PDA

View Full Version : 4K UHD TV experience

powersackers
01-12-2015, 10:50 AM
After the holidays my wife and I went out and got a Samsung UN50HU8550 for about $1800. It's a 50 inch 120hz 4K UHD 3D LED TV. I had my dad over to help me mount it to the wall and run the cables through the wall as well as add a power outlet for it.

I just wanted to comment how amazing it is for anyone on the fence about a TV purchase and to go 4K or not. Paired with a Sony 3D blu ray player (because Samsung's were out of stock) I am amazed at how clear and exciting content is shown on this display. 4K content is hard to find, but I've streamed clips from netflix and youtube. The 3D is so good it makes you LOL when something jumps out at you like the opening scene of Transformers Age of Extinction or some clips on youtube where this kid points a sword at you, or holds out a $5 bill that looks like it's sitting on your nose.

Even normal 1080p content on AT&T cable or Netflix is "upscaled" to 4K. I'm not sure technically what that means, but it's noticeably better than 1080p. I watched a 21 year old Movie, The Addams Family, last night and it felt like I was watching a movie released this year - crystal clear HD.

Also, the TVs now have voice control to change channels, RF to control all your remotes. Watch content via blu tooth from your SmartPhone. And tons of apps like MLB.TV and others. Plus there's a Wii like feature on the remote too.

Anyway. If you're in the market, and you're a cinephile like me, it's not too early to make the jump to UHD 4K in my opinion. You won't regret it.