PDA

View Full Version : James Garner, R.I.P.

RedsBaron
07-20-2014, 07:14 AM
James Garner has died, age 86. R.I.P.

RichRed
07-20-2014, 11:33 AM
There have been few cooler characters on TV than Jim Rockford was in the '70s.

westofyou
07-20-2014, 11:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SijxE8S6wYQ

jimbo
07-20-2014, 01:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SijxE8S6wYQ

When I was a child, my parents loved the Rockford Files. I believe it was on Friday nights. That opening theme song is still embedded into my brain.

I've always been a big fan of James Garner. I can't remember seeing anything with him in it that I didn't like. I was too young to get into the Maverick tv series, but I loved the movie with him and Mel Gibson.

RIP

KronoRed
07-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Sad news, he was in a bunch of good stuff, always great.

marcshoe
07-21-2014, 12:06 AM
I still watch Rockford on Netflix sometimes. One of my favorites.

GAC
07-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the theme song go #1 on the Pop charts, and was the only TV theme song to ever do so?

R.I.P. Jim. I enjoyed you (and Jack Kelly) in Maverick long before Rockford.

marcshoe
07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
He also had a bunch of interesting pre-Rockford movie roles, from The Great Escape, through a bunch of Romantic Comedies (back before RomCom became a cliche) to Support Your Local Sheriff. Somehow I was still surprised at how old he was.

Mutaman
07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Rockfish might be the only show in the history of TV that compares to the Sopranos.

Years ago my buddy took his new bride to the Bing Crosby Golf Tournament. They were standing around the putting green when she complained "I thought you said there would be some celebrities here." A voice behind her said "What about me?". She turned around and there was James Garner smiling at her.

Rojo
07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Rockfish might be the only show in the history of TV that compares to the Sopranos.

Kind of man's fantasy -- no family, no regular job, live at the beach, gold Camaro, fishing with the old man. And there was the young blonde lawyer, was it Beth? Yeow.

Mutaman
07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Kind of man's fantasy -- no family, no regular job, live at the beach, gold Camaro, fishing with the old man. And there was the young blonde lawyer, was it Beth? Yeow.

Plus having good buddy Dennis on the force.

The only down side is everyone comes around with a sob story but they seem to disappear when the bill is due.

Chip R
07-22-2014, 07:27 PM

Of course he got beat up all the time.

Joseph
07-22-2014, 08:37 PM
RIP Jimmy.

RichRed
07-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Of course he got beat up all the time.

I was thinking the same thing. Too many roughnecks knew where he lived. Other than that though...

Roy Tucker
07-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Sad to hear this. Great guy and multiple great tv and movie roles.

Another touchstone of my past gone. Starting to not like this getting old thing. People die.

Mutaman
07-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Another touchstone of my past gone. Starting to not like this getting old thing. People die.

Mick and the boys warned us: What a drag it is getting old.

Rojo
07-23-2014, 02:10 PM

The only down side is everyone comes around with a sob story but they seem to disappear when the bill is due.

Yeah, and Angel was a bit of a millstone.

westofyou
07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/07/28/the_rockford_files_episode_that_inspired_the_sopra nos_1979_s_just_a_coupla.html

A gang from Newark’s South Side is hiding Vinnie Martine’s body in a restaurant freezer. Tony’s mad because Anthony Jr. got caught pranking another mobster. And a boss who’s trying to reform gets his mansion sprayed with bullets.

Remember that episode of The Sopranos? If you do, your memory’s playing tricks on you, because all these things happened on a 1979 episode of The Rockford Files—written by Sopranos creator David Chase.

Mutaman
07-28-2014, 05:56 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/07/28/the_rockford_files_episode_that_inspired_the_sopra nos_1979_s_just_a_coupla.html

A gang from Newark’s South Side is hiding Vinnie Martine’s body in a restaurant freezer. Tony’s mad because Anthony Jr. got caught pranking another mobster. And a boss who’s trying to reform gets his mansion sprayed with bullets.

Remember that episode of The Sopranos? If you do, your memory’s playing tricks on you, because all these things happened on a 1979 episode of The Rockford Files—written by Sopranos creator David Chase.

You learn something every day.

Kingspoint
07-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Years ago my buddy took his new bride to the Bing Crosby Golf Tournament. They were standing around the putting green when she complained "I thought you said there would be some celebrities here." A voice behind her said "What about me?". She turned around and there was James Garner smiling at her.

Wow. Can't believe she had the nerve to say something like that. She better be really hot to make up for the rest of her.

Typical Garner, though, to come back with something like that. Always loved everything he did.

Mutaman
07-29-2014, 01:34 AM
Wow. Can't believe she had the nerve to say something like that. She better be really hot to make up for the rest of her.

I think you missed the point.

Sea Ray
08-05-2014, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I never understood how he made a living...maybe that's why he was living in that trailer...