PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Keys, Rock Saxophonist, dies at 70

redsmetz
12-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Here's the obituary from the New York Times for Bobby Keys who played with a pantheon of Rock & Roll greats, including a lot with the Rolling Stones. Extraordinary history and he and Keith Richards were born on the exact same day.

http://nyti.ms/1yLhimb

westofyou
12-03-2014, 09:20 AM
The solo in Can you hear me knocking is a gigantic legacy on its own.

RedFanAlways1966
12-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I finished reading Keith Richards' bio "LIFE" last Thursday. I have never bought anything Rolling Stones in my life except this book. I just love to read rock-n-roll bios and figured Keef's bio had to be as crazy as Ozzy Osbourne's bio. Well I learned a lot about Bobby Keys in that book. He was Keith's running mate for decades in the off-stage activities. Bobby's heroin habit was so bad that even Keith had to agree to fire him from the touring band. That is pretty bad when Keith fires you for abuse lol. Of course Keith eventually played a key part in getting Keys back in the band. It is amazing that Keys and Richards lived as long as they have. Same for Ozzy. I guess it goes to show that human bodies are all different and some can withstand more abuse than others. For whatever reason.

Bob Sheed
12-19-2014, 12:29 PM
I read "Life" too. Made me want to listen to Exile for the 1 millionth time. Also Gram Parsons.

BluegrassRedleg
12-20-2014, 02:35 AM
I put on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" in Keys' honor that day and maxed the volume out. The wife wondered what the heck was going on down in my man cave. Had to be done, though. RIP, BK.