PDA

View Full Version : Yadier Molina HOF bound?

Don Votto
04-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Looking at Baseball-Reference, Yadier Molina's Hall of Fame Monitor score is at 74, with the average Hall of Famer catcher being at 100.

If Molina stays the course, and catches 130-140 games a season, and if he can keep his career average OVER .275--then Molina's Hall of Fame Monitor score will have an additional 45 points to his HOF Monitor score, which would put him at 119 points. (This would not include any ADDITIONAL points Molina would receive if the Cardinals would win the division, NLCS or World Series.

I believe Molina is the finest catcher in the major leagues right now. On WLW, last Tuesday, Tracy Jones mused he would take Molina right now over any other major leaguer, and while I believe Tracy's comments are often just for anger or laughter, he backed his comment up by pointing out that paraphrasing a conversation in which LaRussa stated that of all the players LaRussa coached,

Molina was the most important and valuable of them all

Keep in mind, LaRussa coached 8 Hall of Famers and at least ONE Hall of Fame catcher: Carlton Fisk, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Reggie Jackson, Goose Gossage, Rickey Henderson, Dennis Eckersley, and Ozzie Smith.

As well as some pretty good all-stars, such as Pujols, McGwire, Canseco, Stewart, Baines, and the list could go on and on.

Anyways, thoughts?

mattfeet
04-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Without a doubt, IMO.

No pants Mcgee
04-06-2014, 07:20 PM
No doubt he has a chance, but right now you look at his offensive numbers .284/.339/.405/.743 91HR 549RBI in over 4000 at bats isn't hall of fame worthy. He gets a big boost for his defense, but still has to build on those numbers to be put with Bench, Piazza, Fisk, Berra, etc.

Kilgore_Trout
04-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Barring an unforeseen drop in production, I'd say he has a better than 50% chance of getting inducted into the HOF someday. He's been a leader, an MVP candidate and his teams have won multiple pennants and World Series. That's not counting the All-Star games, Gold Gloves, and Silver Sluggers.

I may boo him when he steps into the batters-box, but I admire him greatly. He's kind of the Barry Larkin of catchers to me.