PDA

View Full Version : Kombucha

Dom Heffner
04-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Any drinkers here?

I'm pretty hooked and it is putting a dent in my wallet.

First time I drank it I looked at my wife and told her to take her hippie soda elsewhere lol....

I'm a one a day-er now.

westofyou
04-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Yeech... they sell it on tap here, not a fan much

wolfboy
04-04-2017, 10:14 AM
I'm a big fan. I need to learn how to make it. Stuff is pricey.

Sea Ray
04-04-2017, 11:10 AM
I think I'll wait until they iron out some of these adverse effects:

Reports of adverse effects related to kombucha consumption are rare. It is unclear whether this is because adverse effects are rare, or just underreported.[1] The American Cancer Society says that "Serious side effects and occasional deaths have been associated with drinking Kombucha tea".[3]

Adverse effects associated with kombucha consumption include severe hepatic (liver) and renal (kidney) toxicity as well as metabolic acidosis.[7][8][9] At least one person is known to have died after consuming kombucha, though the drink itself has never been conclusively proved a cause of death.[10][11]

Some adverse health effects may be due to the acidity of the tea, which can cause acidosis, and brewers have been cautioned to avoid over-fermentation.[12][13] Other adverse health effects may be a result of bacterial or fungal contamination during the brewing process.[13] Some studies have found the hepatotoxin usnic acid in kombucha, although it is not known whether the cases of damage to the liver are due to the usnic acid contamination or to some other toxin.[8][14]

Topical use of the tea has been associated with anthrax infection on the skin in one report, but kombucha contamination may have occurred during storage.[1]

Due to its microbial sourcing and possible non-sterile packaging, kombucha is not recommended in people with poor immune function,[2] in women who are pregnant or nursing, or in children under 4 years old.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

I'm not risking organ failure on some new found drink

Bob Sheed
04-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Gee sounds great. What could go wrong?

Rojo
04-04-2017, 03:27 PM
The emerging research on gut biome is pretty interesting, especially the idea that your stomach is a "second brain".

I don't drink kombucha, but I'm thinking of making my own sauerkraut.

These jars are supposed to make it easy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJVVORE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AOQ9H4NZQNA9L

Kingspoint
04-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Big-time. Most Kombucha has been commercialized like Sports Drinks...loaded with too much sugar negating the positive effects.

I drink the Humm brand out of Bend, Oregon. Nice gals run the place and it's on tap there. My spouse and daughter were getting their's from a local brewer called Soma filling from the tap. I've convinced them to go with the less sugar that comes from the "Original" Humm flavor, 4 gms/8 oz. Most Kombucha flavors have twice that, 8 gms/8 oz. My spouse just found one from Lion's Head, Raspberry Harvest, that is only 2 gms/8 oz. She gets it at New Seasons. Kroger pissed me off over the Summer by refusing to put the "Original" Humm flavor in their Fred Meyer stores, but for four months in a 100 X 50 mile area as we went on our travels I cleaned all of their stocks out (probably 20 cases) at a half-priced discount until they finally banned the upc code from being accepted at the store entrances. I had a few managers special ordering them for me. I drank 2-3 per day, as did the daughter and the spouse drank about 1 to 1-1/2.

I drink it cold, warm, doesn't matter, but prefer chilled. We keep them in the garage and we have to get a new frig in the house anyway, so we'll put the old one in the garage when Summer gets here.

We all drink about one per day now.

My Spouse just had some Kiefer culture arrive in the mail today so we'll start making our own of that using any extra raw milk that we get locally that we don't drink in time. Got to have those healthy bacteria in your body.

Dom Heffner
04-05-2017, 01:52 AM
I think I'll wait until they iron out some of these adverse effects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

I'm not risking organ failure on some new found drink

It originated in China in 221 BC.

Maybe we'll give it some more time...you never know with these fads.

Dom Heffner
04-05-2017, 01:54 AM
Gee sounds great. What could go wrong?

Yeah, real dangerous.

You hear about people dying all the time from drinking tea.

Very risky.

Kingspoint
04-05-2017, 02:02 AM
You mentioned the price. I've noticed the industry charges about 20¢/oz, tap or bottle regardless of volume purchased. We don't drink enough to buy it by the keg, even when we were drinking a lot of it, as it gets stale. It tastes so much better from the tap, though. My daughter doesn't like the carbonation, but my Spouse and I do. So, we look for deals. Natural Grocers, where I get it now (it's hard to even find the kind I like as I have spoken with the Salesman from Humm who said they are working on Kroger to get it back), had it for a $1 off per bottle for a month. New Seasons had all their Kombucha half-price for two weeks. I had that 4-month span of half-price from Kroger. New Seasons has a Senior Discount of 10% that the Mother-in-Law can use on Wednesdays plus a case discount of 10%. Eating healthy isn't cheap. My Spouse's philisophy is that she worked hard enough to earn the money so she doesn't have to worry about it. It doesn't stop me from finding discounts and bargains whereever I can, as long as I don't compromise good health. We don't use microwaves, plastic, non-stick surfaces such as teflon, etc. You don't want to know all of their healthy choices that she makes. It's hard to keep up with her. She's a Pharmacist who is the opposite of most in her profession as she's really into nutrition and preventative maintenance.

Kingspoint
04-05-2017, 02:35 AM
Don't trust studies like the one Sea Ray linked. That one, without even having looked at it, I can guarantee isn't quoting an actual study that was done using control groups and specific Kombucha's.

The American Dairy industry has paid for many doped up studies in order to have quotable sources to use before government agencies in order to argue that the usage of raw milk is or can be dangerous to your health. Even government agencies have paid for many doped up studies to accomplish the same thing. The truth is that there is not one study that exists that proves it to be true. I have read in detail every study that has been quoted and none of them lead to their stated conclusions.

The reality is that anyone who has a compromised immune system, the elderly, the young, heavy drinkers, HIV infected patients, etc., should refrain from introducing healthy microbes and bacteria like those found in raw milk, keifer, possibly Kombucha (it's a smaller amount than Keifer or raw milk) into their system. It's possible that they could get diarrhea, but it's not going to kill them. The elderly might not get used to it, children will adjust in three months (our daughter had no problem), HIV patients and others with weakened immune systems can just stop if they don't adjust. It won't kill them.

The only way bad bacteria can get into the milk is if the farmer is unsanitary handling the tit. It's not introduced any other way. There's no anthrax in the field that the cows eat that pasteurization kills like the Paul Muni movie. Know your farmer. We do. Do you know where your fish is caught? You should. We do.

This is just a personal opinion, but based on the research I read, I feel that if one of your parents was raised on a farm where they drank raw milk that you are less likely to have a reaction to it's healthy microbes, as I believe some of them were passed on through birth.

Razor Shines
04-05-2017, 07:12 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/eb920fc45a545d0f75ddfe486f748e53.jpg

I hadn't heard of this before I read this thread last night. Out of curiosity I decided to stop by the grocery right near my house this morning. I honestly didn't know if I'd even find any and goodness gracious there's an entire bay of it.

I picked one with the least amount of sugar and I'll give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dom Heffner
04-05-2017, 08:58 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/eb920fc45a545d0f75ddfe486f748e53.jpg

I hadn't heard of this before I read this thread last night. Out of curiosity I decided to stop by the grocery right near my house this morning. I honestly didn't know if I'd even find any and goodness gracious there's an entire bay of it.

I picked one with the least amount of sugar and I'll give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Synergy ones but make sure you start with something fruity. It's a weird taste at first and the sugar helps. Once you "get" it you can het into sone of the weirder ones lol...

My only issue with Stmergy is that Ive gottem lots of flat bottles- the carbonation is what makes it awesome.

Kingspoint
04-05-2017, 02:21 PM
I like the Synergy ones but make sure you start with something fruity. It's a weird taste at first and the sugar helps. Once you "get" it you can het into sone of the weirder ones lol...

My only issue with Stmergy is that Ive gottem lots of flat bottles- the carbonation is what makes it awesome.

You'll have to find a Kombucha Bar in your area and taste what they have on tap. Freshness is everything regarding taste and especially the carbonation. Most of the bottles were filled 2-4 months before you finally end up drinking them.

Dom Heffner
04-05-2017, 02:46 PM
You'll have to find a Kombucha Bar in your area and taste what they have on tap. Freshness is everything regarding taste and especially the carbonation. Most of the bottles were filled 2-4 months before you finally end up drinking them.

Ive never heard of a kombucha bar- going to try that. Thanks for the advice.

As you said eating healthy isnt cheap and with different folks running these agencies that control our food Im bot just eating anything anymore.

Great stuff, Kingspoint. Like you we look for sales constantly, utiilize coupons, just for this sort of thing.