PDA

View Full Version : Emmy Nominations are out

Chip R
07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/10/emmy-nominations-2014_n_5573665.html

BuckeyeRed27
07-10-2014, 03:48 PM
My only gripe is that "Hannibal" is snubbed. That show is amazing and if it was on cable or Netflix would be getting way move love.

Kingspoint
07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Boardwalk Empire didn't get many, but they did get a Best Director (Tim Van Patten) nominee (For "Farewell Daddy Blues"). They have a good shot there, I think.

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series

"Boardwalk Empire" -- Farewell Daddy Blues" (Tim Van Patten)
"Breaking Bad' -- "Felina" (Vince Gilligan)
"Downton Abbey" -- "Episode 1" (David Evans)
"Game Of Thrones" -- "The Watchers on the Wall" (Neil Marshall)
"House Of Cards" -- "Chapter 14" (Carl Franklin)
"True Detective" -- "Who Goes There" (Cary Joji Fukunaga)

- - - Updated - - -

Can't see Fargo losing this one...

Outstanding Miniseries

“American Horror Story: Coven”
“Fargo”
“The White Queen”
“Bonnie and Clyde”
“Treme”

NebraskaRed
07-10-2014, 05:08 PM
If for no other reason, True Detective has to win that for the long tracking shot sequence in that episode.

Raisor
07-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I was snubbed again.

Larkin Fan
07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
I was snubbed again.

Can't you just be happy with your multiple nobel prizes?

Razor Shines
07-10-2014, 07:57 PM
If for no other reason, True Detective has to win that for the long tracking shot sequence in that episode.

I agree, I think that's pretty much a lock for best director. Plus that episode had my favorite line on TV this year (maybe any year): "You are the Michael Jordan of being a son of a b."

If not they'll probably give it to Gilligan.

Raisor
07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Can't you just be happy with your multiple nobel prizes?

No

07-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Big snubs in my opinion:

Black Orphan and it's cast, especially Tatiana Maslany.

Brooklyn 99 and Andy Samberg

James Spader in The Blacklist.

And why is Downton Abby and Mad Men and both their casts still getting nominations? Both shows died a long time ago.

Ohayou
07-10-2014, 09:33 PM
And why is Downton Abby and Mad Men and both their casts still getting nominations? Both shows died a long time ago.

Uh?

dougdirt
07-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Andy Samberg and Brooklyn Nine-Nine not getting anything is a joke.

Kingspoint
07-11-2014, 01:04 AM
Andy Samberg and Brooklyn Nine-Nine not getting anything is a joke.

My spouse and I love that show.

dougdirt
07-11-2014, 01:33 AM
My spouse and I love that show.

It can't come back quickly enough.

RedTeamGo!
07-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Boardwalk Empire probably didn't get a lot of nominations because it isn't very good.

BuckeyeRed27
07-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Big snubs in my opinion:

Black Orphan and it's cast, especially Tatiana Maslany.

Brooklyn 99 and Andy Samberg

James Spader in The Blacklist.

Totally agree with Tatiana Maslany, she is fantastic.

Kingspoint
07-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Boardwalk Empire probably didn't get a lot of nominations because it isn't very good.

Based on what? Your opinion?

Here's one of the things I like about Boardwalk Empire (by making everything around the characters as accurate as possible, he was able to leave mystery to the show by ficionalizing his characters, thus not allowing people to google-click what happens to a character, thus ruining the story and anticipation)...

Winter also opted to get a crew of detail-oriented researchers who could make sure everything else was as historically accurate as possible.

Enter Edward McGinty and Vicki Gold Levi — two Atlantic City natives whose connection to the town goes back to the days of Prohibition (McGinty’s grandfather worked at the Ritz-Carlton when the real Nucky was living there; Levi met the man himself as a kid). These two Encyclopedia Brown types aren’t the whole of the show’s research operation — costumers and set designers do their own backgrounding as well — and neither take any more credit for the accuracy of the show than they feel they deserve.

“This whole production is just a research factory,” McGinty told Wired.

Wired asked Winter, McGinty and Levi to open up that factory, and in the process got the details about putting truth into historical fiction, the Great Moustache Debate during Season 2, Lucky Luciano giving himself gonorrhea, going to the Museum of Sex in New York for “research,” and the softer side of the real Al Capone that’s rarely seen on TV (until now).

http://www.wired.com/2012/09/tv-fact-checkers-boardwalk-empire/

“I WAS A BIG FAN OF DEADWOOD, BUT ONCE I FOUND OUT THAT ALL THOSE PEOPLE WERE REAL, THE FIRST THING I DID WAS GOOGLE EVERYBODY.”
— TERENCE WINTER

Kingspoint
07-11-2014, 01:09 PM

You're in a small minority, but you're entitled to your minority opinion.

Critical reception

Boardwalk Empire has received mostly positive reviews from critics. On the review aggregator website Metacritic, the first season scored 88 out of 100, and the second season scored 81 out of 100, both indicating "universal acclaim." The third season scored 76 of 100, and the fourth season scored 77 out of 100, both indicating "generally favorable reviews." For its first and second seasons, The American Film Institute named Boardwalk Empire one of the ten "best television programs of the year."

On another review aggregator site, Rotten Tomatoes, the first season received a score of 96% out of 100. Season two received an 85%, the third season an 84% and the fourth season a 95%, stating "Boardwalk Empire continues to benefit from its meticulously realized period trappings, but what keeps the show watchable is its supremely talented ensemble players".

David Hinkley of the New York Daily News awarded the series five stars, saying, "Watching HBO's new 'Boardwalk Empire' is like sitting in your favorite tavern and hearing someone say, 'Drinks are on the house.' Friends, it does not get much better." Paige Wiser of the Chicago Sun-Times called it "... an event not to be missed," and praised Buscemi in particular, calling his performance "fascinating."

TV Guide's Matt Roush praised the partnership of Scorsese and Winter, saying it "... brilliantly marries Martin Scorsese's virtuosic cinematic eye to Terence Winter's panoramic mastery of rich character and eventful story," and finished his review by stating, "It's the most purely—and impurely—enjoyable storytelling HBO has delivered in ages, like a movie that you never want to end."

Variety's Brian Lowry praised the show for returning network HBO to top form, saying, "This is, quite simply, television at its finest, occupying a sweet spot that—for all the able competition—still remains unique to HBO: An expensive, explicit, character-driven program, tackling material no broadcast network or movie studio would dare touch ... For those wondering when the channel would deliver another franchise to definitively put it on top of the world, Ma, the wait is over: Go directly to Boardwalk."

I could go on and on with more acclaim from credited critics, as the above is just a small amount of the praise Boardwalk Empire has received.

But, when you state something so blatantly as you did, you should support that statement with some "why's". Saying "Joey Votto sucks" doesn't mean much if you don't support it with some other information.

Razor Shines
07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
I know I really enjoyed Boardwalk Empire the first season and a half, then I found myself falling asleep during the episodes late on Sunday nights. That means it's time for it to go but I do have a very small roster of shows that I regularly watch. So all I have is my own anecdotal evidence, it probably just means I'm dumb.

Razor Shines
07-11-2014, 04:04 PM
However, 757690 saying Madmen sucks be fighting words. But he also said that Looper sucked so that's him problem.

07-11-2014, 04:34 PM
However, 757690 saying Madmen sucks be fighting words. But he also said that Looper sucked so that's him problem.

Didn't say Mad Men sucks, just that it died years ago. It's very difficult and rare for a show to be Emmy worthy after it's third season. It's still well made, but I just don't care what happens to the characters anymore.

Looper on the other hand... :evil:

*BaseClogger*
07-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Didn't say Mad Men sucks, just that it died years ago. It's very difficult and rare for a show to be Emmy worthy after it's third season. It's still well made, but I just don't care what happens to the characters anymore.

Mad Men was in a rut during its fifth and sixth seasons, no question. While it was a bit inconsistent, I think at times the first half of season seven compared favorably to the show's golden age...

Kingspoint
07-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Mad Men was in a rut during its fifth and sixth seasons, no question. While it was a bit inconsistent, I think at times the first half of season seven compared favorably to the show's golden age...

Agree.

Razor Shines
07-12-2014, 08:12 AM

I know you didn't, I was exaggerating. I also would not fight someone simply for saying Mad Men sucks. However, the fact that you hate Looper infuriates me so much that if I ever see you and I'm in my car I will run you over.

Ohayou
07-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Hard to believe Hamm has never won an Emmy. Then again, neither has Hugh Laurie. Then again... House kind of sucks.

07-12-2014, 03:41 PM
I know you didn't, I was exaggerating. I also would not fight someone simply for saying Mad Men sucks. However, the fact that you hate Looper infuriates me so much that if I ever see you and I'm in my car I will run you over.

You'd only be running over the future version of myself, who came back to warn people that the plot of the sequel to Looper is even less plausible than the plot of the first one.

Razor Shines
07-12-2014, 04:27 PM
You'd only be running over the future version of myself, who came back to warn people that the plot of the sequel to Looper is even less plausible than the plot of the first one.

I know you fancy yourself a writer of some sort so serious question: What did you think of Primer? That's the one time travel movie I can think of that I enjoy more than Looper other than the Back to Future trilogy of course.

07-12-2014, 07:19 PM
I know you fancy yourself a writer of some sort so serious question: What did you think of Primer? That's the one time travel movie I can think of that I enjoy more than Looper other than the Back to Future trilogy of course.

First, I love the Back to the Future movies, even though the logic behind the time travel is rather silly, but that's why it works, the movies are kinda silly and fun, not to be taken seriously. I feel the same way about Major League. It gets the baseball part all wrong, but it's so much fun, it doesn't matter.

I do like time travel movies, except when they include meeting one's future or past self (BTF excluded) since there really is no way for that make sense. Primer is a great example of this. It is the most realistic look at how it could work, and it's so complicated and confusing, no one can understand it, at least not on first viewing. And even their solution raises as many questions as it answers.

As for Looper, I am in the extreme minority on this, I understand. I am the only one of my friends who didn't love it. But I also constantly get notes about stuff that I write that isn't believable, or workable, which is ten times more believable or workable than the plot of Looper, so that's probably clouding my judgment.