PDA

View Full Version : 6/5/2014 Reds vs Giants DAY GAME

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Reds lineup already out. Mez catching the day game after a night game. Heisey in LF. Need to keep winning series, so today's game is very important.

1. Billy Hamilton (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (S) CF
2. Todd Frazier (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (R) 3B
3. Brandon Phillips (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (R) 2B
4. Devin Mesoraco (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (R) C
5. Jay Bruce (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (L) RF
6. Chris Heisey (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (R) LF
7. Brayan Pena (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (S) 1B
8. Zack Cozart (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (R) SS
9. Mike Leake (http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups#) (R) P

Ironman92
06-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Yay! My son and I are in 145 row A......we'll be waving

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 11:46 AM
This is the MLBTV free game of the day.

Ironman92
06-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Seated

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/yhy4uze9.jpg

Ironman92
06-05-2014, 12:19 PM
BP and Kung Fu

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/zery3e6u.jpg

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Giants go out in order in the top of the 1st.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Frazier!!!!!!!!! HR!!!!!!!!!

villain612
06-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Todd Frazier is the best 3rd basemen in the NL so far this year. Deserves the All Star game.

villain612
06-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Reds are making solid contact so far.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Reds lead 1-0 after one. If not for a nice catch by Pence off the bat of Hamilton it would have been more.

Ironman92
06-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Hi Billyhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/rysyhuhy.jpg

villain612
06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Those 2 run homers are getting old.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Morse with a two run HR. Blahhhhhh.............

Cedric
06-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Thank god Walt doesn't ever sign competent veteran players like Michael Morse on one year deals. Much better bet to overpay on extended deals to guys like Ludwick who caught fire for two months.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Thank god Walt doesn't ever sign competent veteran players like Michael Morse on one year deals. Much better bet to overpay on extended deals to guys like Ludwick who caught fire for two months.

Curious: when was the last time you had a positive post?

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Giants go out in order after the Morse HR. 2-1 Giants in the 2nd.

villain612
06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Yes, it was madness to extend a guy coming off an .877 OPS season.

PuffyPig
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM

LIke when Walt originally signed Ludwick, a competent veteran coming off a poor year?

Morse was horrible last year, that's why he got a 1 year deal only. You think if he continues to hit a .900 OPS he'll get a one year deal again?

I guess the trick is to know whuch players will rebound year to year.

And Ludwick had a solid season, he didn't simply catch fire for 2 months.

Being negative for fun is one thing, at least try to have some semblance of accuracy in your posts please.

Hillsdale87
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Ludwick was signed to a one year deal before the extension

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Reds out in order in the 2nd. 2-1 Giants.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Curious: when was the last time you had a positive post?
I recall several people around here hoping that Jocketty would acquire Morse.

Cedric
06-05-2014, 01:07 PM
LIke when Walt originally signed Ludwick, a competent veteran coming off a poor year?

Morse was horrible last year, that's why he got a 1 year deal only. You think if he continues to hit a .900 OPS he'll get a one year deal again?

Being negative for fun is one thing, at least try to have some semblance of accuracy in your posts please.

He doesn't even attempt that anymore. He gives extended market value deals to every player with a pulse. Zero pay flex left and a bunch of black holes throughout the lineup with no roster depth.

Catch lightning in a bottle as a Red and Walt might extend you for life and then claim his hands are tied.

Cedric
06-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Morse had a wrist injury last year by the way. He's exactly the kind of player the Reds should target but can't because Walt either thinks this is
New York or doesn't care because he will be retired/dead by the time all of this deferred money is owed.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Catch lightning in a bottle as a Red and Walt might extend you for life and then claim his hands are tied.
Totally agree.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 01:10 PM
He doesn't even attempt that anymore. He gives extended market value deals to every player with a pulse. Zero pay flex left and a bunch of black holes throughout the lineup with no roster depth.

2 year extension + an option = for life now? Interesting.

Cedric
06-05-2014, 01:11 PM
2 year extension + an option = for life now? Interesting.

It'll be his last contract I bet. Basically his whole baseball life.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Reds appealing a safe call at first. I think they will win it. Pena looked to stay on the base when the ball was in glove.

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 01:16 PM
I recall several people around here hoping that Jocketty would acquire Morse.
I was one of them, but I ain't gonna complain about it all day.

oneupper
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Morse had a wrist injury last year by the way. He's exactly the kind of player the Reds should target but can't because Walt either thinks this is
New York or doesn't care because he will be retired/dead by the time all of this deferred money is owed.

Morse never played for the Cardinals so he was out of all consideration.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
It was a 2 year extension for a guy coming off of a really good season. You are wringing your hands over 1 additional season. Take a step back and think about it for a moment. There is no way Walt could have foreseen a massive shoulder injury on the first day of the season.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Reds get the call! Good omen for the game.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 01:19 PM
It's the Jocketty MO. Very reluctant to make changes. Like he values the known over the unknown, or hates the idea of changing the clubhouse chemistry.

He likes to stick with players all the way down....through the career death spirals. Casual fans like some of us aren't always as emotionally connected.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 01:20 PM
I was one of them, but I ain't gonna complain about it all day.

I probably did too. The Nationals were the ones crazy enough to let him get away. Their offense has not been the same since they sent him away.

- - - Updated - - -

The call reversal ended the inning. Giants lead the Reds 2-1 in the third.

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 01:21 PM
It was a 2 year extension for a guy coming off of a really good season. You are wringing your hands over 1 additional season. Take a step back and think about it for a moment. There is no way Walt could have foreseen a massive shoulder injury on the first day of the season.
Plus if the Reds let Ludwick walk after 2012 and he goes to Philly or Minny or something, doesn't tear up his shoulder in Cincy, and hits 20+ bombs while the Reds trade for Mike Morse who gets hurt or give the job to Heisey who plays like his normal self, the same people would call Jocketty an absolute idiot for not resigning our second best hitter of 2012.

OGB
06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Plus if the Reds let Ludwick walk after 2012 and he goes to Philly or Minny or something, doesn't tear up his shoulder in Cincy, and hits 20+ bombs while the Reds trade for Mike Morse who gets hurt or give the job to Heisey who plays like his normal self, the same people would call Jocketty an absolute idiot for not resigning our second best hitter of 2012.

Exactly. Hindsight is 20/20

PuffyPig
06-05-2014, 01:23 PM

And he would have been......

Cedric
06-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Exactly. Hindsight is 20/20

Plenty of people had concerns with extending Ryan Ludwick.

- - - Updated - - -

And he would have been......

Nobody is more shtick and predictable than you. Pot meet kettle.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Meanwhile a game is going on.....Giants lead the Reds 2-1 after three.

Cedric
06-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Sorry for detailing game thread. Go Reds

malcontent
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I don't think so. Ludwick had the age thing going, plus the fact he had sucked for the previous two years.

I personally didn't expect him to fall so flat this year, but there it is.

PuffyPig
06-05-2014, 01:37 PM
I don't think so. Ludwick had the age thing going, plus the fact he had sucked for the previous two years.

I personally didn't expect him to fall so flat this year, but there it is.

FWIW, Ludwick is off to a better start in 2014 that he was in 2012.

Ironman92
06-05-2014, 01:37 PM
15 feet from that bomb

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Ugh. If you are going to get beat, can it at least be by Pence/Morse/Posey and not Juan Perez and Brandon Crawford?

traderumor
this game is ovuh

Kc61
This game is about over. When Leake starts to give up the long ball, it's goodnight. He needs to keep the ball on the ground. Probably to be expected, he was pitching incredibly well, due for this.

Reds have Hamels tomorrow, he's very tough on them. Then two Phils righties who Reds might get to.

Then LA for four games, Dodgers haven't played that well, I could see Reds winning some of those.

Not sure I see the big winning streak coming up to close the deficit. Not in the near term. But you never know.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 01:39 PM
This game is going to pot in a hurry. Three run HR by Crawford and its 5-1 Giants. Leake is getting lit up pretty good.

Kc61
06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Look on the bright side. I'm sure we'll get to see Sean Marshall continue rehabbing in major league games.

Hoover is up, he's been used a lot lately, might want to give him a rest.

Might also be a good game to let Mesoraco play some LF or 1B and to try four or five different guys at shortstop.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
this game is ovuh

But Cozart! Heisey!

cumberlandreds
Giants are mercifully out. 5-1 in the 4th.

Kc61
Thom talking about the Reds not getting many walks.

Last 14 games Reds with a 3.3% walk rate. Lowest in major league baseball. Doesn't count today.

06-05-2014, 01:49 PM
This game is about over. When Leake starts to give up the long ball, it's goodnight. He needs to keep the ball on the ground. Probably to be expected, he was pitching incredibly well, due for this.

Reds have Hamels tomorrow, he's very tough on them. Then two Phils righties who Reds might get to.

Then LA for four games, Dodgers haven't played that well, I could see Reds winning some of those.

Not sure I see the big winning streak coming up to close the deficit. Not in the near term. But you never know.

I believe it was you that posted awhile ago that this was a tough stretch for the Reds. They look to get out if it around .500, probably a few games below. If they get Latos, Votto and Bruce back and producing, a big if, but if that happens, with an easier schedule coming up, and with the Cards not pulling away, there's still good reason for hope.

kbrake
06-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Thom talking about the Reds not getting many walks.

Last 14 games Reds with a 3.3% walk rate. Lowest in major league baseball. Doesn't count today.

Yet him and his Dad constantly rail against the one guy on the team who actually is capable of drawing walks.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 01:52 PM
It's no great sin to be the last Norway rat off the Titanic.

Some of us are just blessed with a clearer view of the gash in the hull.

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 01:56 PM
It's no mortal sin to be the last Norwegian rat off the Titanic.

Some of us are just blessed with a clearer view of the gash in the hull.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?95502-We-good

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?95432-Latos-with-82-fastballs-in-109-pitches

It's almost like doomsaying is your thing.

Kc61
06-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I believe it was you that posted awhile ago that this was a tough stretch for the Reds. They look to get out if it around .500, probably a few games below. If they get Latos, Votto and Bruce back and producing, a big if, but if that happens, with an easier schedule coming up, and with the Cards not pulling away, there's still good reason for hope.

Yes. Reds have won some, it hasn't been that bad. Reds were fortunate that Brewers, Cards and Pirates have had their issues.

After the home stand the Reds play at the Brewers and Pirates. Those series are away, but an opportunity for the Reds. Maybe Votto is back healthy by then.

Then they come home for the Blue Jays. That one looked easier. Now not so much.

Then at Cubs, Giants, Padres, on the road. That one could go either way, let's see how they are playing then.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 02:03 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?95502-We-good

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?95432-Latos-with-82-fastballs-in-109-pitches

It's almost like doomsaying is your thing.
So I was wrong about the Latos trade, I've admitted that.

I thought Grandal would have blossomed by now. Who knows, maybe he still does.

I'm willing to place a bet with you on the final record for this team.

Big Klu
06-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Nothing Cozart could do about that called third strike.

And I would have let Leake hit for himself.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Giants rolling along. Still 5-1 after five.

SlimJim11
06-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Hard enough to get hits for us, but when those 2 strikes 3's are called strikes, what can you do.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Nothing Cozart could do about that called third strike.

And I would have let Leake hit for himself.

Not any advantage by letting Santiago hit.

Big Klu
06-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Nothing Santiago could do about that called third strike, either.

If the home plate umpire is going to give Bumgarner that pitch, they might as well call the game and let everyone beat the afternoon rush hour traffic.

RedsLvr
06-05-2014, 02:08 PM

Lol that pitch was so far outside...

Big Klu
06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Not any advantage by letting Santiago hit.

Exactly. Santiago is no real upgrade from Leake. With two outs and nobody on against a LHP, I would have let Leake hit for himself and saved a position player.

06-05-2014, 02:13 PM
And now the ump,isn't giving anything close to Marshall. Never heard of him before, hopefully won't ever again.

Big Klu
06-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Lol that pitch was so far outside...

Bumgarner's strike zone is Glavinesque.

villain612
06-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I leave the house for a few minutes to run errands and this is what happens.

Feck.

Big Klu
06-05-2014, 02:17 PM
I leave the house for a few minutes to run errands and this is what happens.

Feck.

Don't you turn on the radio when you leave the house?

villain612
06-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Don't you turn on the radio when you leave the house?

I live in Florida.

No Reds on the radio.

Big Klu
06-05-2014, 02:20 PM
I live in Florida.

No Reds on the radio.

Sorry, wasn't looking at your location. (That one's on me.)

malcontent
06-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Marshall vs. Posey. This can't end well.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2014, 02:42 PM
6-1 Giants at the 7th inning stretch.

powersackers
06-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Marshall vs. Posey. This can't end well.

Zero chance of ending well. an 11 yr old on Playstation 4 would know a pitching change was needed.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Well, whatever smidgeon of momentum the Reds had after winning four straight (three against the woebegone D-backs) is now completely gone. Poof! Disappeared into thin air. The Reds aren't even competitive today.

And with Cole Hamels going tomorrow, this supposed "big homestand" will get off to quite the whimper with losing three of the first four.

Oh, and Walt: I know you don't read this and if you did wouldn't care, but I went to my fifth game last night and saw my fifth loss. In two of those losses the team you assembled didn't even score. I went to 38 games in 2012, but I hope you understand when I say that I won't be going again anytime soon.

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, whatever smidgeon of momentum the Reds had after winning four straight (three against the woebegone D-backs) is now completely gone. Poof! Disappeared into thin air. The Reds aren't even competitive today.

And with Cole Hamels going tomorrow, this supposed "big homestand" will get off to quite the whimper with losing three of the first four.

Oh, and Walt: I know you don't read this and if you did wouldn't care, but I went to my fifth game last night and saw my fifth loss. In two of those losses the team you assembled didn't even score. I went to 38 games in 2012, but I hope you understand when I say that I won't be going again anytime soon.

I´m disappointed aswell but they lost 2 games out of three against the best team in baseball... sad but it happens..

malcontent
06-05-2014, 02:55 PM
At least Heisey almost left the yar....er, infield.

Kc61
06-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Interesting series. Barring a comeback today, it's the classic three game series. Each team with a clearcut win.

The deciding game was the close one, last night, and the Reds lost because of a couple of events. A baserunning mistake. A starting pitcher who lost it in the sixth.

Some seasons you're on the right side of these kind of games. This season, so far, the Reds haven't been.

The Giants aren't much more talented than the Reds. Maybe a bit with Votto out. But they are just playing a little better and it makes a lot of difference. They may have an edge with the experienced manager who is quite a good one. Price maybe catches up after some experience.

VR
06-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Hoover on May 10.....10.03 ERA

Hoover since..... 0.61 ERA/ 14.2 innings/ 16 k's.

Kc61
06-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Hoover on May 10.....10.03 ERA

Hoover since..... 0.61 ERA/ 14.2 innings/ 16 k's.

Yeah, but it's the second straight year he lost a lot of games early. He can be very tough but he's got to stop with these awful beginnings.

Maybe he should have spring training in January and get ready a month early or something.

06-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Interesting series. Barring a comeback today, it's the classic three game series. Each team with a clearcut win.

The deciding game was the close one, last night, and the Reds lost because of a couple of events. A baserunning mistake. A starting pitcher who lost it in the sixth.

Some seasons you're on the right side of these kind of games. This season, so far, the Reds haven't been.

The Giants aren't much more talented than the Reds. Maybe a bit with Votto out. But they are just playing a little better and it makes a lot of difference. They may have an edge with the experienced manager who is quite a good one. Price maybe catches up after some experience.

At the beginning of the year, it was easy to chalk up those tough loses to luck. Getting harder and harder to do that.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Cozart with the Cozout.

06-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but it's the second straight year he lost a lot of games early. He can be very tough but he's got to stop with these awful beginnings.

Maybe he should have spring training in January and get ready a month early or something.

Trade him in the offseason, then, when he sucks in April and May, trade back for him.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 03:15 PM
At the beginning of the year, it was easy to chalk up those tough loses to luck. Getting harder and harder to do that.
Agreed. The Reds have had these kind of black holes in the lineup for several years now.

But now the nucleus...Votto, Bruce and Phillips...is injured and/or declining. A guy like Bumgarner will burn this team 9 times out of 10.

Kc61
06-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to say luck. I meant that certain teams have the edge, play just a little better when it counts. They click.

Doesn't always reflect a huge talent gap, sometimes it's the type of player, good decision making, maybe player confidence, certainly health.

But the little things can win series, like this one.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Yes. By all means, burn Chapman.

CrackerJack
06-05-2014, 03:19 PM

The Reds' scored 3 runs in the last 18 innings. They still aren't beating anybody good consistently if they can't score more often.

Kc61
06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
The Reds' scored 3 runs in the last 18 innings. They still aren't beating anybody good consistently if they can't score more often.

Agree completely.

But they could have won this series if they just played a little bit better last night.

VR
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Reds throw Cueto, Simon, and Homer against Hamels, Hernandez, and Buchanan.

2 out of 3 is a must, sweep should be the goal with those matchups.

06-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to say luck. I meant that certain teams have the edge, play just a little better when it counts. They click.

Doesn't always reflect a huge talent gap, sometimes it's the type of player, good decision making, maybe player confidence, certainly health.

But the little things can win series, like this one.

Completely agree. I was the one saying it might have been luck at the beginning, I wasn't trying to imply you were, sorry for the confusion.

It is the little things, the little things that Price, Jocketty And Cast said they would focus on this year. So far, it seems like they are worse at the little things this year, not better.

villain612
06-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Disappointing series.

I think the most depressing thing about this team, is when they get behind by 2 or more runs, it feels like there's absolutely no hope of a comeback. Ever.

bucksfan2
06-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Disappointing series.

I think the most depressing thing about this team, is when they get behind by 2 or more runs, it feels like there's absolutely no hope of a comeback. Ever.

I don't believe they have come back from 3 down all year.

westofyou
06-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't believe they have come back from 3 down all year.

They have not, two is the most

BluegrassRedleg
06-05-2014, 08:17 PM
They have not, two is the most

Interesting. At first that sounds really bad, but I wonder if it's all that unusual, given the sample size?

westofyou
06-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Interesting. At first that sounds really bad, but I wonder if it's all that unusual, given the sample size?

It's pathetic

westofyou
06-05-2014, 09:59 PM
It's pathetic

Quoting myself here.

But seriously this is a two run lead at ANY point of a game all season

Down two runs first inning

Fail

And so on... The Royals just did a six run deficit the other night

The reds haven't even touched Half of that in 1/4 of a season

westofyou
06-05-2014, 11:46 PM