PDA

View Full Version : 3/3/2017 Preseason Game 8 - Reds @ Baby Bears

Tom Servo
03-03-2017, 10:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ASsMck0.jpg?1

Adleman gets the start.

membengal
03-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Price on the pre-game with Marty talking about Garrett - praises the slider, his throwing the ball over the plate, and says "overall he's been very impressive".

membengal
03-03-2017, 03:07 PM
There's nothing Brantley likes more than a "try hard" pitcher like Adelman, by the way...

membengal
03-03-2017, 03:09 PM
All Peraza does is hit. Gets a line drive what should have been just a single but slices away from Cubs CF, so tack on a two-base error, Peraza at 3b.

Cozart K, Suarez RBI single, Reds get on the board early.

By the way, Joe Maddon still makes me laugh - his batting order today is what he calls the Cape Canaveral - he is going 9,8,7,6, DH,5,4,3,2, (1). Awesome.

Schebler Ks.

Herrera K'd.

Mike Montgomery with a nice inning, actually. I hope he isn't another Cubs pitching find.

The ads are making it hard for me to post today, keep locking up and jumping my screen.

membengal
03-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Trying to post before ad locks me up.

1- 0 Reds still, top of 3rd. Peraza just singled again. Reds have runners at 1st and 2nd. Infield hit for Cozart loads the bases. I believe there is one out might be no outs, Suarez up.

Suarez HBP, 2-0 Reds, bases still loaded. Reds doing this off someone named Aaron Brooks.

Schebler lines out to 1b, bad luck, he hit it hard, that is the first out of the inning.

Now Herrera HBP, Maddon has seen enough, take out the pitcher. Reds up 3-0, bases still loaded.

membengal
03-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Reds are up 7-0, more runs in third and another in the 4th. I was not able to listen. I do note that BobSteve came in for the 4th and got the side in order with 2 Ks, which is great to see. Adelman pitched 3 scoreless innings prior.

Two more outs including another K for BobSteve in 5th, five batters faced and five outs so far, no control issues.

membengal
03-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Great two innings for Stephenson. 4 Ks, 6 outs recorded. Really great to see. Hoping maybe he goes a 3rd inning, but don't know who else slated for work today.

RedsfaninMT
03-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Gameday shows BobSteve with 14 pitches, all strikes. Love to know how you get 4 K's with 14 pitches? Only one pitch for each of the other outs?

HokieRed
03-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Great two innings for Stephenson. 4 Ks, 6 outs recorded. Really great to see. Hoping maybe he goes a 3rd inning, but don't know who else slated for work today.

14 pitches, all strikes

Raisor
03-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Too bad it's too late for Stephenson

membengal
03-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Too bad it's too late for Stephenson

Less late than it was if he will throw strikes. The last two years did happen, you know. Throwing strikes this spring is job one. He's doing that today. Which is great news.

ETA: I am not even sure who are you are reacting to. If someone said he was done after 1 inning for the spring, that's silly. If it is M2 saying he needed to pitch better, you are mischaracterizing what M2 was saying (and me by extension)...

membengal
03-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Blake Wood on for the 6th for the Reds, Reds still up 7-0.

Tom Servo
03-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Gameday shows BobSteve with 14 pitches, all strikes. Love to know how you get 4 K's with 14 pitches? Only one pitch for each of the other outs?
I'm pretty sure in the preseason MLB.com just half-asses it and doesn't go into balls-strikes. A strikeout = 3 pitches. A walk = 4 pitches. An out = 1 pitch.

HokieRed
03-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Kivlehan goes deep. 8-0

RedsfaninMT
03-03-2017, 05:01 PM
I'm pretty sure in the preseason MLB.com just half-asses it and doesn't go into balls-strikes. A strikeout = 3 pitches. A walk = 4 pitches. An out = 1 pitch.

Yes, they just showed Cubs pitcher with 3 pitches all strikes, but Kivlehan hit his HR off a 3-1 pitch. And yes, I get a K = 3 pitches, just saying that he would have had to have had 4 K's on 3 strikes each, and gotten the other batters on one pitch. Possible, but HIGHLY unlikely.

dougdirt
03-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Yes, they just showed Cubs pitcher with 3 pitches all strikes, but Kivlehan hit his HR off a 3-1 pitch. And yes, I get a K = 3 pitches, just saying that he would have had to have had 4 K's on 3 strikes each, and gotten the other batters on one pitch. Possible, but HIGHLY unlikely.

When there's not actual pitch tracking, this is how it goes.

HokieRed
03-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Thanks, guys, for the Gameday clarification. Hadn't realized this.

Tom Servo
03-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Kivlehan playing 3B, I forgot that he was a third baseman by trade in the minors. Could help his chances of sneaking onto the bench, playing both the infield corners and the outfield.

HokieRed
03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Jumbo in. Gives up two of his specialties. 8-4

03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Reds pitchers had a no hitter going into the 9th. Jumbo came on to pitch the 9th. It's now 8-4.

dougdirt
03-03-2017, 05:29 PM
8th. Not 9th.

HokieRed
03-03-2017, 05:29 PM
8th. Not 9th.

Right. Sorry.

Tom Servo
03-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Vintage Yumbo

03-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Right. Sorry.

Stop stealing my apology ;)

HokieRed
03-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Stop stealing my apology ;)

I'm still confused about the number of strikes Stephenson threw.

dougdirt
03-03-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm still confused about the number of strikes Stephenson threw.

At least 14.

membengal
03-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Diaz annoys me. Still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kc61
03-03-2017, 06:32 PM
I don't consider Diaz a lock for the bullpen on OD. If one of the young starters does ok, like Stephenson for example, I could see the Reds using him in the MLB bullpen instead of Jumbo. Still think Stephenson has much to prove before being a serious rotation candidate.

Cubs didn't trot out much of a lineup today, but it's good to see some effective pitching. I see Adleman having a serious chance at the rotation on OD. A stop gap, perhaps, but a good one.

klw
03-03-2017, 07:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_j8W-SDefU

Reds win 8-4

corkedbat
03-03-2017, 07:55 PM
I don't consider Diaz a lock for the bullpen on OD. If one of the young starters does ok, like Stephenson for example, I could see the Reds using him in the MLB bullpen instead of Jumbo. Still think Stephenson has much to prove before being a serious rotation candidate.

Cubs didn't trot out much of a lineup today, but it's good to see some effective pitching. I see Adleman having a serious chance at the rotation on OD. A stop gap, perhaps, but a good one.

Iggy, Lorenzen, Storen, Cingrani. If healthy, 4 of seven spots are probably locked down. A 2nd lefty would be five and I'd be surprised if they didn't have a secondary starter that doesn't make the rotation cut like Feldman, Arroyo, Adelman, Bonilla, etc. for the long spot (6). That leaves one middle relief spot (7). I'm hoping they move on from Diaz so that would probably put Wood in the driver seat for that last berth although there's always the chance one of the young guys shows out and takes that spot. There's no way that Stephenson (or Reed or Garrett for that matter) would even be a consideration if it were my call.

Despite his control problems, BobSteve is sill a valuable prospect with three good to great pitches if he is locating well. Being a middleman and fourth or fifth option in the Reds BP (with the inconsistent work that goes with the role) does zero for the kid and even less for the Reds. As long as he is here, he needs to be either in the L'Ville or Cincy rotation consistently working every fifth day. For the last two or three years, I've penciled him in as a fixture in the Reds rotation. That's no longer written in stone, but still not out of the question either.

I work him as a starter and try to improve his consistency. If, by the end of this season, he is not showing signs of putting it together, I seriously think about including him in a deal with say, Duvall, Suarez, or even Billy along with another piece or two in a deal to find an upgrade in the rotation. Even with another season of mediocre results, I think there's bound to be at least two or three clubs that see his tools and believe they can fix him. He might not be centerpiece material, but if you do something like combine him with Disco, Suarez or Duvall and maybe Mes or Ervin (after bounce back years) or a youngin' like Trammell, Friedl or even TySteve and you might get something interesting in return. That's not going to happen though if BobSteve wastes away in the Reds bullpen.

texasdave
03-03-2017, 08:30 PM

If you plan on striking out a batter, you simply inform the umpire who then points to the dugout. The batter returns to the dugout, and play resumes with the next batter. A real timesaver. No pitches thrown.

dougdirt
03-03-2017, 09:46 PM

When there's not a pitch tracking system in the park, this is how it goes.

ScotlandRed
03-04-2017, 04:40 AM
Delighted with that outing from Stephenson and man I am excited about Peraza. Only ST but all he seems to do is hit.

cobike
03-04-2017, 10:52 AM
The Reds need to keep Jumbo around, he'd make a great batting practice pitcher.

Good to see that the pitchers are going 3 innings this early in training. Back through Baker's time, it has seemed each year, to me, that the Reds have been among the last teams to stretch the starters from 2 to 3 innings, then from 3 to 4-5. A cursory look at box scores from yesterday shows that probably over half the teams did not have a pitcher go 3. It might not mean anything, but I take it as a slight positive that the Reds are now among the earlier ones to stretch them out.