PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Trib - Reds Believe in "Bad, Gutless and Stupid Baseball"

TheBigLebowski
06-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Sorry to start a 2nd topic in one day, but I came across this and my blood boiled.

The Cubs have been bad, gutless and stupid since 1908. Holy Sunday pancake brunch, this fanbase is insufferable.

Linky

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/ct-hitting-kris-bryant-reds-rosenbloom-20160630-column.html

Number_Fourteen
06-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Coming into your own, are you, Melon?

Tom Servo
06-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Is this the rag that's rebranding itself 'Tronc'? Dude misspelled our manager's name in the first sentence.

GTFOutta here.

Larkin88
06-30-2016, 01:07 PM
:rolleyes: Can't even get Price's first name right.

TheBigLebowski
06-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Living down here in Gainesville, I do come across some Cubs fans here and there, but not many.

Good to read this stuff once in a while. Keeps my hate game strong.

CRDB40
06-30-2016, 01:14 PM
Sorry to start a 2nd topic in one day, but I came across this and my blood boiled.

The Cubs have been bad, gutless and stupid since 1908. Holy Sunday pancake brunch, this fanbase is insufferable.

Linky

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/ct-hitting-kris-bryant-reds-rosenbloom-20160630-column.html

Well, he's an idiot. So you know...

Tom Servo
06-30-2016, 01:14 PM
None of this dude's crap even makes sense. The Reds never threw at Aaron Hill after he made the Reds his *****. If the Reds threw at everyone who dominated them and ran up the score on them this year then every MLB player would have a battle scar.

I shouldn't let an obvious troll job get to me, but I can't believe this garbage is actually published.

cobike
06-30-2016, 01:34 PM
IMO the guy has a point. Or two. It sure looked like Jumbo plunked him with a purpose pitch. I was surprised the Cubs did not retaliate, I give them credit for that. As for Votto not sliding into home, he was 15-20 feet away so sliding would have been the dumbest thing he could've done there. However it did appear from the highlight I saw that he momentarily froze when Bruce hit the ball. With two outs, that would be a massive brain cramp. Brantley said on the play-by-play that he got a slow jump. Whatever. But the article is correct about the "Bad" part, and probably also the "Stupid" part.

Wonderful Monds
06-30-2016, 01:47 PM
The Cubs and Chicago are now at the top of the list.

Literally the biggest ***holes in baseball.

TheBigLebowski
06-30-2016, 01:57 PM
IMO the guy has a point. Or two. It sure looked like Jumbo plunked him with a purpose pitch. I was surprised the Cubs did not retaliate, I give them credit for that. As for Votto not sliding into home, he was 15-20 feet away so sliding would have been the dumbest thing he could've done there. However it did appear from the highlight I saw that he momentarily froze when Bruce hit the ball. With two outs, that would be a massive brain cramp. Brantley said on the play-by-play that he got a slow jump. Whatever. But the article is correct about the "Bad" part, and probably also the "Stupid" part.

Glass houses.

As if the freaking cubbie holes have never thrown "purpose pitches" at anyone. Please.

muethibp
06-30-2016, 02:18 PM
There's no denying "bad" and I can accept "stupid." But gutless?! I quibble with that.

Donder
06-30-2016, 02:42 PM
Can't blame him for writing an article like this. Like most Cubs supporters Rosenbloom had never actually watched a baseball game before last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Anderson
06-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Lighten up Francis.

RedsBaron
06-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Calling an out-of-town team "bad, gutless and stupid" is always an easy way to get the locals on your side. It often surprises me how some members of the media get paid to write about matters for which they have limited knowledge or talent. I read better baseball analysis on this site than I do in much of the paid media.

redsfanmia
06-30-2016, 03:37 PM
The Reds and Cubs aren't rivals right now so what's the point of the article?

CySeymour
06-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Are the Cubs absolutely innocent in throwing at other teams hitters? Seems I remember an incident earlier this year, maybe involving Jake Arrieta. But I could be wrong.

Old school 1983
06-30-2016, 03:52 PM
I don't even think Diaz meant to hit Bryant. Dude has no control and was trying to go inside.

bucksfan2
06-30-2016, 03:53 PM
The Reds and Cubs aren't rivals right now so what's the point of the article?

Have the Reds and Cubs ever been rivals? In my lifetime I can't remember them ever being good together. Heck when one is good the other is a door mat.

westofyou
06-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Have the Reds and Cubs ever been rivals? In my lifetime I can't remember them ever being good together. Heck when one is good the other is a door mat.

No, they have both had winning seasons in only 5 seasons since division play started.

Either they are good or the Reds are good, or they both suck

That said... who cares what a Tribune writer says about the Reds?

It's click bait and homerism at its apex

Strikes Out Looking
06-30-2016, 04:04 PM
This guy obviously hasn't watched the Reds very much because if he had he'd know that the Reds pitching staff is incapable of hitting a specific object 60 feet and 6 inches away from them. If they could, they should've plunked Bryant much earlier in the series.

CySeymour
06-30-2016, 04:06 PM
The Reds pitchers are second in the league in HBP's. However, the Cubs are 4th, so it isn't like they've been pitching away a lot. In fact, 4 of the top 5 staffs in the league in HBP's are in the NL Central.

westofyou
06-30-2016, 04:25 PM
The Reds pitchers are second in the league in HBP's. However, the Cubs are 4th, so it isn't like they've been pitching away a lot. In fact, 4 of the top 5 staffs in the league in HBP's are in the NL Central.

Pirates are setting that bar for the division

KronoRed
06-30-2016, 04:45 PM
You would think a Cubs fan would know Bad, Gutless and Stupid Baseball, they have been pulling it off there for a century.

traderumor
06-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Every dog has its day, then it goes back to licking itself for the rest of its life.

corkedbat
06-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Give'em a break. It's been so long since the Scrubs have had anyone worth throwing at, they can be excused for forgetting baseball'"tracitions." That being said, I hope the next time we see them, someone sticks one in his earhole. :evil:

BCubb2003
06-30-2016, 06:53 PM
I wish someone would write down these unwritten rules so everyone would know how to play the game the right way.

Yachtzee
06-30-2016, 08:41 PM
I wish someone would write down these unwritten rules so everyone would know how to play the game the right way.

I believe they are written down, but kept locked in a vault under Busch Stadium by the St. Louis Cardinals, a.k.a. the High Priests of Playing The Game The Right Way. It's interesting to see Cubs fans become that which they hate.

Roy Tucker
06-30-2016, 09:08 PM
I think I hate Cubs fans more than the Cubs. Thry can all kiss my wishbone C butt.

All that being said, Kris Bryant got a check mark in Roy's great scorecard of life for the non-curtain call. A pretty all right thing.

RedFanT
06-30-2016, 09:48 PM
So, by his own admission he has no idea if Bryant was hit on orders by Price or not, or that even if he was really hit on purpose at all. He's just mad about it. Pardon while I laugh.

Mutaman
06-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Hate to say this about the boys or concede anything written by a Cub writer, but does anyone disagree about those adjectives not being pretty accurate over the last few years? "bad" and "stupid" certainly fit.

Revering4Blue
07-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Gutless?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Chip R
07-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/goose-gossage-will-finally-explain-his-sacred-unwritten-rules-of-baseball-062816

Dom Heffner
07-01-2016, 10:36 AM
If Bryant refused to take a curtain call and the Reds hit him on purpose, then the Reds are a special kind of stupid.

That's if.

marcshoe
07-01-2016, 10:44 AM
I wasn't watching the game when when this happened; how many tries did it take Jumbo to hit him? If he ran the count full and hit him on the sixth try, it seems plausible that this was intentional, but I don't believe he could hit him in fewer than six attempts.

Donder
07-01-2016, 10:57 AM
I wasn't watching the game when when this happened; how many tries did it take Jumbo to hit him? If he ran the count full and hit him on the sixth try, it seems plausible that this was intentional, but I don't believe he could hit him in fewer than six attempts.

First pitch if I recall correctly.

marcshoe
07-01-2016, 11:04 AM
In that case, it wasn't really Jumbo; it was Steve Bartman in disguise. It's all a plot.

_Sir_Charles_
07-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Personally, I don't think this says anything about the Cubs or their fans. Just this writer. While I hate to admit it, this version of the Cubs seems to be a bunch of good, solid, upstanding citizens who are playing great baseball. Their fan-base remains as it always has been, drunken idiots. If anything, it reminds me of the Pirates and their fans & writers back in 2013 when they got their first taste of good baseball in a long while. They puffed out their chests as a collective fan-base and strutted around. The classy way to handle success is to smile, keep things to yourself and act like you've been there before. Acting superior is a dumb move by the Cubs writer & fans. You'd think that by now they'd know that karma's a vindictive female dog.

Elam
07-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Interesting article. Didn't know Paul Daugherty picked up a gig with the Tribune

Sent from an old rotary telephone using Tapatalk

Boston Red
07-01-2016, 01:23 PM
The classy way to handle success

Classy?!? This is sports we're talking about. It's SUPPOSED to be fun. Put me with the drunken idiots.

As the esteemed William Joel wrote, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

TheBigLebowski
07-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Classy?!? This is sports we're talking about. It's SUPPOSED to be fun. Put me with the drunken idiots.

As the esteemed William Joel wrote, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

I never knew classy behavior and fun were mutually exclusive.

Boston Red
07-01-2016, 01:56 PM
I never knew classy behavior and fun were mutually exclusive.

They aren't....but this talk of being "classy" just smelled a bit too much like something that would emanate out of St. Louis and made me feel a bit dirty.

Chuckie
07-01-2016, 03:20 PM
I love how a fanbase that hasn't won anything relevant since 1908 are the biggest trash-talkers in all of MLB, including their writers. Going to be great to see how they somehow blow it this year.

boognish
07-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Gutless, eh? Hot take.

:sleep:

Todd Gack
07-03-2016, 10:15 PM
I feel like most of the criticism for the article is that of a parent who's pissed at another parent for criticizing how badly their child is acting.

I think we all know that this team is bad, gutless, and stupid. We just don't want a fan of another team telling that to us.

marcshoe
07-03-2016, 10:22 PM
If there's any player who is definitely not gutless, it's Jumbo Diaz. He has more gut on him than anyone else in the game.

Tom Servo
07-03-2016, 10:23 PM
I feel like most of the criticism for the article is that of a parent who's pissed at another parent for criticizing how badly their child is acting.

I think we all know that this team is bad, gutless, and stupid. We just don't want a fan of another team telling that to us.
Nice try, but the article isn't about the Reds being a bad team. If it was about them being a bad team, nobody would object. The whole article is of the idea that the Reds are somehow strict adherents to antiquated baseball rules which requires them to throw at players, which anybody who watches more than one Reds game can tell you is bull****. They may play horrible baseball, but this isn't a Clint Hurdle team.

Todd Gack
07-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Nice try, but the article isn't about the Reds being a bad team. If it was about them being a bad team, nobody would object. The whole article is of the idea that the Reds are somehow strict adherents to antiquated baseball rules which requires them to throw at players, which anybody who watches more than one Reds game can tell you is bull****. They may play horrible baseball, but this isn't a Clint Hurdle team.

AM I the only one who applauded the squeeze Joe Maddon pulled?

Bryan Price's comments on it were bull**** if you ask me. This is the gosh-darned Major League boys.

Tom Servo
07-03-2016, 10:44 PM

Bryan Price's comments on it were bull**** if you ask me. This is the gosh-darned Major League boys.
I imagine a squeeze play in a blowout might get you plunked in the minor leagues or college too, if that was indeed the case.

Of course, the article never talks about the squeeze play, just the Reds hit Bryant because he's so good. Strong Tronc writing.

BluegrassRedleg
07-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Dude apparently has never seen Jumbo (attempt to) pitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Furthermore, no lead is safe in that park.... Even against the hapless Reds.

Crumbley
07-04-2016, 03:48 AM

Confirmed dummy/loser in wrong shocker.

Redeye fly
07-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Can't blame him for writing an article like this. Like most Cubs supporters Rosenbloom had never actually watched a baseball game before last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about that. It's certainly possible, but I think most Cubs fans probably have been fans for a while and now that they're good they have come out of hiding and decided to point their fingers and laugh at the current laughingstock, since for once it's not them.

These fans, a lot of them, wear "lovable losers" like a battle scar, as if supporting a team that has largely sucked and disappointed for the last 100 plus years gives them brownie points.

Obviously I don't say that about all Cub fans. I'm Facebook friends with one I went to high school with. He's a good guy.

As it is, it's an even numbered year so they'll probably lose to the Giants in the NLCS and their goofy fans still won't know what to do or how to act.

Johnny5
07-04-2016, 12:12 PM
\
These fans, a lot of them, wear "lovable losers" like a battle scar, as if supporting a team that has largely sucked and disappointed for the last 100 plus years gives them brownie points.

As it is, it's an even numbered year so they'll probably lose to the Giants in the NLCS and their goofy fans still won't know what to do or how to act.

The fact that you brought up brownie points made me think of another sport. I feel the Browns are going in a better direction than the Reds. I am a Brown fan and it hasn't been fun during football season. (Thank the Lord for the Buckeyes). To quote my 2 brothers who are life-long Reds fans... I like watching "Shark Week" better than the Reds...

_Sir_Charles_
07-04-2016, 12:26 PM
They aren't....but this talk of being "classy" just smelled a bit too much like something that would emanate out of St. Louis and made me feel a bit dirty.

It wasn't intended in that way. But I make it a point to never argue with someone who's wise enough to quote Billy. :thumbup:

westofyou
07-04-2016, 12:28 PM
The fact that you brought up brownie points made me think of another sport. I feel the Browns are going in a better direction than the Reds. I am a Brown fan and it hasn't been fun during football season. (Thank the Lord for the Buckeyes). To quote my 2 brothers who are life-long Reds fans... I like watching "Shark Week" better than the Reds...

The Browns eh?

let's revisit this subject in late November

Redeye fly
07-04-2016, 02:52 PM

Hard to say. I guess we'll find out if RG3 works out or not. I'm a 49ers fan and Sporting News thinks they'll go 1-15. So that's something to look forward to.

Johnny5
07-05-2016, 11:56 AM
The Browns eh?

let's revisit this subject in late November

Oh, the Browns will suck again this year. They know it, the fans know it... I just said I like the direction the team is taking better than the Reds. At least it seems as though the Browns are going in the right direction. I don't think the Reds have a direction right now, other than dumping games to get better draft position while waiting for bad contracts to expire on players they can't trade.... Sound about right?

fielder's choice
07-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Let's face it, the Reds have been pretty bush-league for awhile now.