PDA

View Full Version : Computer drawing options

Slyder
05-16-2016, 02:38 PM
I'm experimenting with a business idea and was starting to look at possible ideas for logos for the online pages and future business cards. I really this one style of S from a Graffiti style but I don't know anything about computer artwork besides Microsoft Paint. any suggestions would be appreciated.

westofyou
05-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Try GIMP for a nice freeware image program, also you can download a free trial of Fireworks for a good vector / image editing program

No Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WrongVerb
05-16-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm experimenting with a business idea and was starting to look at possible ideas for logos for the online pages and future business cards. I really this one style of S from a Graffiti style but I don't know anything about computer artwork besides Microsoft Paint. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Outsource to a graphic designer. Probably won't be more than $100-200 for the logo and basic color scheme. Well worth it and allows you to concentrate on other things besides learning a software package. I have a friend who does that stuff and it was fun for him to work up a few different logos and business card ideas for me and my partner when we were running a vending machine business together.

dougdirt
05-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Outsource to a graphic designer. Probably won't be more than $100-200 for the logo and basic color scheme. Well worth it and allows you to concentrate on other things besides learning a software package. I have a friend who does that stuff and it was fun for him to work up a few different logos and business card ideas for me and my partner when we were running a vending machine business together.

Agreed here. If you're business is going to be real, and not just something small on the side that makes $100 a month, spend the money and outsource this one.

I am completely drawing a blank here, but hopefully someone else can come through and help both of us out, but there's a site out there for designers/programmers where they will bid on what you want to have done. Anyone?

Stray
05-16-2016, 09:29 PM
You can get free trials of any Adobe software.

For logos you want to use Illustrator since that creates vectors, which are not created on a grid of pixels and can be scaled up as big as you want without losing quality. Photoshop is for raster images where the data is all stored in pixels, which can't be scaled up without looking terrible. There are tons of tutorials on Youtube if you wanna learn how to do various things on these programs.

If you actually want to draw, you can get a Wacom tablet which are tons of fun, price ranges from not so expensive to super expensive.

dougdirt
05-16-2016, 11:25 PM
So, I googled it and I'm not sure if I am remembering www.99designs.com or www.crowdspring.com but both seem to be what I was talking about and both look familiar to me.

Stray
05-17-2016, 12:27 AM
There are places like DesignCrowd, Freelancer, and several others that are all very similar. Usually you commit a certain amount of money and people submit entries.

While it might be a little cheaper, as an actual graphic designer I'd recommend checking out local GDs before that.

Logos aren't going to be super expensive regardless, and if your business takes off it'd be beneficial to have a local designer you've already worked with for the other materials you are going to need.

But if local options suck, yeah with some patience you'll find something online.

RFS62
05-20-2016, 11:23 AM
http://www.hatchwise.com/

I've used these guys a couple of times and the results have always been excellent.

Graphic designers from all over the world compete to produce a winning design from your specs.

Stray
05-20-2016, 11:26 PM
When you outsource you're literally putting Ameicans on an uneven playing field. That isn't some sort of political statement more than it's just the truth.

If you're an owner looking for work that change you paid to someone in India or Pakistan means a lot more.

If you look hard enough you will find someone from India who will design you something for literal pennies on the hour.

The reality is that designing isn't easy so much as it's watered down by these sites.

That's why I said to support a local Cincy designer because the price difference on a logo would be like pretty much nothing. When the battle goes online every American loses, because it costs more for us to work online than everyone we're competing with. No politics, just the facts.