PDA

View Full Version : Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

dabvu2498
10-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Has anyone bothered with the The Judge? I like Duval. I like Downey. I have a feeling I won't like the movie.

Razor Shines
10-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Razor -- If you see the trailer, you'd know that's what happens. They give away all the goodies.

And with that spoiler, since we're over 1000 posts, I'm going to close this and start a new one.

Here: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t-IV&p=3186358

Has anyone bothered with the The Judge? I like Duval. I like Downey. I have a feeling I won't like the movie.

Lol. I've seen the trailer and the movie but didn't realize they give that part away. Alright, redsfanmania is out of spoiler jail.

I feel the same way about The Judge. Waiting to rent that one.

dougdirt
10-22-2014, 03:10 PM
What have I been watching lately?

#Stuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqFiLXN4nIc

Don't let the stupid hashtag in the name fool you, this movie was worth watching. It's not a classic and the movie involves the two main characters for about 95% of the movie without much else from other actors in the movie. I enjoyed it. 3 out of 5. Solid flick.

Nas: Time is Illmatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VNFCnS9c1E

This was both better and worse than I expected. If you have ever watched interviews or things like it with Nas, you know that he usually comes off like he's not really there or just doesn't care. So my expectations weren't too high based on that, but I had hoped that it would be better built if done around others stories and in more of a documentary style. Nas actually was coherent and thoughtful here, so that part was great. Once I realized that early on, my expectations grew. Then things just didn't live up to what I was expecting. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. 2 out of 5.

Chelsea Handler: Uganda by kidding me
I never really found her funny, so I have no idea why I thought this would be. There were a few laughs over the hour, but no. Just no. It's on Netflix if you do like her.
1 out of 5.

In a World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKCMdPXVdM
Loved it. It's on Netflix. Lake Bell is awesome. 4 out of 5.

The Hunting Part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnr74cqX9k
Jesse Eisenberg, Terrence Howard and Richard Gere. Big names but just an ok movie. It was enjoyable, but I wouldn't watch it again. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Print the Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeqT2NvTFSw
Interesting documentary on the whole 3D printing revolution. It wasn't quite what I expected, but it was still a good documentary. 3 out of 5 stars.

Scents and Sensibilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ebl0TtqzM
Judge me if you must, but I watched it. Cheesy, incredibly predictable Hallmark Channel type of movie, but you knew that going in (hopefully). It was exactly what you expected. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Detention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4PFz9gIKKM
Sort of a slasher type of movie that takes place in a high school with a strange twist or three. Nothing great, but a decent time killer if there's not much else that is catching your eye. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

That's all I can remember over the past month or so, though I'm sure there are a few more mixed in.

RedTeamGo!
10-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Did you ever get around to watching City of God?

dougdirt
10-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Did you ever get around to watching City of God?

It's in my queue. It won't happen until the middle of December when I'm finished with my book.

LoganBuck
10-22-2014, 09:11 PM
So did everyone see the trailer for Avengers: Age of Ultron? Because :beerme::mooner::devil::birthday::alcohol::jump::j ump::jump::jump::jump::jump::party::luvu::yikes::s hocked::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAi d::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::Ko olAid::KoolAid::KoolAid:

*BaseClogger*
10-23-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm disappointed by your comments on Time is Illmatic. Is that one already on Netflix?

I saw Birdman last night. It's like a two hour long hallucination... in the best way possible! :D

dougdirt
10-23-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm disappointed by your comments on Time is Illmatic. Is that one already on Netflix?

If it is I am going to be mad because I paid for half of it with my cousin last week on VOD.

WVRed
10-23-2014, 04:30 PM
So did everyone see the trailer for Avengers: Age of Ultron? Because :beerme::mooner::devil::birthday::alcohol::jump::j ump::jump::jump::jump::jump::party::luvu::yikes::s hocked::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAi d::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::Ko olAid::KoolAid::KoolAid:

http://procrasti-nation.eu/wp-content/uploads/Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

James Spader as Ultron is on the level as Heath Ledger as Joker, just so perfect for the role. The Pinnochio lines are epic.

LoganBuck
10-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Yep, because the Age of Ultron trailer was leaked and spoiled the ratings bonanza, now they are going to release an extended trailer during Agents of S.h.i.e.l.d! :KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::KoolAid::Kool Aid::KoolAid::KoolAid:

RedTeamGo!
10-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Saw St. Vincent over the weekend.

I thought Bill Murray did a very solid job with his character. If it wasn't for him that movie would have been a stinker, though.

LoganBuck
10-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Marvel has tapped Benedict Cumberbatch to play Dr Strange.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-movie-cast-862815/

Razor Shines
10-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Watched "Young Ones" the other night. I liked it a lot. Sci-Fi Western with Michael Shannon, I'm in. It's not great but I found it enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9_tU5PbGs

RedTeamGo!
10-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Watched "Young Ones" the other night. I liked it a lot. Sci-Fi Western with Michael Shannon, I'm in. It's not great but I found it enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9_tU5PbGs

Where did you watch this?

Razor Shines
10-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Where did you watch this?

Amazon. It's on Vudu and iTunes also.

Razor Shines
10-28-2014, 02:27 PM
And by "Amazon" I mean the jungle in basement of an exclusive sex club where there were no children.

dougdirt
10-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Amazon. It's on Vudu and iTunes also.

Awesome. I will be watching this at some point this week.

*BaseClogger*
10-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Michael Shannon is almost at automatic watch at this point, right?

MikeThierry
11-03-2014, 01:00 PM
I finally got around to watching "Edge of Tomorrow". I'm ashamed I didn't catch this in the theaters because it's fantastic. I would go so far to say it's the best scifi movie I've seen in years. The ending was Hollywoodish but the journey was amazing.

RedTeamGo!
11-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Great movie - definitely better in the theater. Just find a friend with a theater room, blue ray player, and surround sound. A couple of my cousins built theater rooms in their basement and its honestly just as good, if not better than the theater. I am definitely going to build one in the next house my wife and I are going to buy (just got a job in Cleveland and looking at houses!!).

MikeThierry
11-03-2014, 05:35 PM
I want to know where I can get one of those mech suits and Final Fantasy sword that Emily Blunt had in the movie :)

Razor Shines
11-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Purchased my tickets for tomorrow's opening of Interstellar in IMAX.

*BaseClogger*
11-04-2014, 06:54 PM
I want to know where I can get one of those mech suits and Final Fantasy sword that Emily Blunt had in the movie :)

I want to know where I can get one of those Emily Blunts...

Razor Shines
11-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Interstellar was an experience. It's fun that even after everything I've seen there's still something that can come along and make go "wow, that was cool".

On a side note, there was a kid in the theater. I saw him going in with his parents, he was probably 3. I have a 3 year old, I can't imagine the difficulty of bringing him to a movie like that, it was almost 3 hours. I never heard him but still that's an odd choice.

WildcatFan
11-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Finally saw Gone Girl, and I must say, that movie is not about what I thought it was about. Glad I was told to do zero research going into it.

19braves77
11-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Saw Nightcrawler with wife. She didn't feel comfortable with it at all and it kinda give you a sick feeling in your stomach. I get the message that its trying to send. If am DC Comics, Jake Gyllenhaal is my next Joker.

Interstellar on Wednesday during the day so I don't have all the distractions.

Razor Shines
11-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Saw Nightcrawler with wife. She didn't feel comfortable with it at all and it kinda give you a sick feeling in your stomach. I get the message that its trying to send. If am DC Comics, Jake Gyllenhaal is my next Joker.

Something appropriate.

dougdirt
11-08-2014, 11:25 AM
That would make sense, he's already been inside the Joker.

And here I thought this was a family friendly message board. :laugh:

OldRightHander
11-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Interstellar was an experience. It's fun that even after everything I've seen there's still something that can come along and make go "wow, that was cool".

On a side note, there was a kid in the theater. I saw him going in with his parents, he was probably 3. I have a 3 year old, I can't imagine the difficulty of bringing him to a movie like that, it was almost 3 hours. I never heard him but still that's an odd choice.

I saw it today. Quite good. Makes you think a bit in some parts.

Stray
11-10-2014, 10:54 AM
I enjoyed Interstellar, but parts of it were too much for me. The idea of love transcending space and time was great, but they laid it on too thick for me. When it got into five dimensions, passing through a singularity and navigating through 3d and time it got kinda crazy in a way that I definitely want to see it again...although I'm not sure I'll ever understand how he was able to explain the science of black holes in the way that he did, with a watch. But yeah, I still loved it...I wish more directors with the big resources were as ambitious as Nolan, Hollywood could use more of it.

19braves77
11-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Lot to like about Interstellar. I just think it was odd that none of the main characters argued the thought of the astronauts relaying false data. Or how do you know that the numbers themselves were coming from the crew of NASA's "Lazarus missions?

Razor Shines
12-29-2014, 03:25 AM
We got out to the "artsy" theater here in Austin and saw 'Foxcatcher'. I loved it. Carrell, Ruffalo and Tatum were amazing. Even if you don't care about the story their performances make it worth seeing.

cumberlandreds
12-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Me and the wife went to see Big Eyes this past weekend. Really good movie. I didn't know if I would like this or not but it was a fascinating and true story. Amy Admas and Christopher Waltz were both really good.

BuckeyeRed27
12-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I've watched several movies recently since I've had a bit more time off.

My favorite was "Birdman". The story itself isn't that good, but the way it is shot is just so cool. There are 10-20 minute sequences with no cuts and continuous motion, which is pretty cool to watch.

"American Sniper" was a bit of a let down for me. It is acted well, but I thought the movie was a mess because they couldn't decide what they wanted it to be. There is this sniper war story, and this competing sniper story and the home story and the PTSD story and then they sort of gloss over his death.

"Dear White People" was really dumb, wouldn't recommend at all.

"The Imitation Game" was also a bit of a let down. It is more of a biopic than a movie and honestly is just boring.

RedTeamGo!
12-30-2014, 03:29 PM
"American Sniper" was a bit of a let down for me. It is acted well, but I thought the movie was a mess because they couldn't decide what they wanted it to be. There is this sniper war story, and this competing sniper story and the home story and the PTSD story and then they sort of gloss over his death.

I have not seen it, but that is pretty strange to gloss over his death, especially with part of the story being about PTSD. Wasn't he killed by a soldier on a shooting range he was trying to help through PTSD?

Although, I suppose the movie is based on the book written by Kyle, and he was not around to write about his death.

Either way, it is hard to get excited for a movie directed by a 117 year old Clint Eastwood.

BuckeyeRed27
12-30-2014, 03:32 PM
I have not seen it, but that is pretty strange to gloss over his death, especially with part of the story being about PTSD. Wasn't he killed by a soldier on a shooting range he was trying to help through PTSD?

Although, I suppose the movie is based on the book written by Kyle, and he was not around to write about his death.

Either way, it is hard to get excited for a movie directed by a 117 year old Clint Eastwood.

It is basically where the movie stops. He goes outside to drive with the solider to the range and then it says what happened to him and shows footage from his actual funeral while the credits role. That part is very emotional, but that is part of the problem, is that was the most emotional part, but wasn't in the movie.

Razor Shines
12-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah, old people are just the oldest.

dougdirt
12-30-2014, 10:55 PM
We got out to the "artsy" theater here in Austin and saw 'Foxcatcher'. I loved it. Carrell, Ruffalo and Tatum were amazing. Even if you don't care about the story their performances make it worth seeing.

I saw that a few weeks ago. Knowing the background of the story made it painful to watch for me. Knowing what was going to happen at the end, it just made everything super weird. Great acting, but man, I just found myself feeling uncomfortable watching it knowing that it really happened.

dougdirt
12-30-2014, 10:57 PM
FREAKING SPOILER ALERT!

Come on man.

Razor Shines
12-30-2014, 11:03 PM
FREAKING SPOILER ALERT!

Come on man.

I thought it was a major news story that he died.

*BaseClogger*
12-31-2014, 03:42 AM
If 2013 was the year I wrote off superhero movies, then 2014 will go down as the year I was done with biopics. They're boring, usually one-sided and lacking any sort of perspective, and worst of all they're unoriginal stories dressed up as awards bait. Ugh, it seems like every acting performance drawing considerable praise has to be from one... /rant

*BaseClogger*
12-31-2014, 03:44 AM
Yeah, old people are just the oldest.

Clint is the man who gave us Trouble with the Curve, after all...

RedTeamGo!
12-31-2014, 08:40 AM
FREAKING SPOILER ALERT!

Come on man.

Damned CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and every newspaper in the country for spoiling movies about American war heroes. KAAAHHHHNNNNNN.

Razor Shines
12-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Clint is the man who gave us Trouble with the Curve, after all...

Now, you can laugh at it but that was an important movie. Peyronie's disease is a real thing and something that many men and their significant other's have to take a serious look at.

I could be wrong about the subject of that movie, I didn't see that garbage.

SteelSD
12-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Well, I hadn't heard the story and knew that the movie was based on real events. Had planned to go see it with family, but not after having both the ending spoiled as well as the entire final scene of the film.

BuckeyeRed27
12-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Well, I hadn't heard the story and knew that the movie was based on real events. Had planned to go see it with family, but not after having both the ending spoiled as well as the entire final scene of the film.

If you were planning on seeing the movie nothing I talked about is going to ruin it for you. Like I said, it is sort of a throw away that had it been focused on could have and should have been a major part of the movie, but it isn't.

I do apologize if you feel like that was a spoiler, but like others have said this was a major news story and his death has been covered pretty extensively in the lead up and press for this movie.

Razor Shines
12-31-2014, 01:58 PM

I mean Cooper and Eastwood talked about it in interviews, I figure if the lead actor and director are giving it away it's not a spoiler. I'm still going to go see it, even if *Baseclogger* writes me off as well for enjoying it and several other biopics this year.

dougdirt
12-31-2014, 06:42 PM

I didn't even know it was a true story until this post.

Razor Shines
12-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I didn't even know it was a true story until this post.

Oh. Well this is also part of the book that didn't make the movie.

dabvu2498
12-31-2014, 09:34 PM
I HAAAAAAAATE to defend Ventura, but he did sue before Kyle died.

Razor Shines
12-31-2014, 09:49 PM
I HAAAAAAAATE to defend Ventura, but he did sue before Kyle died.

I know. I didn't create the meme. There was a lot he could have done to make himself not look so bad.

Razor Shines
12-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Holy crap. This thing with Mark Schultz (played by Channing Tatum in Foxcatcher) and Bennett Miller has really taken an odd turn. Before I went and saw the movie I had read how much Schultz liked the movie, said nothing but good things about it. Now he's pissed.

http://uproxx.com/webculture/2014/12/foxcatcher-wrestler-really-really-hates-director-bennett-miller/

YOU CROSSED THE LINE MILLER. WE'RE DONE. YOU'RE CAREER IS OVER. YOU THINK I CAN'T DO IT. WATCH ME.

— Mark Schultz (@MarkSchultzy) December 31, 2014

Everything I've ever said positive about the movie I take back. I hate it. i hate it. i hate it. I hate it. i hate it. i hate it. I hate it

I HATE BENNETT MILLER.

I would really like to know how he thinks he's going to end Bennett Miller's career when he can't even get your/you're right. Very strange.

Razor Shines
12-31-2014, 11:03 PM
Here's an interview Shultz gave back in November.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201411/foxcatcher-mark-schultz-john-du-pont-secrets-movie-tatum-ruffalo

TPG: Are you happy with how it portrays your story?

SCHULTZ: I've seen the movie three times and I've cried every time. You can't fit my entire life, even a section of my life, into two hours. You have to compress time. But in my opinion it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

SteelSD
01-01-2015, 04:29 PM
If you were planning on seeing the movie nothing I talked about is going to ruin it for you. Like I said, it is sort of a throw away that had it been focused on could have and should have been a major part of the movie, but it isn't.

I do apologize if you feel like that was a spoiler, but like others have said this was a major news story and his death has been covered pretty extensively in the lead up and press for this movie.

Or how about next time you get the urge to talk about a movie, you don't post any spoilers? That would be keen. Thank you.

RedTeamGo!
01-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Or how about next time you get the urge to talk about a movie, you don't post any spoilers? That would be keen. Thank you.

It wasnt a spoiler. His death was national news.

Larry Schuler
01-01-2015, 06:04 PM
It's not a spoiler either if the story is just made up.

SteelSD
01-01-2015, 10:17 PM
It wasnt a spoiler. His death was national news.

Posting the end to a movie is a spoiler, regardless of what you want to call it. Seriously, I'm not sure why you'd even be arguing this.

Larry Schuler
01-01-2015, 10:23 PM
It's also not a spoiler if he's already seen it.

RedsBaron
01-02-2015, 08:00 AM
I know. I didn't create the meme. There was a lot he could have done to make himself not look so bad.

True enough but then Ventura was just being himself.

RedTeamGo!
01-02-2015, 09:57 AM
spoiler alert:

The ship sinks at the end of Titanic

BuckeyeRed27
01-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Posting the end to a movie is a spoiler, regardless of what you want to call it. Seriously, I'm not sure why you'd even be arguing this.

Just out of curiosity what exactly are we supposed to post in the Movie Thread, great rule maker of Redszone?

I already posted my thoughts on this and once again discussing a major national news story isn't a spoiler even if it happens to now be a movie.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2015, 12:04 PM
I was talking about Foxcatcher with some folks who hadn't seen it and supposedly "spoiled" the ending of that movie too. I'm even a person who avoids trailers and plot synopsis before seeing a film, but seriously?

Razor Shines
01-02-2015, 12:07 PM
I was talking about Foxcatcher with some folks who hadn't seen it and supposedly "spoiled" the ending of that movie too. I'm even a person who avoids trailers and plot synopsis before seeing a film, but seriously?

You gave away that they caught the fox?

Larry Schuler
01-02-2015, 05:06 PM
SteelSD doesn't get that we've seen these news stories and seen the movies. We already know how they end, so it isn't a spoiler for us to talk about. You can still enjoy these movies if you know how the story ends and the exact way that the dramatized version of that story handles and portrays the ending. It's like, are we supposed to not talk about the climax or resolution to a movie?

BuckeyeRed27
01-02-2015, 05:20 PM
SteelSD doesn't get that we've seen these news stories and seen the movies. We already know how they end, so it isn't a spoiler for us to talk about. You can still enjoy these movies if you know how the story ends and the exact way that the dramatized version of that story handles and portrays the ending. It's like, are we supposed to not talk about the climax or resolution to a movie?

So if this was a year ago and we were talking about "Lincoln", would it have been a spoiler to discuss the ending of that movie? And once again if you don't want to talk about the movies than don't read the movie thread. I do the same thing in the TV thread if I'm behind on more popular shows that I think are going to be discussed.

Razor Shines
01-02-2015, 05:33 PM

Did you think we didn't pick up on it the first two times? Give us one more, slightly more obvious and we'll get your point.

Talking about the fact that Chris Kyle is dead does not at all seem like a spoiler, IMO. Buckeye's post about the credits running over actual footage of his funeral was information I didn't previously have but for this type of movie probably won't change my viewing experience. Maybe he shouldn't have posted that, Steel probably has a small point there but again for this type of movie I don't see how it goes from "looking forward to seeing it with family" to "not seeing it at all." Maybe I don't know what the H I'm talking about though.

dabvu2498
01-02-2015, 05:43 PM

Don't talk to them about World War II either. They may not have seen The Imitation Game yet. :)

Larry Schuler
01-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Did you think we didn't pick up on it the first two times? Give us one more, slightly more obvious and we'll get your point.

Talking about the fact that Chris Kyle is dead does not at all seem like a spoiler, IMO. Buckeye's post about the credits running over actual footage of his funeral was information I didn't previously have but for this type of movie probably won't change my viewing experience. Maybe he shouldn't have posted that, Steel probably has a small point there but again for this type of movie I don't see how it goes from "looking forward to seeing it with family" to "not seeing it at all." Maybe I don't know what the H I'm talking about though.

There are people who don't mind knowing how a movie handles the conclusion of a story, even if its a true story, and people who do. The whole spoiler thing is supposed to be a courtesy to people who do mind.

Also, bio pics are dramatizations and part of why someone might be interested in seeing Lincoln's life on screen is the question, "HOW are the filmmakers and actors going to portray the familiar events?" The filmmaking technique of switching from dramatization to real life footage is meant to add an extra, surprise emotional punch to the conclusion of the story Part of why it works is because it abruptly reminds you, at an emotional moment, with documentary images, that this story was real. It's reasonable that someone would want to experience that as the filmmaker intended, in the theatre, while he or she is wrapped up and invested in the story and characters, without knowing it's going to happen.

Anyway, there shouldn't be this many words dedicated to explaining why discussing the end of ANY movie is a bit impolite. We all know that, 99% of the time, the good guy or girl wins. We go to the movies or read books to find out HOW he or she will win and people discussing key events out of context, even if they echo a real life story, becomes frustrating the more into the experience of movies and books you are. If none of this resonates with you or moves the needle for you, just try to understand that you may be OK with knowing the end of a movie but some people aren't.

Larry Schuler
01-02-2015, 07:24 PM
So if this was a year ago and we were talking about "Lincoln", would it have been a spoiler to discuss the ending of that movie? And once again if you don't want to talk about the movies than don't read the movie thread. I do the same thing in the TV thread if I'm behind on more popular shows that I think are going to be discussed.

I haven't seen Lincoln. I know, in real life, he was shot in a theatre, however, I don't know if it ends before, during or after Lincoln being shot. If it portrays the scene from the POV of the killer or Lincoln. If it shows an aspect of the event that isn't discussed in history books. I don't know if there is a soaring dramatic score during the shooting to make it an epic, sad tragedy or a score-less, silent scene that plays up the eerie smallness of how even a great life can be wiped away from existence in a blink of en eye. Even if it is the most straight forward portrayal of Lincoln's death, I want to find out that it is a straight forward portrayal when I'm in the theatre, watching the movie, in the context of everything that the movie has built up to that point. I don't want to read the tone and technique of how the scene is presented, without a spoiler tag, as an off-hand comment in someone's post about the movie in a general movie thread.

BuckeyeRed27
01-02-2015, 07:53 PM
There are people who don't mind knowing how a movie handles the conclusion of a story, even if its a true story, and people who do. The whole spoiler thing is supposed to be a courtesy to people who do mind.

Also, bio pics are dramatizations and part of why someone might be interested in seeing Lincoln's life on screen is the question, "HOW are the filmmakers and actors going to portray the familiar events?" The filmmaking technique of switching from dramatization to real life footage is meant to add an extra, surprise emotional punch to the conclusion of the story Part of why it works is because it abruptly reminds you, at an emotional moment, with documentary images, that this story was real. It's reasonable that someone would want to experience that as the filmmaker intended, in the theatre, while he or she is wrapped up and invested in the story and characters, without knowing it's going to happen.

Anyway, there shouldn't be this many words dedicated to explaining why discussing the end of ANY movie is a bit impolite. We all know that, 99% of the time, the good guy or girl wins. We go to the movies or read books to find out HOW he or she will win and people discussing key events out of context, even if they echo a real life story, becomes frustrating the more into the experience of movies and books you are. If none of this resonates with you or moves the needle for you, just try to understand that you may be OK with knowing the end of a movie but some people aren't.

I don't disagree with anything you just said. I still stand by my post and the way it was presented because I think it is a real critque of that movie that may provide context for someone deciding to see it or not. I also stand by, if you are someone that is trying to completely avoid spoilers of a movie than this is not your thread. Perhaps there should be some more ground rules for this thread or types of threads if the masses disagree, but looking over quickly there are far worse "spoilers" than what I posted about other movies presented.

Larry Schuler
01-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Your post may be unfairly singled out as the official example of a spoiler. To be honest, if I have no plans of seeing a movie I can easily skim past a post with spoilers and forget it as soon as it takes me to read it. I only chimed in because it seemed like SteelSD was interested in the movie, expressed his disappointment, and then people were busting his chops for being so serious about it.

I think a good general rule is that if the movie is still in theaters, just say:

SPOILERS

Then your spoiler.

I think a Netflix movie or older movie is fair game for discussing twists or endings though. You are right that there has to be some discussion allowed in a movie thread.

Razor Shines
01-02-2015, 08:12 PM

A bit impolite is around where I landed, I believe.

but looking over quickly there are far worse "spoilers" than what I posted about other movies presented.

And maybe this is why. There have been some blatant spoilers that went by without any mention.

SteelSD
01-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Just out of curiosity what exactly are we supposed to post in the Movie Thread, great rule maker of Redszone?

I already posted my thoughts on this and once again discussing a major national news story isn't a spoiler even if it happens to now be a movie.

Here's what doug posted about Foxcatcher:

I saw that a few weeks ago. Knowing the background of the story made it painful to watch for me. Knowing what was going to happen at the end, it just made everything super weird. Great acting, but man, I just found myself feeling uncomfortable watching it knowing that it really happened.

Now, that's provocative without revealing any plot twists or, for goodness sakes, the ENDING. Had you posted something akin to "Knowing how the story ends made the ending sort of anti-climactic for me, but it was cool being able to see real footage of the aftermath as the credits rolled.", that would have actually enhanced my desire to see it. Similarly, had you posted what you did but warned that a spoiler was coming, I wouldn't be posting right now.

Dude, you posted the ending of a movie just released in theaters. As Larry stated, I couldn't care less if the ending of some film is discussed if folks have had ample time to see it (like after the DVD release). But it's a story not everyone has heard, despite your assumption that everyone should have heard about it. You want to draw comparisons to the TV thread? Well I can guarantee, having read all of the books that Game of Thrones is based on, that quite a few people would be pretty grumpy with me if I popped in there and posted exactly what will happen next season and then attempt to justify it because the books have been available for them to read for quite some time. I'm not talking about "rules". I'm talking about etiquette.

And to be clear, I'm really not that grumpy about no longer having any interest in seeing the movie in a theater, but I'm a bit flabbergasted that I'd have to explain why it's not terribly courteous to post the end of new-release movies.

marcshoe
01-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Bruce Willis is a ghost.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony Perkins is his mother.

dougdirt
01-03-2015, 08:20 AM

You don't think there's a difference between Lincoln and a sniper than 99% of America couldn't name if you showed them a picture of him having movies made about him? There is a huge, huge difference. Everyone in America knows about what happened to Lincoln by the end of elementary school.

There's a difference between talking about a movie and giving away huge plot points and endings in a movie that literally just came out. Yes, talking about Lincoln dying in the end is probably ok. Nearly everyone alive in this country knows about that. Very few movies, even based on a true story fall into that kind of category though.

Razor Shines
01-03-2015, 10:53 AM
You don't think there's a difference between Lincoln and a sniper than 99% of America couldn't name if you showed them a picture of him having movies made about him? There is a huge, huge difference. Everyone in America knows about what happened to Lincoln by the end of elementary school.

There's a difference between talking about a movie and giving away huge plot points and endings in a movie that literally just came out. Yes, talking about Lincoln dying in the end is probably ok. Nearly everyone alive in this country knows about that. Very few movies, even based on a true story fall into that kind of category though.

The only thing in this post I'd quibble with is that 99% number. He wrote a best selling autobiography. He was a fairly famous. He gave interviews and not just to news organizations he was on Opie and Anthony and Conan O'Brien. His death was a big deal. No, he's not Lincoln but he was well known.

dougdirt
01-03-2015, 06:31 PM
The only thing in this post I'd quibble with is that 99% number. He wrote a best selling autobiography. He was a fairly famous. He gave interviews and not just to news organizations he was on Opie and Anthony and Conan O'Brien. His death was a big deal. No, he's not Lincoln but he was well known.

His death was a big deal for the news cycle. I still couldn't tell you his name and I've seen the commercials for the movie 50 times.

Razor Shines
01-03-2015, 08:46 PM
His death was a big deal for the news cycle. I still couldn't tell you his name and I've seen the commercials for the movie 50 times.

Yeah, I understand not everyone knew him, I'm not saying that. But he was famous, again his book was popular before he died. The dust up with Jesse Ventura was kind of a big deal and then certainly his death put him in the national spot light.

dabvu2498
01-03-2015, 09:01 PM
This is Bradley Cooper, a month an a half before the movie came out...

Cooper felt like he was on a mission to complete the vow for the sake of Kyle, his family and all veterans.

"I had to do right by him and his family, there was really no choice," says Cooper. "You're sitting across the dining-room table talking to this person's father and mother. And his children and wife are there. And he's passed away. Knowing that they are putting all of their stories in your hands and the responsibly of that, it's actually unique."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/10/01/american-sniper-bradley-cooper/16453043/

Damn you, star of movie, for spoiling movie!!!

Larry Schuler
01-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Did he die in battle? Of cancer? In a boating accident? Bradley Cooper is terrible at spoiling movies.

Razor Shines
01-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Did he die in battle? Of cancer? In a boating accident? Bradley Cooper is terrible at spoiling movies.

Yes. I'll stick with discussing that he died is not a spoiler while discussing how the movie handles it is a bit impolite.

dabvu2498
01-03-2015, 09:17 PM

Now see, if Cooper hadn't given that interview, the author of the USA Today article wouldn't have felt compelled to include this in his story:

Soon after that phone call, Kyle and a companion were shot and killed on Feb. 2, 2013, at a shooting range in Texas. A troubled Marine veteran is now on trial for his murder.

Damn you, USA Today!!!

SteelSD
01-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Now see, if Cooper hadn't given that interview, the author of the USA Today article wouldn't have felt compelled to include this in his story:

Damn you, USA Today!!!

Ok. I'll stop into the TV thread once the new season of Game of Thrones starts just to tell everyone what happens to each character. I mean, after all, the books have been in print for some time and there's a lot of conversation about them on the internet so we should assume that everyone should just know the story through the end of book five, right? You'd support that, correct?

dabvu2498
01-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Ok. I'll stop into the TV thread once the new season of Game of Thrones starts just to tell everyone what happens to each character. I mean, after all, the books have been in print for some time and there's a lot of conversation about them on the internet so we should assume that everyone should just know the story through the end of book five, right? You'd support that, correct?

Two things:

First, I'm the wrong person to talk to on this because I intentionally spoil movies and TV shows for myself all the time. For example, I never read the Hunger Games books, but read the wiki synopses of all three to see if I thought it would be worth 8 hours of my time to see them all. I watch Downton Abbey, and since it runs in the UK a season ahead of it running in the US, I intentionally know what happens, partly just out of curiosity and partly because if it totally jumps the shark, I won't even get started on it. And I've never watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, so that wouldn't do anything for me anyway. If you want to avoid spoilers altogether and judge a film on it's own merits, a thread like this is probably the wrong place to be.

Second, the characters in Game of Thrones are fictional. Chris Kyle was not.

SteelSD
01-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Second, the characters in Game of Thrones are fictional. Chris Kyle was not.

So what? Your position appears to be that if the information is readily available to the public, it's quite ok to openly talk about it without reservation. What's the difference if it's a fictional story or based on reality?

If you want to avoid spoilers altogether and judge a film on it's own merits, a thread like this is probably the wrong place to be.

I pop into the thread to because it contains some good non-spoiler information about movies I might want to get a look at. I really don't think that expecting folks to be courteous enough to not spoil the ending of new-release films is too much to ask.

dabvu2498
01-03-2015, 11:22 PM
So what? Your position appears to be that if the information is readily available to the public, it's quite ok to openly talk about it without reservation. What's the difference if it's a fictional story or based on reality?

Same difference that allowed Cooper to talk about what happened to his "character" in promo interviews... Kyle wasn't actually a "character." It wasn't just the end of a movie. It was the end of a man's life.

As far as "readily available" goes, I'd say there's a pretty large difference between the front page of cnn.com or the NYT and the places where you'd have to go to find spoilers on Game of Thrones, etc.

Razor Shines
01-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Just finished Boyhood. Spoiler alert, it's really long. Like, I feel like I accomplished something by getting through it one night.

Obviously it was very good, really an amazing accomplishment.

dougdirt
01-03-2015, 11:29 PM
As far as "readily available" goes, I'd say there's a pretty large difference between the front page of cnn.com or the NYT and the places where you'd have to go to find spoilers on Game of Thrones, etc.

Is the news on the front page of CNN.com right now? If I asked you about a story that was on the front page of CNN.com 2 years ago you would know it, right?

dabvu2498
01-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Is the news on the front page of CNN.com right now? If I asked you about a story that was on the front page of CNN.com 2 years ago you would know it, right?

In the run-up to and since the release of the movie, Chris Kyle's widow has given numerous interviews to several news outlets.

Any article about the movie describes Kyle in the past tense.

His death may not be front page news right now, but it's not like the film production company or the media could (or should) keep his passing a secret.

dougdirt
01-03-2015, 11:42 PM
In the run-up to and since the release of the movie, Chris Kyle's widow has given numerous interviews to several news outlets.

Any article about the movie describes Kyle in the past tense.

His death may not be front page news right now, but it's not like the film production company or the media could (or should) keep his passing a secret.

Somehow I had no clue who this guy was or that this movie was based on a true story. I had interest in seeing it. I may still watch it when it comes out on Netflix or to rent through amazon/whoever.

01-03-2015, 11:57 PM
It's never a good idea to give away plot points in a movie, but with American Sniper, the fact that he dies is of little consequence to plot or enjoyment of the movie. I think whether you see the movie knowing he dies or not knowing he dies, you will enjoy the movie the same. The vast majority of people who will see it, likely will know beforehand that he dies.

dabvu2498
01-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Somehow I had no clue who this guy was or that this movie was based on a true story. I had interest in seeing it. I may still watch it when it comes out on Netflix or to rent through amazon/whoever.

The memoir was moderately controversial when it came out (that's more a discussion for the political forum), and the Jesse Ventura lawsuit got quite a bit of press. Then his death, and Ventura continuing the lawsuit against his estate. I'm not sure exactly why it stuck with me, because as you pointed out, I certainly wouldn't have remembered every news story in the past 3 years since the book came out, but this one did.

You guys might find this funny... My wife and I saw an ad for the movie yesterday... She says "I kinda want to see that, but I bet it's hard to watch." Thinking of this thread, I asked if she knew what happened to him. She had not and said she did not want to know, going into the movie, so of course, I didn't say. But if she'd heard me discussing it with someone else, it may have well "spoiled" it for her.

RedTeamGo!
01-04-2015, 12:01 AM

His death has nothing to do with the story. It is shown as an afterthought at the end. It's not the climax.

Larry Schuler
01-04-2015, 12:02 AM
Your wife sounds like my kind of movie goer. The less you know is almost always better, so long as you are open to being challenged or surprised by a movie.

Razor Shines
01-04-2015, 12:03 AM
The memoir was moderately controversial when it came out (that's more a discussion for the political forum), and the Jesse Ventura lawsuit got quite a bit of press. Then his death, and Ventura continuing the lawsuit against his estate. I'm not sure exactly why it stuck with me, because as you pointed out, I certainly wouldn't have remembered every news story in the past 3 years since the book came out, but this one did.

You guys might find this funny... My wife and I saw an ad for the movie yesterday... She says "I kinda want to see that, but I bet it's hard to watch." Thinking of this thread, I asked if she knew what happened to him. She had not and said she did not want to know, going into the movie, so of course, I didn't say. But if she'd heard me discussing it with someone else, it may have well "spoiled" it for her.

That's funny. Yesterday I mentioned this thread to my wife. She said "I think almost everyone knows he's dead already." Then I asked if she wanted to know how the death was handled in the movie and she screamed "No!"

Larry Schuler
01-04-2015, 12:04 AM
His death has nothing to do with the story. It is shown as an afterthought at the end. It's not the climax.

Not to revive the dead horse but, to some, knowing HOW his death is handled in the story, whether it's an epic death scene or a quiet memorial prologue, is a spoiler.

JayBruceFan
01-04-2015, 12:34 AM

There's more to life than Walk Rates and WAR

SteelSD
01-04-2015, 01:37 AM
Thinking of this thread, I asked if she knew what happened to him. She had not and said she did not want to know, going into the movie, so of course, I didn't say.

And I'll bet she appreciated the courtesy.

BuckeyeRed27
01-04-2015, 02:24 AM
Couple points here. My first post was not about the end of the movie, it was in reply to a comment about it.
And as much as the spoiler police want to believe it, his death is not a spoiler in this movie. It is not what the movie is about. That was my main point is that it probably should have been, but it wasn't. I figured that the movie thread would be a good place to discuss this with others that have seen the movie, apparently not.

And if anything if you really didn't know this was a true story, I would imagine that learning that fact and some information about the subject would make it more interesting not spoil it.

Larry Schuler
01-04-2015, 02:42 AM
Saying what DOESN'T happen in the movie can, in some cases, be as frustrating to people who are interested in watching a movie.

If I talk about how Josh Brolin's character dies at the end of No Country for Old Men three days after it's released in theatres and someone who hasn't seen it takes offense at the spoiler, I can't just say "Dude. They don't even show him die in the movie. It's all off screen. And, besides, trust me. Knowing he gets killed doesn't change whether you'll like the movie, because the movie isn't really about paying off the mounting tension between the main characters."

In fact, I'll go back to being an extremist about this. If you have to say "Dude..." and then give a tangential excuse why talking about specific plot points isn't a spoiler ("It's a true story!" "It was on CNN two years ago" "His death wasn't LITERALLY on screen..." "There's an NPR podcast where the director talks about that plot point..." "The trailer shows a 1 second frame from the final scene!") then you're working too hard. Just bite your tongue and say the following prayer:

Lord, I do not know what I do
But please give me the knowledge to understand that, although I don't care, this matters to other people
And give me the strength to find other ways of discussing a new movie without directly addressing what does or doesn't happen in the end
Or the middle
Or, in some cases, the beginning
And if someone still accuses me of spoilers
Give me the patience to acknowledge their feelings
Before I launch into a defensive retaliatory attack about how they're stifling my freedom of expression
And if the above is too complicated for me to understand
Strike me down
Now
Before I start my comments on the end of Selma
Amen.

JayBruceFan
01-04-2015, 03:18 AM
He dies!?!?!

Razor Shines
01-04-2015, 03:35 AM
He dies!?!?!

No, no I saw him in W. after that, he lived.

JayBruceFan
01-04-2015, 03:50 AM
As long as he is around to play Thanos I'm cool

dabvu2498
01-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Your wife sounds like my kind of movie goer. The less you know is almost always better, so long as you are open to being challenged or surprised by a movie.

And I'm the type who doesn't much care what some film critic or internet hack says about a movie because my own interpretation of what I see will be far more important to me than the opinions of others. If the acting and storylines are worth it, then I'll see most anything, even if I already know the outcome.

01-04-2015, 10:58 AM
If I talk about how Josh Brolin's character dies at the end of No Country for Old Men three days after it's released in theatres and someone who hasn't seen it takes offense at the spoiler, I can't just say "Dude. They don't even show him die in the movie. It's all off screen. And, besides, trust me. Knowing he gets killed doesn't change whether you'll like the movie, because the movie isn't really about paying off the mounting tension between the main characters."

If you knew that the Brolin character died in the middle of "No Country" it would absolutely ruin the movie. Sorry, not a good analogy.

RedTeamGo!
01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Back to movies.

I saw Foxcatcher Friday afternoon.

Really good performances by Tatum and Carrell. Carell is getting Oscar buzz, not sure if that is warranted, but good performance.

I was disappointed when I learned afterword that the entire movie is basically fiction other than the ending.

Some scenes are really cringe worthy, but the acting made them believable cringe worthy.

7/10

Razor Shines
01-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Back to movies.

I saw Foxcatcher Friday afternoon.

Really good performances by Tatum and Carrell. Carell is getting Oscar buzz, not sure if that is warranted, but good performance.

I was disappointed when I learned afterword that the entire movie is basically fiction other than the ending.

Some scenes are really cringe worthy, but the acting made them believable cringe worthy.

7/10

Yeah, I was confused by that as well. I read some interviews with Mark Schutlz before I saw the movie and he was saying how great it was, "best movie" he ever saw. He then read some reviews that stated the movie suggested a sexual relationship between him and du Pont and Schultz started claiming the entire movie was a big lie. When called on it on twitter Schultz claims he was coached on what to say in interviews and is under contract to support the movie until after the Oscars.

dougdirt
01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
There's more to life than Walk Rates and WAR

Huh?

Razor Shines
01-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Looks like Thursday is gonna be Inherent Vice day. I'm pretty excited.

Razor Shines
01-10-2015, 12:31 AM
Oh boy. So I did see Inherent Vice yesterday. I have thought about what I would tell people about it and I still don't know other than that I liked it. It's certainly not for everyone. When we left my wife said "that could have been an hour shorter." Joaquin Phoenix was perfect for that character.

19braves77
01-10-2015, 02:33 AM
This was a good science fiction movie.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTAzODc3NjU1NzNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDk5NTQ4NTMx._ V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

My advice is not to look for the miss direction, enjoy the what if questions, then re-watch..

LoganBuck
01-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Man if Kanye brought some attention to this Lincoln fellow he would blow up.

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Oh boy. So I did see Inherent Vice yesterday. I have thought about what I would tell people about it and I still don't know other than that I liked it. It's certainly not for everyone. When we left my wife said "that could have been an hour shorter." Joaquin Phoenix was perfect for that character.

I've been telling people it's a funnier/more difficult to follow/30 minutes too long The Big Lebowski if it were shot by PTA...

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2015, 11:02 PM
If 2013 was the year I wrote off superhero movies, then 2014 will go down as the year I was done with biopics. They're boring, usually one-sided and lacking any sort of perspective, and worst of all they're unoriginal stories dressed up as awards bait. Ugh, it seems like every acting performance drawing considerable praise has to be from one... /rant

HOT TAKE ALERT:

Oscar nominations are scheduled to be announced tomorrow, and if it’s not too late, I’d like to take this opportunity to beg the Academy, on behalf of moviegoers everywhere, not to nominate Eddie Redmayne for best actor.

Redmayne took home a Golden Globe on Sunday night, winning best actor in a drama motion picture for his portrayal of a beatific quip machine called Stephen Hawking in Theory of Everything. Which has many observers now calling him a frontrunner, or even a favorite for the Oscar race. No. Oh please no.

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2015/01/dear-academy-please-do-not-give-eddie-redmayne-an-oscar-nomination/

Razor Shines
01-14-2015, 11:06 PM
I've been telling people it's a funnier/more difficult to follow/30 minutes too long The Big Lebowski if it were shot by PTA...

Yeah, that's pretty good. Even though it is a little long, I kinda can't wait for the bluray because I'll watch it several times.

On Marc Maron's podcast PTA said that he realized it was going to be compared to The Big Lebowski and a couple other movies but he basically just had to push through as though those movies didn't exist.

*BaseClogger*
01-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Yeah, that's pretty good. Even though it is a little long, I kinda can't wait for the bluray because I'll watch it several times.

On Marc Maron's podcast PTA said that he realized it was going to be compared to The Big Lebowski and a couple other movies but he basically just had to push through as though those movies didn't exist.

I still need to catch that episode--my flight to Vegas this afternoon should be perfect! :D

Razor Shines
01-15-2015, 11:49 AM
HOT TAKE ALERT:

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2015/01/dear-academy-please-do-not-give-eddie-redmayne-an-oscar-nomination/

Michael Keaton was the only actor nominated for best actor who wasn't in a biopic.

*BaseClogger*
01-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Michael Keaton was the only actor nominated for best actor who wasn't in a biopic.

Gyllenhaal was robbed. I would have loved to see Eisenberg get nominated for The Double, but I know I'm in an insignificant minority there...

RedEye
01-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Just saw Boyhood last night and thought it was really terrific. Expected to be underwhelmed by gimmickry, but ended up being profoundly moved by the film's whimsical light touch. I have friends who dislike it immensely, but none of them have kids. There is likely some connection there.

RedsBaron
01-24-2015, 05:26 PM
I saw American Sniper this afternoon.
The theater was packed. When the credits began to roll, only a couple of people got up; the rest sat quietly in their seats. When people finally walked out of the theater, it was as quiet as a funeral.
It is a moving movie, pro American soldier and anti-war at the same time. It is an amazing piece of work by an 84 year old Clint Eastwood.

Razor Shines
01-24-2015, 08:50 PM
The theater was packed. When the credits began to roll, only a couple of people got up; the rest sat quietly in their seats. When people finally walked out of the theater, it was as quiet as a funeral.
It is a moving movie, pro American soldier and anti-war at the same time. It is an amazing piece of work by an 84 year old Clint Eastwood.

That was pretty much the same experience I had today. I don't see how it's gotten this wrap as being "rah-rah war!" There wasn't a lot to feel good about.

RedsBaron
01-25-2015, 07:20 AM
That was pretty much the same experience I had today. I don't see how it's gotten this wrap as being "rah-rah war!" There wasn't a lot to feel good about.
I agree. There were a lot of pro-war movies made during World War II, with John Wayne heroics that might fire up the audience to want to enlist-that sure wasn't the reaction I got from watching American Sniper. There is also a genre of war movies that for all of the tension and battle seem to make war to be almost a lark, stuff like Force Ten From Navarone and Clint Eastwood's costarring role in Where Eagles Dare. American Sniper does not depict war as in any way as being a lark.
I am aware of some of the controversy regarding Chris Kyle. I do not have that much in common with him and I sure do not have his courage or his skills with a rifle. I would not want to be him and I am glad I do not have some of his personality traits.
Watching the movie, and its depiction of what Kyle and his colleagues went through, the closing line from another movie, one made before I was born, ran through my mind. In 1954's The Bridges at To-ko Ri, Fredric March's character reflects on the airmen he commands and says: "Where do we get such men?"

RedTeamGo!
01-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Watched Odd Thomas on Netflix last night. It was somewhat interesting and entertaining. Cgi was a bit sci-fi channel, but didn't hurt the movie too much. Was shocked to see the movie only made $600k on a $27 mil budget.

I would give it a 5.5/10. Worthwhile Netflix watch if you like movies about the paranormal.

Razor Shines
01-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Watched Odd Thomas on Netflix last night. It was somewhat interesting and entertaining. Cgi was a bit sci-fi channel, but didn't hurt the movie too much. Was shocked to see the movie only made $600k on a $27 mil budget.

I would give it a 5.5/10. Worthwhile Netflix watch if you like movies about the paranormal.

I've thought about watching that one. I remember reading the book, for some reason in my late teens/early 20s I read several Dean Koontz books, but I can't remember if I liked it or not.

dougdirt
01-28-2015, 07:10 PM

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It's worth the time for anyone looking for something to watch.

dubc47834
01-30-2015, 09:38 PM

I've been to see this movie twice, the 1st time I couldn't finish it. My time in Ramadi Iraq overlapped his 2nd and 3rd tours, so when they got to the scene where Marc Lee dies, I couldn't take it for reasons I care not to talk about. Then I had some Army buddies that wanted to go see it the other night so I went. To me this movie was perfect! I hear people talk about it's not 100% true, it's a movie of course it's not. When the movie was over it was as you stated, dead silent. People just filed out and didn't say much. GREAT MOVIE!!!

Razor Shines
01-30-2015, 11:39 PM
I highly recommend the movie "The One I Love" with Mark Duplas and Elizebeth Olson. It's streaming on Netflix and not to give anything away, I'll just say it's original.

Raisor
02-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Colin Firth is tremendous in Kingsman: The secret service.

It's a fun movie

*BaseClogger*
02-16-2015, 12:30 AM
Colin Firth is tremendous in Kingsman: The secret service.

It's a fun movie

I had a marvelous time. My jaw was dropped for the entirety of that gunfight inside the church. Mark Strong is a wonderfully typecast character actor.

That said, was the extremely thinly-written female character who became the new Lancelot another of Vaughn's homages to 1970s James Bond? She couldn't even have one line of dialogue with a little character development?

*BaseClogger*
02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
BASECLOGGER'S GREAT BIG MOVIE LIST OF 2014:

THE COMEDY:
The Lego Movie - 8/10
The Interview - 6/10
22 Jump Street - 6/10
Neighbors - 5/10

THE BLOCKBUSTER ACTION MOVIES RAWR:
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 8/10
Interstellar - 8/10
Fury - 7/10
Guardians of the Galaxy - 7/10
Lucy - 6/10
Edge of Tomorrow - 6/10
Godzilla - 5/10

THE AWFUL:
The Monuments Men - 2/10

THE INDIE/ARTSY FARTSY:
Boyhood - 9/10
The Double - 8/10
The One I Love - 7/10
The Grand Budapest Hotel - 7/10
Obvious Child - 6/10
The Skeleton Twins - 6/10
Enemy - 6/10
Frank - 5/10
A Most Violent Year - 5/10
The Immigrant - 5/10
Locke - 4/10

THE AWARDS BAIT:
The Imitation Game - 7/10
Big Eyes - 6/10
Foxcatcher - 6/10
American Sniper - 5/10

THE BASECLOGGER:
Birdman - 10/10
Gone Girl - 8/10
Nightcrawler - 8/10
Inherent Vice - 7/10
Chef - 7/10
The Drop - 7/10
Whiplash - 7/10
Blue Ruin - 6/10
John Wick - 6/10
Snowpiercer - 6/10

THE TOP PRIORITY STILL NEED TO SEE:
Selma
Life Itself
St. Vincent
Under the Skin
Joe
The Rover
A Most Wanted Man
Top Five

Quibbles? Anything I obviously missed?

Raisor
02-18-2015, 04:03 AM
Guardians a 7 and Edge of Tomorrow a 6 and no Captain America?

You're dead to me.

BuckeyeRed27
02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Generally agree.

I hated "Chef" and I liked "Whiplash" a little bit more than you.

Razor Shines
02-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Locke a 4/10!?!?! If I was friends with Boss your RZ account would be deleted by the end of the day.

Locke was one of my favorite movies of the year.

*BaseClogger*
02-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Locke a 4/10!?!?! If I was friends with Boss your RZ account would be deleted by the end of the day.

Locke was one of my favorite movies of the year.

Are you one of those people who said Buried was good too!?!?

Razor Shines
02-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Are you one of those people who said Buried was good too!?!?

It's been a while but I think I found Buried to be a little ridiculous, it was worth watching but not on the level of Locke.

Razor Shines
02-18-2015, 08:11 PM
BASECLOGGER'S GREAT BIG MOVIE LIST OF 2014:

THE BASECLOGGER:
Birdman - 10/10
Gone Girl - 8/10
Nightcrawler - 8/10
Inherent Vice - 7/10
Chef - 7/10
The Drop - 7/10
Whiplash - 7/10
Blue Ruin - 6/10
John Wick - 6/10
Snowpiercer - 6/10

Quibbles? Anything I obviously missed?

I'm pretty much with you on "The Baseclogger". I've seen all of those and the only things I would change is bumping Whiplash up to probably a 9 for me and Blue Ruin up to a 7, I liked Blue Ruin a lot.

RedTeamGo!
02-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Guardians a 7 and Edge of Tomorrow a 6 and no Captain America?

You're dead to me.

I thought guardians was entertaining, but I think a 7 is more than fair. Just because a lot of things are happening on screen doesn't make it a great movie.

*BaseClogger*
02-19-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty much with you on "The Baseclogger". I've seen all of those and the only things I would change is bumping Whiplash up to probably a 9 for me and Blue Ruin up to a 7, I liked Blue Ruin a lot.

Whiplash is a brilliant piece of filmmaking, and maybe I will come to appreciate it further with additional viewings, but my knock on it was that I just wasn't as breath-taken by it in the theater as the others I rated higher.

I guess you could get away with putting some of those movies into the indie/artsy fartsy category or the awards bait category, but I felt that group of films best represented my tastes. Those were the movies I went into with really high expectations, so in most cases a 6/10 just represents disappointment on my part, but I'd still much rather watch one of the movies from that category than, say, Edge of Tomorrow.... ;)

19braves77
02-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Wrong thread

WildcatFan
02-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Wrong thread

Not my tempo.

foxfire123
03-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Finally saw Kingsman tonight. Excellent, really excellent.

_Sir_Charles_
03-10-2015, 10:06 AM

I saw Birdman last night. It's like a two hour long hallucination... in the best way possible! :D

Good description of the Birdman. I was about a third of the way though it and suddenly realized...ummm...the camera hasn't cut away once has it? The entire flick is filmed in one take (not totally...but damned near). That was one of the most impressive pieces of cinematography I've ever seen. Good movie, excellent acting...but the direction...wowsers.

Raisor
04-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm watching a The Lego Movie for the first time.

This is amazing.

dougdirt
04-02-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm watching a The Lego Movie for the first time.

This is amazing.

I bought this the other day to watch with my nephew. We might have to bust it open tomorrow afternoon if he's not feeling a nap. I can't wait.

marcshoe
04-04-2015, 01:51 PM
The Lego movie is Awesome. Everything is Awesome.

marcshoe
04-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Has anyone seen The Babadook? On the whole, a pretty original concept, well-executed. It did occasionally give in to some horror movie cliches, but there were enough bits I'd never seen before to make up for it. There was a fair amount of subtext as well, something lacking in even the new breed of not-so-violent horror films. I like it that no real explanation for the book's sudden appearance was given (this isn't even a consideration). I do worry about the little boy, though; he's either a precociously good actor or one strange kid.

The ending was something new, I thought. Won't say more.

redsmetz
04-22-2015, 11:16 AM
When it's raining, I'll use the treadmill in the morning since I can't go out for my morning walk. When I do, I look for something to watch on my iPad while I walk (so I can use my headphones and not wake my wife earlier than she gets up). This morning I started watching a Netflix documentary titled The Battered Bastards of Baseball about the actor Bing Russell creating an independent Single A baseball team in Portland, Oregon that played in the otherwise affiliated Northwest League. I'm just about twenty minutes into it, but it looks interesting. The several seasons they played in that league, I think when I checked, it showed they had winning seasons each year.

Here's the trailer https://youtu.be/RA76b5Hhvxg - as I said, it's available on Netflix.

Chip R
04-22-2015, 03:28 PM
The several seasons they played in that league, I think when I checked, it showed they had winning seasons each year.

Here's the trailer https://youtu.be/RA76b5Hhvxg - as I said, it's available on Netflix.

It's a nice story but one of the reasons they won big was that they had older players playing kids just out of high school or college. Almost like on Seinfeld when Kramer got a black belt in a dojo with a bunch of kids in it.

Stray
04-24-2015, 11:19 PM
It's been a while since there's been a good Johnny Depp movie. This one looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3e3hGF2jc

cincinnati chili
04-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Those of you who like documentaries, here are a few recommendations from the last few years. Many of these are still streaming on Netflix

Great
Muscle Shoals
20 Feet from Stardom
Searching for Sugarman
A Band Called Death
Battered Bastards of Baseball
Survive and Advance (maybe my favorite 30 for 30)
Man on Wire (okay... this is 7 years old now, but see it anyway)
Beware of Mr. BAker

Enjoyable
How to Grow a Band (about the Punch Brothers)
Shut up and Play the Hits (about the last days of LCD Soundsystem)
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Pelotero
Pony Excess (30 for 30)
Mel Brooks: Make a Noise
56 Up
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
Whitey: USA v Whitey Bulger

improbus
04-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Finally saw Furious 7. I love those big dumb movies.

dougdirt
04-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Those of you who like documentaries, here are a few recommendations from the last few years. Many of these are still streaming on Netflix

Great
20 Feet from Stardom
Searching for Sugarman
A Band Called Death
Battered Bastards of Baseball

Enjoyable
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Pelotero

Loved all of these.

Razor Shines
04-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Tv thread post in the movie thread. I removed fingers for the error.

*BaseClogger*
04-30-2015, 06:17 PM
I hope I see a better movie than Ex Machina this year, but I'm not holding my breath...

Razor Shines
04-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I hope I see a better movie than Ex Machina this year, but I'm not holding my breath...

Ok......Walk me back there.....good but not as good as you hoped?

BuckeyeRed27
04-30-2015, 06:26 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/mae-whitman-replaced-by-maika-monroe-in-independence-day-2-2015-4

So this story has been making the rounds a bit the last couple days. Basically they are making a sequel to Independence Day and many of the actors from the original will be in it. The role of the President's daughter will be in the sequel as well and the child actress in the original is named Mae Whitman. She is now 27 and has gone on to have a successful acting career, however she isn't a traditional "hot" chick and because of that wasn't considered for the sequel.

Raisor
04-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Mae Whitman is awesome.

dougdirt
04-30-2015, 10:36 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/mae-whitman-replaced-by-maika-monroe-in-independence-day-2-2015-4

So this story has been making the rounds a bit the last couple days. Basically they are making a sequel to Independence Day and many of the actors from the original will be in it. The role of the President's daughter will be in the sequel as well and the child actress in the original is named Mae Whitman. She is now 27 and has gone on to have a successful acting career, however she isn't a traditional "hot" chick and because of that wasn't considered for the sequel.

That's unfortunate because I find her to be very attractive.

And she's hilarious.

marcshoe
04-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Try this again...

1. I had not seen this when I made the "him?" comment on the game thread when Veal came in last night.

2. Do the people making this movie not know that Mae Whitman is the voice of Tinkerbell? Tinkerbell!!!

Chip R
05-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Mae Whitman is awesome.

Her?

NebraskaRed
05-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Just watched No No: A Dockumentary on Netflix. It's about Dock Ellis. There's some great stuff about the Reds in there.

Larry Schuler
05-02-2015, 06:29 PM
I saw the Avengers. I suppose the backlash against these films are at an all-time high because I thought it was better than the reviews made it out to be. I enjoyed it more than the first Avengers and I thought it retained enough of the ideology/political conflict from Captain America 2 to make me anticipate the next CA and Avengers movies. The priority on the shared universe and telling a never-ending story works for me; other than What We Do in Shadows, the faux-vampire doc, and It Follows, the faux-horror horror movie, this one was my most fun in a theater this year.

Chip R
05-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Just watched No No: A Dockumentary on Netflix. It's about Dock Ellis. There's some great stuff about the Reds in there.

Recorded that today. Looking forward to it.

Raisor
05-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Avengers 2 Electric Bugaloo was fine, but it didn't knock my socks off.

Gainesville Red
05-02-2015, 07:44 PM

I had a good time. That's what I was hoping for. Also, I got a slushee. A big one. Mixed the cherry and coke flavors. Big day, eh?

KittyDuran
05-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Here @ the local drive-in (packed house - even have the sheriff here to keep the order) awaiting The Avengers. [emoji75]

Raisor
05-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Here @ the local drive-in (packed house - even have the sheriff here to keep the order) awaiting The Avengers. [emoji75]

I would bet the sheriff is there to ruin 17 year old boys' lives.

KittyDuran
05-02-2015, 08:01 PM
I would bet the sheriff is there to ruin 17 year old boys' lives.

He can start with the kid already down in the seats w/his girl in the car to my left! [emoji48]

Edit: they just popped up-that was quick-must have lost a contact. Lots of giggling.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/02/353eca16c8529d8e4983fcbea201cc93.jpg

Raisor
05-02-2015, 08:06 PM
He can start with the kid already down in the seats w/his girl in the car to my left! [emoji48]

Go knock on the window!

kpresidente
05-03-2015, 08:53 PM

Did you see it in IMAX 3D? I thought it was fantastic. A wild ride from beginning to end. Some cheesy plot turns is my only gripe, but you're not seeing it for that.

marcshoe
05-03-2015, 11:59 PM
How was the pacing? My biggest gripe with Marvel movies is that they sometimes try to go full-throttle all the way instead of giving viewers time to catch their breath. Iron Man III was, I think, a good example of this. The movie was paced so that characters identities and motivations never quite gelled.

Of course Avengers II is Joss Whedon, and he's a bit better at this.

cumberlandreds
05-04-2015, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out.

Raisor
05-04-2015, 08:52 AM
I watched it a second time last night and loved every minute of it.

Maybe I was in a bad mood Friday

_Sir_Charles_
05-04-2015, 10:28 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed The Avengers. I thought they did Vision perfectly (although they strayed a bit from the comics with his forehead jewel being an infinity gem). Very entertaining.

I liked that they gave Hawkeye more personality than previously. I also thought it was a nice touch to use Paul Bettany as Vision when he did the voice of JARVIS from the beginning...just makes sense.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for superhero flicks.

kpresidente
05-04-2015, 10:34 AM
How was the pacing? My biggest gripe with Marvel movies is that they sometimes try to go full-throttle all the way instead of giving viewers time to catch their breath. Iron Man III was, I think, a good example of this. The movie was paced so that characters identities and motivations never quite gelled.

Of course Avengers II is Joss Whedon, and he's a bit better at this.

It's pretty much all-out all the time. I had trouble driving home due to sensory overload! But I know what you mean, sometimes there's so much seemingly random action you disconnect, but that didn't happen with this one. Can't say why. Maybe because there's more characters, and they jump from storyline to storyline so you're not getting bogged down.

*BaseClogger*
05-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Ok......Walk me back there.....good but not as good as you hoped?

It's great! Beautifully shot and acted, totally unique, with a tense, unpredictable ending...

kpresidente
05-04-2015, 10:47 AM
It's great! Beautifully shot and acted, totally unique, with a tense, unpredictable ending...

Yep, normally with this AI theme they always do the same thing, associate "consciousness" with emotion, ie, if it feels, it's conscious. Ho, hum. This one did a little more digging into the question "what exactly IS consciousness?" Feelings can be programmed, too, you know.

"Man is something that must be overcome." That's what I left thinking about.

*BaseClogger*
05-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Yep, normally with this AI theme they always do the same thing, associate "consciousness" with emotion, ie, if it feels, it's conscious. Ho, hum. This one did a little more digging into the question "what exactly IS consciousness?" Feelings can be programmed, too, you know.

"Man is something that must be overcome." That's what I left thinking about.

I spent a lot of time discussing the flick after it ended. This was interesting and related to your comment (spoilers):

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/ex-machina/245760/ex-machina-had-a-freaky-alternate-ending

Raisor
05-04-2015, 03:36 PM
I wish Whedon would have used Amy Acker as (spoiler's) wife

cumberlandreds
05-05-2015, 08:33 AM

I watched this last night since the Reds were off. It was very good. Ellis was crazy which was caused by drug and alcohol. He was also very smart. In the end he did get halp and turned himself around. He apparently helped many others overcome their addictions. I remember listening to that game in which he hit the first three or four Reds to start a game. That was pretty wild as I recall. I had also forgotten that he pitched for that 76 Yankee team that got swept by the Reds. That was his last good season. I had even forgotten that he had died a few years ago. Also good to see all of those old Pirates and some others from that time period. Even though they were big rivals of the Reds I always kinda liked those Pirate teams.

ac084c
05-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Linda Cardelini ain't so bad.

I was disappointed there wasn't a second post-credits scene.

LoganBuck
05-10-2015, 08:12 AM

Amy Acker already plays Phil Coulson's ex girlfriend in the MCU.

BuckeyeRed27
05-10-2015, 12:41 PM

I saw this last night. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it. I get what he was going for, but I just couldn't get over the slow pacing.

Raisor
05-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Amy Acker already plays Phil Coulson's ex girlfriend in the MCU.

I forgot about that.

improbus
05-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Watching movies and trailers, I've come to the conclusion that Hollywood just hates concrete. Nearly every trailer seems to involve concrete exploding more and more spectacularly. DOWN WITH CONCRETE!!

Razor Shines
05-14-2015, 08:39 PM
I just saw that Mad Max: Fury Road is 99% fresh out of 151 reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes. Not that I base whether or not I will see a movie on Rotten Tomatoes, but I will say that previously I was moderately interested in seeing MMFR and probably would wait to rent it. Now I kinda want to go see it in the theater.

Larry Schuler
05-14-2015, 08:45 PM
I just saw that Mad Max: Fury Road is 99% fresh out of 151 reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes. Not that I base whether or not I will see a movie on Rotten Tomatoes, but I will say that previously I was moderately interested in seeing MMFR and probably would wait to rent it. Now I kinda want to go see it in the theater.

Not to get political but what you said PLUS the fact that there has been a tiny grassroots movement of angry dudes protesting the movie's portrayal of stronger women characters make me want to see this ASAP.

Razor Shines
05-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Not to get political but what you said PLUS the fact that there has been a tiny grassroots movement of angry dudes protesting the movie's portrayal of stronger women characters make me want to see this ASAP.

Good heavens, I know you're make stuff upper for funnies guy but I can't tell on this one and I really hope that's a joke.

Razor Shines
05-14-2015, 09:02 PM
And of course I mean I hope you're joking about the movie's portrayal of stronger women characters. I won't have that.

Razor Shines
05-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Lol.

Mad Max: Fury Road enrages Men's Rights Activists who claim they are being duped into watching 'feminist propaganda'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/mad-max-fury-road-enrages-mens-rights-activists-who-claim-they-are-being-duped-by-explosions-into-watching-feminist-propaganda-10249443.html

Razor Shines
05-14-2015, 10:47 PM
So strong woman characters notwithstanding my wife says she'd rather see this movie tomorrow. I'm gonna guess it has something to do with that Fassbender fellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfsTsdJfF8

BuckeyeRed27
05-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Mad Max was freaking awesome.

Will M
05-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Avengers 2 was very good. I gave it a 9/10. My 14 year old niece who likes girly movies gave it a 6 or 7.

I've enjoyed all the movies & TV shows in the "Marvel Cinematic Universe". Disney/Marvel has been on quite a roll.

Not to spoil anything but it seems like future movies may emphasize some newer characters over older ones (ie Iron Man) which is probably a good thing.

Chip R
05-20-2015, 04:58 PM
So strong woman characters notwithstanding my wife says she'd rather see this movie tomorrow. I'm gonna guess it has something to do with that Fassbender fellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfsTsdJfF8

She's probably seen Shame. :D

dougdirt
05-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Pitch Perfect 2

Good movie. Probably funnier than the first one, but the music wasn't nearly as good.

Hoping to see Mad Max next week.

RedTeamGo!
05-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Saw Mad Max in 3d last night. Man, it was so aggressive and original.

Have never seen anything like it. You can tell it is the exact vision of the writer/director. It's the movie he wanted to make and I respect that

_Sir_Charles_
05-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Mad Max was excellent. My wife would've been happy just watching that guy with the guitar. She was way too amused by that.

Also saw Tomorrowland. Surprisingly entertaining movie. I loved the theme behind it and will certainly be bringing the kids to see it.

Redsfaithful
05-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Mad Max honestly might be the greatest action movie ever made. It's incredible that movie got made in today's Hollywood for a bunch of reasons.

RedTeamGo!
05-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Mad Max honestly might be the greatest action movie ever made. It's incredible that movie got made in today's Hollywood for a bunch of reasons.

Redsfaithful
05-31-2015, 05:21 PM

Die Hard is obviously right there, but Fury Road might have surpassed it.

Razor Shines
05-31-2015, 11:10 PM
Finally got out to see Fury Road this evening. I'd read so much hype by this time that I didn't think it could live up, but wow, it did. So many things I just did not expect, it was truly great.

Tom Servo
06-07-2015, 01:57 AM
Just finished watching it, glad I did. I honestly only knew of Ellis for the LSD no-hitter, I had no idea of his success with the Pirates and Yankees and what he did in life after beating substance abuse.

LoganBuck
06-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Jurassic World was a direct ripoff of the first movie, just louder.

Redsfaithful
06-16-2015, 09:33 PM
I thought Jurassic World was well done. You get what you pay for, and Chris Pratt is likeable.

dougdirt
06-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Jurassic World was a direct ripoff of the first movie, just louder.

Uh, false.

SPOILER ALERT

There was no Goldblum.

LoganBuck
06-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Uh, false.

SPOILER ALERT

There was no Goldblum.
The dork in the control room, and StarLord also shared some traits with Goldblum.

dougdirt
06-16-2015, 11:50 PM
The dork in the control room, and StarLord also shared some traits with Goldblum.

I don't want to ruin anything in the movie. But the dork in the control room provided me with the best laugh of the entire movie. How embarrassing for him. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. I laughed out loud. Then felt incredibly uncomfortable as I was the only one laughing.

LoganBuck
06-17-2015, 10:54 AM

*BaseClogger*
06-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I thought Jurassic World was well done. You get what you pay for, and Chris Pratt is likeable.

Well done, or acceptably done? That script was atrocious...

Redsfaithful
06-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Well done, or acceptably done? That script was atrocious...

I thought it was fine - I'm honestly not sure what some of you were looking for from the nostalgic dinosaur movie.

If you wanted to see a smart action movie I think Fury Road is still playing.

Mutaman
06-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Just finished watching it, glad I did. I honestly only knew of Ellis for the LSD no-hitter, I had no idea of his success with the Pirates and Yankees and what he did in life after beating substance abuse.

"What happened to yesterday?"

Mutaman
06-19-2015, 09:58 PM
" For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster. ". Just saw the 25th anniversary revival of Goodfellas. Gets better every time I see it.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Just got back from taking my daughters to Inside Out. VERY funny. Thoroughly enjoyed it...as I have all of Pixar's stuff.

Boston Red
06-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Just got back from taking my daughters to Inside Out. VERY funny. Thoroughly enjoyed it...as I have all of Pixar's stuff.

It was, indeed, a fantastic movie.

BuckeyeRed27
07-13-2015, 02:58 PM

I saw it over the weekend and agree completely. It was very smart and well done and not a kids movie at all. In fact I think there was only about 3 or 4 kids under 12 in the theatre when I saw it.

dougdirt
07-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Went and saw Trainwreck this afternoon. It was funny, but not as funny as I expected. But, it wound up being a better movie than I expected it to be.

RedTeamGo!
07-17-2015, 10:47 PM
Saw Jurassic World Tuesday. When the water Dino jumps out of the water, splashes the crowd and the older boy says "now do you want to see something really cool?" which is immediately followed by a 30 second Mercedes Benz commercial I wanted to walk out of the theater. I would have if I wasn't with a friend. Just a completey awful movie.

On top of the on-going Mercedes commercial playing through the movie the script was terrible and cheesy, the acting was bad, and the forced love story was cringe-worthy at best. You will have to drag me to the next installment. Never again.

NebraskaRed
07-19-2015, 07:51 PM
I thought Ant Man was pretty solid entertainment. It wasn't the best Marvel movie by any means, but it was funny, moved at a good pace, they kept the stakes relatively small (Ant Man didn't have to save an entire city or anything), and the special effects were good.

And Thomas the Tank Engine stole the show.

dougdirt
07-19-2015, 09:03 PM
And Thomas the Tank Engine stole the show.

He just can't ever let anyone else have the spotlight, can he?

RedTeamGo!
07-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Trainwreck was OK. Some funny parts, but it ended up being more of a RomCom than what I expected from an Apatow production.

First half was a lot better than second half and the ending was really cheesy. Like they weren't sure how to end it and had to keep it under a certain time so they just threw something together.

marcshoe
07-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Went and saw Trainwreck this afternoon.

So you finally saw Jurassic World, huh?

marcshoe
07-20-2015, 01:26 PM

So you're saying it was better than 'Inside Herman's Head'. Good.

My only question is whether it intentionally makes grown-ups cry. Pixar is evil that way.

dougdirt
07-20-2015, 01:32 PM
So you finally saw Jurassic World, huh?

I see what you did there.

BuckeyeRed27
07-21-2015, 11:56 AM
So you're saying it was better than 'Inside Herman's Head'. Good.

My only question is whether it intentionally makes grown-ups cry. Pixar is evil that way.

It's not like "Up" or "Toy Story 3" level, but you know it gets a little misty.

foxfire123
07-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Isn't someone on here a movie reviewer? Curious if anyone has been able to see an advance screening of Pixels....

Razor Shines
07-23-2015, 12:20 AM
Saw Trainwreck tonight. I really enjoyed it. I guess it's kind of what I've come to expect from Apatow, which is a good thing. Only thing I will say negatively is that it was still a little long, not Funny People long though.

As we were leaving I heard someone walking down the stairs in front of me say "It was pretty good, at least it was better than Fury Road..." It was everything I could do not throw my drink at them.

dougdirt
07-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Saw Trainwreck tonight. I really enjoyed it. I guess it's kind of what I've come to expect from Apatow, which is a good thing. Only thing I will say negatively is that it was still a little long, not Funny People long though.

As we were leaving I heard someone walking down the stairs in front of me say "It was pretty, at least it was better than Fury Road..." It was everything I could do not throw my drink at them.

You misheard them. They said Furry Road.

Boston Red
07-27-2015, 02:51 PM
I saw Trainwreck as well last night. Definitely funny/entertaining. Good, mindless entertainment.

Razor Shines
08-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Saw M:I:RN last night. It was good, I'm not sure they needed 2 hours and 11 minutes to tell that story though.

Raisor
08-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Saw M:I:RN last night. It was good, I'm not sure they needed 2 hours and 11 minutes to tell that story though.

I saw it too. Perfectly acceptable popcorn movie

Razor Shines
08-02-2015, 11:27 AM
I saw it too. Perfectly acceptable popcorn movie

Yeah. Just thought it was a touch long. Of course it was the 10:30 show, so maybe I was just tired. That chase scene was about the best I've ever seen.

Ohayou
08-07-2015, 05:33 AM
It must suck to be Josh Trank right now. I honestly thought he was going to be one of the next big directors, but then he blew his Star Wars gig and made what sounds like one of the worst superhero movies of all time with Fantastic Four. Can't place all the blame on him, though - studio interference has definitely tainted the adaptations. As long as Fox continues to own the rights, a fun Fantastic Four movie is unlikely to ever happen. Quality is secondary to them.

19braves77
08-07-2015, 11:29 AM
It must suck to be Josh Trank right now. I honestly thought he was going to be one of the next big directors, but then he blew his Star Wars gig and made what sounds like one of the worst superhero movies of all time with Fantastic Four. Can't place all the blame on him, though - studio interference has definitely tainted the adaptations. As long as Fox continues to own the rights, a fun Fantastic Four movie is unlikely to ever happen. Quality is secondary to them.

The problem with FF4 is that is isn't great source material for a movie. I never liked it when I was young because I couldn't relate it to it. Josh Trank even used the Ultimate FF4 comic story instead of Kirby and Lee's and its still bad.

Raisor
08-07-2015, 11:57 AM
The problem with FF4 is that is isn't great source material for a movie. I never liked it when I was young because I couldn't relate it to it. Josh Trank even used the Ultimate FF4 comic story instead of Kirby and Lee's and its still bad.

This is crazy-town.

The FF is prime to be a great franchise if done right.

Ohayou
08-07-2015, 04:02 PM

Sure, it is. Just look at The Incredibles - it's as close to an FF movie as has been made yet.

The property needs to be dropped by Fox, and return to Marvel/Disney, where it would stand a chance of being made properly.

Larry Schuler
08-07-2015, 04:11 PM
A comic book action movie can be terrible and panned by critics in the US and successfully make 700 million overseas. Big action set pieces speak the universal language of EXPLOSIONS and that big international box office can trump domestic fan adoration and critical praise in an executive's eyes. So, unless this bombs internationally, Fox/Universal might still consider this a successful execution despite any comments from critics, fans, or the director.

marcshoe
08-07-2015, 10:23 PM

Man, I was a kid in the Kirby-Lee era, and I played Human Torch all the time. And when Star Wars came along, I knew where George Lucas got the idea for Darth Vader.

19braves77
08-16-2015, 02:03 PM
All this info about the Force Awakens is awesome:

http://i.imgur.com/r0pbAMB.jpg

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/08/15/star-wars-cover.jpg

Ton of photos:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=123975

Raisor
08-16-2015, 04:49 PM
The Man from UNCLE was pretty meh.

Razor Shines
08-16-2015, 07:15 PM

My wife and I were discussing seeing that or The Gift next week. She was like Armie Hammer, yay. I was all like Guy Ritchie, boo. I hope I win this one.

Razor Shines
08-16-2015, 07:21 PM
I was just playing with my boys and set this up.

"Do you even lift, Bro?"

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/e50e5df99ebeb96cfb2c8233e80765f4.jpg

BuckeyeRed27
08-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Loved "Straight Outta Compton". It was surprisingly well acted for a cast of mostly unknown people.

Raisor
08-18-2015, 04:29 PM
My wife and I were discussing seeing that or The Gift next week. She was like Armie Hammer, yay. I was all like Guy Ritchie, boo. I hope I win this one.

I usually like Ritchie movies, just not this one

Raisor
08-18-2015, 04:31 PM
I was just playing with my boys and set this up.

"Do you even lift, Bro?"

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/e50e5df99ebeb96cfb2c8233e80765f4.jpg

Wait, is that The Fridge's GI Joe figure?

Razor Shines
08-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Ha. Yes.

Raisor
08-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Ha. Yes.

How sad that a) you have it b) I recognized it.

Razor Shines
08-18-2015, 04:38 PM
How sad that a) you have it b) I recognized it.

What's the opposite of sad/pathetic?

Razor Shines
08-18-2015, 04:42 PM
I still don't remember why there's an orange, well tanned and an Albino Road Pig but we have both.

RedsBaron
08-20-2015, 06:58 PM

My youngest son wanted to see it, so I took him this evening. Mediocre, not much fun.

Raisor
08-20-2015, 10:56 PM
My youngest son wanted to see it, so I took him this evening. Mediocre, not much fun.

You should have read my meh review first