PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Unlimited

marcshoe
07-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Is anyone here trying Kindle Unlimited? I thought I'd try the free month, at least, since my books are available through the service. I've mostly read about the few books available and all that, but it looks like enough is available to justify ten dollars a month.

I don't know all the details yet. I've borrowed two books, The Hangman's Daughter and something I've never heard of called Seed, but I don't know how long I can keep them, and I don't know how the audiobook portion works yet.

Redsfaithful
07-24-2014, 12:01 AM
I saw this, and even more than Pandora/Spotify for music I can't see how the writers make any money under this model. I mean, I know Amazon will pay something, but I just don't see how it will amount to much. Which is a bummer. As a consumer I guess it's great, but I've thought it was really wonderful that people can self publish on Amazon and make a legitimate living, and I don't see how that continues at 9.99 a month all you can eat.

cumberlandreds
07-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Did this replace their lending library? I used that just recently and trying to find it for my wife and couldn't.

marcshoe
07-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Did this replace their lending library? I used that just recently and trying to find it for my wife and couldn't.

I don't think so. My sales report now has a KU/KOLL (Kindle Unlimited/Kindle Owners Lending Library) category, so I think the older program is still available. fwiw, when I had prime, I would go through long periods of time without the borrowing option working. I was too lazy to look into why.

reds1869
07-24-2014, 08:39 AM
fwiw, when I had prime, I would go through long periods of time without the borrowing option working. I was too lazy to look into why.

Amazon only allows you to borrow one book per calendar month through the KOLL. So unless you are talking even longer periods of time that might be why.

cumberlandreds
07-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Amazon only allows you to borrow one book per calendar month through the KOLL. So unless you are talking even longer periods of time that might be why.

That is the reason I couldn't find it. Thanks.

dougdirt
07-25-2014, 01:34 PM
I saw this, and even more than Pandora/Spotify for music I can't see how the writers make any money under this model. I mean, I know Amazon will pay something, but I just don't see how it will amount to much. Which is a bummer. As a consumer I guess it's great, but I've thought it was really wonderful that people can self publish on Amazon and make a legitimate living, and I don't see how that continues at 9.99 a month all you can eat.

I did a little bit of reading on it. Traditional publishing companies still get paid the same as they would if they sold the book, as long as the reader gets 10% into the book. Self publishers.... yeah, they are getting screwed. http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2014/kindle-unlimiteds-two-tier-system-makes-some-authors-second-class-citizens/

As for the whole streaming music thing, those guys.... I found this while reading on the whole Kindle Unlimited thing: http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelhumphrey/2014/07/18/david-byrnes-warning-about-kindleunlimited-from-last-october/

Byrne points to a Pitchfork piece by fellow musician Damon Krukowski about what those numbers actually mean for artists. Krukowski summed it up this way: “Since we own our own recordings, by my calculation it would take songwriting royalties for roughly 312,000 plays on Pandora to earn us the profit of one–one– LP sale. (On Spotify, one LP is equivalent to 47,680 plays.)”

Degenerate39
07-27-2014, 10:26 PM
You also get the audiobook with Unlimited.