PDA

View Full Version : SNL 40

Razor Shines
02-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Anybody interested in this at all? I'm certainly gonna watch not sure where my expectation level is though.

dougdirt
02-15-2015, 09:10 PM
The first hour left me dehydrated from all of the crying I was doing from laughing so much.

dougdirt
02-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Hour two was not nearly as good as hour one.

15fan
02-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Melissa McCarthy as Matt Foley was great.

Razor Shines
02-15-2015, 10:04 PM
I excited to hear that Eddie Murphy was gonna be there.....thanks for stopping by Eddie.

Razor Shines
02-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Norm McDonald back as Burt Reynolds in Celebrity Jeopardy was worth the whole show.

Dom Heffner
02-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Turd Ferguson.

KronoRed
02-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Can't wait for my super bass-o-matic to get here.

RFS62
02-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Of all the possibilities available, Miley Cyrus singing 50 ways to leave your lover?

McCartney's voice was really off tonight.

Le tits now

Celebrity Jeopardy may be the greatest skit in tv history. Never disappoints.

Razor Shines
02-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Ok, the Seinfeld Q&A bit was great, especially him and Larry.

Joseph
02-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Highlights
Jeopardy. Ferrell, MacDonald, and Hammond never disappoint. I was even watching the titles trying to figure out which ones Connery would butcher and didn't see them coming.
Opening with JT and Fallon was pretty damn good.
Ed Norton as Stefan
Seinfeld Q&A. All good stuff, Michael Douglas, Goodman, Tim Meadows....
Pure nostalgia of Bass-o-Matic and Bill Murray singing Jaws theme with Paul Schaefer

Lowlights
Emma Stone as Gilda. Love the idea, the execution lacked though.
Eddie Murphy not doing anything funny [so far]. Not even a joke or an impression? Just the same comment we've heard about it being like a high school reunion. Get him back to host Lorne.
Miley....really?

Tom Servo
02-15-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm an unapologetic Andy Samberg/Lonely Island fan, and that was the funniest 'original' part of the episode tonight.

Razor Shines
02-15-2015, 11:18 PM
How many Kanye jokes have there been so far tonight?

dougdirt
02-16-2015, 12:32 AM
I'm an unapologetic Andy Samberg/Lonely Island fan, and that was the funniest 'original' part of the episode tonight.

We made a movie together that bombed.

top6
02-16-2015, 08:33 AM
We made a movie together that bombed.

Why would you bring that up?

WildcatFan
02-17-2015, 08:58 AM
The show was stolen by Martin Short, as he is wont to do. I'm an unabashed SNL apologist and still don't miss an episode, and I was thrilled that the current cast was so well represented. They've got some real talent out there right now.

edabbs44
02-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Here's another one of Fallon and Sanz.

Chip R
02-17-2015, 12:36 PM
How far has Eddie Murphy fallen?

KronoRed
02-17-2015, 02:42 PM
How far has Eddie Murphy fallen?

He comes across like he's glad that he was on SNL but he hates everything about it.

RedTeamGo!
02-17-2015, 04:47 PM
People complain too much about SNL. That was a quality show on sunday.

I have read online that my least favorite moment of the night, The Californians, is loved by people on the west coast and hated by people on the east coast.

I think that makes sense, and it made me think about how much people on the west coast have probably hated all those skits throughout the years about the east coast.

- - - Updated - - -

He comes across like he's glad that he was on SNL but he hates everything about it.

He is still bitter about the David Spade thing, has been for 20 years.

NebraskaRed
02-17-2015, 05:19 PM

I have read online that my least favorite moment of the night, The Californians, is loved by people on the west coast and hated by people on the east coast.

I think that makes sense, and it made me think about how much people on the west coast have probably hated all those skits throughout the years about the east coast.

- - - Updated - - -

I've spent a good part of my life in California. I find that skit hilarious. Part of it is how often they discuss directions or locations. It's a characteristic of Californians (especially Southern Californians) that I never noticed before they made fun of it. It's very accurate, though.

RichRed
02-17-2015, 07:22 PM
I enjoyed the show. It was everything SNL is supposed to be: funny, messy, irreverent, sometimes not funny, and uneven. Great TV, in other words.

Razor Shines
02-17-2015, 08:59 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've been guilty of being too critical of SNL at times but in reality writing good skits for Network TV (even late night) is really hard. I watched all 3 plus hours and laughed a lot.

BuckeyeRed27
02-17-2015, 10:27 PM
I've spent a good part of my life in California. I find that skit hilarious. Part of it is how often they discuss directions or locations. It's a characteristic of Californians (especially Southern Californians) that I never noticed before they made fun of it. It's very accurate, though.

The Californians is hilarious. This wasn't their best one but still like it.

"You sure know a lot about Marina del Rey!" Kills me.

I enjoyed 40 it was uneven but certainly worth the watch.

RichRed
02-18-2015, 09:20 AM
The Californians is hilarious. This wasn't their best one but still like it.

"You sure know a lot about Marina del Rey!" Kills me.

I enjoyed 40 it was uneven but certainly worth the watch.

I'm a lifelong East Coaster who thinks "The Californians" is great. It almost always goes on too long, but it never fails to make me laugh, even though I'm usually thinking, "Why am I laughing at this ridiculousness?" Sometimes things just hit the old funny bone the right way.

cumberlandreds
02-18-2015, 10:09 AM
NBC is showing this again Friday night at 8 pm. I missed it the first time around. I have the DVR set this time.

BuckeyeRed27
02-18-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm a lifelong East Coaster who thinks "The Californians" is great. It almost always goes on too long, but it never fails to make me laugh, even though I'm usually thinking, "Why am I laughing at this ridiculousness?" Sometimes things just hit the old funny bone the right way.

I always admire their commitment to get the actual freeway routes correct.

cumberlandreds
02-18-2015, 01:29 PM
I can remember when SNL started. I didn't watch at first but did after hearing others talk about it. That first cast is still the best, IMO. If you have the 1975 World Series videos they mention this new show on Saturday nights. The show has ebbed and flowed over the years. Some casts weren't very good at all while some where terrific. Its amazing how its endured and stood the test of time.

Razor Shines
02-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Norm Macdonald gives a really cool behind the scenes look at the week at SNL. Explains the Eddie Murphy thing.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/norm-macdonald-eddie-murphy-was-to-be-cosby-in-celebri-1686686768

Bob Sheed
02-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Norm Macdonald gives a really cool behind the scenes look at the week at SNL. Explains the Eddie Murphy thing.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/norm-macdonald-eddie-murphy-was-to-be-cosby-in-celebri-1686686768

Yep, I read that too. Great stuff.

Murphy would have brought the house down if he did his Cosby impression. Keenan Thompson took it as far as he could, which of course, wasn't very far. Norm said it best. Eddie just doesn't need the laughs anymore, and didn't want to kick Cosby when he is down.

dougdirt
02-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Norm said it best. Eddie just doesn't need the laughs anymore, and didn't want to kick Cosby when he is down.

Some people need to be kicked when they are down. Where there's burning oil fields of smoke, there's fire.

Dom Heffner
02-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Some people need to be kicked when they are down. Where there's burning oil fields of smoke, there's fire.

Precisely- Murphy has played it safe to the point where it's landed him nowhere.

He's a shell.

Larry Schuler
02-20-2015, 10:45 PM
It has to be tough when success and society dictate that you MUST SPEAK FOR YOUR ENTIRE RACE OR COMMUNITY. The two biggest names to attack Cosby are Hannibal Burress who is an unknown (by mainstream's standards) black "alt" comedian and Judd Apatow who is a mainstream white director. I don't think you'll see many high profile black comedians or entertainers like Eddie Murphy or Will Smith etc. join in on white America's "got ya" of Bill Cosby, which is sad because it is one of those rare times when the "got ya" is so justified. But you have to sympathize with folks who might not want to join the parade to tar and feather one of the few respected black figures in entertainment over the last 40 years, even if it's in purpose of justifiably exposing that individual to be a terrible, terrible person. I could see a lot of people just wishing that Cosby would die or disappear so they don't have to be the voice of black people and affirm the white mainstream's schadenfreude.

Dom Heffner
02-20-2015, 10:51 PM

Some people are not comfortable with who they were- Robert Plant and Molly Ringwald come to mind.

Bill Murray embraced it, we love him even more for it.

Eddie is getting what he deserves but he probably doesn't care.

Protecting Cosby- and let's just say it, it's because he's black- is a deeper decision than first glance.

In Murphy's defense, he hasn't been there in 30 years and the first thing he would do is that? That may be a little uncomfortable for him. Cosby paved the way for guys like Murphy, it was a no brainer of a decision for himself, I'm guessing.

It's tough to expect someone who isn't edgy anymore to suddenly be edgy at the expense of who I 'm sure is a personal hero.