PDA

View Full Version : 7/2/14....Reds @ Padres

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I was close lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/03/ymu4anyn.jpg

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
I suggest we score 10 runs today and move on out of sunny San Diego.

reds44
07-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Price on Votto: "We're all watching the same game."

JMO
07-02-2014, 02:27 PM
HAHA on the Reds lineup today. Cueto most likely has to pitch a CG shutout in order to have a chance to avoid the sweep.

NeilHamburger
07-02-2014, 02:28 PM
At least that is somewhat of an admission. As opposed to Walt's "I'm not concerned about Votto at all" line from Monday.

RedTeamGo!
07-02-2014, 02:28 PM
HAHA on the Reds lineup today. Cueto most likely has to pitch a CG shutout in order to have a chance to avoid the sweep.

Votto clearly needs a day off and Pena always catches for Cueto. What is your point exactly?

villain612
07-02-2014, 03:24 PM
If we win today, it'll be 7-3 on this road trip, with the Brew crew coming in on Friday.

Cuetomatic on the mound :)

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
"Good idea to bat Ramon Santiago second" -- Absolutely no one.

(Well, other than the Padres.)

malcontent
07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
One could ask Price what business Santiago has batting in the 2-hole.

I see Chuckie beat me to that.

malcontent
07-02-2014, 03:53 PM
"Good idea to bat Ramon Santiago second" -- Absolutely no one.

(Well, other than the Padres.)
Probably to get him the ABs to be dialed in when Price calls on him to PH in more critical situations.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Well, this one is off to a great start.

toledodan
07-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Ugh. Cueto can't give up anything

toledodan
07-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Thank you deno

Chuckie
Wow, I thought that was a sac fly for sure. Get us outta here Johnny!

Chuckie
Thank you deno

Would have been out, IMO.

JMO
07-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Later

Chuckie
Billy's first major defensive flubb of the year. 3 runs score. That's a catch Billy makes 99 times out of 100.

toledodan
Ugh!!

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Ruled a single, even though it hit off the heel of his glove.

More Little League mom official scoring. That should be an error. Just because he had to run a long way doesn't mean it wasn't an error.

toledodan
07-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Ruled a single, even though it hit off the heel of his glove.

More Little League mom official scoring. That should be an error. Just because he had to run a long way doesn't mean it wasn't an error.

With all due respect you're crazy. He had to dive for the ball.

Tadasimha
I will be glad to get out of San Diego

Playadlc
3 runs right now seems insurmountable.

NebraskaRed
07-02-2014, 04:02 PM
All this means is that the Reds will now sweep the Brewers this weekend.

toledodan
3 runs right now seems insurmountable.

With that lineup yep

traderumor
I loathe you, West Coast swing. You continue to tease my favorite team, thinking they are on their way to a great roadtrip, allowing us to win on the front end. Then, on the back end, playing a barely MLB team, you take away. A cruel taskmaster you are, West Coast swing.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:03 PM
No official scorer would call that an error. You don't assume a great play. Hamilton had to run a long way and then dive for that ball, no way it is an error.

Big Klu
Anytime a player has to dive to get to a ball, you can be assured that it will be ruled a hit. (And rightfully so.)

Was it a ball that should have been fielded with ordinary effort? If so, then it's an error. If not, then it's a hit.

Chuckie
With all due respect you're crazy. He had to dive for the ball.

That's not respectful in the least. YOU are crazy if you don't think Billy makes that catch 99 times out of 100. He didn't even need to dive. It hit the heel of his glove!

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
The Reds have no idea in this ballpark, they have Ramon Santiago swinging for the fences hitting fly balls into Death Valley in center field. So this will be tough.

Cueto allowing an 0-2 single to Headley and then allowing a walk with two men on. That was the problem there.

reds44
07-02-2014, 04:05 PM
What an incredibly frustrating series.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:05 PM
That's not respectful in the least. YOU are crazy if you don't think Billy makes that catch 99 times out of 100. He didn't even need to dive. It hit the heel of his glove!

Not an error. You don't assume a great running catch (probably diving too) just because the particular CFer is capable of it.

reds44
07-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Later

You will be missed.

Chuckie
The Reds have no idea in this ballpark, they have Ramon Santiago swinging for the fences hitting fly balls into Death Valley in center field. So this will be tough.

Cueto allowing an 0-2 single to Headley and then allowing a walk with two men on. That was the problem there.

Billy not catching a ball he catches 99 times out of 100: Also a problem.

Billy_Bearcat
Just when this team gets your hopes up.

traderumor
This is eerily similar to last year. We had an 11 game roadtrip, SF, LA, SD. Went 3-1 against SF, won first game against LA, lost 5 in a row, then salvaged the final game in SD to go 5-6. What a tease.

Red Raindog
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
One could ask Price what business Santiago has batting in the 2-hole.

I see Chuckie beat me to that.

3 for 6 off of Tyson --- guessing that makes the most sense

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
A bump in the rally to catch Milwaukie made up of the woeful San Diego Padres.

C'mon, guys. Let's rally and get back on track with winning.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-02-2014, 04:08 PM
What a brutal flight home this could be. A long, long four hours to think about why they couldn't beat the laughingstock Padres, in SD or Cincinnati.

Kc61
I'll repeat from an earlier thread. The Reds don't seem to have made any adjustment to this ballpark.

Ground balls into the shift instead of going opposite field.
Fly balls to deep center easily caught.
Very few opposite field attempts.

The only one who succeeded was Mesoraco who has such good power that he homered and doubled with long, long hits.

Heisey had a clue there, nice line drive oppo, unfortunately caught.

Chuckie
Not an error. You don't assume a great running catch (probably diving too) just because the particular CFer is capable of it.

"Capable" and "Almost always makes that catch" are not the same thing.

That would not have been a great play by Billy. He didn't need to dive for the ball. If he would have kept running and put his glove down, he would have caught the ball. Again, it hit off the HEEL of his glove. If the ball hit off the tip of his glove (or even inside the glove) it would be different. It hit the freakin' heel of his glove. He "erred" on the play, but no "error" was given because MLB official scorers are like Little League moms. "Oh, he tried real hard. He ran a long way." No, he should have made the catch and will make it the next time.

JMO
07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Swept by the worst team in baseball right before the biggest series of the year. 7 games back.

NebraskaRed
07-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Swept by the worst team in baseball right before the biggest series of the year. 7 games back.

Are you from the future?

If so, can you give me some stock tips?

Larkin Fan
My Lord, I just checked quickly checked in on ESPN's Gamecast and the Padres are up by three. What the heck happened?

Chuckie
Just when this team gets your hopes up.

This is exactly what my wife said when I told her about the 4-game sweep in SF and the Reds being on one hell of a roll. She deadpans: "Just enough to get your hopes up and suck you in."

Yep, pretty much. Course, I'm sucked in anyway so it doesn't matter. The Reds are a lifelong addiction for me that is not going away.

toledodan
07-02-2014, 04:11 PM

I thought you left??

Chuckie
My Lord, I just checked quickly checked in on ESPN's Gamecast and the Padres are up by three. What the heck happened?

I'll be brief: Suckiness.

Kc61

That would not have been a great play by Billy. He didn't need to dive for the ball. If he would have kept running and put his glove down, he would have caught the ball. Again, it hit off the HEEL of his glove. If the ball hit off the tip of his glove (or even inside the glove) it would be different. It hit the freakin' heel of his glove. He "erred" on the play, but no "error" was given because MLB official scorers are like Little League moms. "Oh, he tried real hard. He ran a long way." No, he should have made the catch and will make it the next time.

The question isn't whether the fastest man in baseball could catch the ball. Errors are given when an ordinary fielder would be expected to make the play. I don't think the ordinary CFer could be expected to make that play.

Errors aren't judged by the abilities of the particular fielder.

Tadasimha
07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
:eek::confused:

Red Raindog
07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Brewers lost today --- hate to see the chance to gain get missed here

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 04:13 PM
The 2014 Cincinnati Reds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkFQHScyti0

reds44
07-02-2014, 04:13 PM
The Padres are 37-47.

There's no way that's the worst record in baseball, no?

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Brewers lost today --- hate to see the chance to gain get missed here

I'm more upset about the fact that the Reds get an extremely rare 4-game sweep in San Francisco ... and then turn right around and (probably) get swept by the craptastic Padres. That's baseball, I know. But man that sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

The Padres are 37-47.

There's no way that's the worst record in baseball, no?

There are two teams worse in their own division: Colorado and Arizona. Arizona is the worst team in MLB (but the Padres are only 2.5 games up on them).

reds700
07-02-2014, 04:17 PM
At the end of the day the Reds got 4 wins out of the SF and SD series' which is about as much as you could hope for. It just happened in an unexpected way. And this is assuming they don't come back and win this one.

reds44
07-02-2014, 04:18 PM
At the end of the day the Reds got 4 wins out of the SF and SD series' which is about as much as you could hope for. It just happened in an unexpected way. And this is assuming they don't come back and win this one.
For sure...it's still a succesful road trip even if they get swept. It's more frustrating than maddening.

malcontent
07-02-2014, 04:19 PM
This is exactly what my wife said when I told her about the 4-game sweep in SF and the Reds being on one hell of a roll. She deadpans: "Just enough to get your hopes up and suck you in."

Yep, pretty much. Course, I'm sucked in anyway so it doesn't matter. The Reds are a lifelong addiction for me that is not going away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZGmeg23ICQ

traderumor
07-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Cueto allowing an 0-2 single to Headley and then allowing a walk with two men on. That was the problem there.The Padres have no idea in this ballpark. It isn't like you can just start hitting to fit the ballpark. Guys keep trying to do it, but its bassakwards. You have to get guys who hit that way in the first place, whatever that is, since this bp has been a run suppressing maching since the ribbon was cut.

VR
07-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Lot of baseball left to play today.

traderumor
07-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Swept by the worst team in baseball right before the biggest series of the year. 7 games back.Thought you were leaving?

NebraskaRed
07-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I was at the game last night. The guy in front of me (wearing a pretty dirty Padres shirt) made this "joke" no less than 6 times: "I thought the game started, but I guess they're still having batting practice. These guys suck."

reds700
07-02-2014, 04:22 PM
For sure...it's still a succesful road trip even if they get swept. It's more frustrating than maddening.

Very frustrating but I wrote the team off a few weeks ago due to a crappy offense and lousy bullpen so I have not been expecting much.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:24 PM
The Padres have no idea in this ballpark. It isn't like you can just start hitting to fit the ballpark. Guys keep trying to do it, but its bassakwards. You have to get guys who hit that way in the first place, whatever that is, since this bp has been a run suppressing maching since the ribbon was cut.

Good major league hitters can adjust to the ballpark they are playing in.

Tadasimha
07-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Lot of baseball left to play today.

The Reds string a few hits together, put a run or two across the board, the momentum could come back pretty quickly.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:27 PM
The Reds string a few hits together, put a run or two across the board, the momentum could come back pretty quickly.

First, they need to string one hit together.

reds1869
07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Brooks Conrad is officially forgiven for that grand slam.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Great memory there, FOX.

Red Raindog
07-02-2014, 04:31 PM
do they really have to show that Atlanta game video? :barf:

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Again today.... This great Reds defense is not making the big plays....not errors but making those plays at critical.

traderumor
07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Good major league hitters can adjust to the ballpark they are playing in.They can? Even if they can, should they? Why did Sparky take his boys to Fenway before the '75 series to eye the Green Monster so they could understand that they should NOT alter their swing with that big green temptation staring at them?

My thought on hitting is that you try to hit the ball hard somewhere each time to the plate and let the chips fall where they may. Start messing with the process ballpark by ballpark is tail chasing and I'd be really surprised if there is tangible proof that a hitter actually does this.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Again today.... This great Reds defense is not making the big plays....not errors but making those plays at critical.

Sure but the Reds have two runs in 21 innings and one of them was after the game was a route. I think that's the main takeaway from this series so far.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Really feels like they are mentally tapped-out at the end of a long road trip.

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Sure but the Reds have two runs in 21 innings and one of them was after the game was a route. I think that's the main takeaway from this series so far.

No doubt....just commenting on the top defense not being the top defense the last few games.

Tadasimha
07-02-2014, 04:36 PM

You mean rout? Although I agree, this series has been a highway to hell.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:37 PM
They can? Even if they can, should they? Why did Sparky take his boys to Fenway before the '75 series to eye the Green Monster so they could understand that they should NOT alter their swing with that big green temptation staring at them?

My thought on hitting is that you try to hit the ball hard somewhere each time to the plate and let the chips fall where they may. Start messing with the process ballpark by ballpark is tail chasing and I'd be really surprised if there is tangible proof that a hitter actually does this.

I have absolutely no doubt that good visiting hitters aim for the right field stands in GABP.

And when they shift on Bruce in this series, shouldn't he try to slap it to the opposite field?Swinging away in other stadiums against the shift may make sense; but what's the upside in Petco where a homer is unlikely?

Obviously the best thing is to have solid line drive hitters who can hit in any stadium. And I don't expect every hitter to re-learn the game. But some adjustments are obvious and should be made.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
First, they need to string one hit together.

I'll take a Walk, a Stolen Base and an Error.

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Billy should've beaten that out.

reds44
07-02-2014, 04:40 PM
The best hitters in baseball make outs 70% of the time they put the ball in play.

I really doubt anybody is aiming anywhere.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:41 PM
I'll take a Walk, a Stolen Base and an Error.

Not sure we can swing all that. Maybe a catchers interference.

Ironman92
Price defends everybody...I like that.

Kingspoint
Really feels like they are mentally tapped-out at the end of a long road trip.

With an off day tomorrow, I'd suggest they stay overnight in San Diego, hit the beach this afternoon, and burn off a little steam tonight in San Diego.

redssince75
The question isn't whether the fastest man in baseball could catch the ball. Errors are given when an ordinary fielder would be expected to make the play. I don't think the ordinary CFer could be expected to make that play.

Errors aren't judged by the abilities of the particular fielder.

I doubt your last statement is correct.

Assume a ball hit into the gap that the "ordinary outfielder" would not even reach. Assume that BH is fast enough to arrive in time to be waiting on the ball. He does so, puts his glove up, and simply drops the ball. That is likely an error.

Assume a ball hit behind second base that the "ordinary shortshop" would not even reach. Cozart reaches it. The slowest runner in MLB is running so Cozart has time to plant and throw. He airmails the ball into the stands. That is likely an error.

toledodan
07-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Dfa Santiago. Negron can't be as bad as him

reds44
Reds traded for somebody named Harold Riggins. 1st baseman.

Ironman92
Through the Tony Gwynn 5.5 hole

Appropriate

toledodan
07-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Assume a ball hit into the gap that the "ordinary outfielder" would not even reach. Assume that BH is fast enough to arrive in time to be waiting on the ball. He does so, puts his glove up, and simply drops the ball. That is likely an error.

Assume a ball hit behind second base that the "ordinary shortshop" would not even reach. Cozart reaches it. The slowest runner in MLB is running so Cozart has time to plant and throw. He airmails the ball into the stands. That is likely an error.

It's more about him diving

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Dfa Santiago. Negron can't be as bad as him

Yes he can. Negron is the definition of a AAAA player.

redssince75
07-02-2014, 04:44 PM
They can? Even if they can, should they? Why did Sparky take his boys to Fenway before the '75 series to eye the Green Monster so they could understand that they should NOT alter their swing with that big green temptation staring at them?

I suspect you are correct. Even most MLB hitters just want to hit the ball hard under their normal approach. It would take an elite "placement" hitter -- a Carew or a Gwynn -- to do what others are suggesting.

toledodan
07-02-2014, 04:44 PM

Warm body? Can he hit? Start him Friday? Long term deal? I need a drink

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 04:45 PM

The speed difference in the OF would not get Billy waiting on the while the ordinary couldn't even reach it with a dive.

There are a few CF we expect to make that catch.... It's not an error.

toledodan

Sounds like Santiago

reds44
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=riggin001har

Kc61
The best hitters in baseball make outs 70% of the time they put the ball in play.

I really doubt anybody is aiming anywhere.

Hitters try to go to the opposite field all the time. We've even seen Bruce do it a few times against the shift this season.

Compare GABP and Petco. To approach both stadiums identically is to ignore the vast difference between them. I'd argue that good hitters do take note and adjust to some extent.

toledodan

Sounds like Santiago

reds44
Dude is a 3 outcome guy. Lotta HRs, lotta walks, LOTTA Ks.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:47 PM

You're right to the limited extent that if a fast player gets behind the fly ball and is standing there and drops it, yes, he would get an error. And a slow player who never gets there doesn't get an error. Agreed.

But that's the exception not the rule. A player who has to make a very good play and fails generally doesn't get an error. Even if his natural ability should have allowed him to make the play.

toledodan
07-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Dude is a 3 outcome guy. Lotta HRs, lotta walks, LOTTA Ks.

Adam Dunn?

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 04:48 PM

My guess, he goes to Louisville to replace Lutz who comes up.

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Billy named NL rookie of the month.

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Walks will haunt. Especially to the 8 hole hitter. Ugh.

4-0 fathers. OMG! Appeal to third...he's OUT! 3-0. He missed touching the bag rounding third.

Now under review.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
LOL, here comes another review the Reds might not win.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 04:56 PM
NYC: Hello?

Petco: Yeah, we got a replay here involving the Reds.

NYC: The Reds?

Pecto: Yeah.

NYC: The Padres are safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Test case No. 999.

NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE. (Actually, pretty good evidence that he wiffed, but close.)

And here we go...

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Out.

3-0 it stays. Now can we capitalize on that break.

reds1869
07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
One of the things I love about baseball is seeing something unusual almost every game. When was the last time you saw an appeal that didn't involve a tag up work?

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Bruce lines out to left. What a bad luck game thus far.

redssince75
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Bruce lines out to left. What a bad luck game thus far.

Serves Bruce right for reading RedsZone between innings.

Hitters try to go to the opposite field all the time. We've even seen Bruce do it a few times against the shift this season.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=riggin001har

I obviously want to see who we gave up, but at first glance, I like this. He hit 22 HRs at high-A last year with an OPS of .825. He had a robust .934 OPS at low-A the previous season.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:04 PM
From Rotoworld today...

Brad Boxberger earned his first save of the season Wednesday in the Rays' 6-3 win over the Yankees. Boxberger struck out two of the three batters he faced in a perfect ninth inning. The 26-year-old right-hander owns an impressive 2.87 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, and 48/12 K/BB ratio in 31 1/3 innings this season and is clearly now part of Tampa Bay's committee at closer.

NebraskaRed
07-02-2014, 05:04 PM
I obviously want to see who we gave up, but at first glance, I like this. He hit 22 HRs at high-A last year with an OPS of .825. He had a robust .934 OPS at low-A the previous season.

They traded Jair Jurrens...Jr. Jo-Jo Shabadoo.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Way to go, EE!

From Rotoworld (I know...this happened earlier in the day.)

Edwin Encarnacion launched a three-run, walk-off home run in the ninth inning of Wednesday's win over the Brewers. The Brewers looked like they were going to get out of a two-on, no-out jam when Anthony Gose bunted into a forceout and Darin Mastroianni struck out. Encarnacion saved the day, though, with a laser into the left field seats. The longball was his 26th of the season, and he also singled earlier in the day. With a .281/.370/.603 batting line and 69 RBI to go along with his 26 bombs, Encarnacion will certainly be part of the All-Star game in a couple weeks.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
We gave up Jurrjens for him.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:07 PM
So, is "cranky", kind of like "tired"? I get cranky when I'm tired.

From Rotoworld....

Reds manager Bryan Price revealed Wednesday that Manny Parra went 12 days in between appearances because he'd been dealing with a "cranky" shoulder. Parra last pitched on June 29 before retiring the only batter he faced on one pitch Tuesday. It appears the shoulder is no longer a concern. "His shoulder was cranky," Price said. "We worked through that, he could have pitched, but we felt if we didn’t pitch him, it gave him a better chance to continue without any flare-ups. By the end of that San Francisco series, he was feeling much better."

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:10 PM
So, is it 3-0 or 4-0?

mlb.com has it 3-0.

NebraskaRed
07-02-2014, 05:12 PM
So, is it 3-0 or 4-0?

mlb.com has it 3-0.

3-0

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Jim Day workin the MILFs in the sandbox. :p

Roy Tucker
07-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Seems that the buzzsaw pitching the Reds did to the Giants is now being done to the Reds by the Pads.

dubc47834
07-02-2014, 05:15 PM

It doesn't matter if he almost always makes that catch. The rule states something to the effect of being able to make a play with a reasonable effort. Just because a guy makes that catch a majority of the time doesn't make it an error!!!

Kc61
07-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Can't wait for the bottom of the Reds' batting order to hit so they can pinch hit Mesoraco and Votto and possibly get some offense going.

Didn't realize the Padres pitching was quite this good. With this kind of run prevention the Padres are a team to watch out for.

dubc47834
07-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Jim Day workin the MILFs in the sandbox. :p

MILF? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for the bottom of the Reds' batting order to hit so they can pinch hit Mesoraco and Votto and possibly get some offense going.

Didn't realize the Padres pitching was quite this good. With this kind of run prevention the Padres are a team to watch out for.

REALLY?????????

powersackers
07-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Just turned it on. Is this really happening?

dubc47834
07-02-2014, 05:24 PM

Yes, San Diego is sayin "Who's your Padre...Who's your Padre"....I know I know....corny, but this game is killing me...lol

keeganbrick
07-02-2014, 05:26 PM

We faced their best 3 starting pitchers by far. But man, how many hits do we have in this whole series?

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:26 PM

A misplayed 3-run single in the first, and that's it by either team. Just another game at PETCO.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Bryan Price (who I like overall) should be fined in Kangaroo Court for batting Santiago in the 2-hole. What in the world was he thinking?

- - - Updated - - -

A misplayed 3-run single in the first, and that's it by either team. Just another game at PETCO.

"Misplayed" should equal "error" ... but we have the typical Little League mom doing the official scoring today. At the absolute very least it should have been a single with an error that allowed the runner from first to score. No error at all on that play? That's a complete fail by the official scorer.

powersackers
07-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Yes, San Diego is sayin "Who's your Padre...Who's your Padre"....I know I know....corny, but this game is killing me...lol

Well Padre is about to stick a broom handle where the Reds never expected it.

Kingspoint
The Toddpadre with another hit (the only ones by the REDS today) to get something started in the 7th.

keeganbrick
Bryan Price (who I like overall) should be fined in Kangaroo Court for batting Santiago in the 2-hole. What in the world was he thinking?

- - - Updated - - -

"Misplayed" should equal "error" ... but we have the typical Little League mom doing the official scoring today. At the absolute very least it should have been a single with an error that allowed the runner from first to score. No error at all on that play? That's a complete fail by the official scorer.

Did that error cost you some $$$ on Fanduel or something?

dubc47834
07-02-2014, 05:30 PM

- - - Updated - - -

How do you know the mom is Little League?

- - - Updated - - -

The Toddpadre with another hit (the only ones by the REDS today) to get something started in the 7th.

NICE!!!!!

RedsfaninMT
07-02-2014, 05:31 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Chuckie, I gotta give you credit. When you seize hold of a topic, you're a pitbull. You won't let go, no matter how much evidence smacks you in the face otherwise. It's impressive.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Did that error cost you some $$$ on Fanduel or something?

No. What's Fanduel?

(Do have Cueto on my fantasy team though -- so you weren't far off.)

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:37 PM
One-third of all at-bats resulting in a strikeout for someone at the prime-age of his baseball career?

How is that even possible?

How messed up does your mental state have to be in order to produce results like that?

Is he blind?

Does he need glasses?

Is he really "guessing" that badly at pitches?

What the heck is going on with Jay Bruce?

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Another great performance by Cueto.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 05:39 PM

- - - Updated - - -

For that matter, what is it with this organization and the relentless compulsion to place completely incompetent hitters in the No. 2 hole?

I thought that crap was done with Toothpick.

I know it's just a rest lineup, but there's no rule that says you can't put ANYONE else behind Hamilton, save for Cueto.

RedTeamGo!
07-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Haha wow this series. So glad I don't get reds on tv right now.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Very, very disappointing season (and career) by Heisey. Time to move on and replace him next season. (I know I'm very late to that party, but I just thought Heisey was underperforming and was due.) Should not be on the 25-man playoff roster.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Such a frustrating day, so here's something to lift the spirits...

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/seinfeld-top-sports-moments-070214?cmpid=tsmfb:fscom:foxsports

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:48 PM
One-legged Joey with a weak fly ball to right.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Those who didn't want Votto walking earlier this season are wishing he'd keep bat on shoulder now.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Listless.

malcontent
One-legged Joey with a weak fly ball to right.
Walt isn't concerned.

Kingspoint
Maybe the REDS have identified a Padres' Reliever that they want to make a trade offer on and this series won't be a total loss.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Lower that ERA, Diaz.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Lower that ERA, Diaz.

Done! (from 12.00 to 9.00 after a 1-2-3 inning)

malcontent
07-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Jocketty: "This is the way it's going to be between me and you guys (reporters). If I don't have anything to say on the topic (Votto), I won't have anything to say. I'm not concerned about Joey going forward. End of story."

:D

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Did you guys know Marty Brennaman's first name is Franchester? He's Franchester Martin Brennaman.

#TheMoreYouKnow

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Not to discredit the job the SD pitchers have done, but the Reds hitters didn't look even remotely prepared to WIN any of these games. No fight, no urgency, no passion....not in any of the 3. Disheartening.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Jocketty: "This is the way it's going to be between me and you guys (reporters). If I don't have anything to say on the topic (Votto), I won't have anything to say. I'm not concerned about Joey going forward. End of story."

:D

That's a man in denial right there. Serious denial.

reds44
07-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Not sure there's anything I dislike in baseball more than people trying to break down body language and want to.

Nobody is going to look energetic when you're not hitting. It's not like they won 14 of 18 and were like screw it we don't want to win anymore.

_Sir_Charles_

No, that's a man who has Joey's back. Joey doesn't want to discuss his health in a public forum, the Reds management is protecting that wish.

At least that's the way I see it.

Kingspoint
Not to discredit the job the SD pitchers have done, but the Reds hitters didn't look even remotely prepared to WIN any of these games. No fight, no urgency, no passion....not in any of the 3. Disheartening.

San Diego will do that to you.

Flip-flops, shorts, and a pina-colada!

Tom Servo
...It's probably for the best that I've missed these last two games.

reds44

Or he knows what's going on better than you do.

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Not sure there's anything I dislike in baseball more than people trying to break down body language and want to.

Nobody is going to look energetic when you're not hitting. It's not like they won 14 of 18 and were like screw it we don't want to win anymore.

No, but I do think they took the Padres for granted. Just like most of the fans here did.

Kc61
07-02-2014, 06:01 PM

They haven't shown patience, I think they have four walks over the three games, and they haven't played to this ballpark, which I've discussed in other posts.

I'm sure the Reds are tired, it's a long road trip with a lot of travel.

But it's really a downer for them to follow up a sweep in SF with this.

Cannot believe Ramon Santiago is hitting for himself here.

reds44
07-02-2014, 06:02 PM
No, but I do think they took the Padres for granted. Just like most of the fans here did.
It's a 162 game season. I really doubt they had some emotionally let down coming into this series. 3 more games off the schedule for them.

50YrRedsFan
07-02-2014, 06:02 PM
The Reds hitters have gone back into the April-May hibernation after their brief 3 week awakening. I was starting to have hope of making a run, but it's not to be.

Kingspoint
07-02-2014, 06:03 PM
In a game like this, the #2 hitter gets one more plate appearance than most of the rest of the players. Maybe he wanted to give Santiago some confidence by giving him that extra plate appearance.

I'm being sarcastic. Who knows what his plan was? It didn't work, but then nobody else but Frazier got anything going, so it really didn't matter...or did it? Had a player in front of the only player to show up today been able to get on, some rallies might have taken place.

malcontent
Nice job by Price to get Santiago four PA.

reds44
The Reds hitters have gone back into the April-May hibernation after their brief 3 week awakening. I was starting to have hope of making a run, but it's not to be.

Or they most likely had a bad 3 game series in a tough park to hit in.

- - - Updated - - -

3 hits as a team. 2 by 1 guy. Where Santiago hitting wasn't the problem.

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Good game, good effort

malcontent
07-02-2014, 06:04 PM
It was a joke. I thought you'd catch the Vottoism. Sorry.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 06:05 PM
They are what they are, ladies and gents: a .500-ish team with no consistent offensive production to speak of.

Pitching and defense are great and will keep them in most games, but everything will hinge on whether some guys hit the ball or not.

Ironman92
Reds are 1-5 vs the Padres for the season

_Sir_Charles_
It's a 162 game season. I really doubt they had some emotionally let down coming into this series. 3 more games off the schedule for them.

I get all that, but I also saw a team that was winning regularly, just beat a first place team 4 straight on the road. Comes in to face a last place team struggling with a matchup of the Brewers right afterwards. I think they were thinking they could stroll in here and win the series and just look forward to the Brewers series. Overlooking an opponent is a sure-fire way to get swept.

Kingspoint
That was one ugly series.

Again, they should just stay in town, enjoy the beach and the weather, and then come home on Friday.

50YrRedsFan
07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Or they most likely had a bad 3 game series in a tough park to hit in.

- - - Updated - - -

3 hits as a team. 2 by 1 guy. Where Santiago hitting wasn't the problem.

This is who they are.....just not good enough to sustain any momentum.

reds44
07-02-2014, 06:07 PM
I get all that, but I also saw a team that was winning regularly, just beat a first place team 4 straight on the road. Comes in to face a last place team struggling with a matchup of the Brewers right afterwards. I think they were thinking they could stroll in here and win the series and just look forward to the Brewers series. Overlooking an opponent is a sure-fire way to get swept.
Latos threw a 1 hitter Monday. Cueto pitched well today and was literally an inch a way from having a shutout. So did they not overlook the Padres?

They couldn't hit. Scored 2 runs in the series. I promise you they weren't making outs on purpose.

_Sir_Charles_
07-02-2014, 06:08 PM

3 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk.

Santiago wasn't the problem. He wasn't the solution either, but let's not pile the blame on one guy (or even Price).

RedsBrick
07-02-2014, 06:09 PM
I would not have forecasted either sweep out west.

Tom Servo
07-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Let's pretend this never happened

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Cueto 8-6 :rolleyes:

50YrRedsFan
07-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Blown chances to gain ground with the Brewers losing again today......time is rapidly running out. 79 games to play. And many against some very good teams.

jojo
07-02-2014, 06:12 PM

I seriously doubt the Reds took San Diego for granted. That's a narrative for after the fact. The Padres just played better than the Reds for three games. The Reds caught the Giants at the perfect time and apparently caught the Padres at a bad one.

jojo
07-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Cueto 8-6 :rolleyes:

The CY Young award is slipping right through his stubby fingers.

RedsBrick
07-02-2014, 06:17 PM
The CY Young award is slipping right through his stubby fingers.

Unless his train derails, Kershaw can start clearing a place on his mantel.

jojo
07-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Personally, I'd give them both the Felix.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Mario Soto-esque

villain612
07-02-2014, 06:50 PM
2 runs in this 3 game series.

Whoa.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Guy on WLW tonight may stroke out.

jojo
07-02-2014, 06:58 PM

It's just one darn series on a west coast road trip to boot.

Roy Tucker
07-02-2014, 07:14 PM
For all the CPU cycles spent on it, baseball can be an unpredictable sport at times.

It happened. Have a couple drinks on the plane home and hope the wife is in a receptive mood when you get home. Kick some Brewer butt on Friday.

westofyou
07-02-2014, 07:28 PM

That's their business plan

5TimeWSChamps
07-02-2014, 07:57 PM
So the negative guys aren't 100% right
The positive guys aren't 100% right

Yep, .500 club

Ironman92
07-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Blown chances to gain ground with the Brewers losing again today......time is rapidly running out. 79 games to play. And many against some very good teams.

I'll agree with this in 2 months

Raisor
07-02-2014, 08:24 PM

Darn

RED VAN HOT
07-02-2014, 10:36 PM
I've sat through some disappointing Reds series here, but this one was the worse. Over three games Padres pitchers walked 4 and struck out 29. They got ahead of Reds hitters consistently. I remember only one 2-0 count and only a handful that reached 3 balls. In the second game the Reds were taking so many strikes that one frustrated Reds fan yelled out "swing the bat". Perhaps, they were following a strategy of not swinging at the first pitch unless it was a fat one. Whatever it was, it sure cost them as they were behind in the count all series.

Halfway between
07-03-2014, 01:13 AM

I don't think Wainwright has capitulated on Cy yet.

cumberlandreds
07-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Let's pretend this never happened

Are there mulligans in baseball? The Reds need one for this series. Jeeesh......

jojo
07-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Are there mulligans in baseball? The Reds need one for this series. Jeeesh......

How would you like to be a Giants fan? They recently got swept in a 4 game series at home in which they only scored 6 runs. They've scored 17 runs in their last 9 games and have went 2-7 so far on their homestand including 3 shutout losses.

RedTeamGo!
07-03-2014, 08:40 AM
2 world series in the past 4 years? I would love to be a Giants fan.

jojo
07-03-2014, 08:55 AM
2 world series in the past 4 years? I would love to be a Giants fan.

Nothing is stopping you. But the point was that this particular moment in time might not be the one you should chose to jump ship though since we're talking about mulligans.

cumberlandreds
07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
How would you like to be a Giants fan? They recently got swept in a 4 game series at home in which they only scored 6 runs. They've scored 17 runs in their last 9 games and have went 2-7 so far on their homestand including 3 shutout losses.

I'm a Reds fan so I don't worry about what anyone else is doing or wonder what it would be like to be a fan of their team.

jojo
07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm a Reds fan so I don't worry about what anyone else is doing or wonder what it would be like to be a fan of their team.

Good for you!

Red Raindog
07-03-2014, 01:06 PM

they are closer to a World Series win and first place though -- just saying

jojo
07-03-2014, 01:11 PM
they are closer to a World Series win and first place though -- just saying

The point was that the Reds are coming home from a west coast swing with an winning record on the trip. The Giants are getting their golden goose cooked on a long homestand. I know which scenario I'd pick on the kvetching scale.

Red Raindog
07-03-2014, 01:40 PM
The point was that the Reds are coming home from a west coast swing with an winning record on the trip. The Giants are getting their golden goose cooked on a long homestand. I know which scenario I'd pick on the kvetching scale.

understand -- just all in all -- I'd rather be griping about a bad home stand while still in 1st place