PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Ralph Waite

RBA
02-13-2014, 09:45 PM
John Walton Sr.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/waltons-actor-ralph-waite-dead-680278

RedFanAlways1966
02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
The Waltons show reminds me of my childhood. Occasionally I will come across it these days while channel surfing and usually watch a bit. He was really good in the role of John Sr. RIP

cumberlandreds
02-14-2014, 09:58 AM
The Waltons show reminds me of my childhood. Occasionally I will come across it these days while channel surfing and usually watch a bit. He was really good in the role of John Sr. RIP

Same for me. It was a staple in our house when I was growing up. That whole family setting reminded my parents of how they grew up and endured the hardships of the depression. The show had a good cast with good acting from all.

redsmetz
02-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Very interesting bits in the NY Times obit

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/arts/television/ralph-waite-patriarch-in-tv-series-the-waltons-dies-at-85.html

westofyou
02-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Elizabeth Walton: Daddy, where DID you find me?
John Walton, Sr.: Well, hiding behind one of your mamma's smiles, honey.

vaticanplum
02-14-2014, 04:06 PM

Oh jeez

redsfanmia
02-14-2014, 07:58 PM
The Walton's and Little House remind me of simpler times, R.I.P John Walton sr

Rojo
02-18-2014, 08:13 PM

Elizabeth slowly backs out of the room.

marcshoe
02-18-2014, 10:07 PM
The Waltons, Eight is Enough, Dr. Quinn, Breaking Bad, Little House on the Prairie, they just don't make family TV like that anymore.

GAC
02-20-2014, 04:51 AM
Same for me. It was a staple in our house when I was growing up. That whole family setting reminded my parents of how they grew up and endured the hardships of the depression. The show had a good cast with good acting from all.

Same here. Both of my parents grew up in large families during the Depression, and it was rough times. They were pretty close to dirt poor. But growing up it always amazed me and my brothers and sister that Dad looked back on those days with a lot of good memories and fondness. And it was that strong bond of family, even in such circumstances, that held them together. made them closer and stronger. And he always drilled that into us. Even when everyone grew up and went their separate ways my Dad stayed very close to all his siblings, aunts, uncles, and extended family. Yearly reunions were also a big deal with him. We never missed one.

The Waltons was his favorite show. When it came on you shut up, created no interruptions.... and didn't sit in Dad's chair. ;)

GAC
02-20-2014, 04:54 AM
The Waltons, Eight is Enough, Dr. Quinn, Breaking Bad, Little House on the Prairie, they just don't make family TV like that anymore.

Now you got shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy. I've watched a few episodes of FG and I really have no use for it.

cumberlandreds
02-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Same here. Both of my parents grew up in large families during the Depression, and it was rough times. They were pretty close to dirt poor. But growing up it always amazed me and my brothers and sister that Dad looked back on those days with a lot of good memories and fondness. And it was that strong bond of family, even in such circumstances, that held them together. made them closer and stronger. And he always drilled that into us. Even when everyone grew up and went their separate ways my Dad stayed very close to all his siblings, aunts, uncles, and extended family. Yearly reunions were also a big deal with him. We never missed one.

The Waltons was his favorite show. When it came on you shut up, created no interruptions.... and didn't sit in Dad's chair. ;)

My parents were the same way. Both came from families of 9 siblings each. They were very close to all of them. My dad kept up with all of his brothers and sisters and their kids. Both families had reunions for a long time too. My dad side still does even though him and all of his brothers and sisters are now dead. My mom is still living and she has three brothers living. We recently lost an aunt and the ones that could came in for the funeral. I think because they taught family closeness is the reason I am close to my two brothers and sister and their families even though we are all scatterd about now.

GAC
02-21-2014, 05:12 AM
Our family situations are very similar cumberland.

Dom Heffner
02-21-2014, 08:34 AM
The Walton's and Little House remind me of simpler times, R.I.P John Walton sr

Times were never simpler without modern sewers.

westofyou
02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Times were never simpler without modern sewers.

Just found out my sewer is a party line sewer and the city wants me to hook with my own connection, going to cost me 8-10K out of pocket.

Boooooooooooooooooooo