PDA

View Full Version : David Johansen Will Not Let NYC Become Cincinnati

Mutaman
10-15-2014, 04:14 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/david-johansen-21-questions.html

Answer to question 21.

fearofpopvol1
10-15-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't know if I should be surprised, but there are a lot of Cincinnati people here. I tend to run into 1 every other week it seems like. I had dinner last weekend at a restaurant and happened to be wearing a Reds cap and the waitress told me she was from the Western Hills area.

Mutaman
10-15-2014, 08:04 PM
I don't know if I should be surprised, but there are a lot of Cincinnati people here. I tend to run into 1 every other week it seems like. I had dinner last weekend at a restaurant and happened to be wearing a Reds cap and the waitress told me she was from the Western Hills area.

In many moons of living in NYC and meeting folks from just about every corner of the world, I can't recall ever meeting anyone from Cincinnati. Closest might have been Steve Cauthen , and he was from Walton Kentucky. (Nice guy, great jockey).

I loved the following from David:

What's the craziest thing you've ever seen on the subway?
One time I got off the express at 96th Street and the 1 train was waiting for me.

Can't say I've ever experienced that.

fearofpopvol1
10-15-2014, 08:51 PM
In many moons of living in NYC and meeting folks from just about every corner of the world, I can't recall ever meeting anyone from Cincinnati. Closest might have been Steve Cauthen , and he was from Walton Kentucky. (Nice guy, great jockey).

I loved the following from David:

What's the craziest thing you've ever seen on the subway?
One time I got off the express at 96th Street and the 1 train was waiting for me.

Can't say I've ever experienced that.

Really? Oh man, it happens to me all the time. Have you ever gone to Edward's on Cincinnati night? Edward is Kevin Youkilis' uncle and owns the place and is from Cincy.

http://www.edwardsnyc.com/cincinnati-night-menu/

It's a little pricey for what it is, but it's pretty rad. There is a ton of people there...a lot of P&G transplants or otherwise. Now, I lived most of my upbringing in Indianapolis and have come across 1 person (who is actually a friend) from there and that is it.

I've actually caught the 1 at 96th before too! Not often though and not recently since I don't get up that way much anymore.

Mutaman
10-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Really? Oh man, it happens to me all the time. Have you ever gone to Edward's on Cincinnati night? Edward is Kevin Youkilis' uncle and owns the place and is from Cincy.

http://www.edwardsnyc.com/cincinnati-night-menu/

It's a little pricey for what it is, but it's pretty rad. There is a ton of people there...a lot of P&G transplants or otherwise. Now, I lived most of my upbringing in Indianapolis and have come across 1 person (who is actually a friend) from there and that is it.

I've actually caught the 1 at 96th before too! Not often though and not recently since I don't get up that way much anymore.

I like the looks. I had an office in TriBeCa but left there around 2000 so I guess i just missed this place which seems to have opened in 2001. (Not a good year to open a place in that neighborhood). I like Walkers which is on N.Moore Street. I will check it out.

Joseph
10-17-2014, 09:33 PM
I can't say I blame him! There's already one Cincinnati. That's the perfect amount.

Yachtzee
10-26-2014, 11:39 AM
I can't say I blame him! There's already one Cincinnati. That's the perfect amount.

I agree. I like Cincinnati. I like NYC. When I go to Cincinnati, I like to experience Cincinnati, with it's Oktoberfest, chili, the Reds, the Bengals, etc. When I go to NYC, I like to experience all that NYC has to offer that you can't do elsewhere. I like local flavor.

RedTeamGo!
10-30-2014, 10:35 AM
I visited my sister-in-law in NYC last spring. I am cool with never going back.

Everything is dirty and gross. There are people always on top of you, at one point we were walking down the street and a woman with two hypodermic needles pointing outwards, one in each hand, walked by with a blank look on her face that was basically the creepiest thing I have ever seen in my life. I literally had to push my wife out of the way and jump against a wall. She was going to walk right into us with these what appears to be sharp, used needles. I think she was doing it so people wouldn't touch her. Either way. Good grief it was disturbing.

I also do not understand why people from New York City are so in your face about how amazing their lives are and how much your life sucks. Actually, no, you live in a rat-infested $3000 apartment that is 600 sq ft in a horrible part of Brooklyn and are miserable.

Just not my cup of tea. Chicago is a much better/nicer city.