PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Wildfires (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge Evacuated)

WVRed
11-29-2016, 09:28 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/11/28/us/southern-fires-gatlinburg-smokies/index.html

The Ripley's Aquarium in Downtown Gatlinburg is currently surrounded by wildfire and the fish and animals in the aquarium were left behind.

There hasn't been any rain in 2-3 months and high winds the next couple of days. I vacationed in Gatlinburg a lot growing up and started taking my son there the last two years. Hoping it's still there in a couple years when we go back.

cumberlandreds
11-29-2016, 01:25 PM
I used go down to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge a lot when I lived in Kentucky. It was a nice place to go for a weekend. I hope they can survive these fires. But it looks like it is going to be devastating for them.

Tom Servo
11-29-2016, 01:32 PM
I went to Gatlinburg a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, hate to hear this.

Reds Fanatic
11-29-2016, 02:34 PM
At least 250 buildings in Gatlinburg have been destroyed. I guess the wind gusts last night got as high as 87 MPH which drove the fire. They did get some rain overnight and more coming today so they say the worst of the fire should be over. I have been to that area 3 times and it is a beautiful area I hate to see go through this.

Cyclone792
11-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Picture taken in June 2016 at Andrews Bald in Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Really beautiful area down there. And Gatlinburg is a quirky kind of fun for a long weekend. I'm hoping they'll rebound and recover soon.

Joseph
11-29-2016, 07:43 PM
I've been multiple times. I think it's a shame what's happening there, and even more a shame that the media and most of the country would rather discuss a Trump tweet than having much in the way of coverage of this.

My prayers are with the fine people of East Tennessee.

WrongVerb
11-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Has there ever been a fire like this in that area in recorded history? How long have they been in drought conditions?

dabvu2498
11-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Has there ever been a fire like this in that area in recorded history? How long have they been in drought conditions?

It's certainly not entirely unheard of. This one is getting so much attention because it hit the main tourist area.

I have cousins that live on the North Carolina side of the Smokies who had fires just up the ridge from them three weeks ago. They were about a half mile from the mandatory evacuation area, but fire service helicopters got it under control. We actually visited about a week later and on our drive over from the Asheville area on the Blue Ridge Parkway, some of the south facing vistas were pretty obscured by smoky haze (more and much darker than normal for the area). We never smelled any burning or saw any fires (until we were driving home and saw a small fire near the TN-KY state line.

I didn't see any draught data, but most locals said they'd had a standard spring, but August, September, and October had seen virtually no rain. The night we left, a storm front moved in, but the winds in front of that rain stirred up the existing fires more. Sounds like the same thing happened in Gatlinburg last night.

WVRed
11-30-2016, 04:44 AM
I've been multiple times. I think it's a shame what's happening there, and even more a shame that the media and most of the country would rather discuss a Trump tweet than having much in the way of coverage of this.

My prayers are with the fine people of East Tennessee.

I cannot like this post enough. Won't comment much more than that because I don't want this moved to the political forum, but it seems like it's not getting the attention it should.

I read that arson was suspected as well. I told my wife yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a fundraiser or some type of concert at Dollywood by the majority of country music singers with all proceeds going to the relief effort.

bounty37h
11-30-2016, 10:26 AM
This is frighteningly amazing video. https://www.facebook.com/lucianoinvestments/videos/1145524975496260/

KronoRed
11-30-2016, 05:54 PM

It's been bad, I'm in NC about 40 miles from this fire, before Sunday it hadn't rained in at least 2 months and the air has smelled like smoke for weeks from the dozens of other fires.

dabvu2498
12-01-2016, 08:03 AM
It's been bad, I'm in NC about 40 miles from this fire, before Sunday it hadn't rained in at least 2 months and the air has smelled like smoke for weeks from the dozens of other fires.

I saw on a press release yesterday that Knoxville had recorded 2.24" or rain in the last 100 days before the storms of Monday evening.

cumberlandreds
12-01-2016, 08:07 AM
The rains thankfully came and now the rebuilding will start. Some areas are just devastated. Our minister sent out an e-mail saying a church affiliated with ours had their building to burn down and he gave out some options to help them.

http://wtop.com/government/2016/12/recovery-begins-as-rains-help-put-out-tennessee-wildfires/

marcshoe
12-01-2016, 03:49 PM
I cannot like this post enough. Won't comment much more than that because I don't want this moved to the political forum, but it seems like it's not getting the attention it should.

I read that arson was suspected as well. I told my wife yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a fundraiser or some type of concert at Dollywood by the majority of country music singers with all proceeds going to the relief effort.

That would be a good boost for their careers as well, since country singers don't get played on the radio anymore. :p

My news-watching the last few days has involved switching around and looking for news of these fires. It's scary to think how quickly the whole town could have disappeared. Such things have happened in the past, and while they're less likely now because of building standards and the like, nature remains red in tooth and claw.

RichRed
12-03-2016, 10:35 AM

I live about 20 miles south of Asheville and it's been downright spooky how dark from smoke the sky has been at times. People coughing, wearing masks even indoors...it's been bad. And we're not even in the midst of the worst of it. I really feel for those who were more directly affected. What a relief it was to finally get some rain.

OnBaseMachine
12-03-2016, 11:40 AM
We were just down there three weeks ago, and while the wildfires weren't visible, the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area was smokier than usual and you could smell smoke for miles. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is our home away from home. We visit multiple times a year, including again next week to celebrate our two year wedding anniversary. Our cabin owner called to inform us a few days ago that our rental cabin is still intact and encouraged us to still come visit. That area thrives on tourism and they are hoping people keep their plans to visit. As devestating as the fires were, it could have been worse. At one point Tuesday morning there were reports that Gatlinburg was completely destroyed. Thankfully they proved to be false. The main strip was spared, as was Dollywood and the Aquariam.

I'm just praying no more lives are lost. I wish there was something we could do to help.