PDA

View Full Version : 3.27.17 Reds v Giants - battle for the bench spots

klw
03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Today's lineup is in no way an audition for all the guys who are fighting for the last bench spots, it is a mere coincidence that they are all in the lineup.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C77vhzYV4AI8VH6.jpg

westofyou
03-27-2017, 04:19 PM
Turned on the radio, heard Marty... then heard Thom.

I'm not ready for that.

I changed feeds, I feel better

OnBaseMachine
03-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Apparently nobody wants to win a spot in the Reds rotation. Cody Reed probably just needs to avoid a complete disaster in order to lock up a spot, so he responds by walking Denard Span and Brandon Belt to begin the first inning. After retiring Pence and Posey, Crawford and Aaron Hill single in runs. 2-0 Giants after one inning.

OnBaseMachine
03-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Reed hits Panik and walks Bumgarner to begin the second inning.

membengal
03-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Reed having one of his outings where he has no idea exactly where the ball is going. Except that he knows it isn't going over home plate very much.

Tom Servo
03-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Scoreless third for Reed, still no strikeouts so the line remains uggo but at least it's something.

klw
03-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Apparently nobody wants to win a spot in the Reds rotation. . We are also in that phase of the Spring when pitchers complain of dead arms. I wonder that and how well they all did last time around are playing into this dud filled run through the rotation.

Tom Servo
03-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Cody getting lit up again in the 4th. Some solace:

Zach Buchanan‏
@ZachENQ 37s37 seconds ago
Cody Reed is not being helped by the fact that Hernan Iribarren is in left and Sebastian Elizalde is in right

Tom Servo
03-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Mark Sheldon‏Verified account @m_sheldon 1m1 minute ago
Reed's tough day got harder liner hit him and knocked glove off. Was checked out and will remain. But he's down 6-0 in 4th. #reds

The literal Charlie Brown thing, cool. I think the Reds gotta scrap some arms together for the big league rotation and let Reed get back in track in AAA. Reed, Stephenson, Garrett, Romano, and Jackson Stephens battling it out in Louisville to get the call with Rookie Davis in the rotation, that's what I'd do.

Tom Servo
03-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Reed's line is out of hand bad. 3.2 innings, 10 hits, 4 walks, 0 strikeouts, 10 earned runs.

Keep this in mind when you call for a guy to be thrown into the deep end.

Raisor
03-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Mark Sheldon‏Verified account @m_sheldon 1m1 minute ago
Reed's tough day got harder liner hit him and knocked glove off. Was checked out and will remain. But he's down 6-0 in 4th. #reds

The literal Charlie Brown thing, cool. I think the Reds gotta scrap some arms together for the big league rotation and let Reed get back in track in AAA. Reed, Stephenson, Garrett, Romano, and Jackson Stephens battling it out in Louisville to get the call with Rookie Davis in the rotation, that's what I'd do.

Adleman and a waiver pick up?

Rotation of Feldman, Finnegan, Arroyo, Adleman, and a waiver pick up? Because why waste the service time of Davis?

Tom Servo
03-27-2017, 05:20 PM

Rotation of Feldman, Finnegan, Arroyo, Adleman, and a waiver pick up? Because why waste the service time of Davis?
I'd be fine with that, but Davis is throwing the ball with confidence and I don't know that he's someone I necessarily see as being some key cog in six years.

Raisor
03-27-2017, 05:24 PM
I'd be fine with that, but Davis is throwing the ball with confidence and I don't know that he's someone I necessarily see as being some key cog in six years.

its two weeks. If they have to wait on Romano and Garrett, then they should wait on Davis. If they decide to go with an all stiff rotation (excepting Finnegan) what's an extra 10 days?

kaldaniels
03-27-2017, 05:25 PM

Waiver pickup eh...Mat Latos didn't make the Jays...

Don't even think about it.

ochoa30
03-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Talk about choking. Guy had a spot locked up with just a decent outing and then boom. 10 runs, ouch. Hopefully he can get right in triple a quickly because the reds need this guy to solidly a spot this year.

Tom Servo
03-27-2017, 05:27 PM
its two weeks. If they have to wait on Romano and Garrett, then they should wait on Davis. If they decide to go with an all stiff rotation (excepting Finnegan) what's an extra 10 days?
Rookie isn't in the same league as Romano and Garrett as a prospect though.

RustyJ
03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Rookie isn't in the same league as Romano and Garrett as a prospect though.

Not Romano, but he might well have the same mid rotation ceiling as Garrett now that he's healthy.

Tom Servo
03-27-2017, 05:52 PM
Not Romano, but he might well have the same mid rotation ceiling as Garrett now that he's healthy.
I'm hopeful, but there's a reason even before the 2016 season that Garrett was rated a top 100 prospect and Rookie wasn't.

50YrRedsFan
03-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Signed on to see today's game results. OUCH! 14-2 loss to SF. And after yesterday's game against the Cubs. It seems it will be another long year.

ScotlandRed
03-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Worth noting that this was an AAA vs MLB game basically with Bumgarner starting for SF. Yes Reeds start is disappointing but the result shouldn't really matter.