PDA

View Full Version : Didi Gregorius

JMO
03-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Looks like the Reds are one of 4 teams that are interested in trading for Gregorius. I would be all for getting him back with the Reds, he'd actually be the perfect fit. Walt has already made 2 trades with Arizona, so a 3rd could be likely and plausible. I have no idea what it would take to reacquire him, but it seems that Chris Owings will be the starting SS for the DBacks on Opening Day.

I would call Towers and start the conversation on what it would take, I would offer Neftali Soto and Corcino. Gullion and Duran could be possibilities as well.
IMHO, I believe the Reds need to find a way to keep BOTH Bernadina and Chris Nelson, both cold be very valuable to the Reds in 2014. Acquiring Didi would cause a roster crunch, but it would be well worth it.

If this happens or bench would be:

Heisey
Schumaker
B Pena
Gregorius
?

The 5th spot could be a HUGE battle between Bernadina, Nelson, Hannahan, Santiago and Soto. Most likely would go to Nelson BC of his ability to back up Frazier and 3B, plus he will play 1B, 2B and LF. Then we would lose Bernadina. A lot of possibilities, but If we could somehow get Gregorius back, Walt should be praised(depends on what we give up). This all changes if Hannahan is healthy, but I would release him if this scenario happened.

Without Did coming back, this should be our Opening Day bench:

Heisey, Schumaker, Pena, Bernadina, Nelson

Hannahan on the DL, Soto in AAA and Santiago released

If Heisey puts it together, Pena and Schumaker play like they did last year and BOTH Bernadina and Nelson bounce back and put up similar numbers as they did in 2012, the Reds would have one the best benches in all of MLB. I am excited about the prospects of the Reds in 2014.

RedlegJake
03-18-2014, 07:48 PM
The D'Backs want a big return for Gregorious. he is made further expendable because they have 3 of their top 30 prospects at SS. So he is available but the D'Backs want a top flight young catcher in return specifically. They already turned down Kevin Plawecki as not being enough in return. They said someone on the lines of Travis D'Arnaud type talent. Not sure the Reds really match up.

Tuff Nut
03-18-2014, 11:25 PM
The D'Backs want a big return for Gregorious. he is made further expendable because they have 3 of their top 30 prospects at SS. So he is available but the D'Backs want a top flight young catcher in return specifically. They already turned down Kevin Plawecki as not being enough in return. They said someone on the lines of Travis D'Arnaud type talent. Not sure the Reds really match up.

I'd offer them Barnhart, thou I really like the kid, plus Corcino and Travieso, if they want a vet, I'll toss in Hannahan.

marcshoe
03-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Shoot, I'd toss in Hannahan whether they want him or not. I'd rather have Nelson on the roster anyway. I just don't know that Barnhart, who I like, would get it done.

03-19-2014, 01:44 AM
Didi lost his job as starting SS after a full season to show what he can do. No team is going to give up a top catching prospect for him.

The D-Backs might want a Travis d'Arnaud type in return for Didi, but I can't see them getting it. To be honest, no one really knows what the market price for Didi is.

RedlegJake
03-19-2014, 03:39 AM
Didi lost his job as starting SS after a full season to show what he can do. No team is going to give up a top catching prospect for him.

The D-Backs might want a Travis d'Arnaud type in return for Didi, but I can't see them getting it. To be honest, no one really knows what the market price for Didi is.

Sometimes you ask the sky and take the best you get offered, sometimes you just keep the guy. Only a year ago Towers was all enamored of Didi - now he wants to trade him? I really think what he's doing is dangling Didi to see just how good an offer he can get and he's starting high. If the Mets did offer Plawecki and he balked at that then I doubt he's that serious about moving him.

Mike Honcho
03-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Throwing in Hannahan doesn't enhance the trade lol

Rando
03-19-2014, 08:25 AM
I don't want him if we have to give up Soto

RedTeamGo!
03-19-2014, 08:32 AM
I don't want him if we have to give up Soto

Why in the world not? Soto has no place on the big league roster with Joey Votto on the team.

RedlegJake
03-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Why in the world not? Soto has no place on the big league roster with Joey Votto on the team.

I agree. Soto needs to have a great year in AAA and build his trade value back to a peak so they can deal him to an AL team where his bat will be valued despite his defensive deficiencies. He really can only play first. I don't take the thing with him catching too seriously at all. (Although if he became even a Taubensee type defender behind the dish his bat would make him valuable to the Reds).

reagansdaddy
03-19-2014, 12:50 PM
I agree. Soto needs to have a great year in AAA and build his trade value back to a peak so they can deal him to an AL team where his bat will be valued despite his defensive deficiencies. He really can only play first. I don't take the thing with him catching too seriously at all. (Although if he became even a Taubensee type defender behind the dish his bat would make him valuable to the Reds).

If I were running the show, I'd have Soto taking fly balls in LF all day long. He absolutely cannot be much worse out there than Ludwick and I believe his bat would be a HUGE upgrade.

RedTeamGo!
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
I believe his bat would be a HUGE upgrade.

Why do you believe Soto's bat would be a huge upgrade over Ludwick?

JMO
03-19-2014, 01:54 PM
I would offer Corcino, Holmberg, Soto, Gullion, Duran, etc. I honestly want BOTH Bernadina and Nelson on this team, so I think a Didi trade would be unlikely at this point, but I would welcome it anyway. Also, Soto needs to be taking fly balls in LF as well.

markymark69
03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
All of that is way too much to offer for a guy who will be our back-up shortstop. I like Gregorius but c'mon.

RedTeamGo!
03-19-2014, 03:21 PM
He wouldn't be a backup, he would replace Cozart.

UPRedsFan
03-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Are you sure about that? Have you looked at Didi's July, Aug and Sept numbers last year? And have you seen what he's doing in spring training admidst a battle for the starting job? I wonder about his offense and how much better he'd be than Cozart. He can't hit LHP so maybe they platoon.

RedTeamGo!
03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Cozart is also 5 years older

Kilgore_Trout
03-19-2014, 03:53 PM
While I believe that Gregorius is the better shortstop, I don't see the Reds making a serious play at him. From what I could gather from the link provided ORG's thread on the same topic, the Diamondbacks are looking for catching and pitching in return. Does one or both of Holmberg/Corcino along with Barnhart get it done? I don't think that it does. Either way, how badly do we want to hurt our pitching depth to replace Cozart with a guy who is only marginally better?

If we had a suitable backup for Cozart at the major/minor league level, maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.

RedsBrick
03-19-2014, 05:31 PM
I certainly don't see this team trading for anyone to replace Cozart.

BigRed91
03-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Gregorius? That name sounds familiar hmm. Seriously though I don't see a fit unless Towers gives him away, which is actually entirely possible. Towers is a freakin idiot.

markymark69
03-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Even if they were trading for him to be the starter (which I'm confident they're not) the initial proposal was way too much. He has potential, but his numbers are not worthy of that much going the other way in a trade.

RedlegJake
03-22-2014, 09:51 AM
markymark has it - the D'Backs are asking the moon for Gregorious and will likely just keep him if a good offer doesn't come around. I'd love him back if the price was a guy like SHarky Rogers or Holmberg straight up but that isn't going to get it done. Also, the Tigers or Mets would likely jump in if that's all it took, and up the ante.

William
03-25-2014, 09:53 AM
I am a pretty big fan of Didi, I was a little disappointed when we had to trade him last year, even though I loved getting Choo. With that, I don't see Towers trading Didi, I remember when they required him last winter and he said that Didi could be the next Derek Jeter. While I saw that as a huge over exaggeration, I don't think after one year the Diamondbacks are ready to trade away someone that they're so hyped about.

BigRed91
03-27-2014, 06:16 PM
There have been multiple reports they're shopping him. Owings was always pretty much projected to be better overall. Between his hot start last year, and Towers hyperbole he seems to be getting overrated.

Assembly Hall
03-30-2014, 09:27 AM
All of that is way too much to offer for a guy who will be our back-up shortstop. I like Gregorius but c'mon.

Naw, he would start at second after we deal BP!