PDA

View Full Version : 2/28/17 - Preseason Game 5 - Quest for a Win

membengal
02-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Because, well, it would be nice win a game, even a practice one.

Finnegan today to start.

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Leadoff double for Sox, next three Finnegan gets out but the run scores.

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Say! Peraza single and SB, one out later a Votto walk, and then Duvall a 2-run double to CF.

Also, Marty said after Votto's walk "that's what Votto does, gets on base" which I will count as either growth from him OR maybe Williams has gotten to him. Either way, I was pre-cringing at "that's what Votto does..." and it was ok.

And now Raburn has homered. So Reds up 4-1 in first.

TRF
02-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Say! Peraza single and SB, one out later a Votto walk, and then Duvall a 2-run double to CF.

Also, Marty said after Votto's walk "that's what Votto does, gets on base" which I will count as either growth from him OR maybe Williams has gotten to him. Either way, I was pre-cringing at "that's what Votto does..." and it was ok.

And now Raburn The 2017 Dewayne Wise ST Man of the Year Winner has homered. So Reds up 4-1 in first.

Fixed that for ya. thanks for the updates gameday is down for me.

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Glad to help for a bit.

Also, in other exhibition news, the Rays are beating the Twins 18-0 in the 8th and the Twins haven't had a baserunner. Without looking it up, that is on pace for one historic, perhaps unprecedented, spring training beatdown...

Finnegan with an easy 2nd, getting last out on a K.

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Marty puzzling/being kinda grumpy over why, if Cozart is 100%, he hasn't played in a game yet. Says, if he's really 100%, why isn't he playing like Votto and others have already.

- - - Updated - - -

Better safe than sorry was the response, but Marty ain't thrilled with that answer.

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Superflous J with a one out hit, then Peraza gets a hit on a 3-2 pitch with Superflous running, runners on the corners.

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Peraza swipes second, Jennings works the count full and hits a sac fly, runner moves up to third. 5-1 Reds - Votto flies out, Reds up at end of second 5-1.

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Fun game as Iglesias on the mound for the Reds now. Kelch on the mic.

Raisor
02-28-2017, 03:54 PM
If Cozart sits out all spring does that help or hurt his trade value?

membengal
02-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Spring is SO long this year due to WBC, not sure why anyone coming back from injury or someone they are being cautious with would rush into action, but maybe that's just me. Iglesias with two quick outs including a K. Easy smooth inning for Iglesias. Nice to listen to Kelch again too. He's grown on me over the years.

membengal
02-28-2017, 04:13 PM
The Reds did not score in the 3rd, though Schebler did draw a walk. Though he didn't do it Amelia Bedelia style and actually draw a walk, sadly, because that would have been awesome. Oh Amelia Bedelia, how hilariously literal you always were...

membengal
02-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Iglesias all bored with cruising, gives up back to back singles to start the 4th, putting runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs. Having sufficiently challenged himself, he gets a K and then a double play to end the inning. 5-1 middle of 4.

membengal
02-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Reds go quietly in their half of the 4th.

The day of interesting pitching for the Reds continues, with Drew Storen on the bump to start the 5th.

membengal
02-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Drew Storen not pulling his weight toward an exhibition win, has given up a triple, walk and single to the first three batters he's seen. 5-2 Red, still no one out in 5th. I may send him to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle for some ironic discipline.

membengal
02-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Threatened with Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Storen gets a K and a ground out, but then he gives up a single and two runs score. Now 5-4 Reds with a runner on first. Storen being taken out to think about what he did.

membengal
02-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Astin in to try and put out the fire started by Storen.

membengal
02-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Astin gets out of it with a K.

5-4 Reds middle of 5.

I am about to head home, so won't be able to add to the thread after this, but the quest for a win still has hope. Until it doesn't.

IndianaRed
02-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Bottom of 5th

Desmond Jennings ... Down 0-2, battles back to get to a full count, then strikes out swinging

Joey Votto ... base hit. JV's first hit of the spring

Adam Duvall ... grounds out to SS

Ryan Raburn ... walked

Scott Schebler ... fly out to RF

IndianaRed
02-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Jumbo Diaz to start the 6th

2 hits allowed ... 2 runs.

Both runs scored on an error by Renda.

6-5 White Sox

Tom Servo
02-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Neifi Ogando touched up for 3 runs, I have no particular illusions of him making the team so whatevs.

Austin Brice gave up another walk and run, I do envision him making the team so hopefully he starts getting it together.

corkedbat
02-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Bottom of 5th

Desmond Jennings ... Down 0-2, battles back to get to a full count, then strikes out swinging

Joey Votto ... base hit. JV's first hit of the spring

Adam Duvall ... grounds out to SS

Ryan Raburn ... walked

Scott Schebler ... fly out to RF

Starting late again I see.

Tom Servo
02-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Dilson Herrera is 4-5 with 2 walks and 2 doubles so far in spring training.

Raisor
02-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Dilson Herrera is 4-5 with 2 walks and 2 doubles so far in spring training.

Considering the small sample size hot takes that have been going on: HALL OF FAME BABY!!!!

Ron Madden
03-01-2017, 12:35 AM
Marty puzzling/being kinda grumpy over why, if Cozart is 100%, he hasn't played in a game yet. Says, if he's really 100%, why isn't he playing like Votto and others have already.

- - - Updated - - -

Better safe than sorry was the response, but Marty ain't thrilled with that answer.

Reds Up Next: Reds fans can look to Wednesday's 3:05 p.m. ET game against the Brewers in Maryvale for Zack Cozart's Cactus League debut. Cozart was scratched from Tuesday's lineup due to concerns about the wet field and his recovery from the patellar tendinitis in his right knee that sidelined him for the final 21 games of the 2016 season. "He's not an injured player," manager Bryan Price said. "He had an injury, he had some issues with that last year, and I'm not going to be reckless."

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/217467908/garcia-raps-four-hits-for-rallying-white-sox/

Big Klu
03-01-2017, 03:24 AM
Neifi Ogando touched up for 3 runs, I have no particular illusions of him making the team so whatevs.

Austin Brice gave up another walk and run, I do envision him making the team so hopefully he starts getting it together.

I don't know who either of those guys are, and that makes me sad.

membengal
03-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Reds Up Next: Reds fans can look to Wednesday's 3:05 p.m. ET game against the Brewers in Maryvale for Zack Cozart's Cactus League debut. Cozart was scratched from Tuesday's lineup due to concerns about the wet field and his recovery from the patellar tendinitis in his right knee that sidelined him for the final 21 games of the 2016 season. "He's not an injured player," manager Bryan Price said. "He had an injury, he had some issues with that last year, and I'm not going to be reckless."

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/217467908/garcia-raps-four-hits-for-rallying-white-sox/

That article should have been entitled, "Suck it, Marty"