PDA

View Full Version : Video Game thread part 2

MikeThierry
11-22-2014, 01:30 AM
I cannot, for the life of me, find the long running video game thread in here so I'll start a new one.

I got my hands on Dragon Age Inquisition and I must say it's hands down the best game I've played all year. It's everything Dragon Age 2 should have been.

OldRightHander
11-22-2014, 09:06 AM
I just started the new Assassin's Creed, but I'm not that far into it. I also like the Total War series. I'm currently going through Rome 2.

reds1869
11-22-2014, 09:24 AM
MikeThierry is right, Dragon Age Inquisition is a fantastic game. I also picked up AC Unity but haven't spent much time with it. I can say that Paris is beautiful in the game and feels like a living, breathing city.

MikeThierry
11-22-2014, 11:22 AM
I just started the new Assassin's Creed, but I'm not that far into it. I also like the Total War series. I'm currently going through Rome 2.

I loved the Total War series though I think Rome: Total War was my favorite out of all of them. I didn't try Rome 2 for some reason. Still, for a time when the Rome: Total War community was active, I would go so far to say I was one of the best in the world at the game via multiplayer. My friend and I once had a 72 game winning streak against other opponents.

MikeThierry is right, Dragon Age Inquisition is a fantastic game. I also picked up AC Unity but haven't spent much time with it. I can say that Paris is beautiful in the game and feels like a living, breathing city.

I'm so far behind on my AC games right now and I've yet to play the second expansion to AC2. I've heard great things about Unity.

As far as Dragon Age Inquisition goes, it's like Skyrim. It's such a massive game that there might be too much content, if that's possible.

dougdirt
11-22-2014, 03:15 PM
I just started Tomb Raider: Anniversary for xbox 360 last week. Why? It was $5.00 and I needed something to play over the winter.

Caveat Emperor
11-22-2014, 05:33 PM
I just finished "Mass Effect" for the first time last night (a similar $5 purchase at GameStop). Totally blown away with how good it was -- even after years of people telling me I had to check it out. I went out and bought 2 & 3 today (also for $5 each). Can't wait to get going with them over the holiday week.

Also strongly considering jumping in to the new gen of systems soon. The XBox One (w/ AC Unity) is going for ~$300 in a lot of places on Black Friday. Seems like a solid deal.

RedsManRick
11-22-2014, 07:47 PM
I cannot, for the life of me, find the long running video game thread in here so I'll start a new one.

I got my hands on Dragon Age Inquisition and I must say it's hands down the best game I've played all year. It's everything Dragon Age 2 should have been.

Just started DA:I as well. My only disappointed at the moment is that I'm playing it on PC and the UI was very, very clearly designed for console. It's a bit clunky to use, with menus using far too little screen space for a setting where you're 18 inches away from the screen and thus requiring multiple levels to move in and out of. I also find the camera a bit odd, as I'm unable to look "up" sufficiently well for my liking, nor zoom out enough to make the overhead tactical view worthwhile. I'm guessing they basically ran out of time to add a PC specific UI and will be overhauling it via patches in the coming months. I'm only ~3 hours in to the game itself though and really enjoying it.

MikeThierry
11-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Just started DA:I as well. My only disappointed at the moment is that I'm playing it on PC and the UI was very, very clearly designed for console. It's a bit clunky to use, with menus using far too little screen space for a setting where you're 18 inches away from the screen and thus requiring multiple levels to move in and out of. I also find the camera a bit odd, as I'm unable to look "up" sufficiently well for my liking, nor zoom out enough to make the overhead tactical view worthwhile. I'm guessing they basically ran out of time to add a PC specific UI and will be overhauling it via patches in the coming months. I'm only ~3 hours in to the game itself though and really enjoying it.

It is pretty much meant for console but at the same time, I think the processing power of a PC makes it almost equal. From my experience, I have almost zero loading times and some of the lagging that the console version is experiencing right now.

By the way, if you get into a love story with the Iron Bull, you'll spit out what ever drink you're drinking laughing. I can't post it here because the language is NSFW but I saw a youtube video where he was paired up with a male companion. It's arguably the funniest thing Bioware put in their video games.

MikeThierry
11-23-2014, 12:28 AM
I just finished "Mass Effect" for the first time last night (a similar $5 purchase at GameStop). Totally blown away with how good it was -- even after years of people telling me I had to check it out. I went out and bought 2 & 3 today (also for $5 each). Can't wait to get going with them over the holiday week.

Also strongly considering jumping in to the new gen of systems soon. The XBox One (w/ AC Unity) is going for ~$300 in a lot of places on Black Friday. Seems like a solid deal.

I think for a trilogy of games, it was far and away the most well thought out storyline of any series I've seen. A lot of people complain about the ending of Mass Effect 3 but it seems those complaints are from people who wanted a puppy dog and rainbows type ending and people who didn't spend time getting enough points to unlock all the possible endings. If you get 4000+ military strength, you have the ability to unlock every single ending. My advice, Caveat, is do as many missions as possible with the remaining games because it's quite rewarding.

Also, if you guys get a chance, check out the information on the upcoming game "No Man's Sky". It looks bloody amazing and I believe it will change the way developers develop games. This game was developed by a team with just under ten guys, which is amazing. It's technically a multiplayer game but the "No Man's Sky" universe is so massive that you literally might never see anyone. The game generates millions upon millions of different worlds in which each world itself takes more time to explore than years you have on your life. The scope is something I've never seen before. Here is some information on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

http://www.businessinsider.in/Why-No-Mans-Sky-Might-Be-The-Most-Creative-And-Complex-Game-Ever-Invented/articleshow/36862274.cms

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/08/26/exploring-18446744073709551616-planets-mans-sky/

RedsManRick
11-23-2014, 03:11 PM
I think for a trilogy of games, it was far and away the most well thought out storyline of any series I've seen. A lot of people complain about the ending of Mass Effect 3 but it seems those complaints are from people who wanted a puppy dog and rainbows type ending and people who didn't spend time getting enough points to unlock all the possible endings. If you get 4000+ military strength, you have the ability to unlock every single ending. My advice, Caveat, is do as many missions as possible with the remaining games because it's quite rewarding.

Also, if you guys get a chance, check out the information on the upcoming game "No Man's Sky". It looks bloody amazing and I believe it will change the way developers develop games. This game was developed by a team with just under ten guys, which is amazing. It's technically a multiplayer game but the "No Man's Sky" universe is so massive that you literally might never see anyone. The game generates millions upon millions of different worlds in which each world itself takes more time to explore than years you have on your life. The scope is something I've never seen before. Here is some information on it:

http://www.businessinsider.in/Why-No-Mans-Sky-Might-Be-The-Most-Creative-And-Complex-Game-Ever-Invented/articleshow/36862274.cms

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/08/26/exploring-18446744073709551616-planets-mans-sky/

Regarding the ME3 ending, there was a fan theory out there regarding indoctrination that was much cooler than the actual ending and actually fit the content that was already there perfectly. It was hardly a "happy" ending, but it was much more imaginative than the set of endings the devs stuck with. That said, the series was an absolute blast and I highly recommend it.

OldRightHander
11-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Anyone else play on multiple platforms? I have a PS4, a PC I only use for games, and I have some games on my MacBook. I buy different types of games for different platforms, depending on the type of game and how I'll probably be playing it.

Stray
11-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Just built a new computer a couple of weeks ago, loving it so far. I've been playing Shadows of Mordor a little bit. It's pretty fun, but I haven't got to play too much. The rest of my Steam library are mostly older games like Skyrim, Bioshock and a few others. Will prolly check out some Black Friday sales and pick a couple up.

Any recommendations for PC games?

Redsfaithful
11-27-2014, 11:46 PM
I've been playing a lot of Civ 5. And there's a big Steam sale going on right now, so I bought a bunch of stuff I've missed over the years - I've been playing a game every day while I eat lunch. Sort of feels more productive than aimlessly browsing the internet.

jwertz
12-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Anyone on Redszone playing Destiny on PS4? I am looking for a few more people to do raids/nightfall/weekly with. I have some people I play with already, but I'm always looking for more. If you are interested let me know.

Crumbley
12-05-2014, 01:29 PM
I've been playing a disgusting amount of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros for Wii U. Nothing you haven't seen before, but polished to perfection, and so much to do. Have always preferred the local multiplayer experience, though I will play MK8 online if no one is around.

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Anyone on Redszone playing Destiny on PS4? I am looking for a few more people to do raids/nightfall/weekly with. I have some people I play with already, but I'm always looking for more. If you are interested let me know.

I don't do Destiny, but I have friends who do on the Xbox. Their chief complaint about the game is that it forces them to be social with people.

OldRightHander
12-15-2014, 01:02 AM

I've been playing Elite Dangerous for a couple months now and it's similar in scope. The entire Milky Way is in there and every star can be travelled to. It's going to release Tuesday. I've been doing the Beta through its various stages of improvement and it's pretty impressive so far.

OldRightHander
12-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Ok, quick question here. I'm somewhat new to PC gaming, having played games on my Mac and Playstation for years. I recently came across a good deal on a desktop with a fair amount of power and hooked it up to my home theater to use strictly as a gaming computer. I've gotten some titles that I used to play on PS3 and some other PC titles that don't have console versions. Here's the thing that bugs me. I will be in a game and some sort of Windows notification will interrupt the game and kick me back to the desktop. This never happens on any of my Macs. Apple will just pop up a small notification in the corner of that screen that will disappear in a second or two and then you can attend to it when you want to. Not so with Windows. It's rather annoying in certain kinds of games like flight sims where you get kicked out right when trying to land a plane and end up crashing before you can alt tab back. Any setting available that will eliminate that from happening, or do I have to make a note every time what it was that caused it and address each instance? Windows 7 64 bit by the way.

RedTeamGo!
12-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Ok, quick question here. I'm somewhat new to PC gaming, having played games on my Mac and Playstation for years. I recently came across a good deal on a desktop with a fair amount of power and hooked it up to my home theater to use strictly as a gaming computer. I've gotten some titles that I used to play on PS3 and some other PC titles that don't have console versions. Here's the thing that bugs me. I will be in a game and some sort of Windows notification will interrupt the game and kick me back to the desktop. This never happens on any of my Macs. Apple will just pop up a small notification in the corner of that screen that will disappear in a second or two and then you can attend to it when you want to. Not so with Windows. It's rather annoying in certain kinds of games like flight sims where you get kicked out right when trying to land a plane and end up crashing before you can alt tab back. Any setting available that will eliminate that from happening, or do I have to make a note every time what it was that caused it and address each instance? Windows 7 64 bit by the way.

Funny, I was playing some PC games on my friend's Steam Box last night at his house and he got a gchat message and it interrupted the game we were playing. He said it was the only annoying thing about his system. I will ask him this question later tonight - he is a programmer so I am sure he knows a workaround for this.

Also: If you have a PC gaming system set up you need to download Steam and buy the following games immediately:

Bastian
Fez

Wonderful Monds
01-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Smash Bros took over my life from November onward.

Crumbley
01-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Smash Bros took over my life from November onward.

Smash is sooooo good. Had only played it at parties and such, Wii U version is the first I've owned. The amount of care that went into this game is mindblowing. Not only do they have the take a bath theme from Nintendogs, they have the VOCAL ARRANGEMENT of the take a bath theme from Nintendogs. These people are complete maniacs, and I love them for it.

OldRightHander
01-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Funny, I was playing some PC games on my friend's Steam Box last night at his house and he got a gchat message and it interrupted the game we were playing. He said it was the only annoying thing about his system. I will ask him this question later tonight - he is a programmer so I am sure he knows a workaround for this.

Also: If you have a PC gaming system set up you need to download Steam and buy the following games immediately:

Bastian
Fez

I went to Micro Center and got a recommended anti virus that doesn't slow down the system like Norton's. I ran a couple scans and found all kinds of junk that I cleaned up. Games don't get interrupted nearly as much now.

Stray
01-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Close to ordering the 1440p LG Ultrawide monitor. Hopefully games work well on a weird aspect ratio since playing with black bars would suck.

Bought Shadows of Mordor on Steam a while back and I've been enjoying it a lot. I love the play style, tho it took me quite a few deaths to get the hang of it. GTA V comes out on PC in a couple of weeks too so that should be fun.

OldRightHander
01-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Close to ordering the 1440p LG Ultrawide monitor. Hopefully games work well on a weird aspect ratio since playing with black bars would suck.

Bought Shadows of Mordor on Steam a while back and I've been enjoying it a lot. I love the play style, tho it took me quite a few deaths to get the hang of it. GTA V comes out on PC in a couple of weeks too so that should be fun.

I have my gaming PC run through one of the inputs on my home theater system. TV is a 60 inch LED. Works pretty good and the surround sound is nice.

Caveat Emperor
03-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Chrono Trigger turned 20 yesterday.

I've never felt older reading a video game fact than I did reading that.

Josh
03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Anyone play COD Advanced warfare on the Xbox One?

Stray
04-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Finally got around to playing The Last of Us on PS4. Gotta say, might be the best game I've ever played. Didn't expect the story to be that good...wow.

OldRightHander
04-14-2015, 11:08 PM
Finally got around to playing The Last of Us on PS4. Gotta say, might be the best game I've ever played. Didn't expect the story to be that good...wow.

I played that a few months ago. I would have to agree with you on the story. More than I expected.

Stray
04-16-2015, 11:39 PM
I played that a few months ago. I would have to agree with you on the story. More than I expected.

Just didn't expect a video game story to hook me like that. Didn't even realize while playing how much I cared about characters, then bam something happens and it's a punch to the gut. Just a great game... Naughty Dog are the best game devs right now imo.

reds1869
04-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Right now my PS4 has pretty much become a dedicated MLB The Show machine. I still slip out for some Borderlands Handsome Collection, though.

Redsfan320
04-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Right now my PS4 has pretty much become a dedicated MLB The Show machine. I still slip out for some Borderlands Handsome Collection, though.

Is '15 worth $60 if I already have '14? I'm certainly not seeing any real reason to buy it.

Stray
04-22-2015, 10:59 PM
Bloodborne is fun. It's pretty difficult but also rewarding. Took me some time to get a feel for things.

Wonderful Monds
04-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Is '15 worth $60 if I already have '14? I'm certainly not seeing any real reason to buy it.

I would almost always wait a month into the season or so, those games seem to take a sharp discount for a while shortly after coming out.

Wonderful Monds
04-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Chrono Trigger turned 20 yesterday.

I've never felt older reading a video game fact than I did reading that.

Same with Super Mario 64, which I believe is now 20 as well. I remember being 6ish years old and they had a Nintendo 64 demo stand at a Blockbuster store (oh god I am so old) and I remember grabbing the controller and trying to move with the D-pad as I had been trained my entire life and as soon as I figured out what was possible to do in that game, it blew my child mind right out of my head.

RedTeamGo!
04-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Same with Super Mario 64, which I believe is now 20 as well. I remember being 6ish years old and they had a Nintendo 64 demo stand at a Blockbuster store (oh god I am so old) and I remember grabbing the controller and trying to move with the D-pad as I had been trained my entire life and as soon as I figured out what was possible to do in that game, it blew my child mind right out of my head.

Haha this reminds me of how amazed I was with Mario Paint for snes as a kid. Good memories. The new gaming systems have nothing on Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64. I still play Mario Golf and Super Smash Bro for N64 every time I am staying at my parents house. Sure, I could take my n64 to my apartment and play when I want, but I kind of like the feeling of chilling in the ol basement playing Nintendo games like a kid again (only now I usually have a 6 pack of craft IPA with me)

Stray
04-23-2015, 11:51 PM
I would almost always wait a month into the season or so, those games seem to take a sharp discount for a while shortly after coming out.

Yeah I've noticed that Amazon prices start at 59.99 then continue to drop the longer the game has been out. It'll be a 30 dollar game in no time haha.

improbus
04-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Anyone else enjoying Shovel Knight?

Stray
05-29-2015, 11:50 PM
The Witcher 3 is tons of fun.

WildcatFan
06-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Fifteen minutes until a Fallout 4 announcement. I love these games.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

reds1869
06-03-2015, 10:11 AM
The Witcher 3 is tons of fun.

Loving it so far. I didn't play the first two games but I'm currently reading the books.

reds1869
06-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Fifteen minutes until a Fallout 4 announcement. I love these games.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

Just take my money! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4

KronoRed
06-03-2015, 05:00 PM
I require this game.

Now.

Stray
06-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Loving it so far. I didn't play the first two games but I'm currently reading the books.

Yeah I didn't play the first two either so everything is new to me as well. Just found Dandelion but haven't done much outside of the main story. Will prolly start adventuring on side quest stuff more.

Stray
06-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Aww yea, can't wait for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL46dpNEPPA

Ohayou
06-21-2015, 05:08 AM
Steam's summer sale is ending soon. The Encore Sale will run until Monday, 10 AM PST. Lots of huge deals left.

OldRightHander
07-09-2015, 01:30 AM
Just finished the main story on Arkham Knight. Pretty solid.

wolfboy
01-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Anyone playing anything fun lately?

KronoRed
01-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Just started my second play of Fallout 4, spending more time building big settlements, and avoiding the freaking Minutemen.

RedTeamGo!
01-26-2016, 12:31 AM
I am about halfway through Chrono Cross (Ps1) for the 4th time. Love that game.

RedsManRick
01-26-2016, 01:04 AM
Just started my second play of Fallout 4, spending more time building big settlements, and avoiding the freaking Minutemen.

I'm sort of stalled out after having started Act 3. Just sort of want it to be over. I'm playing Season 5 of Diablo 3 instead -- and doing the occasional arena run in Hearthstone.

wolfboy
01-26-2016, 09:37 PM
Question for the Fallout folks - I've never played any of the Fallout games. Will I like it if I'm an Elder Scrolls fan?

Question for RMR - how is Season 5? I started up again when Season 4 started and got bored pretty quickly.

wolfboy
01-26-2016, 09:43 PM
I am about halfway through Chrono Cross (Ps1) for the 4th time. Love that game.

I need to bust out all my old consoles. I've had an itch to play N64 games.

Caveat Emperor
01-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Anyone playing anything fun lately?

I'm going through Mass Effect 3 right now for the first time -- I played 1 & 2 last year (taking breaks in between each game to play other stuff in my backlog). I'm told that I'll hate the ending, but the series is still my favorite run of just about anything this side of Star Wars or the West Wing.

When I don't have time to really dig in to ME, or just want something light, I'm also working through the Borderlands 2 remaster for X1. Great game.

KronoRed
01-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Make sure you have the ME3 with all the DLC, they make the game worth the non ending.

wolfboy
01-28-2016, 09:16 PM
I'm going through Mass Effect 3 right now for the first time -- I played 1 & 2 last year (taking breaks in between each game to play other stuff in my backlog). I'm told that I'll hate the ending, but the series is still my favorite run of just about anything this side of Star Wars or the West Wing.

When I don't have time to really dig in to ME, or just want something light, I'm also working through the Borderlands 2 remaster for X1. Great game.

Thanks for the reminder. I still haven't made it through ME3. It's also one of my favorite franchises next to Star Wars. Have you seen this? http://imgur.com/a/6zZsa I'm pretty excited.

Caveat Emperor
01-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Make sure you have the ME3 with all the DLC, they make the game worth the non ending.

I've got all the DLC content downloaded. The DLC for ME2 was fantastic -- the Shadow Broker stuff was the first time I've ever paid for DLC and felt like I got my money's worth in terms of content.

Thanks for the reminder. I still haven't made it through ME3. It's also one of my favorite franchises next to Star Wars. Have you seen this? http://imgur.com/a/6zZsa I'm pretty excited.

Yeah, I'm stoked. I love the lore of this universe -- I was blown away in ME1 at how well done and well thought out it it all was.

WildcatFan
02-10-2016, 09:21 PM
I set up a Raspberry Pi with Retropie recently and have been playing through some classics that I've missed. Just finished Super Mario RPG and it scratched my old Super Nintendo Final Fantasy itches while still feeling a lot like a traditional Mario game. I loved it and don't know how I'd never come across it before.

Yachtzee
02-15-2016, 01:58 PM
I got the family the Tomb Raider XBox1 bundle for Christmas because it came with a 1 TB console and an extra controller. I enjoyed Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Right now I've been playing Forza 5 and the Forza Horizon 2 after buying them together at a huge discount. I'm due for a new car IRL and so I've been "virtually test driving" the cars in the Forza game.

I'd really like to check out Fallout 4 at some point.

Caveat Emperor
03-01-2016, 03:54 PM
And just like that, Microsoft killed their console business: http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/11121666/xbox-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

SteelSD
03-01-2016, 08:53 PM
And just like that, Microsoft killed their console business: http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/11121666/xbox-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

I dunno. Seems like the next logical evolutionary step considering how PC gaming is going. Laptops are getting more powerful by the day and both Alienware and Razer have peripherals that allow users to upgrade with full size graphics cards. Now, that's at the high-end of course, but I can see that technology gaining more traction as it tests out. Small form factor PC's are getting far more powerful, cheaper, and allow for upgrades the consoles can't touch. For example, I do about 95% of my gaming on my Alienware Alpha base i3; upgraded to 8GB RAM and an SSD. Half the size of my PS4. I can further upgrade the RAM and upgrade the processor if I feel the need. Can't do that with my PS4; which now represents the most expensive dedicated Blu Ray player I own.

I don't know that the console companies really have much choice going forward but to promote similar hardware upgrades. Technology is moving way too fast to offer their consoles the same relevancy window previously taken for granted. And frankly, they've tried to emulate PC functionality for a while now (with mixed to "fail" results). Might as well go all the way (or close to it). I can tell ya', I'd be a lot more interested in an XBox One if it could pretend to be current-to-next gen technology rather than last gen a few years into its life cycle.

Stray
03-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Delayed again till May.

As much as this baby has been delayed it better be amazing, but I get the feeling it'll deliver. Truth is it could launch in 5 years and I'd be waiting to buy haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh5HV4iic1Y

RedsManRick
03-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Question for the Fallout folks - I've never played any of the Fallout games. Will I like it if I'm an Elder Scrolls fan?

Question for RMR - how is Season 5? I started up again when Season 4 started and got bored pretty quickly.

Sorry I missed this previously. I played for maybe a week; Demon Hunter instead of my usual Monk or Wizard. I guess the repetitive grind of the APRG just doesn't appeal to me like it once did. New season means new sets and that's about it. Some tweaks to the rifts and adventure system don't really change the core gameplay which you either enjoy doing for long stretches or you don't.

Re: Fallout. It's more shootery than your typical Elder Scrolls game. If you really enjoy the medieval theme that's heavy on melee combat, bows, and magic, you might get turned off a bit. Compared to the previous Fallout game and at least the Elder Scrolls games I've played, the story is much less intricate in terms of factions and branching question options, the dialogue options less interesting/consequential, and the skill system has been streamlined as well. On the plus side, it's much more accessible in terms of being able to play in small bursts and doesn't feel quite as intimidating to come back to -- less of that "what's going on again?" feeling. But more than anything else, it feels like a Bethesda game. While there are differences, you still have the same rhythms of exploring intermingled with quests, fighting the urge to loot all the things, etc.

Caveat Emperor
03-03-2016, 11:32 AM
I dunno. Seems like the next logical evolutionary step considering how PC gaming is going. Laptops are getting more powerful by the day and both Alienware and Razer have peripherals that allow users to upgrade with full size graphics cards. Now, that's at the high-end of course, but I can see that technology gaining more traction as it tests out. Small form factor PC's are getting far more powerful, cheaper, and allow for upgrades the consoles can't touch. For example, I do about 95% of my gaming on my Alienware Alpha base i3; upgraded to 8GB RAM and an SSD. Half the size of my PS4. I can further upgrade the RAM and upgrade the processor if I feel the need. Can't do that with my PS4; which now represents the most expensive dedicated Blu Ray player I own.

I don't know that the console companies really have much choice going forward but to promote similar hardware upgrades. Technology is moving way too fast to offer their consoles the same relevancy window previously taken for granted. And frankly, they've tried to emulate PC functionality for a while now (with mixed to "fail" results). Might as well go all the way (or close to it). I can tell ya', I'd be a lot more interested in an XBox One if it could pretend to be current-to-next gen technology rather than last gen a few years into its life cycle.

Yeah, but that's always been the trade off with console gaming -- you get reduced performance compared to a top-spec'd PC, but you also get ease-of-use and guaranteed compatibility for all software released during the console's life cycle. You know that when you plunk down your $300-$400, you're buying 7-8 years of never having to worry about minimum specs, recommended settings, or hardware issues. You also know you'll never be asked to manage device drivers, toggle performance settings, or crack open the case (or pay someone to crack open the case) and install a new video card or better components.

You also get, as a gamer, something approaching a guarantee that you can buy any piece of software and pop it right into the machine to play, and that there will be uniformity of experience across the globe. You don't need to worry that the guy you're playing against online is pumping out double the FPS or twice the resolution, that he's using the same (or similar) control setup to you, etc. And, from a developer's point of view, you know that every game you release is playable on the entire installed user base, with minimal troubleshooting or optimization for various settings required.

I guess what I keep coming back to is that if I wanted to game on a PC, I'd game on a PC. I don't. I don't want the hassle, I don't want the setup, I don't want the cost. I own my XBox One, it sits underneath my TV ready for use whenever I've got a free minute, and I can run to Target for any new game released without worrying if it'll play. If console gaming transitions to this PC-type balkanization of experience and constant cash-drain of required hardware upgrades, that'll probably be the minute I tap out for good -- and I suspect I won't be alone.

KronoRed
03-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Come on, it worked for SEGA :D

Caveat Emperor
03-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Come on, it worked for SEGA :D

32X FTW

KronoRed
03-03-2016, 03:08 PM
I had the SEGA CD, thing collected dust and died in a few months.

SteelSD
03-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Yeah, but that's always been the trade off with console gaming -- you get reduced performance compared to a top-spec'd PC, but you also get ease-of-use and guaranteed compatibility for all software released during the console's life cycle. You know that when you plunk down your $300-$400, you're buying 7-8 years of never having to worry about minimum specs, recommended settings, or hardware issues. You also know you'll never be asked to manage device drivers, toggle performance settings, or crack open the case (or pay someone to crack open the case) and install a new video card or better components.

The current generations of consoles are PC's. They're just not good at actually being PC's. You already manage drivers via consistent firmware updates. If you want to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD (at least for the PS4), you crack the case. And if you don't think folks are doing wacky things like cracking open cases to re-apply thermal paste to their CPU/GPU's in an effort to grab a touch of a performance edge, think again.

You also get, as a gamer, something approaching a guarantee that you can buy any piece of software and pop it right into the machine to play, and that there will be uniformity of experience across the globe. You don't need to worry that the guy you're playing against online is pumping out double the FPS or twice the resolution, that he's using the same (or similar) control setup to you, etc. And, from a developer's point of view, you know that every game you release is playable on the entire installed user base, with minimal troubleshooting or optimization for various settings required.

By "entire", do you mean just XBOX One user base? I ask because one of the biggest headaches for developers has been the need to program games to function cross-platform. In fact, the biggest developer gripe over the last decade was the difficulty of needing to program for the PS3's Cell processor. There's a reason the PS4 uses an AMD graphics card.

The problem is that the both the PS4 and XBOX One graphics cards are roughly equivalent to a Nvidia GTX 580 (maybe up to a 660) or AMD Radeon 7850. Both are mid-range cards at best currently. Capable, yes, but truly relevant for 7 to 8 years of gaming as fast as technology and development is advancing? No, and I think it's going to become an issue pretty soon as developers continue to push the envelope. The answer is either to expect developers to handicap their games to fit console hardware that's becoming outdated at an ever accelerated pace, or to sell the next iteration of the console sooner; pushing the window to 4 years or less. But are customers going to open their wallets and pop out $400-$500 twice as fast to keep pace?

OR...does the console company allow the consumer to upgrade their graphics card via peripheral; extending the console relevancy window that the same time period they've been enjoying for quite some time now and likely at a significantly lower manufacturing cost and price to the consumer? Again, I am a console owner and I can guarantee I'd be far more interested in adding the XBOX One should they add the ability to future-proof it. You see that as a "cash drain", and I can understand that perspective. I guess I see upgrading a current console as a more economical alternative- to avoid having to pay for a new console sooner than I'd want to if upgrades can keep my current console relevant at a reasonable price (which is sort of the linchpin, for sure).

That being said, I do think that it would be an entirely bad idea to demand that gamers upgrade consoles just to reach specs required to simply play a game. However, to do it in order to maximize frame rates or eye candy at the highest graphics settings for new games or allow for consistent, smooth 4K gaming experiences? That's reasonable.

You also might want to consider that no platform offers up an "even" player experience. As long as gamers have a way to gain an edge, they will. Even things we take for granted like internet connection type/quality can be exploited. Heck, just try to find an XBOX One Elite controller in a store. Sold out at $149 + tax and for what? Because MS advertises it as a way to gain an advantage. As long as someone can enhance any piece of their tech, there really isn't a level playing field regardless of what you use to game.

I guess what I keep coming back to is that if I wanted to game on a PC, I'd game on a PC. I don't. I don't want the hassle, I don't want the setup, I don't want the cost. I own my XBox One, it sits underneath my TV ready for use whenever I've got a free minute, and I can run to Target for any new game released without worrying if it'll play. If console gaming transitions to this PC-type balkanization of experience and constant cash-drain of required hardware upgrades, that'll probably be the minute I tap out for good -- and I suspect I won't be alone.

No one has to build a $1500 desktop and there's no great technical expertise necessary. For example, my gaming PC takes up half the space of your console in my entertainment system and hooks up to everything your console does. I can install games as well via disk or grab it off Steam (often for a fraction of the console price). I stream games to my tablet. I can use any controller I like (or keyboard/mouse), and I'm not limited to branded upgrades or peripherals. It cost exactly the same price as an XBOX One when I purchased it. Now, I'm not saying my experience is better than yours. Folks should be able to choose and play on what they like, of course. But I can say that I rarely turn on my PS4 anymore, so my own experience is most certainly better.

Stray
05-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Played a little of the Overwatch open beta that's happening right now. It's really fun even tho those games aren't typically what I like.

Cannot freaking wait for Uncharted 4 on Tuesday.

Stray
05-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Haven't finished yet, but so far I'm loving Uncharted 4.

In the beginning it takes you a little while to really figure out what's going on, then you get a burst of reality that'll get anyone who played the previous games sentimental.

Gameplay and combat are about what you'd expect from Uncharted, which is just passable and alright. The game has never been about this and that didn't change here. Visuals and graphics are mind boggling and beautiful. I stop all the time just to look around it's crazy. There's an in game photo mode tool which is almost Adobe Lightroom so it's easy to get amazing in game pics.

The set pieces are big and awesome, and per usual lots of cut scenes. Female villain is kinda boring and the dude villain is underused. They failed on both, but the story is still solid.

Game is tons of fun. So far I'd have it as my 2nd fav Uncharted, after 2 and ahead of 3. Fans of Uncharted will love it and the haters will still hate it. But I'll be sad if this is Nate's last adventure.

Stray
05-25-2016, 11:17 PM
Uncharted 4 finished it off right. It wasn't as good as 2 but it was an awesome game. Naughty Dog just set the bar so freaking high with The Last of Us and Uncharted 2 that when your socks don't get literally blown off you're kinda like eh. But it was the finale to a great, fun series and yeah...any PS3/PS4 owner shoulda enjoyed.

Overwatch is tons of fun. An all around better Team Fortress 2. I bought on PC rather than console and it's addicting. Even if you suck with certain heroes it's surprisingly fun.

wolfboy
05-30-2016, 10:23 PM
So just as a random update: I was getting bored with my rotation of PC/console games and got a retro gaming itch. A retropie (https://retropie.org.uk/) has been on the to-do list for a while, but I just haven't had the time for a decent DIY project. I also had a few trips teed up, so something airplane friendly was a priority. I picked up an Asus Zenfone 2E for $40 (http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2e-7444.php) on sale and ordered one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Khanka-Universal-Controller-Connected-Smartphone/dp/B00RVAU2AU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00_) and hooked the phone up to an old ps3 controller I had laying around the house. Long story short I can emulate up to psx without much problem and it's amazingly portable.

Stray
06-01-2016, 12:12 AM
Overwatch is pretty much crack man. Need to tell myself to stop playing haha.

So far my fav heroes are

1. Junkrat
2. Mei
3. Torbjorn (for funny play of the games)
4. Zenyatta
5. Gengi

19braves77
06-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Can you currently play any NCAA Football game online Playstation network ? Any games online for PS2 ?

Spider Tre
06-26-2016, 05:21 AM
didn't know PS2 online still existed. looked it up and there's still a few games that have servers. not sure about NCAA though

BluegrassRedleg
06-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Any World of Tankers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caveat Emperor
08-08-2016, 01:55 PM
No Man's Sky drops this week for PS4. First game in a long time that I'm legitimately bummed about missing due to exclusivity arrangements.

Beltway
08-08-2016, 02:09 PM
No Man's Sky drops this week for PS4. First game in a long time that I'm legitimately bummed about missing due to exclusivity arrangements.
I thought I read that there was going to be a Windows version after the PS4 release. Did this change?

Caveat Emperor
08-08-2016, 02:15 PM
I thought I read that there was going to be a Windows version after the PS4 release. Did this change?

I'd heard the same, but I'm X1 only when it comes to gaming -- my laptop is way too old to handle any serious effort beyond web browsing and word processing.

marcshoe
08-08-2016, 02:22 PM
I'd heard the same, but I'm X1 only when it comes to gaming -- my laptop is way too old to handle any serious effort beyond web browsing and word processing.

You need to have a talk with Sheldon Cooper about that.

Caveat Emperor
08-08-2016, 02:34 PM
You need to have a talk with Sheldon Cooper about that.

Hey, if he's willing to loan me the cash, I'll gladly upgrade.

Beltway
08-09-2016, 11:14 AM
I actually looked this up after writing my post. It will be released for Windows PCs on 8/12. I went ahead and bought it (link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/)). I'm expecting it to be similar to Terraria/Starbound, just in 3D, with better graphics.

I haven't bought a console since the PS2. I've never found the Xbox (any generation) or PS3/4 consoles compelling enough to purchase. Gaming PCs are more expensive, but they're so much more open and functional. With Steam streaming, you don't even need to have a gaming PC in your living room anymore, either.

RedTeamGo!
08-09-2016, 03:38 PM
I actually looked this up after writing my post. It will be released for Windows PCs on 8/12. I went ahead and bought it (link (http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/)). I'm expecting it to be similar to Terraria/Starbound, just in 3D, with better graphics.

I haven't bought a console since the PS2. I've never found the Xbox (any generation) or PS3/4 consoles compelling enough to purchase. Gaming PCs are more expensive, but they're so much more open and functional. With Steam streaming, you don't even need to have a gaming PC in your living room anymore, either.

Since the PS4/Xbox One(?) came out I gave up on new game consoles and have gone retro. I find myself playing the classics like Chrono Cross (PS1) and SNES games like Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Such better games than the crap that gets released nowadays.

MilotheMayor
08-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Just ordered the Limited Edition of NMS. I'll crack into it once I finish Chrono Trigger.

Beltway
08-16-2016, 10:54 AM

I want to point out that, a few hours after pre-purchasing No Man's Sky (via Steam), I decided to get a refund. I'm glad I did for two reasons:
1. According to the reviews I've read, the PC port is awful. Frame rates are inconsistent, even on powerful gaming PCs, and the controls are terrible.
2. Sean Murray was misleading about multiplayer (deliberately, IMO). He said the game was "effectively single-player", not "functionally single-player". He was vague enough that people believed multiplayer would be possible if you were actually able to meet up with people. He lead people to believe that the limitation was difficulty, not game functionality. That appears to not be the case. So far it looks like it's not even possible to see other players in the game.

Issue #2 is bigger than #1, IMO. I'm confident that they'll work out #1, eventually. But adding functionality for #2 may not be feasible or even possible. I would still consider purchasing the game without being able to see or interact with other players, but not for $60. I'll wait until it goes on sale for $10 or $20.

Caveat Emperor
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Eh -- I get that it's annoying that they lied about multiplayer, but it's not like they ever promised any multiplayer functions at all. There's no group play, no PvP setup or arena mode, no player-driven economy like there is in Elite Dangerous, and the thrust of the game is decidedly single player. Just on features, it appeared the only thing you'd ever be able to do is wave at one another or fly around together -- and even that was so vaguely explained (they clearly weren't building out a MMO server setup, so you're probably talking about instance-based multiplayer like Destiny) that I can't believe anyone really bought the game expecting that to be a robust feature.

Bottom line is that Murray should've come clean from day 1 and said it's not multiplayer, just shared universe. I don't know how that would've harmed the game at all.

Beltway
08-16-2016, 12:29 PM
I agree that they didn't promise PvP, player-driven economies, or other functions that people have come to expect in multiplayer games, but they did give people the impression that they could wave at other players, and being able to wave at another player is multiplayer functionality (something you can't do in single-player games like Fallout). If it was possible to wave at another player and that player see you wave, in real-time, then you would at least have the foundation upon which you could build those other functions (PvP, etc). But this game is missing that foundation and I don't think they'll ever add it because it would involve recoding too much of the game's core infrastructure.

Stray
08-20-2016, 12:27 AM
So I take it NMS not worth buying then? Maybe wait till Amazon drops it a few times just to explore the universe.

RedsManRick
08-20-2016, 01:06 AM
I've watched some people streaming No Man's Sky and honestly, while the gameplay doesn't look terribly engaging (minecraft in space without the crafting), what really turns me off is the aesthetic. It seems like all the colors are washed out and there's way too much pastel stuff. As for the get to the middle of the universe while fighting robots that are everywhere, I think that was Spore's end-game thrust. It just doesn't seem like that had a big enough team to put enough there there.