Frazier 5,
Bruce 9,
Phillips 4,
Boesch 8,
Pena 2,
Cueto RHP

RedsBrick
05-03-2015, 11:19 AM
But you're forgetting Johnny's on the hill. Scratch out a couple and call it a dub.

indy_dave00
05-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Byrd singles, homers and walks and now you sit him??

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Hamilton needed a day off or two or three. And Byrd, like old man Ludwick last year, will benefit from regular rest.

Happy Johnny Beisbol day!

UPRedsFan
05-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Hamilton needed a day off or two or three. And Byrd, like old man Ludwick last year, will benefit from regular rest.

Happy Johnny Beisbol day!

Would rather stagger these days off and give Boesch two starts in a row (one for Billy and one for Byrd) instead of playing Skip. Really would like to see what he can do with more regular playing time.

Slippin'Jimmy
05-03-2015, 12:49 PM
The Barves have never beaten us. I don't see that changing today.

WVRedsFan
05-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Bryan learned a lot from Dusty and the "Sunday Special" is obviously one of the things he learned. Why put your best pitcher out there with this anemic lineup? Why bat Skipper leadoff? No sane answer. If we lose 2-1, it's all on Bryan.

kaldaniels
05-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Bryan learned a lot from Dusty and the "Sunday Special" is obviously one of the things he learned. Why put your best pitcher out there with this anemic lineup? Why bat Skipper leadoff? No sane answer. If we lose 2-1, it's all on Bryan.

I consider it maximizing your assets. It is not fair to Johnny, but I'd prefer the lower scoring lineup be put out there when he starts.

Big Klu
05-03-2015, 01:22 PM
I'm counting six regular position players in the starting lineup. Not sure that qualifies as a "Sunday Special".

kaldaniels
05-03-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm counting six regular position players in the starting lineup. Not sure that qualifies as a "Sunday Special".

Yeah when I saw the surrender flag I held my breath before looking at the lineups, but its fine. You can argue losing Billy isn't a big dropoff, and Schumaker for Byrd isn't the end of the world either.

RedTeamGo!
05-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Yeah when I saw the surrender flag I held my breath before looking at the lineups, but its fine. You can argue losing Billy isn't a big dropoff, and Schumaker for Byrd isn't the end of the world either.

That's fair. I saw Schumaker leading off and loudly said "NOPE!"

My wife looked at me with a really strange look.

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm predicting a big day from Boesch.

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Cozart hit in the wrist area. He mad.

kaldaniels
05-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Interesting. Cozart took major offense to that. Couldn't have felt good.

RedsfaninMT
05-03-2015, 01:41 PM
It's bizarro world when I'm praying that Cozart is not hurt.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Hopefully nothing too bad for Cozart.

kaldaniels
05-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Cueto to Cozart in between innings...

"Who do you want"

:D

LeDoux
05-03-2015, 01:46 PM
On these away games I would pencil in Mesoraco as CF/leadoff and then sub Hamilton/Schumaker in the bottom of the inning.

LeDoux
05-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Cueto to Cozart in between innings...

"Who do you want"

Freeman or Simmons would have both been acceptable answers.

tomnuetten
05-03-2015, 01:50 PM
not the best start of cueto´s 200th game (as starter)

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 01:51 PM
I went into the kitchen after the Simmons double and said "Well, with Freeman up, the worst it could be when I come back is 2-0 Braves"

It's 3-0 Braves :(

Larkin Fan
05-03-2015, 01:52 PM
We are definitely in a bizarro world when Johnny Cueto gives up 3 in the first.

BCubb2003
It's bizarro world.

LeDoux
So, who is the long man now?

Big Klu
I went into the kitchen after the Simmons double and said "Well, with Freeman up, the worst it could be when I come back is 2-0 Braves"

It's 3-0 Braves :(

Simmons double
Freeman double
Johnson homer

50YrRedsFan
05-03-2015, 01:53 PM
In shock

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Cueto mad

Big Klu
05-03-2015, 01:55 PM
So, who is the long man now?

Probably Contreras, though with the off day tomorrow they could skip Lorenzen's turn in the rotation and use him in relief today if they have to.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 01:55 PM
That fake inning they're showing now, that's just for laughs before the real game starts at 2, right?

TheBigLebowski
05-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Lest not we lose hope dear friends! Courage is our best defense now!!!

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Hopefully that was just a weird inning for Cueto, but it reminded me of those "everyone gets a home run" games Arroyo would throw every couple months or so.

Big Klu
05-03-2015, 01:57 PM
They hit Cueto hard that inning.

LeDoux
05-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Probably Contreras, though with the off day tomorrow they could skip Lorenzen's turn in the rotation and use him in relief today if they have to.

Interesting. I didn't think Contreras was stretched out for multiple innings.

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Leadoff double for Atlanta. This one ain't looking to good.

Big Klu
05-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Interesting. I didn't think Contreras was stretched out for multiple innings.

He probably isn't, but he might get an opportunity today.

thatcoolguy_22
05-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Today I did my first ever daily fantasy game for some money on one of those sites. I picked Cueto because of the great match-up against the weak hitting Braves. I'm sorry gentlemen; this is all my fault.

50YrRedsFan
05-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Cueto leaving a lot of pitches up

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 02:15 PM
...That was not smart, Brandon.

Larkin Fan
05-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Isn't your defense supposed to pick you up when you're having a bad game?

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 02:16 PM
What a weird ass inning this is.

Larkin Fan
05-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Cueto leaving a lot of pitches up

Yeah, he's definitely not hitting his spots today.

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 02:18 PM
And Johnny wiggles out of it.

50YrRedsFan
Cueto at 39 pitches already.

NebraskaRed
Even when he's having a bad game, Cueto can still be great-o.

Kc61
05-03-2015, 02:19 PM
...That was not smart, Brandon.

BP's play worked out all right. I thought it was an ok play when made.

He simply didn't want the run to score, and it caused him to hold the ball. It would have been better to get the out at first. But the main thing is that he held the runner at third.

50YrRedsFan
05-03-2015, 02:24 PM
That was a fast 1/2 inning.

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Johnny not fooling anybody today. Gomes HR. 4-0 Barves.

tomnuetten
wow what a game ... :eek:

why is gregg dressed as cueto?

50YrRedsFan
Just not Johnny's day.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Reds better trade Cueto while is value is still sky high. Don't want to risk him getting hurt or not producing well (although I'm convinced he'll produce well if he stays healthy -- today is an aberration for him).

This team is not going anywhere this season with Bailey out for the year and Mesoraco a huge question mark Also: Byrd hasn't been the solution many of us were hoping for in LF. The bullpen is a complete joke. Time to rebuild my friends. If the Reds' brass thinks they are going to contend this year with this roster, they are out of their mind. Now is the time to trade Cueto.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 02:35 PM
BTW, for a "great" defensive shortstop ... Cozart's D sure has been shaky this season.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Lots of loud cuss words. Frazier with a loud "BRYANPRICE" after that strikeout.

Kc61
05-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Reds better trade Cueto while is value is still sky high. Don't want to risk him getting hurt or not producing well (although I'm convinced he'll produce well if he stays healthy -- today is an aberration for him).

This team is not going anywhere this season with Bailey out for the year and Mesoraco a huge question mark Also: Byrd hasn't been the solution many of us were hoping for in LF. The bullpen is a complete joke. Time to rebuild my friends. If the Reds' brass thinks they are going to contend this year with this roster, they are out of their mind. Now is the time to trade Cueto.

Some of us have been saying this since 2014.

Cueto's ERA is 2.70. If it gets over 3.00 it will cost the Reds in trade return. If it gets much higher, it will materially cost the Reds. If there's an injury it will cost even more.

Problem is you don't have much warning on these things. They happen. Two more bad outings in the next couple of weeks and we may be there. An injury and we're there.

Risk has always been obvious, Reds made their decision, hope it works out.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 02:41 PM
I am convinced that if nobody swung the bat, the Reds could walk in at least 2 runs off Teheran.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Thom just called the Brandon Phillips trade (Indians to Reds) "One of the best trades in baseball history."

That's a little rich. Definitely one of the best in Reds' history. But BASEBALL history? That's a lot of history.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 02:44 PM
1 hit in four innings. Would it really matter if Cueto was pitching a great game today?

Slippin'Jimmy
05-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Two more bad outings in the next couple of weeks and we may be there.

A three game rough stretch is enough to diminish Cueto's value? And no injury?

Do not agree.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Cozart. LOL.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Cozart. LOL.

Leaving the game with an injury is funny?

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Leaving the game with an injury is funny?

Nice try 'Husker. Obviously I meant him booting a ball right after I said his D was struggling this year was funny (strange, not "ha ha"). You understand now?

How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Kc61
05-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Do not agree.

I said we "may" be there. Depends on the impact on his season stats.

If the trade partners sense any diminuition in performance, they will use it against the Reds in trade talks. IMO.

This negotiation would be tooth and nail because Reds will be asking for very top prospects that clubs loathe to give up.

TheBigLebowski
05-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Now now dear friends. Let us not revel in the Husker's ignorance - there but for the grace of God goes he!

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Do not agree.

I agree with your disagree. But the injury concern is real. Might as well trade Cueto now before an injury pops up. Plus, the team that trades for him would theoretically give up more for him since they would be getting him for 5/6th of the season and not just for 2 months.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Cueto legs one out! (And now will be gassed for the remainder of the game. LOL.)

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Johnny "BillyHamilton" Cueto

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Ha, Welsh just said Cueto looks like a fullback. Talk about a description that would not have been made back when Cueto was a rookie or in his second year.

I love Johnny. But it's clear he puts on about 5 pounds every year. And yes, he's now to the point where announcers are (correctly) describing him as "looking like a fullback."

Tony Cloninger
05-03-2015, 03:04 PM
I am convinced that if nobody swung the bat, the Reds could walk in at least 2 runs off Teheran.

That would be a great experiment for everyone except Votto to try on a pitcher like this.

Kc61
05-03-2015, 03:06 PM
I agree with your disagree. But the injury concern is real. Might as well trade Cueto now before an injury pops up. Plus, the team that trades for him would theoretically give up more for him since they would be getting him for 5/6th of the season and not just for 2 months.

The performance downturn concern is also real.

Anyone making a trade for Cueto is focused on this year's race. You want to deliver them a top player. Had the Reds traded Cueto in the off-season, or during spring training, he was clearly a top player warranting a top return.

In-season, it's a function both of health and performance and can change on a dime.

This is why Cueto's agent said make a deal before the season or we'll stop talking. Johnny's agent realized that once the season starts his value as a FA could diminish. Optimally, Cueto would have preferred a big market trade and extension before the season.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 03:07 PM
That would be a great experiment for everyone except Votto to try on a pitcher like this.

Maybe they could throw in a swing every now and then to keep Teheran guessing. I do honestly think it would work.

wheels
05-03-2015, 03:15 PM
I've been getting a creepy vibe during this series in Atlanta. I actually always get creeped out when the Reds are there.

Especially since I read about the Georgia Guidestones.

kaldaniels
05-03-2015, 03:17 PM
I've been getting a creepy vibe during this series in Atlanta. I actually always get creeped out when the Reds are there.

Especially since I read about the Georgia Guidestones.

Just one of Ted Turner's toys. I'm not scared.

wheels
05-03-2015, 03:22 PM
I always thought Ted built them, too. He's a big eugenics believer.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:24 PM
The performance downturn concern is also real.

Anyone making a trade for Cueto is focused on this year's race. You want to deliver them a top player. Had the Reds traded Cueto in the off-season, or during spring training, he was clearly a top player warranting a top return.

In-season, it's a function both of health and performance and can change on a dime.

This is why Cueto's agent said make a deal before the season or we'll stop talking. Johnny's agent realized that once the season starts his value as a FA could diminish. Optimally, Cueto would have preferred a big market trade and extension before the season.

It's real, but it's highly unlikely. A healthy Cueto is probably going to put up outstanding numbers. It's the injury concern that ... uh ... concerns me. Why even risk it? Trade him now while is value is high. (And I know I'm preaching to the choir telling you this.) An injury could pop up at literally any moment and wreck Cueto's trade value. For a team that clearly isn't even built to contend for a wildcard IMO, it's time to sell. If the Reds were serious about contending, they shouldn't have assembled the worst bullpen in MLB (and likely the worst bench in MLB as well). They needed everyone to stay healthy and they're already without Bailey for the rest of the season. And I'm still betting against Mesoraco actually being able to help this year.

It sucks, but now is the time to sell on Cueto. I hope even our dormant front office can understand this.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:25 PM
5-0. Jeez.

Slippin'Jimmy
05-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I always thought Ted built them, too. He's a big eugenics believer.

I figured the line about "Stay healthy. Always work out to Jane's VHS tapes" was a dead giveaway.

Kc61
05-03-2015, 03:30 PM
It's real, but it's highly unlikely. A healthy Cueto is probably going to put up outstanding numbers. It's the injury concern that ... uh ... concerns me. Why even risk it? Trade him now while is value is high. (And I know I'm preaching to the choir telling you this.) An injury could pop up at literally any moment and wreck Cueto's trade value. For a team that clearly isn't even built to contend for a wildcard IMO, it's time to sell. If the Reds were serious about contending, they shouldn't have assembled the worst bullpen in MLB (and likely the worst bench in MLB as well). They needed everyone to stay healthy and they're already without Bailey for the rest of the season. And I'm still betting against Mesoraco actually being able to help this year.

It sucks, but now is the time to sell on Cueto. I hope even our dormant front office can understand this.

Keep something in mind. There are two pitchers, Cueto and Hamels, being watched every game, every pitch, by big market scouts. All season.

Today's outing won't just be in a box score. Some Red Sox, Yankee, Dodger scout is watching. All you need is one respected scout to say, he may be losing it, and it impacts the trade.

Point is -- as we agree -- that Reds are playing with fire. This from a fan who can envision a quick and successful turnaround for this club if they get a big haul for players like Cueto and Leake.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 03:31 PM
This is a Badenhop game. Let him pitch the next two innings

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:33 PM
This is a Badenhop game. Let him pitch the next two innings

Agreed. Or Gregg. Or a combination of that craptastic duo.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Agreed. Or Gregg. Or a combination of that craptastic duo.

Gregg has only given up 2 runs in his last 6 appearances. That's gold for this bullpen. I think Badenhop has given up somewhere around 74 runs.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Keep something in mind. There are two pitchers, Cueto and Hamels, being watched every game, every pitch, by big market scouts. All season.

Today's outing won't just be in a box score. Some Red Sox, Yankee, Dodger scout is watching. All you need is one respected scout to say, he may be losing it, and it impacts the trade.

Point is -- as we agree -- that Reds are playing with fire. This from a fan who can envision a quick and successful turnaround for this club if they get a big haul for players like Cueto and Leake.

Oh, I get that. I just think there's a minuscule chance that a healthy Cueto doesn't put up great numbers. He always puts up great numbers when healthy. That could change this year (which is why I brought it up in my original post about this), but it's extremely unlikely.

However, there is certainly more than a "minuscule" chance that Cueto will have an injury that crushes his trade value. That is what the Reds' front office needs to have at the forefront of their mind when deciding if now is the time to trade Cueto. Now is absolutely the time to trade him. Let's hope they do the right thing.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Gregg has only given up 2 runs in his last 6 appearances. That's gold for this bullpen. I think Badenhop has given up somewhere around 74 runs.

Good point. But I thought Badenhop was up to 75?

Tony Cloninger
05-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Throw in Jumbo as well? He has actually struggled more than Gregg has....but last night just the fact Chapman had to warm up again during the bottom of the ninth shows that Gregg is never trustworthy even while he is going through a good stretch.

Hopefully the big bats off the bench can help start a comeback. Bob Bailey and Andy Kosco had not been used in a while. I think Champ Summers could work a walk from this pitcher.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Hoover Nation makes an appearance.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Throw in Jumbo as well? He has actually struggled more than Gregg has....but last night just the fact Chapman had to warm up again during the bottom of the ninth shows that Gregg is never trustworthy even while he is going through a good stretch.

Hopefully the big bats off the bench can help start a comeback. Bob Bailey and Andy Kosco had not been used in a while. I think Champ Summers could work a walk from this pitcher.

Jumbo has been a monumental disappointment (no pun intended, maybe). I was in the camp that believed last year was not a fluke. I thought the weight loss got him over the hump and he was going to be a good MLB reliever for a few years. I should learn not to be excited about 31-year-old players who come out of nowhere.

Falcon7
05-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Wow ump, you SUCK!

SlimJim11
05-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Hitting is hard enough, if you are going to call multiple pitches that far outside as strikes, what is the point of getting in the batters box.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Bust Badenhop is on the mound kids. Look out.

traderumor
05-03-2015, 03:56 PM
I am so enriched by watching a human being miss close pitch after close pitch. The game would just not be as rewarding if calling balls and strikes were not done by this human who is not able to use his eyesight to consistenly identify a pitch in a certain area vs. one that is not in a certain area. No matter that the human eye can be easily deceived by a number of optical illusions, we should continue using this method even when a more reliable automated tool is available to do the same job, because gosh darn it, we don't want to lose jobs to foreign companies do we?

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 03:57 PM
7 pitch, 1-2-3 inning for Badenhop, because of course.

traderumor
05-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Bust Badenhop is on the mound kids. Look out.

I see what you did there, very creative.

BCubb2003
Is it possible the bullpen is slowly returning to human form?

_Sir_Charles_
Any update on why Cozart left? I missed the beginning of the game. The HBP?

Tony Cloninger
05-03-2015, 04:00 PM
I am so enriched by watching a human being miss close pitch after close pitch. The game would just not be as rewarding if calling balls and strikes were not done by this human who is not able to use his eyesight to consistenly identify a pitch in a certain area vs. one that is not in a certain area. No matter that the human eye can be easily deceived by a number of optical illusions, we should continue using this method even when a more reliable automated tool is available to do the same job, because gosh darn it, we don't want to lose jobs to foreign companies do we?

Let's find a way to make the machines here in the US. I mean you would still need the ump to make safe/out calls at home and also tell us if the machine said ball or strike. So the ump would not lose his job.

NebraskaRed
05-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Any update on why Cozart left? I missed the beginning of the game. The HBP?

"bruised right index finger" and xrays were negative.

_Sir_Charles_
05-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks NR.

Tony Cloninger
05-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Jumbo has been a monumental disappointment (no pun intended, maybe). I was in the camp that believed last year was not a fluke. I thought the weight loss got him over the hump and he was going to be a good MLB reliever for a few years. I should learn not to be excited about 31-year-old players who come out of nowhere.

I was asking for him to come up, along with Negron and Felix Perez last year. I thought he would be better too. But if he has no control his fastball is very straight and very fat to the MLB hitters.

It works for some guys coming up after their mid to even late 20's. Doug Jones was one. He had an idea on how to pitch though and change speeds.

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 04:04 PM
"Your dad is not such a big fan."

Welsh is the best.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 04:09 PM
That was the type of game that makes you look forward to football season.

Tom Servo
05-03-2015, 04:10 PM
We're bad again.

traderumor
05-03-2015, 04:17 PM
That was the type of game that makes you look forward to football season.
Nah, just helps lawns around Reds Country get mowed. Just a suggestion--don't watch every pitch of every game, it can wear on your enjoyment of the same.

Chuckie
05-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Nah, just helps lawns around Reds Country get mowed. Just a suggestion--don't watch every pitch of every game, it can wear on your enjoyment of the same.

Ha, I never watch every pitch of a baseball game. Can't do it. Huge Reds fan, but can't do it. Have to be on the computer or listening to music (or both) while the game is on. Or maybe playing some poker on my phone. Sitting and watching every pitch of a baseball game is out for me.

I got my yardwork done before the game. Planted a couple bushes, mowed and trimmed my lawn. It was more enjoyable than today's Reds' game.

WVRedsFan
05-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Well, to comment on Big Klu's comment (that's classic RZ stuff :)), Like some others, anytime I see Skip in the lineup it makes me puke. To see him leadoff, it gives me the green apple quickstep. Couple that with benching Byrd just as he is heating up, and runs will be at a premium against a pitcher who just doesn't give up runs to the Reds. Of course, the whole team is anemic anyway on offense even with a hot Byrd. Prepare for losses and bad losses over the next six games. My guess is that we will go 2-4 and fall about 7 or 8 games behind the Cardinals. With Cozart iffy and Bruce on and off coupled with Frazier in a funk and Hamilton not hitting, it might get brutal (reverse psychology works, doesn't it?).

traderumor
05-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Ha, I never watch every pitch of a baseball game. Can't do it. Huge Reds fan, but can't do it. Have to be on the computer or listening to music (or both) while the game is on. Or maybe playing some poker on my phone. Sitting and watching every pitch of a baseball game is out for me.

I got my yardwork done before the game. Planted a couple bushes, mowed and trimmed my lawn. It was more enjoyable than today's Reds' game.

I guess enjoying it may just not be in the Cards then, because if what you demonstrate in your posts is enjoyment of something, I'd hate to see your views on something that you consider not enjoyable. Or is it just schtick?