PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz

PeteRoseDay
03-09-2014, 02:32 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/cardinals-sign-aledmys-diaz.html

They just keep on going... :thumbdown:

Beltway
03-09-2014, 03:00 PM
There's more than a slight chance this guy turns out to be a bust.

PeteRoseDay
03-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Ha, not with the Cardinals' luck.

There's more than a slight chance that any player ever turns out to be a bust.

Assembly Hall
03-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Let's face it. We hate the Cardinals but dang it they are a well ran organization.

LewGra
03-10-2014, 01:09 AM
There's more than a slight chance this guy turns out to be a bust.

Even if he is, he's probably starting in the minors so it won't really hurt them that much. They are most likely going to develop him a little and use him as a bridge between Peralta and someone they can draft/develop for the future.

yadontSabo
03-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Even if he is, he's probably starting in the minors so it won't really hurt them that much. They are most likely going to develop him a little and use him as a bridge between Peralta and someone they can draft/develop for the future.

He and Peralta both have 4 year deals.

LewGra
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM

I doubt Peralta is there more than 2 years.

yadontSabo
03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I doubt Peralta is there more than 2 years.

I could see that but he'd have to perform well enough to be able to trade his contract.

03-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Diaz is likely going to end up at 2B. It seems the Cards aren't that confident in Wong.

rick vaughn
03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
$2 million a year.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cardinals-invest-in-diaz-s-future/article_d1dc311c-4a05-533f-8d5f-16cad9693ac0.html

Pretty much no risk at all for the Cardinals, at that price. Worst case scenario for them, they've increased their budget by less than 2% and don't get a return. Better case scenario for them, they've got insurance in case Wong can't cut it in the majors, or Peralta needs to be moved to third (or either get injured). Best case scenario for them is everybody sticks, and suddenly they've for more depth, and can move that if they need another piece.

Given how many teams dropped out, and how much the price plummetted, it seems clear he's not likely to live up to the hype he had a few weeks ago. But the flipside of that is that it caused this to be a virtually risk free move.

LewGra
03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Diaz is likely going to end up at 2B. It seems the Cards aren't that confident in Wong.

He'll be starting at SS in the minors so I don't see how that effects their plans for Wong.

jlcomo
03-10-2014, 09:53 PM

He'll have at least 2 years of arbitration after the 4 year contract is up. He's with the Cardinals for 6 years if he's any good. Really more than that actually. If he doesn't play in the big leagues this year (which he probably won't) and then makes his debut next year he'll have 7 years with the organization before he'll reach free agency.

At $8M and with no real SS prospects in the organization it's a low risk gamble. I saw where Callis said he'd probably slide in at number 4 or 5 in their prospect list right now.

yadontSabo
03-10-2014, 10:21 PM
He'll have at least 2 years of arbitration after the 4 year contract is up. He's with the Cardinals for 6 years if he's any good. Really more than that actually. If he doesn't play in the big leagues this year (which he probably won't) and then makes his debut next year he'll have 7 years with the organization before he'll reach free agency.

At $8M and with no real SS prospects in the organization it's a low risk gamble. I saw where Callis said he'd probably slide in at number 4 or 5 in their prospect list right now.

I agree by getting him for 8m this is a smart low risk deal. Especially for a team that has plenty of payroll flexibility.

03-10-2014, 11:03 PM
He'll be starting at SS in the minors so I don't see how that effects their plans for Wong.

Diaz projects to play 2B in the majors. Maybe it doesn't affect their plans for Wong, but starting him as a SS means very little. Lots of prospects start off as SS. Very few end up there.

Rando
03-11-2014, 08:40 AM
[Forget] the Cardinals

PeteRoseDay
03-11-2014, 09:34 AM
[Forget] the Cardinals

That does seem to be the general consensus around here. I guess when a team has that much success for about 15 years, it happens.

I for one am jealous of their organization.

Kilgore_Trout
03-11-2014, 11:55 AM
That does seem to be the general consensus around here. I guess when a team has that much success for about 15 years, it happens.

I don't understand how one can be genuinely "jealous" of another sports organization.

I'm not dating the Cardinals. When I see the Cardinals flirt with another team in the World Series, I'm not overcome with clammy anxiety. I don't find myself thinking, "Man, if only WE were like THEM!" because at the end of the day, nothing is actually stopping me from hopping on that bandwagon and sticking an Ozzie Smith sticker on my bumper.

I don't like the angst-ridden, self-deprecating Cardinals threads on this board. The Cardinals are both rivals and in our division, so taking an interest in their affairs may be warranted, but the inevitable "well, they have had more success than our measly little Redlegs" is becoming a bore. There's nothing wrong with admiring the Cardinals and their place in the game, nor is there any fault in wanting to emulate their success. I just don't see the need to constantly be reminded that WE aren't THEM.

PeteRoseDay
03-11-2014, 12:44 PM
I don't understand how one can be genuinely "jealous" of another sports organization.

I'm not dating the Cardinals. When I see the Cardinals flirt with another team in the World Series, I'm not overcome with clammy anxiety. I don't find myself thinking, "Man, if only WE were like THEM!" because at the end of the day, nothing is actually stopping me from hopping on that bandwagon and sticking an Ozzie Smith sticker on my bumper.

I don't like the angst-ridden, self-deprecating Cardinals threads on this board. The Cardinals are both rivals and in our division, so taking an interest in their affairs may be warranted, but the inevitable "well, they have had more success than our measly little Redlegs" is becoming a bore. There's nothing wrong with admiring the Cardinals and their place in the game, nor is there any fault in wanting to emulate their success. I just don't see the need to constantly be reminded that WE aren't THEM.

So to sum that all up...every person is different. Gotcha.

Kilgore_Trout
03-11-2014, 01:18 PM
So to sum that all up...every person is different. Gotcha.

If that's how you'd like to sum it up, then by all means...

Rando
03-11-2014, 01:23 PM

I'm not jealous of anything. I am sick of their pretentious attitude. They're garbage, please quit posting about them on the REDS forum! Thanks

PS https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

03-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Great article by St. Louis columnist:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/bill-mcclellan/mcclellan-no-more-cardinal-way-please/article_37f8bdbf-8011-5cc1-93c1-e22659888b91.html

I would like to make one minor request. Could we stop this “Cardinal Way” stuff? I am imploring the Best Fans in Baseball: Please, stop.

LewGra
03-11-2014, 02:06 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/bill-mcclellan/mcclellan-no-more-cardinal-way-please/article_37f8bdbf-8011-5cc1-93c1-e22659888b91.html

Isn't that the same guy who said we should stop all the "special treatment" at veteran's funerals?

PeteRoseDay
03-11-2014, 03:17 PM

LOL. If you read the first sentence or two, it's written by a Cubs' fan. Not a St. Louis columnist. Read better?

03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
LOL. If you read the first sentence or two, it's written by a Cubs' fan. Not a St. Louis columnist. Read better?

He's a St. Louis columnist, who is a Cubs fan.

Hal McCoy is an Indian's fan and has been his whole life. C. Trent is a Royals fan.

Granted being a Cubs fan does hurt his reputation, but the article is dead on, in my opinion, and the opinion of many Cardinal fans I grew up with.

PeteRoseDay
03-11-2014, 03:51 PM
He's a St. Louis columnist, who is a Cubs fan.

Hal McCoy is an Indian's fan and has been his whole life. C. Trent is a Royals fan.

Granted being a Cubs fan does hurt his reputation, but the article is dead on, in my opinion, and the opinion of many Cardinal fans I grew up with.

So you are jealous as well. Big surprise? Join the group.

03-11-2014, 03:55 PM
So you are jealous as well. Big surprise? Join the group.

lol. Never jealous of any team. Proud to be a Reds fan for life.

PeteRoseDay
03-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm proud as well, but face it. We haven't had success since 1990. For the past few years I definitely saw us as the team to beat in the NL central. That time has clearly passed. Let's just hope it comes back around again in a few years or so.

I'm not saying we can't win, but I at least like to be ranked favorites in the NL, let alone the division.

03-11-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm proud as well, but face it. We haven't had success since 1990. For the past few years I definitely saw us as the team to beat in the NL central. That time has clearly passed. Let's just hope it comes back around again in a few years or so.

I'm not saying we can't win, but I at least like to be ranked favorites in the NL, let alone the division.

Reds were ranked as favorites in the NL just last year by most experts. The same way the Cards are ranked this year.

There really isn't as much difference in talent between the two organizations as some are making out right now, just like there wasn't as much last year the other way.

PeteRoseDay
03-11-2014, 07:46 PM
That is what people that hate the Cardinal's organization want to believe with bias. Their offense is leaps and bounds above ours. I think our rotation is slightly better and I would call the bullpens a wash. Although, if they have Siegrist in the 7th, Martinez in the 8th, and Rosenthal in the 9th, their late inning relievers are much better than ours.

Besides that, the Cardinals have more of, or are better in every aspect. Depth, minor league talent, money to spend, and attendance.

Even after promoting a ton of rookies last year, they still have 4 or 5 players in the top 100 prospects on most lists. They just keep drafting, signing, and developing talent and it doesn't seem to end.

That is what frustrates me the most. Not only is their major league team better already, but they have far more money to spend and prospects to call up.

I just can't help but see our window closing slowly.

03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
That is what people that hate the Cardinal's organization want to believe with bias. Their offense is leaps and bounds above ours. I think our rotation is slightly better and I would call the bullpens a wash. Although, if they have Siegrist in the 7th, Martinez in the 8th, and Rosenthal in the 9th, their late inning relievers are much better than ours.

Besides that, the Cardinals have more of, or are better in every aspect. Depth, minor league talent, money to spend, and attendance.

Even after promoting a ton of rookies last year, they still have 4 or 5 players in the top 100 prospects on most lists. They just keep drafting, signing, and developing talent and it doesn't seem to end.

That is what frustrates me the most. Not only is their major league team better already, but they have far more money to spend and prospects to call up.

I just can't help but see our window closing slowly.

Last year, everyone was saying the Reds were the dominant team in the NL Central, head and shoulders above the Cards and Pirates.

We'll see...

PeteRoseDay
03-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Last year, everyone was saying the Reds were the dominant team in the NL Central, head and shoulders above the Cards and Pirates.

We'll see...

"Head and shoulders". That is just a biased lie.

The Cardinals had the #1 ranked farm system in baseball heading into the 2013 season with a strong major league team. It was expected that many of those prospects would graduate to the big league club, which they did (Rosenthal, Siegrist, Wong, Miller, Adams). Many top prospects. Even after Carpenter went down, many analysts still predicted St. Louis to be the team to beat.

Now it isn't nearly as close, and the Cardinals still have a better farm and more depth waiting in the minors. I'm just a realist. I don't get butthurt when a team in my division beats the Reds down year after year. I just love baseball.

Now onto your next biased opinion...

03-11-2014, 11:56 PM

The Cardinals had the #1 ranked farm system in baseball heading into the 2013 season with a strong major league team. It was expected that many of those prospects would graduate to the big league club, which they did (Rosenthal, Siegrist, Wong, Miller, Adams). Many top prospects. Even after Carpenter went down, many analysts still predicted St. Louis to be the team to beat.

Now it isn't nearly as close, and the Cardinals still have a better farm and more depth waiting in the minors. I'm just a realist. I don't get butthurt when a team in my division beats the Reds down year after year. I just love baseball.

The Sporting News Predicts Reds Will Win 2013 NL Central (http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2013-03-26/mlb-predictions-2013-tigers-nationals-yankees-giants-reds-athletics-repeat-divis)

The way I see it, four of last season’s division winners—Detroit Tigers, Washington Nationals, Cincinnati Reds and San Francisco Giants—will open this season as favorites to repeat. A fifth, the New York Yankees, can’t be disregarded for no other reason than winning is in their DNA. And after last season, one would be foolish to count out the Oakland A’s before a single game has been played.

Fangraphs Project Reds Will Win 2013 NL Central (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2013-fangraphs-staff-predictions/)

NL West: Giants
NL Central: Reds
NL East: Nationals
NL Wild Card: Braves
NL Wild Card: Cardinals

The division winners were all pretty clear, but the Wild Card was tougher, as the Braves, Cardinals, and Dodgers all got a decent amount of support from our authors. In the end, 25 of the 31 voters had Atlanta making the playoffs, so they secured the first wild card spot, and then theCardinals edged out the Dodgers for the final playoff spot with a few extra votes.

Baseball Prospectus Projects Reds Will Win 2013 NL Central (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19873)

Sports Illustrated Predict Reds Will Win 2013 NL Central (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130325/mlb-preview-staff-predictions/)

Yahoo Sports Predicts Reds Will Win 2013 NL Central (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb--mlb-season-predictions--2013-division-and-playoff-races-055136969.html)

CBS Sports Predicts Reds Will Win 2013 NL Central (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/21969577/2013-mlb-cbssportscom-expert-predictions)

JayStubbs
03-12-2014, 12:36 AM

Since 2010, the Reds have won the NL Central twice. The Cardinals have won it just once, which was last year.

There is a reason why you weren't "butthurt" when a team beat the Reds year after year. It's because it didn't happen. Now if you were a Cardinal fan, then you'd have a reason.

The Operator
03-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Alright, let's clean it up a bit. Once terms like "butthurt" start getting thrown around it's always downhill from there so let's stop it before it starts. We're better than that.

RedTeamGo!
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
haha not a Workaholics fan?

PeteRoseDay
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
You said "everyone" said the Reds were the team to beat. Then you listed just the sources you could find. It wasn't unanimous.

The Cardinals make it farther than the Reds every year, but if you guys are fine with just winning the division, so be it. I am looking for a World Series win no matter who wins the division.

My point is that it is getting harder and harder to do so with the Cardinals talent increasing, and the Reds talent decreasing. The loss of Arroyo, but especially Choo, is going to hurt.

I do like Cingrani a lot, but can he put up the innings?

I love Hamilton, but who knows what his numbers will be ilke (I'm not talking about only SB like some here focus on)?

Then there are countless other question marks in the lineup, let alone the depth if injuries occur.

RedTeamGo!
03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
You said "everyone" said the Reds were the team to beat. Then you listed just the sources you could find. It wasn't unanimous.

hahaha, what? What do you want him to do? Track down every single prediction for the 2013 season?

Sporting News, Fangraphs, Baseball Prospectus, Yahoo! Sports, CBSsports, and Sports Illustrated is a fairly conclusive list.

Beltway
03-12-2014, 01:31 PM

The Cardinals make it farther than the Reds every year, but if you guys are fine with just winning the division, so be it. I am looking for a World Series win no matter who wins the division.

My point is that it is getting harder and harder to do so with the Cardinals talent increasing, and the Reds talent decreasing. The loss of Arroyo, but especially Choo, is going to hurt.

I do like Cingrani a lot, but can he put up the innings?

I love Hamilton, but who knows what his numbers will be ilke (I'm not talking about only SB like some here focus on)?

Then there are countless other question marks in the lineup, let alone the depth if injuries occur.
I think what he really meant was that the consensus was that the Reds were the best team in the NL Central heading into 2013. I would agree with that statement. The Reds were the consensus favorites in 2013. I don't doubt that some people picked the Cardinals over the Reds, but they were in the minority.

Kilgore_Trout
03-12-2014, 02:35 PM
So to sum up this thread:

1) we are the Cincinnati Reds and not the St. Louis Cardinals
2) the Reds have not equaled the success of the Cardinals for over two-decades
3) anyone who illustrates optimism about the Reds is being biased
4) anyone who points out that the Reds were heavily favored to win the division in 2013 is being selective in their sources, and thus biased
5) Reds fans must constantly be reminded of their inherent bias, as well as the fact that they are not now, nor ever will be, the St. Louis Cardinals

This has been a very enlightening exercise.

yadontSabo
03-12-2014, 04:21 PM
So to sum up this thread:

1) we are the Cincinnati Reds and not the St. Louis Cardinals
2) the Reds have not equaled the success of the Cardinals for over two-decades
3) anyone who illustrates optimism about the Reds is being biased
4) anyone who points out that the Reds were heavily favored to win the division in 2013 is being selective in their sources, and thus biased
5) Reds fans must constantly be reminded of their inherent bias, as well as the fact that they are not now, nor ever will be, the St. Louis Cardinals

This has been a very enlightening exercise.

Now shuffle your feet over to the nearest rain covered window and peer out into the distance while periodically sighing like a good Reds fan should.

PeteRoseDay
03-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Maybe I was a bit harsh, but I get very frustrated when my team has the disadvantage in absolutely every aspect:

Major league talent - check
Minor league talent - check
Depth - check
Money - check
Attendance - check
Success - check

The future is not too bright through my eyes.

LewGra
03-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Since 2010, the Reds have won the NL Central twice. The Cardinals have won it just once, which was last year.

There is a reason why you weren't "butthurt" when a team beat the Reds year after year. It's because it didn't happen. Now if you were a Cardinal fan, then you'd have a reason.

If I were a Cardinal fan, I'd be happier with going to the NLCS and WS rather than just a division title.

JayStubbs
03-12-2014, 08:22 PM
If I were a Cardinal fan, I'd be happier with going to the NLCS and WS rather than just a division title.

If I get a promotion over you, but you win the lottery, you'd be happier for sure. But I would still be better than you ;)

03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Maybe I was a bit harsh, but I get very frustrated when my team has the disadvantage in absolutely every aspect:

Major league talent - check
Minor league talent - check
Depth - check
Money - check
Attendance - check
Success - check

The future is not too bright through my eyes.

From 1970-1979, the only two teams to win the NL West were the Dodgers and the Reds. The Reds won it 6 times, and won the World Series twice. The Dodgers won it 4 times and won the World Series twice.

At various points, I am sure both teams' fans felt frustrated, but when it was all said and done, both teams had a great decade that both set of fans could be exceptionally proud of.

I have a feeling the 2010-2019 decade will be very similar with the Reds and Cardinals and the NL Central.

In other words, stop being a whiny Cardinal and just enjoy the success of both teams.

PeteRoseDay
03-12-2014, 11:03 PM
I wasn't born until 84, so I don't feel the same toward the baseball eras before I was alive. I really care most about baseball since I became a huge fan in the early 2000s, and since then it has been all Cardinals.

I would rather be "whiny" and successful than unsuccessful and miserable, but many Reds' fans are just unsuccessful AND whiny.

I doubt the 2010-2019 decade will be very similar to your scenario 40 years ago. The Cardinals have been to the last 3 NLCS and 2 of 3 World Series. Can we win just 1 playoff series before we start comparing us to them?

Sorry, but our organization doesn't compare.

Beltway
03-12-2014, 11:33 PM
I wasn't born until 84, so I don't feel the same toward the baseball eras before I was alive. I really care most about baseball since I became a huge fan in the early 2000s, and since then it has been all Cardinals.

I would rather be "whiny" and successful than unsuccessful and miserable, but many Reds' fans are just unsuccessful AND whiny.

I doubt the 2010-2019 decade will be very similar to your scenario 40 years ago. The Cardinals have been to the last 3 NLCS and 2 of 3 World Series. Can we win just 1 playoff series before we start comparing us to them?

How many times are you going to repeat yourself? This is getting old.

JayStubbs
03-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Simply hypothetically speaking here. Not aimed at any poster in particular ;)

You know, if I were a Cardinal fan that wanted to go on a Reds forum and talk about how great Cardinals are this is what I would do.

I would create a username based on the most popular player in Reds history, then enter every thread that mentions the Cardinals and constantly repeat how much better they are than the Reds.

And you also know what? I can't think of a single Reds fan that would be so insistent about how much worse they are than the Cardinals. Not even FCB.

03-13-2014, 12:15 AM

Since 2010.

Cards won 361 games for a .557 winning percentage.
Reds won 357 games for a .551 winning percentage.

Cards won one World Series, two NL titles, one division title and two wild card titles.
Reds won two division titles and one wild card title.

They compare very nicely.

If you value post season results over regular season results, I suggest you become a Marlins fan, but not a Braves fan.

From 1993 to 2003:

Marlins won 683 games for a .473 winning percentage.
Braves won 881 games for a .611 winning percentage.

Marlins won two World Series titles, zero division title and two wild card titles.
Braves won one World Series title, nine division titles and three NL titles.

Post season success these days just doesn't mean much in terms of how good of an organization a team is. Regular season success does.

Beltway
03-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Do you mean 1993 to 2003? The Marlins won their second title in 2003.

PeteRoseDay
03-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Since 2010.

Cards won 361 games for a .557 winning percentage.
Reds won 357 games for a .551 winning percentage.

Cards won one World Series, two NL titles, one division title and two wild card titles.
Reds won two division titles and one wild card title.

They compare very nicely.

If you value post season results over regular season results, I suggest you become a Marlins fan, but not a Braves fan.

From 1993 to 2002:

Marlins won 683 games for a .473 winning percentage.
Braves won 881 games for a .611 winning percentage.

Marlins won two World Series titles, zero division title and two wild card titles.
Braves won one World Series title, nine division titles and three NL titles.

Post season success these days just doesn't mean much in terms of how good of an organization a team is. Regular season success does.

Since 2000, the Cardinals have won 1,274 games. The Reds have won 1,108.

Since 2010, the Cardinals have been to 2 World Series and came 1 win away from another, and also to 3 NLCS. The Reds have been to none.

Since 2004, the Cardinals have been to 4 World Series, and 2 wins, and 6 NLCS. The Reds have been to none.

They do not compare very nicely at all. See, I can pick and choose too.

As for your comment, "Post season success these days just doesn't mean much in terms of how good of an organization a team is. Regular season success does." That is exactly the mindset of people that don't win championships. I am sick of fellow Reds fans being okay with winning the division and passing it off as success.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread. I think I've educated you a bit.

03-13-2014, 01:09 AM
Do you mean 1993 to 2003? The Marlins won their second title in 2003.

Yes. Thank you.

BigRed91
03-13-2014, 02:46 AM
Wait I thought this was a thread about Aledmys Diaz? How in the world are ppl talking about a cardinal way article and comparing the cardinals and reds accomplishments.. lol seriously guys?

RedTeamGo!
03-13-2014, 07:06 AM
The Cardinals have been to the last 3 NLCS and 2 of 3 World Series. Can we win just 1 playoff series before we start comparing us to them?

This is basically all you post on this site, you are either a trolling Cardinals fan or a really strange Reds fan.

RedTeamGo!
03-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Wait I thought this was a thread about Aledmys Diaz? How in the world are ppl talking about a cardinal way article and comparing the cardinals and reds accomplishments.. lol seriously guys?

A trolling Cardinals fan took it over.

RedlegJake
03-13-2014, 07:25 AM
This thread is done. Nothing close to the original is being discussed and the original was Cards-centric so I think at this point the topic(s) here are finis.