PDA

View Full Version : Latos tore his meniscus

Rando
02-14-2014, 02:00 PM
http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2014/02/14/latos-needs-knee-surgery/

10 days seems way off to me. Torn meniscus is usually unrepairable and almost always comes with torn ACL/MCL/PCL/whatever. Think they're covering up a bigger problem? Even if it is minor, 10 days seems crazy.

Gapper
02-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't be overly concerned. It is possible to still play with a meniscus tear. I just hope they give him plenty of time to recover. It's a long season, and I'd hope they learned their lesson with Cueto last year.

I'm just glad the injury took place during baseball activities.

SunDeck
02-14-2014, 02:43 PM

10 days seems way off to me. Torn meniscus is usually unrepairable and almost always comes with torn ACL/MCL/PCL/whatever. Think they're covering up a bigger problem? Even if it is minor, 10 days seems crazy.

Torn meniscus is indeed not repairable, but it's certainly not like torn ligaments, nor does it almost always come with ligament tears. It's actually pretty trivial, by comparison. Surgery for torn meniscus just means scoping out the little bits that are causing pain. Rest, ice, compression, elevation, therapy to strengthen the muscles and a knee brace.

No pants Mcgee
02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Long term this doesn't sound like a big deal, but for someone who has the reputation of being a slow starter missing a couple weeks of spring training isn't ideal.

Halfway between
02-14-2014, 03:09 PM
I think folks should be more concerned about the bone chips. I wonder how far away Tommy John surgery is....

Lewdog
02-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Well since Latos gets on base maybe one out of every 20 at bats, and won't be asked to steal any bases, I'm not really all that concerned. If this was Billy Hamilton? I would be yelling that the sky is falling.

Halfway between
02-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Well since Latos gets on base maybe one out of every 20 at bats, and won't be asked to steal any bases, I'm not really all that concerned. If this was Billy Hamilton? I would be yelling that the sky is falling.

Come on. You push off on one leg and land on the other every single pitch. If this alters his delivery even a little bit, this is a big deal.

Lewdog
02-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Come on. You push off on one leg and land on the other every single pitch. If this alters his delivery even a little bit, this is a big deal.

No, that's what knee braces are for. He'll have from now, all the way through spring training to get used to pitching with a knee brace.

SunDeck
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
I think folks should be more concerned about the bone chips. I wonder how far away Tommy John surgery is....

The two aren't related, but I agree bone chips in the pitching arm concerns me more then a torn meniscus.

yadontSabo
02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
This was posted in the ORG
From Ctrent.:
FWIW, the technical term for what Latos had done is a partial meniscectomy, not a 'meniscus repair'. Much less serious

Keeping fingers crossed

Halfway between
02-14-2014, 09:00 PM
The two aren't related, but I agree bone chips in the pitching arm concerns me more then a torn meniscus.

I think the two are more related than you think. I heard an MLB trainer suggest that TJ follows bone chips with regularity. Don't be surprised.

Perhaps more concern would be bone spurs rather than chips. Although both involve injury to the elbow.

Trademark
02-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Hope he will be ok

Gapper
02-15-2014, 12:16 PM
According to C Trent this morning, Latos was walking without a limp and not in much pain. Trent said that Latos hasn't even taken pain meds in relation to the surgery.

Jdattilo
02-15-2014, 05:59 PM
I think the two are more related than you think. I heard an MLB trainer suggest that TJ follows bone chips with regularity. Don't be surprised.

Perhaps more concern would be bone spurs rather than chips. Although both involve injury to the elbow.

Article linked on the ORG explains that spurs and chips can be caused by unnatural motion in the joint causing bone to rub on bone.

This unnatural motion can be caused by a loosening of the UCL, which, like a rubber band stretched out too many times, gradually loses its strength and ability to hold the different bones of the elbow in place.

Seems logical that an altered UCL could be more likely to tear.

Hope that's not true, of course.

Scotly
02-15-2014, 10:22 PM

I had this surgery. A week after I was back running. This most painful part was the couple of stitches. The only pain was from the stitches, and that wasn't much.

BigRed91
02-19-2014, 02:11 AM
So in 5 days he's going to be throwing again? I'll take the over please

villain612
02-25-2014, 10:19 PM
I had this surgery. A week after I was back running. This most painful part was the couple of stitches. The only pain was from the stitches, and that wasn't much.

I've never had this surgery but a friend of mine did and what you describe sounds like pretty much what they went through.

An injury to your top guy is not ideal but luckily the season is 30+ days away.

bullseye
03-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Anything new on him?