PDA

View Full Version : Pitching depth

TDogg
02-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Less than a week into Spring Training and Jaime Garcia is already shut down by the Cardinals. Shoulder still isn't right. Cards still have 4 guys ready to take that spot. From what I've seen from you Reds, you have your rotation pretty much set. Could you give me some pitchers on your farm to keep an eye on?

RedlegJake
02-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Robert Stephenson and David Holmberg, Sharky Rogers, Corcino if he can reassert himself, Carlos Contreras (likely in a relief role but he has nasty stuff). Still a ways off but also Michael Lorenzen and Ben Lively, Jon Moscot, Dan Langfield. Really deep crop of very good arms in the lowest levels but most of those will be 2-3 years away or more. Wang and Francis as veteran fodder. Brett Marshall may be ready to step up, too.

PeteRoseDay
02-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Not nearly the depth as your Cardinals...or the talent I should say.

gfas
02-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Not a do or die year by any means, but it'd be nice to see Travieso make some big strides this season.

yadontSabo
02-23-2014, 08:59 PM
From the minor league boards-

"It was a step back last year for Daniel Corcino," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "But I don't think he was ever right. He turned it around in the second half a bit. When he was with us [last spring], his arm slot was low. His stuff was flat. His velocity on both his fastball and slider dropped down. His command kind of fell by the wayside."

During the early days of camp, Price has seen marked improvement. Corcino's velocity, command and confidence seem to have returned.

"This spring, he has been one of the many bright spots," Price said. "He would be that comeback player of the year if he throws like he is now. He would have a dynamite year. He's going to be a guy that would quickly put himself into position to be toward the top of the list of guys that could help us this year."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140222&content_id=68199578&notebook_id=68199404&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

On a Reds Hot Stove League show Tom Browning was talking about spring being important for Corcino on whether he's move to the bullpen or keep starting so this looks like great news.

gfas
02-23-2014, 09:04 PM
That's encouraging... before last year's debacle I had been convinced that he'd stick in the majors as a starter before Cingrani would

jlcomo
02-23-2014, 09:31 PM
It will be interesting to see who gets the 5th starter spot between Martinez & Kelly. Martinez is valuable in the 8th so I'd bet on Kelly getting the first shot at the rotation.

gfas
02-23-2014, 10:56 PM
I was unaware that Martinez would even be in the conversation? Thought it would be Kelly by default.

PeteRoseDay
02-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Martinez has ace or #2 potential from every scout's opinion I have read. He is very much in the conversation for them...and is very young.

gfas
02-24-2014, 01:30 AM
"and is very young"

that's the reason why I think he wouldn't be in the conversation... just doesn't need to be. They're in an enviable position on that front

villain612
02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know when they're projecting Stevenson to get called up?
2015?

I hear his name thrown around these boards a lot and I was just curious. I am pretty ignorant on the Reds' farm system admittedly.

Drugs Delaney
02-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know when they're projecting Stevenson to get called up?
2015?

I hear his name thrown around these boards a lot and I was just curious. I am pretty ignorant on the Reds' farm system admittedly.

I don't think anyone can say with certainty. He is still young and inexperienced, but there were points during last season where scouts were saying he looked good enough to pitch in the majors last summer. He is a pretty special physical talent and decently polished.

I think from a physical standpoint, he was probably ready yesterday. But from an organizational standpoint, do you want to rush him? Or just let him progress his way through the minors at a more normal pace one level at a time? Most likely, you want to see him get AA batters out consistently. Then when he has dominated that level, move him up to AAA and see how he does.

I would guess that with the Reds not having a need at the major league level, he will get 2014 as another developmental year. Maybe a season ending injury on the major league staff changes that but I would bet another year in the minors is the plan.

2015 makes a lot of sense as an arrival date, but the Reds top 5 starters are all under contract for 2015. This is where they probably keep a very close eye on his 2014 minor league performance and decide if he is too good not to have in the 2015 rotation. If he stays on track, he could force the reds to consider trading someone like Cueto or Leake to make room for him which would be a nice "problem " for the Reds to have.

TDogg
02-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the replies! Love to talk baseball. Martinez is being stretched out in SP so it might be him in the #5 slot for us. I've heard nothing but good things about your position prospects (albeit in the low levels) so we might be battling for years to come. I fully expect the Cubs to be competitive in a couple of years too.

villain612
02-24-2014, 06:36 PM
I don't think anyone can say with certainty. He is still young and inexperienced, but there were points during last season where scouts were saying he looked good enough to pitch in the majors last summer. He is a pretty special physical talent and decently polished.

I think from a physical standpoint, he was probably ready yesterday. But from an organizational standpoint, do you want to rush him? Or just let him progress his way through the minors at a more normal pace one level at a time? Most likely, you want to see him get AA batters out consistently. Then when he has dominated that level, move him up to AAA and see how he does.

I would guess that with the Reds not having a need at the major league level, he will get 2014 as another developmental year. Maybe a season ending injury on the major league staff changes that but I would bet another year in the minors is the plan.

2015 makes a lot of sense as an arrival date, but the Reds top 5 starters are all under contract for 2015. This is where they probably keep a very close eye on his 2014 minor league performance and decide if he is too good not to have in the 2015 rotation. If he stays on track, he could force the reds to consider trading someone like Cueto or Leake to make room for him which would be a nice "problem " for the Reds to have.

Thanks for the info. A lot of that makes sense.
With the starting rotation being our strength currently, I think its a good approach not to rush him and let him develop/gain confidence. Out of those names mentioned, I could see him replacing Cueto eventually, who in my opinion will be the odd one out when it comes time to sign (Latos, Cueto, Leake).