PDA

View Full Version : Logistical/Geographical survey

Chip R
07-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Let's say you are going to the grocery store or a department store or any store that has a decent sized parking lot. If there are entrances to the parking lot closer to the building and entrances further away from the entrance, which entrance would you call the top entrance and which one would you call the bottom?

Sea Ray
07-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Let's say you are going to the grocery store or a department store or any store that has a decent sized parking lot. If there are entrances to the parking lot closer to the building and entrances further away from the entrance, which entrance would you call the top entrance and which one would you call the bottom?

I wouldn't use the terms top and bottom unless the store was more than one floor high. I learned in geography 101 that top and bottom referred to distance above sea level. Then my instructor said "don't tell me that Chicago is at the bottom of Lake Michigan". Point made...

Chip R
07-14-2016, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't use the terms top and bottom unless the store was more than one floor high. I learned in geography 101 that top and bottom referred to distance above sea level. Then my instructor said "don't tell me that Chicago is at the bottom of Lake Michigan". Point made...

Not talking about the store but the parking lot entrances. The store is irrelevant.

Boston Red
07-14-2016, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't call any of them the top or bottom.

Sea Ray
07-14-2016, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't call any of them the top or bottom.

Exactly. I might call one the front and the other the back entrance but not top and bottom

WrongVerb
07-14-2016, 11:17 AM
We live in an apartment complex with two entrances and regularly refer to the one that's slightly uphill as the upper entrance and the other one the lower.

KronoRed
07-14-2016, 09:47 PM
The one on the left is top the one on the right bottom, or a hill makes it easier.

RedsManRick
07-14-2016, 09:53 PM
I don't know why you (or a respondent) would use those terms, but I'd probably call the entrances next to the parking lot the bottom and those far away the top. However, if there were even the slightest elevation difference between them, I'd follow that. Alternately, I might consider one closer to the parking lot entrance or main road the "top".

Raisor
07-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Chip has to remove the "Chip is right" quote after this stupid topic.