PDA

View Full Version : 3/28/15 vs Cubs Chapman starts

Raisor
03-28-2015, 04:31 PM
Ok the Reds have scored 86 times in the top of the first.

Marty and Thom talking about how they tend to score more when they are patient.

I think they are drunk

50YrRedsFan
03-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Chapman K's the side, top 1. Reds jumping on Gonzalez Germen for 4 runs so far. Bruce reminding me of 2014. K's with bases loaded. Now hitting .188 this spring. Leading team with 13 K's in 32 AB. Germen pulled. Chapman pinch hit for by Negron. Reds finish 1st with a 4-0 lead

hebroncougar
03-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Marty in mid-season form. After Votto K's he makes the comment.......some will tell you strikeouts are more important that RBI's and he and Thom go on the criticize Votto for striking out too much in the spring.

JoshBresser
03-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Marty in mid-season form. After Votto K's he makes the comment.......some will tell you strikeouts are more important that RBI's and he and Thom go on the criticize Votto for striking out too much in the spring.

Can this fossil just retire already?

50YrRedsFan
03-28-2015, 04:50 PM
What do you do with Jay Bruce? He's K'd in 40% of his ab's.

Tom Servo
03-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Nimrod and Nimrod's son.

What do you do with Jay Bruce? He's K'd in 40% of his ab's.
I dunno, what would you do? Cut him?

NeilHamburger
03-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Play him everyday and pray that last year was an aberration, and that spring stats are meaningless.

If at the All Star break it looks like a repeat of last year, then I think you have an issue.

Red Raindog
03-28-2015, 05:36 PM
Play him everyday and pray that last year was an aberration, and that spring stats are meaningless.

If at the All Star break it looks like a repeat of last year, then I think you have an issue.

let's negotiate -- I say Memorial Day and it's panic time ---

GADawg
03-28-2015, 06:05 PM
I'd like to have seen him gain a little confidence this spring....I mean I'd like to have seen him give me a little confidence this spring

Red Raindog
03-28-2015, 06:09 PM
I'd like to have seen him gain a little confidence this spring....I mean I'd like to have seen him give me a little confidence this spring

listened to Marty for a moment today - he was ripping on Bruce that he can't see what Pena does to get on base ---

Larkin Fan
03-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Votto has 2 walks and 2 runs today. Coincidence?

03-28-2015, 07:04 PM
listened to Marty for a moment today - he was ripping on Bruce that he can't see what Pena does to get on base ---

To be honest, I'm worried about Bruce and the shift. The decent BA guys don't seem to have much of a problem with it, but with his low BA, I'm afraid it will be a problem until he adjusts, but he doesn't want to.

JoshBresser
03-28-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm really surprised that Castellini- who claims that negativity has impacted ticket sales- continues to allow Brennaman to insult the Reds' franchise player on a near daily basis. It's actually an embarrassment.

03-28-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm really surprised that Castellini- who claims that negativity has impacted ticket sales- continues to allow Brennaman to insult the Reds' franchise player on a near daily basis. It's actually an embarrassment.

Brennaman is a much bigger part of the Reds franchise than Votto. Plus, controversy is good.

JoshBresser
03-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Brennaman is a much bigger part of the Reds franchise than Votto. Plus, controversy is good.

lmao

03-28-2015, 09:39 PM
lmao

HOF. Been here since 1975. Announced the last three World Champion seasons. I love Votto, and hope one day he becomes as iconic as Brennaman, but it ain't even close as to who has more pull in this organization.

gilpdawg
03-28-2015, 09:59 PM
HOF. Been here since 1975. Announced the last three World Champion seasons. I love Votto, and hope one day he becomes as iconic as Brennaman, but it ain't even close as to who has more pull in this organization.

Marty isn't in the hall of fame, no matter how often he tells you he is.

03-28-2015, 10:33 PM

Yes he is, just like Pete Rose is in the Hall of Fame. He's just not a Hall of Famer. But I get your point.

JoshBresser
03-29-2015, 01:52 AM

How many games has Franchester won the team, again?

Also, he isn't in the HOF.

03-29-2015, 02:02 AM

I don't think it is Marty harping on his hall of fameness. It is everyone else who does. Everyone from the pregame show crew to fellow announcers to the beat writers and the guy who sits outside the ballpark panhandling with the "Why lie- I want beer" sign constantly refer to him as the hall of famer. Probably will be on his gravestone.

03-29-2015, 04:03 AM
How many games has Franchester won the team, again?

Also, he isn't in the HOF.

First, see my above post. Here it is again:

Yes he is, just like Pete Rose is in the Hall of Fame. He's just not a Hall of Famer.

Second, you're missing the point.

Marty has been the voice of the Reds for 40 years. During that time span, there's been at least a dozen Reds players just as, if not more, popular and famous as Votto. If Votto were traded today, fans would be upset, but find another Red to root for, and continue rooting for the Reds. If Marty were fired because he criticized Votto, there would be a revolt, not just amongst the fans, but throughout the journalism world, and within the Reds organization.

In other words, Votto is replaceable and Marty is untouchable.

Raisor
03-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Votto will be here long after Marty is gone

gilpdawg
03-29-2015, 04:39 AM
I don't think it is Marty harping on his hall of fameness. It is everyone else who does. Everyone from the pregame show crew to fellow announcers to the beat writers and the guy who sits outside the ballpark panhandling with the "Why lie- I want beer" sign constantly refer to him as the hall of famer. Probably will be on his gravestone.

And he could put a stop to that if he requested it to be so. "Hey, guys, you know I'm not in the hall right?" And it stops.

gilpdawg
03-29-2015, 04:45 AM

Marty has been the voice of the Reds for 40 years. During that time span, there's been at least a dozen Reds players just as, if not more, popular and famous as Votto. If Votto were traded today, fans would be upset, but find another Red to root for, and continue rooting for the Reds. If Marty were fired because he criticized Votto, there would be a revolt, not just amongst the fans, but throughout the journalism world, and within the Reds organization.

I don't think Marty should be fired, but perhaps management should get in his ear about this. If he's too much of an egomaniac to follow orders, then so be it, but you can't have "the voice of the franchise" being so negative. It's bad for business, and that is the bottom line.

And I know the Marty can do no wrong crowd will start with the "but he tells it like it is" bull crap, but there's a difference between saying, "this guy isn't playing well right now," and outright vendetta holding and horribly misguided bad analysis.

It's kind of sad to me. The guy is one of the best ever at calling the game and he can't stop getting in his own way. I'm not listening to Marty this year unless I can't avoid it. I'll listen to the other crews. And that is sad. I grew up listening to the guy, but this Marty isn't the same Marty I once listened to. The bitterness is too much. I'm out.

Red Raindog
03-29-2015, 07:25 AM
I don't think Marty should be fired, but perhaps management should get in his ear about this. If he's too much of an egomaniac to follow orders, then so be it, but you can't have "the voice of the franchise" being so negative. It's bad for business, and that is the bottom line.

And I know the Marty can do no wrong crowd will start with the "but he tells it like it is" bull crap, but there's a difference between saying, "this guy isn't playing well right now," and outright vendetta holding and horribly misguided bad analysis.

It's kind of sad to me. The guy is one of the best ever at calling the game and he can't stop getting in his own way. I'm not listening to Marty this year unless I can't avoid it. I'll listen to the other crews. And that is sad. I grew up listening to the guy, but this Marty isn't the same Marty I once listened to. The bitterness is too much. I'm out.

been there for a few years now --- mostly turn the sound off or low enough to hear if something exciting happens if I'm not fully engaged in the game.

NebraskaRed
03-29-2015, 07:34 AM

Agreed. This is how I see it, too. He can criticize a player all he wants, but this thing with Votto seems weirdly personal and irrational.

03-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Votto will be here long after Marty is gone

Only because Marty is 72.

03-29-2015, 10:54 AM
And he could put a stop to that if he requested it to be so. "Hey, guys, you know I'm not in the hall right?" And it stops.

Again, for the record, Marty in is the HOF. But he's not a Hall of Famer. They do call him "the hall of famer" sometimes, and you're right, he should correct them when they do. But when they call him, "hall of fame broadcaster" that is accurate.

03-29-2015, 10:59 AM

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a conversation like the one you just spelled out has already happened. But I'm also pretty sure Marty is too much of an egomaniac to care. It probably only made him continue his strange Votto vendetta even longer.

Btw, I'm predicting Marty stops harping on Votto this year, and makes Bruce his whipping boy for not trying to beat the shift.

Red Raindog
03-29-2015, 11:29 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a conversation like the one you just spelled out has already happened. But I'm also pretty sure Marty is too much of an egomaniac to care. It probably only made him continue his strange Votto vendetta even longer.

Btw, I'm predicting Marty stops harping on Votto this year, and makes Bruce his whipping boy for not trying to beat the shift.

I won't take that bet...... I think he's just warming up for it.

JoshBresser
03-29-2015, 11:54 AM

And, from a large portion of the fanbase, there would be a different kind of rioting. Rioting in joy.

I just don't see how it makes sense to say an announcer is a bigger part of the franchise than a player who has been worth nearly 40 WAR over his career and is a guy they're paying 20 million a year to.

At least with other non player entities (Managers, GMs, etc.), you can say that they've had an impact on the scoreboard. But Franchester hasn't won this team anything. He's an entertainer (and, IMO, an un-listenable one for going on 5 years now.) So him being a bigger part of the franchise than Votto is pretty silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, for the record, Marty in is the HOF. But he's not a Hall of Famer. They do call him "the hall of famer" sometimes, and you're right, he should correct them when they do. But when they call him, "hall of fame broadcaster" that is accurate.

He isn't in the HOF lol.

gilpdawg
03-30-2015, 02:52 AM
And, from a large portion of the fanbase, there would be a different kind of rioting. Rioting in joy.

I just don't see how it makes sense to say an announcer is a bigger part of the franchise than a player who has been worth nearly 40 WAR over his career and is a guy they're paying 20 million a year to.

At least with other non player entities (Managers, GMs, etc.), you can say that they've had an impact on the scoreboard. But Franchester hasn't won this team anything. He's an entertainer (and, IMO, an un-listenable one for going on 5 years now.) So him being a bigger part of the franchise than Votto is pretty silly.

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't in the HOF lol.

If Marty is in the baseball hall then I'm in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. After all, I've seen Rush live, and they're in. That's enough right?

Marty won the Frick award. The HOF clearly, very clearly states that winners of the Frick and whatever the writers award is are not to be considered as members of the Hall.

03-30-2015, 11:59 AM
If Marty is in the baseball hall then I'm in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. After all, I've seen Rush live, and they're in. That's enough right?

Marty won the Frick award. The HOF clearly, very clearly states that winners of the Frick and whatever the writers award is are not to be considered as members of the Hall.

Sorry, but as one who has taught a linguist class, I have to correct you guys here.

Marty is in the MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Marty in the spot where they recognize the Ford Frick winners. Similarly, Joey Votto is in then MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Votto in the spot where they recognize the NL MVP winners.

Neither of them are members of the Hall of Fame, nor are they "hall of famers." But they both absolutely are in the Hall of Fame. It also is correct to call Marty a Hall of Fame broadcaster, as the Ford Frick award is the top award that a broadcaster can get from the MLB Hall of Fame. There are no broadcasters, who never played the game, who are members of the Hall of Fame, but plenty that are in the Hall of Fame, and are considered Hall of Fame broadcasters.

Think about it. Do you really want to say that Mell Allen, Ernie Harwell and Vince Scully are not in the MLB Hall of Fame, or that they aren't Hall of Fame broadcasters?

JoshBresser
03-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Sorry, but as one who has taught a linguist class, I have to correct you guys here.

Marty is in the MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Marty in the spot where they recognize the Ford Frick winners. Similarly, Joey Votto is in then MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Votto in the spot where they recognize the NL MVP winners.

Neither of them are members of the Hall of Fame, nor are they "hall of famers." But they both absolutely are in the Hall of Fame. It also is correct to call Marty a Hall of Fame broadcaster, as the Ford Frick award is the top award that a broadcaster can get from the MLB Hall of Fame. There are no broadcasters, who never played the game, who are members of the Hall of Fame, but plenty that are in the Hall of Fame, and are considered Hall of Fame broadcasters.

Think about it. Do you really want to say that Mell Allen, Ernie Harwell and Vince Scully are not in the MLB Hall of Fame, or that they aren't Hall of Fame broadcasters?

Yes