PDA

View Full Version : 8/14/16 - Reds @ Milwaukee

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Game already underway, Billy doing Billy things.

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Hamilton hit ruled a double. Really should have been an error on the Centre Fielder. Not complaining. Good AB.

Cozart K's.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Billy did a bad Billy thing and gets cut down.

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Has Votto changed the way he hold his bat? Seemed to be resting it on his shoulder waiting for the pitch.

- - - Updated - - -

What on earth is Joey Votto doing there? Never going to steal. Why is he that far off the bag?

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Votto picked off to end the inning and Thom is pissed.

TheRedScare
08-14-2016, 02:21 PM
I bet Marty is losing it

Donder
08-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Votto picked off to end the inning and Thom is pissed.

Marty: "Votto does a lot of things good but base running ain't one of them."

Edit: I should add that Marty was singing praises about Votto all during his at bat.

lnn6574
08-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Maybe Billy can return the favor to Votto and give him some base running tips. Like, your not going anywhere so stay closer to second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kc61
08-14-2016, 02:23 PM
The Hamilton mistake was no big deal IMO. He thought the throw would go to first so he aggressively rounded third.

He then stayed in the run down so Votto got to second. A mistake, but small IMO.

Votto getting picked off at second was not good.

Elam
Thom is a child

Sent from an old rotary telephone using Tapatalk

Ironman92
1. Hate Cozart batting between Joey and Billy

2. Billy has been incredible but still doesn't understand when the pitcher is going to throw an off speed pitch to steal on.

3. What was Votto doing swinging at that knowing Billy is stealing? One of the worst pitches he has offered at.

4. Brewers have a good plan against Billy on base.

5. Votto is the worst base running superstar ever.

6. Reed gets so few breaks.

TheRedScare
08-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Edit: I should add that Marty was singing praises about Votto all during his at bat.

eh, hes not wrong

Tom Servo
I can just hear the disgust.

I would have no problem with it, but when it's Phillips who gets picked off there is dead silence from those guys.

Ironman92
Has Votto changed the way he hold his bat? Seemed to be resting it on his shoulder waiting for the pitch.

- - - Updated - - -

What on earth is Joey Votto doing there? Never going to steal. Why is he that far off the bag?

Not sure but he is very slow and doing what he thought was necessary to score on a single

Big Klu

Edit: I should add the Marty was singing praises about Votto all during his at bat.

THom: "As good as Votto has been at the plate lately, that's how bad he has been on the bases. And those are the FACTS!!!"

Donder
08-14-2016, 02:25 PM
The Hamilton mistake was no big deal IMO. He thought the throw would go to first so he aggressively rounded third.

He then stayed in the run down so Votto got to second. A mistake, but small.

Personally I'd much rather have Hamilton stay aggressive and have this happen occasionally than see him start playing it safe on the bases.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Thom is a child

Sent from an old rotary telephone using Tapatalk

petulant child that is (Foghorn Leghorn voice)

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Reed gets ahead 0-2 on Arcia then gets wild. Attack the zone Cody !!

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Save a lot of time if Reed just turns and throws this over the CF fence

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Personally I'd much rather have Hamilton stay aggressive and have this happen occasionally than see him start playing it safe on the bases.

I agree, but that wasn't aggresive that was silly.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Wow that was bad against Braun.

TheRedScare
Ramon Cabrera :cry:

Donder
THom: "As good as Votto has been at the plate lately, that's how bad he has been on the bases. And those are the FACTS!!!"

This LITERALLY makes my head explode.

Ironman92
Reed has walked 2 and allowed 3 SB and no outs

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 02:31 PM
I see that Cody Reed has showed up today.

ScotlandRed
Meatball down broadway up 0-1 on Ryan Braun. I know Barnhart can't catch every game. But he caught Reeds best outing (last), just plain stupid not to keep that combination going.

Tom Servo
I'm glad they still don't think Reed has anything to learn at AAA. :/

Donder
08-14-2016, 02:32 PM
I agree, but that wasn't aggresive that was silly.

I'll take your word for it. I'm listening on the radio. With his jump I thought maybe he had a chance to score on the throw to first and that's why he rounded so far. Stranger things have happened with Billy.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Except for Braun, Reed is getting ahead of all of these guys with 2 strikes.

24 pitches and still no outs yet

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 02:35 PM
An out !!!

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 02:35 PM
I'll take your word for it. I'm listening on the radio. With his jump I thought maybe he had a chance to score on the throw to first and that's why he rounded so far. Stranger things have happened with Billy.

He did have a chance to score on a throw to first, if the throw had immediately gone to first. Peralta smartly bluffed a throw and threw behind him at third.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:36 PM
This LITERALLY makes my head explode.

Well, I agree with the statement but his tone sucks bad. Yesterday when he went on and on and on about only being top 10 in walks and OB% while he's USUALLY top 10 in hits, runs, doubles, slugging, average, saves, holds, blocks, receiving yards, intentional balks, f bombs, runs, batting average, doubles blah bla blah bla blah BUT THIS YEAR HE'S ONLY (screaming) top 10 in walks and OB%.

That drove me nuts because he was just spewing stuff that wasn't close to factual.

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 02:37 PM

I agree, but I think they're in too deep with Reed now. He should have been sent down after about 4 starts. Think it would do him more bad than good to send him down now.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Shut up, THom!

I don't know how Chris can do it...

Kc61
08-14-2016, 02:38 PM

I don't know. You can't learn to pitch to Ryan Braun at AAA. The way to learn how to face Braun is to face Braun.

RedTeamGo!
08-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Man, Reed has no place on an MLB roster right now. Why in the hell do the Reds keep throwing him out there?

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:39 PM
The Reds are bad and make too many mistakes and are early on atrocious today....but what Thom brings in form of tone, opinions and insight is way worse, not only that Chris is tough to listen to when he's with him.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Well, I agree with the statement but his tone sucks bad. Yesterday when he went on and on and on about only being top 10 in walks and OB% while he's USUALLY top 10 in hits, runs, doubles, slugging, average, saves, holds, blocks, receiving yards, intentional balks, f bombs, runs, batting average, doubles blah bla blah bla blah BUT THIS YEAR HE'S ONLY (screaming) top 10 in walks and OB%.

That drove me nuts because he was just spewing stuff that wasn't close to factual.

I don't even agree with the statement. For him to be as bad on the bases as he has been good at the plate, he would have to actually trip over his own feet every time he reached base.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:41 PM
I agree, but I think they're in too deep with Reed now. He should have been sent down after about 4 starts. Think it would do him more bad than good to send him down now.
I don't buy the whole "it would kill his confidence" thing, I'd say getting your teeth kicked in just about every time out is a bigger issue than saying "Hey, we will believe in you, we just want you to work on some stuff in AAA".

I'm just surprised at how prevalent, both by fans and people in the Reds org, the idea of "nothing to learn in AAA" is. That's a valid point for a 25-year-old guy with 196 games in AAA like Scott Schebler at this point. But for a 22 year old like Peraza who mostly skipped A+ and AA or a 23-year-old like Reed who had just 11 AAA starts, it's ridiciulous.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:42 PM
I don't know. You can't learn to pitch to Ryan Braun at AAA. The way to learn how to face Braun is to face Braun.
He can't get Manny Pina out either, and there are a lot of hitters in AAA who are better than Manny Pina.

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 02:43 PM
I don't buy the whole "it would kill his confidence" thing, I'd say getting your teeth kicked in just about every time out is a bigger issue than saying "Hey, we will believe in you, we just want you to work on some stuff in AAA".

I'm just surprised at how prevalent, both by fans and people in the Reds org, the idea of "nothing to learn in AAA" is. That's a valid point for a 25-year-old guy with 196 games in AAA like Scott Schebler at this point. But for a 22 year old like Peraza who mostly skipped A+ and AA or a 23-year-old like Reed who had just 11 AAA starts, it's ridiciulous.

Your right there I think. Reeds performance thus far and Scheblers performance at the start of the season are probably the equivalent of each other. I feel sorry for Reed at this point. He can't feel good out there.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:45 PM
46 pitches

Tom Servo
Well that was a freaking disaster. 46 pitches. Good lord.

Big Klu
Well, that could have been better.

But it could have been worse, too.

ScotlandRed
Was Jake Elmore not a Red once? As a SS?

HokieRed
08-14-2016, 02:47 PM
You guys have a short memory. Reed's coming off his best start, by far, of the year.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't even agree with the statement. For him to be as bad on the bases as he has been good at the plate, he would have to actually trip over his own feet every time he reached base.

I just looked at it as he's one of the elite hitters and he's one of the worst base runners.

But again, if Phillips did that it would either be silence or he would go into how great of a player and a privilege to watch day in and day out.

Don't play obvious favorites, just call the game.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Well that was a freaking disaster. 46 pitches. Good lord.

See, there's the real problem with Cody Reed. Not only has he been terribly overmatched in every start except maybe two, but he just absolutely burns a bullpen down every time he takes the mound.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:48 PM
You guys have a short memory. Reed's coming off his best start, by far, of the year.

Problem is we also remember the 8 starts before that also.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:50 PM

I thought the last start bought him at least one more start here and was hoping it was him turning a corner, but I've been beating the drum for a while that I want him to get his feet back under him in AAA.

I still believe in Cody Reed, but this business of letting him get crushed every 5th day is dumb.

Mutaman
I feel sorry for Reed at this point.

Reed makes several hundred thousand per year for playing baseball. Gets to stay in first class hotels and goes big league all the way. Probably has groupies all over the place. My alarm clock goes off tomorrow am plus I have to watch Reed pitch. i don't feel sorry for Reed, I feel sorry for me.

Rantly
I can just hear the disgust.

I would have no problem with it, but when it's Phillips who gets picked off there is dead silence from those guys.

Maybe true for Thom but Marty NEVER silent on a baserunning mistake no matter who it is.

Big Klu
Was Jake Elmore not a Red once? As a SS?

Yes, briefly in 2014.

Kc61
08-14-2016, 02:51 PM
He can't get Manny Pina out either, and there are a lot of hitters in AAA who are better than Manny Pina.

I know it's tough to watch guys struggle in the bigs. But sometimes that's part of the process. It's tough on fans, who would rather hide him in the minors.

Just not sure what AAA would do for Reed.

It's like Schebler. To watch him succeed again at AAA would be more pleasant, but it doesn't really move the needle in a positive direction.

If he's got the goods, this will turn around. If not, well . . . .

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Reed makes several hundred thousand per year for playing baseball. Gets to stay in first class hotels and goes big league all the way. Probably has groupies all over the place. My alarm clock goes off tomorrow am plus I have to watch Reed pitch. i don't feel sorry for Reed, I feel sorry for me.

This is a SUPER lame post.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 02:52 PM
I know it's tough to watch guys struggle in the bigs. But sometimes that's part of the process. It's tough on fans, who would rather hide the guy in the minors.

It's like Schebler. To watch him succeed again at AAA would be more pleasant, but it doesn't really move the needle in a positive direction.
Schebler and Reed's situations are nothing alike.

Why even have the minor leagues? Just call Senzel up now and let him take his lumps!

Mutaman
08-14-2016, 02:54 PM
This is a SUPER lame post.

Thanks, I always aim for SUPER.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 02:54 PM
I know it's tough to watch guys struggle in the bigs. But sometimes that's part of the process. It's tough on fans, who would rather hide the guy in the minors.

If he's got the goods, this will turn around. If not, well . . . .

Kc - he wouldn't be succeeding AGAIN at AAA. He wasn't really succeeding when they called him up. He was in the process of slumping his second time around the league.

It's like saying if Senzel's got the goods, what point are the minor leagues, call him up now and let him learn how to hit major league pitching. Only way he's gonna learn, by this measure, right?

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Let me throw this out there (Thom's worn me down)

I think Bryan Price is doing a poor job.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Marty NEVER silent

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Get him out

Mutaman
08-14-2016, 02:57 PM
I think Bryan Price is doing a poor job.

I suggest Bryan get his feet back under him in the minors.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 02:58 PM
And there's the bell for Round 2.

Wonderful Monds
Get him out

He's trying his damndest!

(lol...)

ScotlandRed
Reed's slider is fooling no one

Mutaman
08-14-2016, 03:00 PM
In the spirit of the optimism that's been so prevalent around here lately, maybe we'll get to see Tony today.

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 03:00 PM
WHY IS HE THROWING SLIDERS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE AGAINST RYAN BRAUN/

That's a bomb though. Don't let him face another batter. Get him out of there.

Donder
08-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Does Reed make his next start? I say no.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:01 PM
I am not a man of great wealth but I would volunteer to donate $100 for Thom and Jim Day to switch positions for 2017. I think there could be enough people like me to make it happen.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Reed's slider is fooling no one

I kind of wonder if that's ever going to be an effective big league pitch. It does break a ton, but when it does, he doesn't throw for strikes, and when he does take some off of it to get it over the plate, it's pretty hittable. Plus I think hitters can see it coming a mile away when he does try to get it over - maybe he's "tipping" it to a degree, but he may not be able to throw it for a strike without tipping it off.

May need to start next year in AAA learning a new pitch...a curve or something.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Why take him out now? That's like closing the barn door after all the horses have run away.

Let him soak up a couple of innings to save the pen. He dug this hole, let him lie in it.

Mutaman
08-14-2016, 03:03 PM
He's trying his damndest!

(lol...)

" I'd prepared a case and old man White said to me, "How did you do?" And, uh, I said, "Did my best." And he said, "You're not paid to do your best. You're paid to win." And that's what pays for this office... pays for the pro bono work that we do for the poor... pays for the type of law that you want to practice... pays for my whiskey... pays for your clothes... pays for the leisure we have to sit back and discuss philosophy as we're doing tonight. We're paid to win the case."

Ed Concannon (James Mason) The Verdict

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:04 PM
StatCast on Braun's HR

Exit velocity: holy hell
Pitch type: sucky
Pitch location: worse
Estimated distance: TBA once it lands

Tom Servo
Let Cody make 2-3 starts in AAA and bring him back up to pitch out of the bullpen in September.

Wheelhouse
Cabrera should not catch a premium prospect like Reed. He's a sub-par receiver. The most disastrous of Reed's starts have been with Cabrera catching.

Ironman92
Why take him out now? That's like closing the barn door after all the horses have run away.

Let him soak up a couple of innings to save the pen. He dug this hole, let him lie in it.

Maybe because he was on pace for 250 pitches in 5 innings

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:05 PM
I kind of wonder if that's ever going to be an effective big league pitch. It does break a ton, but when it does, he doesn't throw for strikes, and when he does take some off of it to get it over the plate, it's pretty hittable. Plus I think hitters can see it coming a mile away when he does try to get it over - maybe he's "tipping" it to a degree, but he may not be able to throw it for a strike without tipping it off.

May need to start next year in AAA learning a new pitch...a curve or something.
He doesn't need to scrap it, but it needs work. Amir Garrett has a bit of the same issue, too often hitters can tell it's coming.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Let Cody make 2-3 starts in AAA and bring him back up to pitch out of the bullpen in September.

I wouldn't even bring him back up in September. I've seen enough of him for 2016.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Maybe because he was on pace for 250 pitches in 5 innings

So? At least finish the inning.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't even bring him back up in September. I've seen enough of him for 2016.
Yeah, we can tell.

Kc61
08-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Schebler and Reed's situations are nothing alike.

Why even have the minor leagues? Just call Senzel up now and let him take his lumps!

After dominating AA in 2015, Reed had a 3.20 ERA, a 3.30 FIP, an 8.77 K rate, and a 2.37 BB rate at AAA this year.

It may please the eye to see Reed succeed there again, but I don't see what is to be accomplished for the pitcher.

In a pennant race, sure, Reed isn't helping the Reds win. But this is a rebuilding year. So there is no great reason to send him back.

malcontent
08-14-2016, 03:09 PM
I suggest Bryan get his feet back under him in the minors.
There's gotta be an opening or two in the Frontier League.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:09 PM
He doesn't need to scrap it, but it needs work. Amir Garrett has a bit of the same issue, too often hitters can tell it's coming.

It's pretty weird for a slider. I think either Welsh or Brantley one pointed it out in one of the other games where he was struggling, but having mentioned the curveball, his slider looks way more like "slurve" than it does a pure slider. That's nice for movement, but I think as one whoever it was that was pointing this out, it leads to a looping type action that makes it easy for the hitter to square up as it enters the zone (when it IS a strike) and appears pretty obvious that he can't throw it out of the zone and get hitters to chase it either.

Just watching him throw it, I can see the same thing myself just some jabroni fan.

He definitely needs to change the grip up on it a little or fix his arm angle or something, but that pitch needs be more a pure slider, have more late break and a lot less early looping motion on it.

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 03:11 PM
So this great starting pitching the Reds have coming from the minors.......who is developing it? Can people in this organization that have been in the development department of the Reds for the last 5 years finally be fired for obvious incompetence, from pitchers to position players? Hardly anyone seems to be ready when they come up here.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:11 PM
So? At least finish the inning.

I'm not greatly opposed to letting him try but 46 in first inning is a HUGE number and then 3 runs with no outs already in 2nd. Just feels like enough is enough....kinda like it's time to send him down.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:12 PM
After dominating AA in 2015

In 13 starts, not even a full season worth of starts.

Reed had a 3.20 ERA, a 3.30 FIP, an 8.77 K rate, and a 2.37 BB rate at AAA this year.

We're going on circles. I've pointed out I don't know how many times that Reed was just beginning to struggle in AAA when the Reds called him up. We might as well drop it because apparently we are talking past each other.

Ironman92
So this great starting pitching the Reds have coming from the minors.......who is developing it? Can people in this organization that have been in the development department of the Reds for the last 5 years finally be fired for obvious incompetence, from pitchers to position players? Hardly anyone seems to be ready when they come up here.

They did a good job preparing Mike Leake [emoji48]

Big Klu
Yeah, we can tell.

I want to like him, I really do. (I'm actually biased toward left-handed starting pitching.) But I've seen nothing from him that leads me to believe that he is a major-league pitcher.

malcontent
08-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Reed down, Lambkins up.

Kc61
The AAA regular season ends at the end of August. If you send him down, you burn an option. There's no reason to do that for 2 or 3 outings.

If it's time for Reed to take a break, put him in the bullpen. Let him pitch sparingly in low pressure roles and build up some confidence again.

Ironman92
I want to like him, I really do. (I'm actually biased toward left-handed starting pitching.) But I've seen nothing from him that leads me to believe that he is a major-league pitcher.

But all that talent man, what about all that talent on the mound?

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 03:14 PM
They did a good job preparing Mike Leake [emoji48]

Well you got me there. I mean there has to be somebody of course.....but more often than not it looks bad. I am excited to see what injured player Cozart will be trade for in the offseason though.

Ironman92
The AAA regular season ends at the end of August. If you send him down, you burn an option. There's no reason to do that for 2 or 3 outings.

If it's time for Reed to take a break, put him in the bullpen. Let him pitch sparingly in low pressure roles and build up some confidence again.

That's when Raisel pitches tho

Tom Servo
You know I love ya Klu, but it's like the kid pissed in your cornflakes. He's not the first prospect to struggle mightily in his first taste of MLB action. Folks wanted to run Homer Bailey out of town too.

Wonderful Monds
Does Cody only throw the 4 seam FB? I don't recall seeing anything else.

I think he'd benefit pretty greatly from adding a 2 seamer or a cutter. I know Homer attributed a lot of his turn around to adding the 2 seamer to his selection.

Big Klu
THom, I'm watching a baseball game. I really don't care about the football Hall of Fame Game last week.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Reed down, Lambkins up.
Lamb's hurt, likely done for the year.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:16 PM
THom, I'm watching a baseball game. I really don't care about the football Hall of Fame Game last week.

In Thom's defense, he really doesn't care about what is going on this game

Ironman92

How'd Lamb get hurt? Shoulder tension from throwing 87 mph fastballs?

Tony Cloninger
Roy Halladay had to go all the way down to Single A after a horrible 2nd year. I know it happens but is this guy just that scared? Are the people in charge that obtuse? I mean I think this organization is more often not obtuse and arrogant in their approach to draft and development, trades, roster management....but besides that I really do not know.

Kc61
08-14-2016, 03:17 PM
That's when Raisel pitches tho

LOL, sure but there's room for two top prospect mop up men.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:17 PM
How'd Lamb get hurt? Shoulder tension from throwing 87 mph fastballs?

He watched some disturbing video and pulled a brain muscle.

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 03:18 PM
The Reds are great at hiring a lot of announcers! There. That is something. Especially arrogant obtuse ones like Thom.

Donder
08-14-2016, 03:19 PM

Apparently if they send him down and bring him back Sept. 1 it won't burn an option. Player has to be down for 20 days to burn an option.

As much as I'd love to pretend I just really know my baseball rules, I must admit that I just learned that from Jamie Ramsey on Twitter.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Roy Halladay had to go all the way down to Single A after a horrible 2nd year. I know it happens but is this guy just that scared? Are the people in charge that obtuse? I mean I think this organization is more often not obtuse and arrogant in their approach to draft and development, trades, roster management....but besides that I really do not know.
It doesn't help when the manager keeps insisting he doesn't need to be sent down. Even if his team was heading towards a losing year do you think Dusty would say "We just got to keep trying" with someone struggling like Reed.

Big Klu
You know I love ya Klu, but it's like the kid pissed in your cornflakes. He's not the first prospect to struggle mightily in his first taste of MLB action. Folks wanted to run Homer Bailey out of town too.

But everyone knew Homer was being rushed, and even then he showed flashes now and then. (And they still sent him back down a couple of times.) Reed has just been doing his best impersonation of a batting tee almost every time he toes the rubber. Maybe he will become a big-league pitcher, but he certainly isn't yet.

It's sad that I checked the pitching probables in the morning paper and already chalked this one up as a loss.

Wonderful Monds
Cabrera should not catch a premium prospect like Reed. He's a sub-par receiver. The most disastrous of Reed's starts have been with Cabrera catching.

Not really sure what his role is. He doesn't catch well enough to be a back up. He doesn't hit enough to do the Dioner Navarro thing. I don't get the point. He's a bad fit for the roster.

Is Hanigan still kicking around somewhere? I'd be totally down for bringing him in as a backup if he is, I imagine he could still catch well enough and he always seemed to be a boost for the Reds pitching during The Good Years.

malcontent
08-14-2016, 03:21 PM
How so? Hopefully not seriously, Kitty's mom and I would be devastated.

:pray:

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:22 PM
It doesn't help when the manager keeps insisting he doesn't need to be sent down. Even if his team was heading towards a losing year do you think Dusty would say "We just got to keep trying" with someone struggling like Reed.

Dusty would have insisted he be back in Louisville by July 4th if he were still here lol

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:24 PM
But everyone knew Homer was being rushed, and even then he showed flashes now and then. (And they still sent him back down a couple of times.) Reed has just been doing his best impersonation of a batting tee almost every time he toes the rubber. Maybe he will become a big-league pitcher, but he certainly isn't yet.

It's sad that I checked the pitching probables in the morning paper and already chalked this one up as a loss.
Homer was younger, but actually had made amore starts than Reed did in the minor leagues when they were respectively called up.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:25 PM
How so? Hopefully not seriously, Kitty's mom and I would be devastated.

:pray:

Left-hander John Lamb, demoted to Triple-A last month, is on the disabled list with a flexor mass injury. Lamb is expected to rest the injury before beginning a throwing program in Arizona. Price did not have a specific timeline for that process.

“Right now, we’re just doing a rehab for it and anticipating playing catch here before their season is done at Triple-A,” Price said.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Ok....negative stuff over for me.

Let's get it going now.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Great swing by Duvall, didn't work out but what he needs to do.

WVRedsFan
08-14-2016, 03:28 PM
I get a kick out of the constant griping about Thom and Marty. They will be here forever. They're part of the family like your Uncle Bill and his obnoxious son. After listening to the opposition's announcers, I've determined that we can do no better. Live with it, turn the volume down and watch the baseball. That is all.

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:29 PM
At least we aren't the D'Backs. Greinke today against Boston: 1.2 innings, 10 hits, 9 earned runs, 3 HRs

Losing 16-1 after 5

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Not really sure what his role is. He doesn't catch well enough to be a back up. He doesn't hit enough to do the Dioner Navarro thing. I don't get the point. He's a bad fit for the roster.

Is Hanigan still kicking around somewhere? I'd be totally down for bringing him in as a backup if he is, I imagine he could still catch well enough and he always seemed to be a boost for the Reds pitching during The Good Years.

Hanigan is on the disabled list for the Red Sox.

People have to remember that Cabrera was signed to be the catcher at Louisville. He wasn't expected to be the #2 catcher at Cincinnati from the beginning of May to the end of the season.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Uh...anyone see what Mookie Betts is doing? They are in the 5th inning and he has 4 hits (3 HR) and 8 RBI

ScotlandRed
08-14-2016, 03:33 PM
That's quite enough for me. 3 innings ish is enough.

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 03:33 PM
I get a kick out of the constant griping about Thom and Marty. They will be here forever. They're part of the family like your Uncle Bill and his obnoxious son. After listening to the opposition's announcers, I've determined that we can do no better. Live with it, turn the volume down and watch the baseball. That is all.

Yes they can. You always can. You can sure try and hire people who are not going to be flat out A Holes.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Hay guise...let's throw Ryan Braun pitches just above his knees, it'll work great

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:34 PM

Literally every other team's announcers sound multitudes better, more importantly, actually professional than any Reds crew featuring a Brenneman does.

I would prefer to listen to any other broadcast team than the Marty and Thom show and I mean that about as sincerely as possible.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:36 PM
THom, it's called plyometrics.

But of course, you're going to turn a deaf ear to anything with "-metrics" at the end of it.

Cooper
08-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Reed's breaking pitch s a little too much on a 10-4 axis and it need to be a 12-6 axis. it comes in on the same plane as a righthanders swing --he could may be get a way with it if he started it out over the plate, but he starts it out -6 inches outside. i'm not sure why someone hasn't corrected this or told him to work on location of the pitch.

Until he either makes it 12-6 or starts it in further -it's going to get killed.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Hanigan is on the disabled list for the Red Sox.

People have to remember that Cabrera was signed to be the catcher at Louisville. He wasn't expected to be the #2 catcher at Cincinnati from the beginning of May to the end of the season.

While that is true, pretty much any other team would have recognized the bad fit and have done something for it by now rather than force an out of his element and bad fit for the roster type player into a role he has no business being in.

But in true Walt Jocketty fashion, this team just absolutely refuses to make moves or transactions during the season unless it's a life or death (or contract year) situation. And even those nearly don't work out as well.

Which is why I'm glad he'll be out of here after this year and the team might actually try something besides the "set our roster quite literally in stone at the beginning of the season" mode.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:40 PM
In Thom's defense, he really doesn't care about what is going on this game

We're only down one touchdown!

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Yes they can. You always can. You can sure try and hire people who are not going to be flat out A Holes.

And the Reds were doing SO much better while he was gone! Jim Day and Welsh or Cowboy were actually a great broadcast booth. It made the games actually enjoyable instead of an exercise in self torture.

Donder
08-14-2016, 03:42 PM

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:43 PM

9th time this season, impressive. :lol:

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:44 PM
One good thing about viewing at game on tv at Milwaukee....almost always a great rack behind home plate. She's no Linda Antus I'm sure but I'm quite superficial

malcontent
08-14-2016, 03:45 PM
I get a kick out of the constant griping about Thom and Marty. They will be here forever.
Fine by me. But please don't say the Cowboy will be with us forever.

:barf:

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:46 PM

It's not his fault they are feeding him those pitches but I lol'd

Tom Servo
08-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Thom low-key accusing Ramon Cabrera's dad of using steroids.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 03:47 PM

You love Pittsburgh and call Andrew McCutchen "Cutch"

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:50 PM

Alex Cabrera looked awfully young to have a son as old as Ramon.

Donder
08-14-2016, 03:51 PM

I've subscribed to whatever it is that allows you to listen to any broadcast of any game for probably about 6 years now. I used to listen to a lot of other broadcasters (now I have kids and listen to a lot of Disney Jr.). Marty is right at the top of the heap when it comes to play-by-play. I think it's easy to forget how skilled he is at PBP. I can personally overlook his opinions because of his ability to call the game action.

I was just listening to Uecker last night. Obviously another fantastic PBP guy. The thing that struck me last night is that he's critical of Brewers players but he does it with his dry humor that probably rubs less fans the wrong way.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 03:52 PM

Yeah Thom, Alex Cabrera was a real Brady Anderson that one below average half year he played in Arizona.

Jesus.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 03:52 PM
One good thing about viewing at game on tv at Milwaukee....almost always a great rack behind home plate. She's no Linda Antus I'm sure but I'm quite superficial

I think she's the same one that was there Friday night.

WVRedsFan
08-14-2016, 03:57 PM
I've subscribed to whatever it is that allows you to listen to any broadcast of any game for probably about 6 years now. I used to listen to a lot of other broadcasters (now I have kids and listen to a lot of Disney Jr.). Marty is right at the top of the heap when it comes to play-by-play. I think it's easy to forget how skilled he is at PBP. I can personally overlook his opinions because of his ability to call the game action.

I was just listening to Uecker last night. Obviously another fantastic PBP guy. The thing that struck me last night is that he's critical of Brewers players but he does it with his dry humor that probably rubs less fans the wrong way.I agree, but outside of Vin Scully and Dick Enberg and maybe a couple of others who make big bucks, yu coud have John Sterling or the guy in San Diego who is horrible (I like Sterling, but that's just me). Listening to the SD guys today in the car, I just am thankful that he's not our pbp guy. And Jim Day? Absolute homer, but I guess that's what everyone wants.

Donder
08-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Literally every other team's announcers sound multitudes better, more importantly, actually professional than any Reds crew featuring a Brenneman does.

As I just said I think Marty is top notch at radio PBP. But shoot maybe other broadcasting teams have gotten way better in the past couple years. :)

I also think it's unnecessary to lump the two Brennemans together. Thom has never been in the same league as Marty at his best.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Ill take a "homer" over a crotchety old gas bag and his blow dried parrot son every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Not that Jim Day is a homer, he just doesn't go out of his way to point out why the entire franchise should be released unconditionally and then shot out of a cannon into the sun.

BluegrassRedleg
08-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Hate to be down 7-nil, but really enjoying the maturation of Billy Hamilton.

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 04:03 PM
As I just said I think Marty is top notch at radio PBP. But shoot maybe other broadcasting teams have gotten way better in the past couple years. :)

I also think it's unnecessary to lump the two Brennemans together. Thom has never been in the same league as Marty at his best.

I won't contest that Marty is still excellent at PBP when he focuses on it (and Thom has never been great at anything besides doing a bad impression of his dad)

It's just that the times that Marty actually does focus on PBP without interjecting his angry-old-man hot takes are so few and far between now...

He does still call a walk off better than pretty much anyone out there, I'll give you that.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 04:09 PM

They, I mean she looks the same. I could verify but didn't know she had a face.

UnwrittenRules

That would be Front Row Amy. Either has season tickets or a very dedicated fan. Goes to well over 100 games a year I'd say.

http://www.frontrowamy.com/#home

Ironman92

Still wish his voice would change

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 04:10 PM
That would be Front Row Amy. Either has season tickets or a very dedicated fan. Goes to well over 100 games a year I'd say.

Biggest thing I will take away from this thread.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 04:10 PM

Uh, YEAH! Nice pics.

BluegrassRedleg
08-14-2016, 04:11 PM

I want to hear him karaoke a Q-tip song.

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Biggest thing I will take away from this thread.

You need an "s" on the end of "thing"

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 04:12 PM
I want to hear him karaoke a Q-tip song.

I was thinking the deep parts of Elvira

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 04:14 PM

Reading on mobile and had to do a double take, lmao

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 04:22 PM
What exactly is Amy's motivation for being in the front row at every game?

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 04:28 PM

Who cares? lol

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Tony LaRussa would never have let this game happen this way.

/Thom

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 04:40 PM
If Marty would've said Joey is just probably thinking about hitting....not sure I could've disagreed. Geesh ol mighty.

Fil3232
08-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Votto isn't of this world

Wonderful Monds
08-14-2016, 04:42 PM

"Distraction"

Except the other night, I think it kind of backfired and turned into "motivation" for Homer lmao

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Congratulations to Joey Votto, who has passed Ken Griffey, Jr. for eighth place on the Reds all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
1. Johnny Bench - 389
2. Frank Robinson - 324
3. Tony Perez - 287
4. Adam Dunn - 270
5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
6. George Foster - 244
7. Jay Bruce - 233
8. Joey Votto - 211
9. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
10. Eric Davis - 203
11. Barry Larkin - 198
12. Brandon Phillips - 188
13. Vada Pinson - 186
14. Wally Post - 172
15. Gus Bell - 160
16. Joe Morgan - 152
16. Pete Rose - 152
18. Lee May - 147
19. Dan Driessen - 133
20. Reggie Sanders - 125
21. Ernie Lombardi - 120
22. Sean Casey - 118
23. Frank McCormick - 110
24. Todd Frazier - 108
25. Dave Parker - 107
26. Chris Sabo - 104
27. Dave Concepcion - 101

Raisor
08-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Joey Votto, up to the minute:

303/429/514 943 OPS

50YrRedsFan
I agree, but outside of Vin Scully and Dick Enberg and maybe a couple of others who make big bucks, yu coud have John Sterling or the guy in San Diego who is horrible (I like Sterling, but that's just me). Listening to the SD guys today in the car, I just am thankful that he's not our pbp guy. And Jim Day? Absolute homer, but I guess that's what everyone wants.

I assume the guy in San Diego you referred to is Ted Lightner. IMO, he is the worst announce I've ever heard. I have heard better high school announcers.

Ironman92
We used to play games in the backyard and we'd have an uneven number so someone would be all-time QB or all-time point guard or all-time pitcher.

I say we just make Joey all-time hitter.

Donder
08-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Congratulations to Joey Votto, who has passed Ken Griffey, Jr. for eighth place on the Reds all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club

I've been wondering lately if you are going to do this for Billy and stolen bases once he gets to 200. :laugh:

Mutaman
08-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, making his first appearance since the debacle in St Louis----- Tony Cingrani. He's tanned, he's rested, and he walks the first hitter.

Kc61
08-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Apparently if they send him down and bring him back Sept. 1 it won't burn an option. Player has to be down for 20 days to burn an option.

As much as I'd love to pretend I just really know my baseball rules, I must admit that I just learned that from Jamie Ramsey on Twitter.

Given this - while I'd put Reed in the bullpen myself, sending Reed down for two weeks and then right back up is a non-event either way. Two weeks is a yawn, don't care.

It probably helps with fans who can't stand watching him any more. Which I can understand from the team's perspective if they do it.

However they handle it - it would be nice for Reed to have a few outings, even relief outings, in the bigs, with some success before the season ends. Hopefully they can accomplish that.

50YrRedsFan
08-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Who could imagine that Edwin Encarnacion would have 300 HR in his career. More than Joey Votto and Ryan Braun, all in the 32-33 years old range.

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Who cares? lol

I want to know her story. Where did she come from. Where is she going. What's her number.

Mutaman
08-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Tony gets away with throwing a fastball down the pipe on an 0-2 count. Maybe the problem with guys like him and Reed is that they're just not too bright.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 04:57 PM

I wonder what Billy would sound like on helium. Probably only dogs could hear him.

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Tony gets away with throwing a fastball down the pipe on an 0-2 count. Maybe the problem with guys like him and Reed is that they're just not too bright.

I have seen a lot of pitchers not understand what an 0-2 waste pitch is a lot lately....maybe it is the assumption that so many more hitters were taking more pitches and therefore will guess wrong.

WVRedsFan
08-14-2016, 05:01 PM
I assume the guy in San Diego you referred to is Ted Lightner. IMO, he is the worst announce I've ever heard. I have heard better high school announcers.Bingo!! That's him. Couldn't remember his name. Horrible.

Donder
08-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Where did she come from. Where is she going.

I've often wondered the same about Cotton-Eye Joe

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 05:05 PM
On pace for 67-95.

WVRedsFan
08-14-2016, 05:05 PM
As Meat Loaf once said, "Two out of 3 ain't bad."

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 05:06 PM

I have seen a lot of pitchers not understand what an 0-2 waste pitch is a lot lately....maybe it is the assumption that so many more hitters were taking more pitches and therefore will guess wrong.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Given this - while I'd put Reed in the bullpen myself, sending Reed down for two weeks and then right back up is a non-event either way. Two weeks is a yawn, don't care.

It probably helps with fans who can't stand watching him any more. Which I can understand from the team's perspective if they do it.

However they handle it - it would be nice for Reed to have a few outings, even relief outings, in the bigs, with some success before the season ends. Hopefully they can accomplish that.

The bullpen might not be a bad idea. It would limit his innings, give the Reds a second lefty in the pen, and maybe Reed could have some modicum of success before the season is over.

I would move Sampson to Reed's spot in the rotation, as he has pitched well lately when pitching regularly.

Mutaman
08-14-2016, 05:11 PM

I swear I once saw film of Sparky in the dugout just trashing some fellow (Milt Wilcox?) for throwing a hittable pitch on 0-2. He was screaming how you learn not to do that in high school.

Big Klu
08-14-2016, 05:18 PM

And for the record, here's Front Row Amy:

https://allwisconsinathletics.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/front-row-amy.jpg

Ironman92
08-14-2016, 05:19 PM
I want to know her story. Where did she come from. Where is she going. What's her number.

Her number is 38 D

BluegrassRedleg
08-14-2016, 05:33 PM

Tony Cloninger
08-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Her number is 38 D

Hey O!!

cumberlandreds
08-15-2016, 10:28 AM

I'm sorry I missed watching the games this weekend. :)

Big Klu
08-15-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry I missed watching the games this weekend. :)

And get this:

She keeps a scorebook during the game!

http://www.frontrowamy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/AmyScore-2-331x500.jpg

cumberlandreds
08-15-2016, 11:00 AM
What scorebook? :D

Actually I did try to tune into the game yesterday but Fios screwed up and had the game blacked out in my area. I didn't feel like trying to fight customer service over something they probably couldn't resolve by the time the game was over.