PDA

View Full Version : Reds vs. Indians (3/26/2015, 4:05 ET)

JoshBresser
03-26-2015, 11:48 AM
1. Billy Hamilton
2. Joey Votto
3. Todd Frazier
4. Brandon Phillips (DH)
5. Devin Mesoraco
6. Brennan Boesch
7. Chris Dominguez
8. Kris Negron
9. Ivan De Jesus

Michael Lorenzen is on the mound. Paul Maholm to follow.

UPRedsFan
03-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Interesting bottom 4 for comparison. Pulling for DeJesus

RED VAN HOT
03-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Interesting bottom 4 for comparison. Pulling for DeJesus

Me too. I know that a lot of posters favor Dominguez because of his power potential. It is always nice to feel that a pinch hitter has a chance to hit one out. Still, the OBP differential is huge as is the K rate. Moreover, DeJesus is a more versatile defender.

TRF
03-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm also rooting for DeJesus... we have the same last name. :)

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Frazier with a solo dinger in the 1st.
Rocco with one in the 2nd. Hamilton with a rbi and a 2 bagger. Votto with a single plates 2 more. 5-1 in the second.

Red Raindog
03-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Votto fails to walk again --- singles in two instead --go ahead with the selfish Joey jokes

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Lorenzen looking somewhat hittable today. Lots of scalded balls. Only 3 hits, but even the foul balls and outs are smoked.

Another one. Line drive blistering shot....Hamilton snags it. Great grab.

Tom Servo
03-26-2015, 04:46 PM
The Dominguez/De Jesus battle is interesting. Defense is pretty much a wash, neither has much of a glove, though DeJesus can play some shortstop (at least at the AAA level, anyway). Dominguez has more power, DeJesus has more OBP/makes more contact.

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Lorenzen looks like he's starting to settle down. 5-1 Reds heading to the 3rd

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 04:50 PM
The Dominguez/De Jesus battle is interesting. Defense is pretty much a wash, neither has much of a glove, though DeJesus can play some shortstop (at least at the AAA level, anyway). Dominguez has more power, DeJesus has more OBP/makes more contact.

For a bench bat, I want the guy who brings more to the table. That's DeJesus Jr. More versatile and not completely hit or miss with the bat.

thorn
03-26-2015, 04:50 PM
Or maybe he's playing Brandon's style of baseball....:confused:

Tom Servo
03-26-2015, 04:55 PM
That's DeJesus Jr. More versatile and not completely hit or miss with the bat.
Devil's Advocate: Negron mostly fills that niche.

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Devil's Advocate: Negron mostly fills that niche.

To be clear, I meant more versatile with the BAT not the glove. Dominguez is a one trick pony. Power. Niether are good defenders IMO but DeJesus Jr. can get on base numerous ways and isn't anywhere close to the automatic out that Dominguez mostly is. If position availability comes into the discussion between Dominguez/DeJesus then they're looking at the wrong thing IMO.

Negron's niche is designated leather. IMO he's a worse hitter than Cozart.

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 05:00 PM
GRD by Bourne. Grounder to third by Kipnis...Frazier nearly throws it away but Votto pulls it in. 1 down.

2 down after a grounder to 2nd from Murphy. Bourne to third. Santana flies out to left.

5-1 Reds it stays. Lorenzen not exactly sharp...but doing well to limit damage.

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Dominguez leads off with a oppo single. 2 on now after Negron gets plunked for a second time already. Channeling his inner Biggio.

Pitching change. Mark alphabet in. Rzepczysnki. Please oh PLEASE...never pick up this guy. Spelling that will drive me NUTS.

Hamilton with a single off....ummm...Mark, yeah we'll just call him Mark. Bases jacked with nobody out for Vottomatic. Passed ball plates Dominguez. Both runners move up too

Votto grounds out but plates Negron. Frazier with a tapper to Gomes to end the inning. But we add on...7-1 Reds.

03-26-2015, 05:18 PM

I have no idea what the scouting report is on either guy, but based on my observation in a very limited time, DeJesus has a significant advantage with the glove. Dominquez is terrible at 3B, like worse than Juan Francisco terrible. Based on what I saw, I would never play him at 3B in the majors. DeJesus was fine in the field, at the very least, better than Keppinger was defensively. I'd have no problem with the Reds giving DeJesus a start at SS once in while.

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 05:24 PM
I have no idea what the scouting report is on either guy, but based on my observation in a very limited time, DeJesus has a significant advantage with the glove. Dominquez is terrible at 3B, like worse than Juan Francisco terrible. Based on what I saw, I would never play him at 3B in the majors. DeJesus was fine in the field, at the very least, better than Keppinger was defensively. I'd have no problem with the Reds giving DeJesus a start at SS once in while.

Depending on their positions...they're basically average with the glove. Both of them. Nothing great but they won't kill you. But out of position (like Dominguez at third) and their warts shine through. My point was that DeJesus is pretty pedestrian with the glove especially compared to Negron.

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Sorry, getting busy at work. I'm out for PBP.

Red Raindog
03-26-2015, 05:47 PM
FWIW -- Baseball Prospectus has it this was -- using what they call FRAA --- which they state uses play by play data. They count how many plays a player made as well as expected plays for an average player ---

I'm in the crowd that has trouble deciphering defensive metrics

DeJesus at SS -7.4 last year
Cozart at SS +7.3
Negron at AAA SS +1.1 (no rating at SS in MLB) they have him at -.2 for 3B & +.6 at 2B for 2014 MLB

It appears Dominguez only played 1 game at 3B in MLB last year & none in the minors but I was surprised to see him at +1.7 for SS in AAA

So by these numbers DeJesus is left wanting for defense at SS.

more to chew on -

They have BP at +7.7 in 2013 and -7.6 last year --- can't say I thought his defense was that much worse last year --- they do note that other defensive systems and many eyes disagree with their drop in his defense numbers in their system

don't shoot the messenger --

JoshBresser
03-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Anyone know why Votto came out?

Red Raindog
03-26-2015, 05:59 PM

looks like the plan was to empty the bench after a few AB's

_Sir_Charles_
03-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Defensive metrics

Red Raindog
03-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Defensive metrics

or much later :)

Red Raindog
03-26-2015, 06:48 PM
This Adcock guy has some nasty stuff it seems ---

Red Raindog
03-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Villareal now in -- every time I see him pitch I ask myself --- is there a reason he is pitching?

Tom Servo
03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Villareal now in -- every time I see him pitch I ask myself --- is there a reason he is pitching?
Gotta be number 1 with a bullet on list of guys getting the boot to make room on the 40 Man.

texasdave
03-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Gotta be number 1 with a bullet on list of guys getting the boot to make room on the 40 Man.

How about Sean Marshall to the 60-day DL? That seems highly likely.

westofyou
03-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Outfielders need to stretch out their legs, don't they?

- - - Updated - - -

Only guy who knows how to operate the espresso machine?

gilpdawg
03-27-2015, 05:34 PM
FWIW -- Baseball Prospectus has it this was -- using what they call FRAA --- which they state uses play by play data. They count how many plays a player made as well as expected plays for an average player ---

I'm in the crowd that has trouble deciphering defensive metrics

DeJesus at SS -7.4 last year
Cozart at SS +7.3
Negron at AAA SS +1.1 (no rating at SS in MLB) they have him at -.2 for 3B & +.6 at 2B for 2014 MLB

It appears Dominguez only played 1 game at 3B in MLB last year & none in the minors but I was surprised to see him at +1.7 for SS in AAA

So by these numbers DeJesus is left wanting for defense at SS.

more to chew on -

They have BP at +7.7 in 2013 and -7.6 last year --- can't say I thought his defense was that much worse last year --- they do note that other defensive systems and many eyes disagree with their drop in his defense numbers in their system

don't shoot the messenger --

I thought BP lost a bit of range last year, but not that much.