PDA

View Full Version : Which MLB Teams Overperform in Popularity?

jlcomo
04-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Pretty cool link.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/searching-for-the-most-popular-mlb-teams-relatively/

10xWSChamps
04-03-2014, 10:34 PM
The ranking of the Pirates on this is surprising to me. The rest, not so much. Pirates are especially surprising considering the numbers say that they are from 04-14. If it were from last year the Pirates would not be that surprising given their sudden rise. But over the past decade? Quite surprising. I guess they have a pretty good fan base, especially considering I am sure they are in the bottom 1/4 in wins from that time period.

Kilgore_Trout
04-04-2014, 07:54 PM
The ranking of the Pirates on this is surprising to me. The rest, not so much. Pirates are especially surprising considering the numbers say that they are from 04-14. If it were from last year the Pirates would not be that surprising given their sudden rise. But over the past decade? Quite surprising. I guess they have a pretty good fan base, especially considering I am sure they are in the bottom 1/4 in wins from that time period.

I agree. You'd think that a few decades of futility would put a damper in their numbers, but that really doesn't appear to be the case. Not a fan of Pittsburgh, but they do seem to have a solid fan base, regardless of the sport.

Outside of Pittsburgh, I'm not terribly surprised by these figures. I didn't expect to see Anaheim so low, and I thought the Brewers would be a bit higher. Overall, it was an interesting read. :thumbup: