PDA

View Full Version : Edgardo Alfonzo

Red Leader
04-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Guys,
Asking your opinions on this one. My current starting lineup consists of:

C: Varitek, 1B: Klesko, 2B: Durham, SS: Garciaparra, 3B: D. Jimenez, OF: S. Green, L. Gonzalez, J. Cruz UTIL: K. Millar, D. Lee, G. Jenkins.

I have Alfonzo on my bench (he was my starter at 3B, but I can't put up with his .167 average) and I have Giles on the DL.

My pitching staff just took a hit with the Big Unit going on the DL. I only have 1 DL spot, so I have no where to put the Unit, but on my bench until Sunday (when he is supposed to be activated).

Should I dump Alfonzo and pick up a pitcher to start until the Unit comes off the DL, and keep my hitting the way it is (ie. not be able to rotate an offensive player off my bench and into my active roster)? I'm going to have to release someone when Giles comes back off the DL, I had planned on it being Jenkins after his little "hot streak" cooled off, but why dump Jenkins when Alfonzo is sucking so bad? What kind of turn around do you think Alfonzo will make? IIRC, Alfonzo got off to a slow start last year, and ended up with a decent year when all was said and done.

I guess what I'm asking is, should I dump Alfonzo and go with Jimenez as my starting 3B longterm? Or do I need to keep Alfonzo as insurance should Jimenez tank it? Aramis Ramirez and Adrian Beltre are on the wire, so I do have insurance should I drop Alfonzo. What should I do? I'm really not liking Alfonzo's production thus far, but I think he is a good hitter in a very good lineup...

EricDavis
04-21-2003, 06:55 PM
I would definately feel free to drop Alfonzo for someone else. He, Beltre and Ramirez have all hit way lower than expected to this point, and odds are at least one will pick it up. Just keep a eye on all of them as well as Jimenez's performance.

As far as needing a SP, Johnson is supposed to make his start next sunday, so he will not be out that long, so I would not worry too much about finding a replacement. So I guess if there is someone to add to your roster that you feel is better than Alfonzo, make the move.

Sabo Fan
04-22-2003, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't plan on going with Jimenez as your starting third baseman for the long-term. I think Alfonzo is going to have better numbers at the end of the season, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade there. See what other owners are looking for in exchange for a 3B. Hinske might come relatively cheap right now as he's struggled early, but he seems to be heating up a bit.

Red Leader
04-22-2003, 11:45 AM
The owner that has Hinske isn't interested in dealing him. One owner I found that might be interested suggested the following trade:

I trade: OF Geoff Jenkins and 3B Edgardo Alfonzo

I get: 3B Mike Lowell

Is that a decent deal? I then have an open spot for when Giles comes off the DL and could pick up:Hee Seop Choi, Milton Bradley, Carlos Lee, Marcus Giles, Karim Garcia, Steve Finley, Aubrey Huff, Randy Winn, or Aramis Ramirez off the wire until Giles gets healthy.

Sabo Fan
04-22-2003, 12:10 PM
I think I'd do that deal. Lowell is solid and I expect him to be dealt to a contender at some point this year so that should boost his numbers.

I'd add either Huff or Ramirez, because Huff offers you more flexibility and I think Ramirez will break out of his slump pretty soon. I'd stay away from Choi, Garcia, Finley, and Bradley.

Johnny Footstool
04-22-2003, 05:48 PM
I would jump on that deal as quickly as possible. Lowell is a Top 10 third baseman -- he's a lot better than Alfonzo. Jenkins is fool's gold, the kind of outfielder you can find on the waiver wire at any time.

Larkin Fan
04-22-2003, 06:04 PM
I would most definitely do that deal. Getting anything for Alfonzo is great. I just dumped him in one of my leagues, simply because he was hurting me so bad.