PDA

View Full Version : Better Call Saul!

RedEye
02-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Any other Breaking Bad fans out there who are excited about the pilot of its eagerly awaited spinoff on Sun/Mon? It has gotten great reviews and, of course, has a great website:

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

dougdirt
02-07-2015, 11:46 PM
It's been on my calendar for months. Can't wait.

RedEye
02-07-2015, 11:47 PM
I love how it is being referred to as an "origin story" for the character. Very smart way to tackle it, IMO. I hadn't really thought of Breaking Bad in that light, but I suppose it makes sense. Kind of like the "making of" a super criminal, Walter White.

Brutus
02-08-2015, 03:00 AM
I think I mentioned a couple years ago in the Breaking Bad thread how much I wanted this to happen... so yeah, I'm ready!

The reviews of the first few episodes have been universally tremendous.

medford
02-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Loved when they introduced the character into the show, looking forward to the series. Part me wonders how much, if any cameos we'll see from others in Breaking Bad. They could treat it like "Easter eggs" where its most unnoticeable, perhaps some small character that was only in a few brief issues just sitting in a restaurant as part of the "background" or amp it up a little to have some one like Badger sitting in a car as Saul stops at a red light, etc... Of course if they do too much of that stuff, it can quickly detract from the show. I'm sure the thought of cameos has been broached; wonder how they'll handle it.

dougdirt
02-08-2015, 10:01 PM
It is time!

RBA
02-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Have it recording. Will watch it after Bar Rescue I recorded.

RedEye
02-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Loved when they introduced the character into the show, looking forward to the series. Part me wonders how much, if any cameos we'll see from others in Breaking Bad. They could treat it like "Easter eggs" where its most unnoticeable, perhaps some small character that was only in a few brief issues just sitting in a restaurant as part of the "background" or amp it up a little to have some one like Badger sitting in a car as Saul stops at a red light, etc... Of course if they do too much of that stuff, it can quickly detract from the show. I'm sure the thought of cameos has been broached; wonder how they'll handle it.

Badger already makes a "cameo" on the show's website and I believe Mike from my avatar actually has a recurrent role... so they certainly aren't shying away from overlaps with BB.

Brutus
02-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Tuco?! Oh snap!

dougdirt
02-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Well, that got interesting.

Brutus
02-08-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm overly pleased with that first episode. Very impressed.

Chip R
02-08-2015, 11:26 PM
That was pretty good. I'm interested to see how Mike gets involved and how Jimmy/Saul progresses as an attorney.

Razor Shines
02-09-2015, 12:02 AM
I could really go for a cinnamon roll and some meth.

19braves77
02-10-2015, 12:13 AM
The Pilot was great. Gilligan and friends are probably going to get all their projects green lighted.

"Cucumber water for customers only”

dougdirt
02-10-2015, 12:32 AM
There's another new episode tomorrow, right? RIGHT?!

I don't want to wait a week.

Bob Sheed
02-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Great show, couldn't be happier. Stands on its own too. No need to have watched BB.

bounty37h
02-10-2015, 09:53 AM
I am going to have to try to watch it again-tried it last night but honestly was so bored I didn't care to follow it. I also was tired and have had a hard week already, so may not have been in the right frame of mind to give it more of a chance then I did.

Caveat Emperor
02-10-2015, 01:54 PM
I went 5+ years hearing people incessantly talk about Breaking Bad.

It finally (mercifully) goes off the air, and now this...

I can't win.

dougdirt
02-10-2015, 09:42 PM

I can't win.

Befriend more robots.

02-12-2015, 01:49 AM
I'll be honest. I really liked episode 1, but was really disappointed by episode 2. It just got too violent, too dark, too crazy, too unbelievable, too fast. Just not my cup of tea.

RedEye
02-12-2015, 07:03 AM

I can't win.

Never thought to give the show a try?

Brutus
02-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Never thought to give the show a try?

Apparently he doesn't want to be viewed as a conformist!

Brutus
02-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Befriend more robots.

Probably wouldn't work. Robots Weekly called Breaking Bad the "most talked-about show of 2013" in a poll of bots.

dabvu2498
02-12-2015, 11:59 PM
I liked it, but I didn't love it. Some serious scene chewing going on. The first two hours probably would have made a nice 90 minute episode.

Ohayou
02-13-2015, 03:32 AM
I think it's on a par with Breaking Bad so far, just at a different pace. It wouldn't surprise me to see Odenkirk go on an Emmy run like Cranston (depending on how long this series lasts).

Also, how hilarious was it seeing the guy that Tuco beat to death show up and step out of line? :laugh:

GAC
02-13-2015, 04:57 AM
Have it recording. Will watch it after Bar Rescue I recorded.

I really don't watch much TV, but I do like Bar Rescue (I don't DVR it though). And as far as all these "serials" and reality shows? I can honestly say I haven't (don't) watch 99.9% of them. I just can't make the "commitment". I watched "The Walking Dead" for the first year or so - and did like it - but even with the convenience of Directv (DVRing) I still always found myself several episodes behind, and always felt this "obligation", which was hard to do on my part, of trying to get caught up.

I've never seen Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and myriads of all the other popular shows. I think the only one I really enjoyed (because I'm a Western addict) - and I bought the DVD set - was Deadwood.

I am making the effort currently, since it's now available on AMC ON-Demand, and I love history, in trying to watch the first season of "Turn:Washington Spies".

I have to admit, they've done a fantastic job of "repacking" the concept of Soap Operas (LOL).

bucksfan2
02-13-2015, 12:12 PM
I watched the first 4 or so seasons of Breaking Bad either on Netflix or a DVR'd season. The glory of that is you can watch a number at a time, if you watch a bad episode you have another one lined up. I felt that there were a few episodes of BB that were slow, drawn out, and pretty boring that set the ground work for a number of exciting episodes. If wonder if Better Call Saul is the same way?

I enjoyed the first two, I loved seeing Tuco, I liked the wit of Saul trying to save the kids life. I am interested to see how he goes from James to Saul, which I think maybe a little more difficult because viewers know Saul Goodman from a previous show.

Chip R
02-15-2015, 04:44 PM
To my regret, I was a late comer to BB. I didn't want to watch a show that glorified - for lack of a better word - illegal drugs. I kept hearing how good it was so I finally gave in and started watching it. Even if you're not interested in the plot, the cinematography is superb. I think I started watching when they added Jonathan Banks to the cast since I was a big fan of his from Wiseguy.

I'm going to be interested to see Jimmy's evolution from low rent Jimmy to amoral Saul. In his first appearance on BB he suggested Badger get whacked. That's a long ways from where Jimmy is now. I'm obviously interested to see Mike's evolution. IIRC, he was Gus' fixer in BB, not Saul's.

marcshoe
02-15-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm on season 2 of bb now. I'm slow. What's bad is that I watched the first episode when it aired then didn't have time to keep up.

Caveat Emperor
02-18-2015, 02:35 PM
To my regret, I was a late comer to BB. I didn't want to watch a show that glorified - for lack of a better word - illegal drugs. I kept hearing how good it was so I finally gave in and started watching it. Even if you're not interested in the plot, the cinematography is superb. I think I started watching when they added Jonathan Banks to the cast since I was a big fan of his from Wiseguy.

I had a close family member battling cancer when the show started airing (passed away ~3 years ago). The storyline hit a little to close to home.

RedEye
02-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Really liked the first two episodes. Looking forward to seeing the third one soon.

Jimmy is such an interestingly different character than Walt White. He's a bit softer and less able to deceive when he tries to manipulate others. Odenkirk is brilliant at showing the different levels of discomfort on his face as things play out. With Cranston, it was all about the clenched jaw and the squinty eyes and with Odenkirk we get the pained smirks and nervous hand gestures. Jimmy seems far less likely to lash out than Walt -- I half expect him to have a nervous breakdown instead. He's like a quivering bowl of jello compared with Cranston's coiled spring.

This is really going to be fun to watch. Gilligan is clearly a master of his craft.

marcshoe
02-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Just watched the first episode on British Netflix (Hola is great). Loved the very end. I'm assuming that most will be explained eventually, but did I miss something regarding the opening scene? Anyway, I've followed Odenkirk since The Ben Stiller Show, and I'm looking forward to this.

btw, I also like The Birthday Boys, which I never seem to hear anyone talk about.

Chip R
02-19-2015, 09:54 AM
There is a Twitter feud going on between two AAA baseball teams over this show. The Omaha Storm Chasers and the Albuquerque Isotopes have been going at it over this show.

http://callsaulnow.com/2015/02/18/better-call-saul-caused-twitter-battle-two-baseball-teams/

Brutus
02-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Just watched the first episode on British Netflix (Hola is great). Loved the very end. I'm assuming that most will be explained eventually, but did I miss something regarding the opening scene? Anyway, I've followed Odenkirk since The Ben Stiller Show, and I'm looking forward to this.

btw, I also like The Birthday Boys, which I never seem to hear anyone talk about.

Did you mean the opening scene of the first episode or this latest episode from Monday? If you mean the first episode, that opening scene makes more sense once you've seen Breaking Bad all the way through.

Razor Shines
02-19-2015, 06:05 PM
Did you mean the opening scene of the first episode or this latest episode from Monday? If you mean the first episode, that opening scene makes more sense once you've seen Breaking Bad all the way through.

Oh, I think he meant the opening scene of the series. Yeah, I completely overlooked the fact that if you haven't watched all of Breaking Bad that scene would be very confusing.

marcshoe
02-20-2015, 02:53 AM
I found the explanation. I'm still on season 2 of Breaking Bad, so I was confused. I assumed this scene belonged in the new BCS timeline.

sonny
02-24-2015, 08:36 PM
So in Ep 4- Did Slipping Jimmy orchestrate the billboard thing or is it obvious he did it and I'm making it too difficult on myself?

RFS62
02-24-2015, 08:53 PM
He did it. Genius. Evil genius.

I'm loving this show.

Razor Shines
02-25-2015, 01:20 AM
So in Ep 4- Did Slipping Jimmy orchestrate the billboard thing or is it obvious he did it and I'm making it too difficult on myself?

Yeah, he orchestrated it. After Jimmy pulled the guy to safety, he slipped him some cash as they slapped five.

This was my favorite episode so far and I've loved them all.

sonny
02-25-2015, 07:36 AM
In loving his gradual decent into the dark side. Just replace Jimmy with Anakin and its way better than the SW Prequels.

Saul good, man!

RedEye
02-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Loving the show, too. One question: do we know what is up with brother Chuck McGill? Does he have some sort of mental illness or is it a real physical thing? I lean toward the former, but I am curious what others think. Perhaps this is just another thing the writers are withholding to keep the pages turning...

OesterPoster
02-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Awesome show so far. For those of you who enjoy good podcasts, I suggest the Better Call Saul official insider podcast. I had a long drive last week, and that episode's podcast killed an hour of driving like it was nothing at all. They reveal a lot of little tidbits about characters, casting, storylines, etc. It's really cool for Breaking Bad geeks, as they've got Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan on each show, and usually a writer or two, and one actor. They have to keep catching themselves talking too much about BB and getting back to their Better Call Saul stories. Everything is so intertwined, it's hard to keep them separate.

sonny
02-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Loving the show, too. One question: do we know what is up with brother Chuck McGill? Does he have some sort of mental illness or is it a real physical thing? I lean toward the former, but I am curious what others think. Perhaps this is just another thing the writers are withholding to keep the pages turning...

It seems psychosomatic with the
Scene of him going under the powerlines. I certainly would like to know the genesis of his condition. I wonder if Jimmy is to blame somehow?

RedEye
02-27-2015, 12:52 PM
It seems psychosomatic with the
Scene of him going under the powerlines. I certainly would like to know the genesis of his condition. I wonder if Jimmy is to blame somehow?

I think it is one of the central enigmas of the show so far -- I just wasn't sure if I somehow missed something in the first few episodes. Right now, it seems like he's either crazy or has some sort of real condition. Maybe both. I hadn't thought of the idea that Jimmy might have something material to do with how he is; I kind of just thought he was trying to look after an older brother who helped him out when he was in jail. I could be wrong and that would be a fascinating turn for the plot, for sure.

Redsfaithful
02-28-2015, 08:09 PM
About the brother:

http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/the-town-without-wi-fi/

sonny
02-28-2015, 08:37 PM
About the brother:

Wow, great find!

Since Vince Gilligan always seems to have a reason for stuff like this, I wonder how it plays out in the larger story?

Brutus
03-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Prediction: Mike's issues with being fired in Philadelphia from the force will somehow tie in to (what I assume is) his daughter and also the half-measures speech he gave Walter in the 3rd season of Breaking Bad.

Ohayou
03-03-2015, 06:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that's Mike's daughter in law. His granddaughter does have Mike's last name, which would indicate that she is the child of Mike's son, whom I'm guessing was murdered back in Philly.

Just a theory.

sonny
03-03-2015, 11:56 AM
I wish I'd invented the sex toilet.

RedEye
03-08-2015, 07:27 PM
About the brother:

Wow! Great sleuth work, RF. This really is one of the more interesting parts of the show to me right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Prediction: Mike's issues with being fired in Philadelphia from the force will somehow tie in to (what I assume is) his daughter and also the half-measures speech he gave Walter in the 3rd season of Breaking Bad.

And hence the reason for my avatar and the words beneath it... :thumbup:

RedEye
03-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Jonathan Banks (Mike) with a great interview on Fresh Air today...

http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2015/03/09/391891453/fresh-air-for-march-9-2015

Chip R
03-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Great episode tonight. Jonathan Banks was unforgettable.

LoganBuck
03-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Jonathan Banks was Emmy good last night. Wowza.

Brutus
03-10-2015, 02:19 PM
I probably had higher hopes for this show than some, as I trusted Vince, Peter and the writers to deliver (again), despite the natural reservations about spin-offs. However, even for as much as I believed this show would do well, I never imagined we'd see such a powerful episode as we did last night. That was tremendous. Lost in the deep emotional scenes was the fluffier interrogation room scene; I thought the way they played Saul and Mike together in that room was brilliant. It went a long way to establishing Mike's trust in Saul.

Great, great episode. Simply wonderful television.

Redsfaithful
03-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Jonathan Banks is the best.

bucksfan2
03-13-2015, 01:55 PM
I don't know what it is that Vince Gilligan does, but it really gets me to keep coming back. Too many times I can't place why I am so enthralled with an episode, but I can't wait for the next one to come out. I remember thinking about episode 5, I just couldn't wait until the next one. The character development of Jimmy (Saul) has been fantastic, it has been funny at times, sad at other times, but even knowing what Jimmy turns out to be you keep rooting for him. SPOILER ALERT I remember when Jimmy finds the family in the tent and they are offering him money, I kept hoping that he wouldn't take it, knowing full well that he heads down that path.

Chip R
03-13-2015, 04:05 PM
I don't know what it is that Vince Gilligan does, but it really gets me to keep coming back. Too many times I can't place why I am so enthralled with an episode, but I can't wait for the next one to come out. I remember thinking about episode 5, I just couldn't wait until the next one. The character development of Jimmy (Saul) has been fantastic, it has been funny at times, sad at other times, but even knowing what Jimmy turns out to be you keep rooting for him. SPOILER ALERT I remember when Jimmy finds the family in the tent and they are offering him money, I kept hoping that he wouldn't take it, knowing full well that he heads down that path.

It's amazing how these showrunners - not just Gilligan - get us to root for a guy if we ran across in real life, would never root for. Guys like Walter White, Tony Soprano, Al Swearingen, Don Draper, Vic Mackey, Boyd Crowder, Jimmy/Saul, Mike Ehrmantrout and Stringer Bell to name a few. They do a helluva job of manipulating us to like these people.

RedEye
03-18-2015, 12:18 PM
It's amazing how these showrunners - not just Gilligan - get us to root for a guy if we ran across in real life, would never root for. Guys like Walter White, Tony Soprano, Al Swearingen, Don Draper, Vic Mackey, Boyd Crowder, Jimmy/Saul, Mike Ehrmantrout and Stringer Bell to name a few. They do a helluva job of manipulating us to like these people.

Interesting. Yes, if I knew all the stuff about these people that I know on the shows, I'd have a hard time being friends with them. But some of them -- particularly Stringer Bell, Tony Soprano and Jimmy/Saul -- seem to have charismatic sides that would play right in particular circumstances. I could see grabbing a beer with either of those guys as a person. Jimmy would just crack me up and Stringer is just such a charming badass.

But yeah -- Draper would be impossible to hang out with because he'd just be wasted and hitting on women the whole time and Ehrmantrout and White both seem to have the charisma of door knobs. It is because these characters are so well-wrought that we root for them despite their flaws. Masterful television, as many have said.

vaticanplum
03-20-2015, 03:35 PM
But yeah -- Draper would be impossible to hang out with because he'd just be wasted and hitting on women the whole time

It seems that the essence of Don Draper's appeal is going right over your head :p

sonny
03-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Mike's money scene was well done. If he doesn't get at least an Emmy nod for the last two episodes, I'm boycotting the Walking Dead *

*i don't watch the Walking Dead

RedEye
03-22-2015, 12:48 AM
It seems that the essence of Don Draper's appeal is going right over your head :p

Ha! No, I get the appeal but I just don't see him as a very nice person.

Chip R
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM
But yeah -- Draper would be impossible to hang out with because he'd just be wasted and hitting on women the whole time and Ehrmantrout and White both seem to have the charisma of door knobs.

The thing about Draper is he rarely hits on women. They hit on him. Probably wouldn't be any less annoying.

RedEye
03-22-2015, 09:37 PM
The thing about Draper is he rarely hits on women. They hit on him.

That's what it seems like... but the dude has mad looks and mad game. He uses both. :D

And he also just seems like a jackass. An interesting jackass to watch a show about, but still...

vaticanplum
03-23-2015, 12:39 PM
That's what it seems like... but the dude has mad looks and mad game. He uses both. :D

And he also just seems like a jackass. An interesting jackass to watch a show about, but still...

It's the air of mystery and those weird hints of a moral compass that I think make up the basis of his appeal, even more so than his looks or success. I would say that this works even better when it's distilled down for television, but who am I kidding, it works in real life too.

Pete Campbell is also a wholly unlikable character but has those hints of appeal based on his very clear need to be loved. It's the exact opposite of Don, there is no mystery about Pete whatsoever, and he is mostly bereft of a moral compass, but you get the sense that you could switch it on if you let yourself sincerely love him. The truly unlikable, morally bereft womanizer who uses his game is actually Roger Sterling, but he gets by on just flat-out charm. This show is very smart in assigning each of its males a little bit of each quality just enough to make you not hate them.

Disclaimer: I started watching Mad Men all of eight days ago.

RedEye
03-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Disclaimer: I started watching Mad Men all of eight days ago.

LOL. Caught up yet? :)

Love your analysis of those three characters. It really is a character-driven show, and you nailed the appeal of each of those male leads. I think as the show wears on, the female characters become more and more important and interesting.

vaticanplum
03-23-2015, 02:24 PM

Love your analysis of those three characters. It really is a character-driven show, and you nailed the appeal of each of those male leads. I think as the show wears on, the female characters become more and more important and interesting.

I'm through two seasons already. Don't judge, I've been sick :p

I think it's just terrific. The women are already so interesting...I love that you get to see them forge their way through the limitations imposed upon them by their time and surroundings and also by identities they've slapped on themselves or have had put on them. They seem that much more independent for figuring out ways to become themselves while still adhering to a lot of what's expected of them (or at times intentionally disregarding it). Funnily enough, so much of what the men do is dictated by how they want to be seen by women and what they want their relationships with women to be (and other men of course), so they're not as different in that regard as the societal constructs would lead us to believe.

I haven't seen Better Call Saul yet, but a lot of Mad Men does remind me of Breaking Bad in how meticulously the storylines are put together and in the way little pebbles are dropped for aspects of characters and stories that become monumental later on.

LoganBuck
03-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Chuck!

Brutus
03-24-2015, 02:15 AM
Is the shady vet about to give Mike the hookup with Gus? I say yes. My feeling all along was we'd see Gus as a cliffhanger at the very end of the first season. I'm sticking with that. Giancarlo Esposito has been very vocal on Twitter about wanting to reprise his role of Gus, almost to the point where he's been coy. I think he knows something we don't.

Redsfaithful
03-24-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm not saying I mind the crime aspect of the show, but I'd also totally watch a non-serial legal drama featuring Jimmy McGill.

OesterPoster
03-24-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm not saying I mind the crime aspect of the show, but I'd also totally watch a non-serial legal drama featuring Jimmy McGill.

They'll probably have to kick off another prequel to this prequel, only it'll be about the Kettlemans.

Saw the news about The X-Files today, and I really hope Vince Gilligan gets involved with at least one of those episodes.

Kingspoint
03-24-2015, 04:31 PM

I was highly disappointed that Don's second wife got so much television time. I also would have liked to have seen Sal's character expanded more.

The most interesting part is that Lion's Gate wanted to fire 30% of the staff and add a zillion more commercials, even bribing Matthew Weiner with more money to get him to agree to do it. But, in the end Weiner held out and got to keep his characters and his episode time.

Razor Shines
03-24-2015, 09:56 PM

Absolutely. I find myself nearly every week thinking "that was my favorite episode", well this week's show was my favorite episode. I love the pace of the series so far. We all know it's building to something but they're in no hurry to get there and nor should they be.

RedEye
03-28-2015, 01:29 PM
I was highly disappointed that Don's second wife got so much television time. I also would have liked to have seen Sal's character expanded more.

The most interesting part is that Lion's Gate wanted to fire 30% of the staff and add a zillion more commercials, even bribing Matthew Weiner with more money to get him to agree to do it. But, in the end Weiner held out and got to keep his characters and his episode time.

Totally agree about Sal. I keep expecting him to show up again briefly, but it seems less and less likely.

Razor Shines
03-31-2015, 06:36 PM
Poor Slippin Jimmy.

LoganBuck
04-08-2015, 10:44 PM
The finale was a disappointment to me. I know that they have to service the cannon, but I was left wanting more.

Kingspoint
04-09-2015, 01:22 AM
Not bad, considering the high expectations for the show.

Brutus
04-09-2015, 03:40 AM
The finale was a disappointment to me. I know that they have to service the cannon, but I was left wanting more.

I was expecting a bigger cliffhanger, but I thought it was a nice finale.

That said, although subtle, the Mike phone conversation was a pretty huge hint (GUS!)

As I saw speculated on Reddit: E10 Marco... E11... Pollo?

bucksfan2
04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
I didn't care for the ending. I guess Jimmy had to break bad for a while but I started to really pull for his character.

06-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Great episode tonight. Jonathan Banks was unforgettable.

I'm way behind and just watched this episode. Wow.

It made me wonder if Gilligan would have made a better choice by building the prequel around Mike. He's just a far more complex and interesting character than Slippin' Jimmy. He's that classic, quiet, hardened, flawed character, that you can't stop rooting for. Very John Wayne-seque.

RedEye
06-18-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm way behind and just watched this episode. Wow.

It made me wonder if Gilligan would have made a better choice by building the prequel around Mike. He's just a far more complex and interesting character than Slippin' Jimmy. He's that classic, quiet, hardened, flawed character, that you can't stop rooting for. Very John Wayne-seque.

I actually really like the choice of Jimmy. Mike is great as a complimentary character (I'm obviously a huge fan) but I think the character might wear a little thin as the lead. His sangfroid is more effective when contrasted with the emotiveness of others like Jesse or Jimmy.