PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lieberthal; C.C. Sabathia; Brandon Duckworth

cincinnati chili
04-26-2003, 04:57 PM
I'm in a keeper head to head league. We have one offensive and one pitching category

Our offensive category is runs created/27 outs

Our pitching category is complicated, but it's HEAVILY based on earned run average. Wins don't matter all that much compared to most head to head leagues.

I have Mike Lieberthal, who is on fire right now and will clearly cool off. He also had some injury problems in spring training.

I've been offered either C.C. Sabathia or Brandon Duckworth straight up for Lieberthal.

Now, I imagine most of you will say to jump on this deal. But I've always thought Sabathia has been a big risk. He's fat, he's young, and he manages to get himself in trouble off the field. He's thrown a lot of pitches for a young guy and his velocity is way down this year.

Last year, he was a very average pitcher in our league.

Oh yeah, I have Chad Moeller on my bench at catcher who can't take Lieberthal's place.

Am I thinking way too much about this. Should I just take Sabathia and forget about it?

I like Duckworth, but I'm always leery of curve ball pitchers. Sometimes umpires won't call their pitches for strikes. I think he gets squeezed a lot.

Thoughts?

Johnny Footstool
04-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Lieberthal will cool off, but still be a top-10 catcher. I wouldn't deal him for Sabathia or Duckworth unless you're really hurting for pitchers.

westofyou
04-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Oh yeah, I have Chad Moeller on my bench at catcher who can't take Lieberthal's place.

Mike will be hurt by August (Will Carrol believes it's a sure bet),
Also note that anytime Mikes caught less than 100 games his rc/27 takes a big dip.

Moeller himself is having a fine year, whilst Brajas is hurt... he might not give up the job while the rest of Az Offense tanks (he has a history of having a good OB% and he's at peak age)

He's clipping along at a rc/27 of 7.82 after 65 ab's

Am I thinking way too much about this. Should I just take Sabathia and forget about it?

I bet the MED heads would say yes.

Johnny Footstool
04-29-2003, 01:08 AM
Sabathia's health is by no means guaranteed and his K/9 is way down this season.

I think you can do better.

cincinnati chili
04-29-2003, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys. I'm definitely trying to deal him before he cools off, but I've decided to take the chance that I can do better.

Great analysis both of you.

Johnny Footstool
05-14-2003, 04:45 PM
FWIW, in an 8-team league with an emphasis on closers, I was just able to trade Lieberthal for Percival, straight up.

Liebs is the #3 catcher right now, behind Posada and Pudge (who I own).

cincinnati chili
05-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Footstool
FWIW, in an 8-team league with an emphasis on closers, I was just able to trade Lieberthal for Percival, straight up.

Liebs is the #3 catcher right now, behind Posada and Pudge (who I own).

Thanks Johnny. I still have him. Nobody's bit yet. I also have 4 closers in a 16 team 30 players per team mixed league, and can't get rid of Brandon Lyon.