PDA

View Full Version : Reds' 2015 1st Rnd Pick is Protected. Who would you get if possible?

PadsFS
09-30-2014, 05:01 PM
You gotta think guys like Scherzer, Shields, and Cruz will be offered arbitration.

Hanley Ramirez, Nelson Cruz, Aramis Ramirez, and Melky Cabrera could be targets as well.

RedlegJake
10-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Truthfully, I'll be very surprised if the Reds offer on a protected FA. Most will be out of the price range that I think the Reds will want. It does give them a bit of flex, though, since they won't have to consider the loss of a pick. Maybe if a guy would take a short 1-2 year deal.

PadsFS
10-02-2014, 11:17 AM
I'd really like to see the Reds add another SS too. To me, I only see six teams in the market for a SS. The Yankees, Dodgers, Athletics, Orioles, Mets, and Reds.

Hardy and Ramirez are likely going to one of the first 3, assuming Baltimore doesn't want to shift Machado over to SS where he belongs. That leaves Lowrie, Drew, and A. Cabrera left for the A's, Mets, and Reds as I don't see the Orioles going after a different SS if they miss on Hardy.

The Mets have both Ruben Tejada and Wilmer Flores at SS, who aren't the worst options (Tejada with a .342 OBP and Flores with a .251 BA and 6 HRs in half a season) so I don't know that they improve much by adding one of the three remaining FA SS, as opposed to upgrading elsewhere.

The Athletics will likely be the main competition due to fit. Furthermore, I feel like Cozart could really use a platoon buddy as he hits well vs. LHP. Lowrie and Cabrera are both switch-hitters while Drew is a LH hitter, so I could really see a fit with one of these three.

Big Red Smokey
10-02-2014, 11:46 PM
The issues all across the OF, 2B, and 1B highlighted the issues at SS.

Fact is, a legitimate MLB starting lineup covers up Cozart's deficiencies easily.

BernieCarbo
10-03-2014, 08:34 AM
It depends on how he's handled though. Cozart has actually had more plate appearances in the first two spots of the batting order than at the bottom part of the order during his career, which baffles me. At least Price has reversed this usage of him for the most part. They still need a couple of guys who can get on base in front of Votto, but I have no idea where they are coming from.

RedlegJake
10-03-2014, 09:55 AM
If they have the money I'd like Melky Cabrera. Can play CF in spots, high OBP both BA and walk driven. Lead him off, then push Hamilton down to 7th or 8th with Cozart for the defensive end of the lineup. Billy has speed, Zach has occasional pop (I expect to see it again). But, Votto and Bruce MUST comeback to something close to their norms for this team to have a chance.

RedFanT
10-03-2014, 10:07 PM
They still need a couple of guys who can get on base in front of Votto, but I have no idea where they are coming from.

Seeing how Votto is the only hitter who has been able to consistently get on base , maybe Price should bat him leadoff, instead. If nor, at least go back to the 'experiment' of batting him second, assuming people are still convinced that Billy Hamilton will learn at some point how to get on base.

BernieCarbo
10-04-2014, 10:03 AM
It probably doesn't matter that much exactly where he bats as long as the best guys are bunched up together. Heck, they may as well start with Votto, Frazier, and Mesoraco and then hope for the best with whoever happens to be hot as cleanup.

RedFanT
10-05-2014, 10:08 PM
If I was Price in spring training, I would bat them according to their OBPs last season (the higher the OBP, the higher in the placing in the batting order), and tell them until they prove otherwise that's how the order will be maintained. That would change things drastically and get them ready to try it in the regular season (give them a minimum of 50 PAs before fully implementing it). Of course, whoever batted first and second would probably complain about losing RBI opportunities, but it would work. Maybe it would motivate Billy to take more pitches and get on base to use his speed. It would revolutionize things, which is what I was hoping for when Bryan was hired as manager after last season.

NeilHamburger
10-07-2014, 09:36 AM
If they have the money I'd like Melky Cabrera. Can play CF in spots, high OBP both BA and walk driven. Lead him off, then push Hamilton down to 7th or 8th with Cozart for the defensive end of the lineup. Billy has speed, Zach has occasional pop (I expect to see it again). But, Votto and Bruce MUST comeback to something close to their norms for this team to have a chance.

Hamilton, Cozart, Pitcher is the death knell for offense. People keep trying to figure out ways of keeping both Cozart and Hamilton in the lineup. I just don't see it.

PadsFS
10-07-2014, 12:36 PM
It depends on how he's handled though. Cozart has actually had more plate appearances in the first two spots of the batting order than at the bottom part of the order during his career, which baffles me. At least Price has reversed this usage of him for the most part. They still need a couple of guys who can get on base in front of Votto, but I have no idea where they are coming from.

That really can't happen again. (Cozart at the top of the lineup)

PaulyOH
10-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Hamilton, Cozart, Pitcher is the death knell for offense. People keep trying to figure out ways of keeping both Cozart and Hamilton in the lineup. I just don't see it.

Agreed. Although I think Hamilton will improve, Cozart won't, or at least not enough to make a difference. The other lineup issue in regards to OBP is Brandon Phillips should NEVER bat higher than 5th again, period. Here's the lineup as I see it right now:
1. Hamilton
2. Votto
3. Frazier
4. Bruce
5. Mesoraco
6. Leftfielder TBA (getting an upgrade through trade or free agency is a MUST)
7. Phillips
8. Cozart or TBA (upgrade here important, but not as much as LF)

Note: If the Reds can get a good on-base guy for LF or SS, he can bat 2nd and move everyone down a slot

RedlegJake
10-07-2014, 07:55 PM
I would love an upgrade at SS that didn't sacrifice too much defense but I don't think it's a realistic goal. I think people are underestimating how much Votto and Bruce's season hurt this offense. That's why I say they HAVE to bounce back or the Reds are toast anyway. If they are hurt or bomb again, especially both together, it really won't matter much who is in left or who plays SS. Neither one of them (meaning JV and JB) is going anywhere, imo (although I'd entertain serious offers for either I don't see Walt doing so). Ergo, they better be back in form.

BernieCarbo
10-12-2014, 12:26 AM
I don't underestimate what Votto and Bruce cost, but I think a lot of people underestimate what the transition of Choo to Hamilton was. I like the guy, but I'm afraid the Reds really need a leadoff hitter now. Hamilton won't cut it in 2015.

swaisuc
10-14-2014, 03:09 PM

Melky is plan A for me as well. He's a hard one to predict for cost though.

I think balance is helpful and at our best we have some defensive standouts, some guys who get on base, some guys who can hit HRs.... the primary thing lacking is pure hitters. Melky is a dying breed of 170 hit, .300 AVG type hitters that can put the ball in play and still OPS 800+.

PTjvs
10-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Melky is plan A for me as well. He's a hard one to predict for cost though.

I think balance is helpful and at our best we have some defensive standouts, some guys who get on base, some guys who can hit HRs.... the primary thing lacking is pure hitters. Melky is a dying breed of 170 hit, .300 AVG type hitters that can put the ball in play and still OPS 800+.

Melky is a good skill fit for what the Reds need, but I really don't want to root for a steroid guy.

jvs

CarolinaRedsfan
10-23-2014, 03:50 AM

Agreed. Think this would be a good move.

Big Red Smokey
10-26-2014, 05:11 AM
Melky makes the most sense but he's gonna get a big deal IMO.

Billy Budd
10-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Melky makes the most sense but he's gonna get a big deal IMO.

Ummm, you think? The Blue Jays are talking about offering Cabrera 3 years 15.3 million per year. Yeah, Melky will not be a Red.

RedlegJake
10-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Ummm, you think? The Blue Jays are talking about offering Cabrera 3 years 15.3 million per year. Yeah, Melky will not be a Red.

If that's his price I don't want him