PDA

View Full Version : What could we get for BP?

RochesterMike
01-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Last year, the Reds were reportedly trying to coax the Yankees into taking BP...

From what I remember they were looking to get Gardner. Obviously that ship has sailed and BP has not lived up to his contract.

Questions:

Would you trade BP to the Yankees projected 4th OF, Chris Young?

Would the Yankees take the trade?

Reds seem to still need another proven OF and the Yankees still need a 2B.

Young is getting 2.5m for one year and I believe BP is getting 12m this year.

Although my thoughts are one sided being a Reds fan, they can play Negron at 2B...or Suarez?

....and from the Pipe Dream side of my brain: use the saved money to get Zobrist?

Thoughts?

dfs
01-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Because they didn't deal him last off season Brandon has 10/5 rights now and he's not going anyplace unless he wants to. Don't know how much it would take for Phillips to accept the deal, but I think it would likely kill the deal.

RochesterMike
01-05-2015, 04:07 PM
IMO, BP loves the limelight....NY would surely be a place he would want to go.

RedlegJake
01-06-2015, 11:35 PM
I don't recall the source but I seem to remember BP saying he didn't want to play for the Yankees. I could be mixing him up with someone else. Regardless, he almost certainly nixes any deal not to a real contender, except that he might go to Atlanta since it is home. The Reds would have to eat some of his deal to make a substantive trade, and there is no real in house replacement so I think a deal is very unlikely for all these reasons.

Billy Budd
01-12-2015, 02:31 PM
What could we get for BP?

Depends on how much of the contract you want to eat. If you trade Phillips and the other team picks up all of his contract. I would imagine, the Reds could get a box of rocks for him... maybe... depending on the rock collection.

If you eat the salary, or give the other team a decent prospect... then, you will be able to move Phillips.

Other than the fact that he is injury prone, old, coming off surgeries, and regressing offensively... he is a nice player to have.

Powel Crosley
01-13-2015, 02:41 PM
At this point a trade will not work out in our favor. I would not trade him unless the only concern is dumping his salary.

CaptainRon
01-13-2015, 07:15 PM
You could get nothing for him. He is not even a top 15 all around 2B, his contact is absurd, he is old and declining more every year, and he has a full no trade clause.

He is, like Votto, an epicly bad investment. Just be happy he's Gone in 3 years. It's gonna take 9 more seasons and 200 million to vanquish votto from our nightmares

Bourgeois Zee
01-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Votto was, before last season, a 900 OPS bat.

With health, he's likely to be a 900 OPS bat again.

He's an OBP machine and an undervalued power source for a team that desperately needs both.

If that's a nightmare, I'd like more of them.

CaptainRon
01-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Votto is 31.

He will be 37 and still owed 75 mill.

His numbers have fallen for 4 years.

He has no power and is injury prone.

Ouch

VPI97
01-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Votto is 31.

He will be 37 and still owed 75 mill.
In six years, the 75 mil left will probably be considered mid-range in terms of player salary.

vottofan4life
01-15-2015, 04:14 PM
looking around at other teams who might swap another bad contract for BP looks like available players could be:

-Ubaldo Jimenez
-CJ Wilson
-Carlos Beltran
-Mark Buehrle
-John Danks
-Jonathan Papelbon
-Cliff Lee
-Ryan Howard
-Kyle Lohse
-Matt Garza
-Andre Ethier
-Tim Lincecum

The trade I would go for though is with a team like the Nationals and bring in a 3rd team like the Mets. You know the Nats need a 2nd basemen to finish out their squad and controllable pitching, you know the Mets need a SS and to relieve themselves of some pitching. So here we go

Reds get:
Daniel Murphy-new 2B
Doug Fister-front of the rotation starter with possible extension and is a lot cheaper than Cueto

Mets get:
Ian Desmond-new SS with extension
Danny Espinosa-new 2B

Nationals get:
Brandon Phillips-new 2B
Noah Syndergaard- fills Fister's spot
Gavin Cechinni- future SS behind Yunel Escobar
Nick Travieso-future SP

For the Reds this gives them open cap space and the ability to sign 2 out of the 3 Cueto, Leake, and Fister with the latter 2 being the most likely.

For the Mets they finally get the SS they have been coveting since Reyes left.

For the Nationals they are able to get something for guys who are suppose to be free agents after the season while plugging in a gaping hole at 2b with a gold glove former all star while rebooting their starting pitching

CaptainRon
01-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Cap space?

CarolinaRedsfan
01-16-2015, 01:57 AM
The only way I see Phillips leaving is if someone wants Cueto so bad that they are willing to take Phillips as part of the deal.

butsch16
01-16-2015, 11:46 AM
looking around at other teams who might swap another bad contract for BP looks like available players could be:

-Ubaldo Jimenez
-CJ Wilson
-Carlos Beltran
-Mark Buehrle
-John Danks
-Jonathan Papelbon
-Cliff Lee
-Ryan Howard
-Kyle Lohse
-Matt Garza
-Andre Ethier
-Tim Lincecum

The trade I would go for though is with a team like the Nationals and bring in a 3rd team like the Mets. You know the Nats need a 2nd basemen to finish out their squad and controllable pitching, you know the Mets need a SS and to relieve themselves of some pitching. So here we go

Reds get:
Daniel Murphy-new 2B
Doug Fister-front of the rotation starter with possible extension and is a lot cheaper than Cueto

Mets get:
Ian Desmond-new SS with extension
Danny Espinosa-new 2B

Nationals get:
Brandon Phillips-new 2B
Noah Syndergaard- fills Fister's spot
Gavin Cechinni- future SS behind Yunel Escobar
Nick Travieso-future SP

For the Reds this gives them open cap space and the ability to sign 2 out of the 3 Cueto, Leake, and Fister with the latter 2 being the most likely.

For the Mets they finally get the SS they have been coveting since Reyes left.

For the Nationals they are able to get something for guys who are suppose to be free agents after the season while plugging in a gaping hole at 2b with a gold glove former all star while rebooting their starting pitching

If Doug Fister would end up as our number one starter, we're in serious trouble.

DanielPlainview
01-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Get for him? Not sure.

What should we get with him? Comfortable. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

CaptainRon
01-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Get for him? Not sure.

What should we get with him? Comfortable. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Exactly. You can't trade an expensive, old, bad player. There is no market for him. Walt and his contracts are always misses

Old NDN
01-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Not much, unfortunely.

RedFanT
01-22-2015, 11:49 AM
As much as I appreciate BP's contributions over the years, I seriously doubt anyone is going to trade for an injury-prone (will be) 34 year old second baseman, making $39 million the next three years to produce a sub-.700 OPS, even with his defense. Cincy would have to take on a huge part of his contract to move him. The best case scenario would be if BP were to get off to a hot start in 2015, hit over .300 with power (OPS above .800), and then find a team to trade him to before the deadline (a team who would give us something in return and would assume BP's contract), but that seems highly unlikely. Brandon is very popular with Reds fans, who would be up-in-arms if he were traded, particularly after a hot start, and I am not sure if the Reds would get anything in return for him. Zobrist isn't happening at this point, and plus while he's better than BP he's on the wrong side of 30, as well (and in Oakland anyways). They need to trade for a younger player. I thought maybe a trade to LA last year for Alexander Guerrero (back when BP was still a trade commodity), but I would be shocked if the Dodgers made the deal now.

JoshBresser
02-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Nothing.

A trade of BP would be a pure salary dump, if there was actually anyone willing to take him. And I'm sure the Reds would have to eat quite a bit to do so.

alexad
03-06-2015, 12:39 AM
Who plays 2nd and who drives in 80 RBI with 24 HRs.

marcshoe
03-06-2015, 01:30 AM

I wish I knew.

JoshBresser
03-06-2015, 11:16 AM

Not Brandon Phillips.

dfs
03-06-2015, 11:49 AM
First of all....
Phillips isn't going anyplace that he doesn't want to go to. He's got 10/5 rights and can veto any trade. He's well thought of by the fan base in town and has pretty much played his entire career here. I don't know why he would want to go away unless you paid him more money. I don't know how much that would be, but any "deal" you've put together that doesn't include that cash will not happen.

That said....lets talk about the down side to Phillips.
12 million, 13 million and 14 million. That's a good chunk of change and it's over the next three years.
He's 33 and has clearly lost his baserunning speed.
He doesn't hit right handers well.
.....He's polarizing. You never know what he is going to say. ...
He seemed to be involved in running Josh Hamilton out of town.
He's been hurt the last couple of years.

The good.....
He wants to be here.
While he may have lost a step or two on the basepaths, he's still a very good fielder.
We're not talking about a good firstbaseman or leftfielder. He's a very good secondbaseman.
That does have some value.
He murders lefties.
Brandon Phillips is one of the few players who has the willingness and the ability to adapt his approach to where you put him in the order. I think that ....well I hate to use the word humbleness, but it really does fit.....is also worth something. You put him at cleanup and he goes out of his way to hit for power and drive runs in. You put him at the top of the order and he tries to get on base. He's adaptable.

So, he's not useless, but it's been a couple years since 80 RBI or more and 7 years since 24 or more HR. He's clearly failing as a ballplayer, but he's been adaptable in the past and may get away with a DH type transformation like Molitor. Of course....that would mean leaving town. I think he's in the league in 2 years and gone in 4. I think that's realistic.

I don't think Brandon Phillips the player on the field is really a problem for the reds. Sure, he could hit a cliff, but any player can fail.

On the other hand, Brandon Phillips the contract is an problem. There is no way he earns out 2 of those last three years and when you go to build a team and you have this much money tied up in what's not star production, you'll have issues.

I'll call Brandon Phillips the man a tie. Other fanbases may not like him and much of what we've seen/heard from the clubhouse isn't complementary, but there are a lot of folks in town who love him and driving up to Monroe to see a kids little league game....well, more players like that is find by me.

bobbitt15
03-06-2015, 02:43 PM
The footspeed thing has definitely been clear the last couple seasons. I'm interested to see if the weight he dropped in the off-season turns back the clock a little bit in that regard

alexad
03-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Before the big contracts were signed everyone said we have to sign them or else. Now that is js else everybody now say they are bad contracts.

CUETO is the same thing. Is he an or else or let him go guy.

JoshBresser
03-08-2015, 03:40 PM
First of all....
Phillips isn't going anyplace that he doesn't want to go to. He's got 10/5 rights and can veto any trade. He's well thought of by the fan base in town and has pretty much played his entire career here. I don't know why he would want to go away unless you paid him more money. I don't know how much that would be, but any "deal" you've put together that doesn't include that cash will not happen.

That said....lets talk about the down side to Phillips.
12 million, 13 million and 14 million. That's a good chunk of change and it's over the next three years.
He's 33 and has clearly lost his baserunning speed.
He doesn't hit right handers well.
.....He's polarizing. You never know what he is going to say. ...
He seemed to be involved in running Josh Hamilton out of town.
He's been hurt the last couple of years.

The good.....
He wants to be here.
While he may have lost a step or two on the basepaths, he's still a very good fielder.
We're not talking about a good firstbaseman or leftfielder. He's a very good secondbaseman.
That does have some value.
He murders lefties.
Brandon Phillips is one of the few players who has the willingness and the ability to adapt his approach to where you put him in the order. I think that ....well I hate to use the word humbleness, but it really does fit.....is also worth something. You put him at cleanup and he goes out of his way to hit for power and drive runs in. You put him at the top of the order and he tries to get on base. He's adaptable.

So, he's not useless, but it's been a couple years since 80 RBI or more and 7 years since 24 or more HR. He's clearly failing as a ballplayer, but he's been adaptable in the past and may get away with a DH type transformation like Molitor. Of course....that would mean leaving town. I think he's in the league in 2 years and gone in 4. I think that's realistic.

I don't think Brandon Phillips the player on the field is really a problem for the reds. Sure, he could hit a cliff, but any player can fail.

On the other hand, Brandon Phillips the contract is an problem. There is no way he earns out 2 of those last three years and when you go to build a team and you have this much money tied up in what's not star production, you'll have issues.

I'll call Brandon Phillips the man a tie. Other fanbases may not like him and much of what we've seen/heard from the clubhouse isn't complementary, but there are a lot of folks in town who love him and driving up to Monroe to see a kids little league game....well, more players like that is find by me.

Phillips hit .229/.292/.303 last year against lefties. That barely constitutes petty larceny, much less murder.

Regardless of whether he adapts his approach to where he hits, below average is still below average.

Agree that the contract is a problem.