PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone own an RV?

dougdirt
07-17-2017, 03:08 PM
So, long story short, I've been contemplating getting an RV, or possibly building out a Van as a camper van in order to do lots more traveling next season for baseball. I believe in the long run it will save me money on hotel rooms as well as allow me to stay in locations longer and thus produce more and better content.

Obviously, I'd be going with something used because I'm not exactly rolling in cash. Lately I've been looking at some RV's that are in that 16-20 foot range, Class C ones.

I've got a few questions, though, as someone who has never owned, or even spent more than two minutes in one: First, while I could call the BMV and find out, I read the site and was left still wondering if I'd need a special license to drive one. Second, if you are one that can't park them at your residence, what does it typically cost to pay to park them at a yard/facility? What are some of the things that maybe a 1st time buyer wouldn't think to look into when shopping on the used market?

bucksfan2
07-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Are you mechanically inclined? RV's are constant work to keep them up and going. From the parts perspective, a lot of converted RV's are specialized and are difficult to get parts for. It doesn't sound like you are going to go big or are willing to take them to an authorized dealer and spend big bucks to get it repaired.

I don't believe you need a special drivers license for a smaller RV.

RedTeamGo!
07-17-2017, 03:43 PM
I think you'd be better off with one of those Transit Connect's. Good MPG, easy upkeep, drives like a car, etc.

Doesn't have a toilet, but that's what the woods, Target (I am a sales rep, on average cleanest bathrooms), and Gatorade bottles are for

dougdirt
07-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Are you mechanically inclined? RV's are constant work to keep them up and going. From the parts perspective, a lot of converted RV's are specialized and are difficult to get parts for. It doesn't sound like you are going to go big or are willing to take them to an authorized dealer and spend big bucks to get it repaired.

I don't believe you need a special drivers license for a smaller RV.

I've never done any real work on a car - I can change oil, I can change brakes and rotors and such. With that said, I have tools, know how to use them and am certainly not someone who has never worked on things. Just never really done much work on cars. My dad was a mechanic, so unless it was a transmission problem, he would just take care of anything. On that same note, I do have a buddy who is a mechanic and has his own shop (who I've gone to twice since my dad died and have been quite happy with the service), and I've got another guy that I grew up with who is a diesel mechanic if I did decide to go that route - though I am leaning more towards gas than diesel at this point.

The mechanical stuff is something that I've thought about. There's always that concern when getting anything used, though. Fortunately, we live in a time where the internet exists and how-to videos are all over youtube. While I certainly wouldn't tackle something major, smaller things are something that I'm confident that I could handle if something did pop up while on the road. Before buying anything I would have it checked out by a mechanic, just to be on the safe side.

As for the parts being difficult to get, that isn't something I had really thought about before and something I will look into as far as what kind of things to avoid when shopping around.

dougdirt
07-17-2017, 03:46 PM
I think you'd be better off with one of those Transit Connect's. Good MPG, easy upkeep, drives like a car, etc.

Doesn't have a toilet, but that's what the woods, Target (I am a sales rep, on average cleanest bathrooms), and Gatorade bottles are for

I've looked into them. I'm just thinking that at the price - ~$26,000 before doing any actual build out (which I figure I could do for another $2500), is just a bit outside of my budget. Where as I think I can get an RV with 50-60,000 miles on it, granted something from around 1990, for about $5K on the secondary market and probably spend a little bit of extra money to customize it to better fit my needs. And, if I do things right, I might be able to do it without owing any actual money in the end. More risk because it's not exactly "new", but significantly cheaper and no debt.

Oh, and FTR, if I do wind up going the van route, there will absolutely be a toilet of some kind. I need four things: A bed, a toilet, a fridge and a desk. Those are non-negotiables.

kaldaniels
07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0367/6129/products/luggable-loo-toilet-bucket-seat-with-lid-640_2048x@2x.jpg?v=1477302873

There's one of the four must-haves. You are welcome sir.

dougdirt
07-17-2017, 04:07 PM
There's one of the four must-haves. You are welcome sir.

Lol. I'd definitely go a different route. There are a few different options that, while more expensive, are much, much better for everyone involved.

bucksfan2
07-17-2017, 04:07 PM
I've looked into them. I'm just thinking that at the price - ~$26,000 before doing any actual build out (which I figure I could do for another $2500), is just a bit outside of my budget. Where as I think I can get an RV with 50-60,000 miles on it, granted something from around 1990, for about $5K on the secondary market and probably spend a little bit of extra money to customize it to better fit my needs. And, if I do things right, I might be able to do it without owing any actual money in the end. More risk because it's not exactly "new", but significantly cheaper and no debt.

Oh, and FTR, if I do wind up going the van route, there will absolutely be a toilet of some kind. I need four things: A bed, a toilet, a fridge and a desk. Those are non-negotiables.

My knowledge on RV's is somewhat limited. I will say this, in your price range you are getting something that is 25+ years old. Unless you are buying it from someone who has owned it from day one, it is going to have been used and abused hard over the years. Now mechanically, a lot of the stuff under the hood is not to difficult to work on. If you buy a Chevy or Ford you are pretty much using the same frame as say an E450 so a majority of the parts are the same. However, with a car that old, you are going to get some headaches that go along with aging. The biggest issue that I hear about with RV's is electrical. The electrical wiring is much more extensive in a RV than in your average car. Couple that with the fact that the vehicle is older, an a lot of the original wiring may have been replaced to a lesser degree. Think about a house 25 years old, how much things change, what has been replaced and what needs replacing. Some may be easy, others difficult. Add that to the intricacies of a RV and could have an electrical headache. The last think you want is a fridge that keeps shorting out because of faulty wiring. If your mechanic buddy is good with electrical wiring (he should tell you if he is) bring him along to check anything you are interested in.

On an aside, have you looked into pull behind campers?

BillDoran
07-17-2017, 04:10 PM
What about the smaller teardrop or wave trailers/campers? Seems to offer the amenities you're looking for, might keep the costs down a bit and you can likely rely on your existing vehicle. Certainly no authority here. Just a thought.

RedTeamGo!
07-17-2017, 04:11 PM
You have to factor in MPG as well. What is a 1990 RV getting? 4 mpg? My cousin bought a 20+ year old RV thinking he and his wife were going to save money on vacations. They drove from Toledo to Statesville, NC and spent hundreds of dollars on gas, would have been much cheaper to just get a hotel. When they got back to Toledo they immediately put it up for sale in the paper.

dougdirt
07-17-2017, 04:13 PM
My knowledge on RV's is somewhat limited. I will say this, in your price range you are getting something that is 25+ years old. Unless you are buying it from someone who has owned it from day one, it is going to have been used and abused hard over the years. Now mechanically, a lot of the stuff under the hood is not to difficult to work on. If you buy a Chevy or Ford you are pretty much using the same frame as say an E450 so a majority of the parts are the same. However, with a car that old, you are going to get some headaches that go along with aging. The biggest issue that I hear about with RV's is electrical. The electrical wiring is much more extensive in a RV than in your average car. Couple that with the fact that the vehicle is older, an a lot of the original wiring may have been replaced to a lesser degree. Think about a house 25 years old, how much things change, what has been replaced and what needs replacing. Some may be easy, others difficult. Add that to the intricacies of a RV and could have an electrical headache. The last think you want is a fridge that keeps shorting out because of faulty wiring. If your mechanic buddy is good with electrical wiring (he should tell you if he is) bring him along to check anything you are interested in.

On an aside, have you looked into pull behind campers?

I have considered some pull behinds, but that would require a new vehicle. I own a 2015 Chevy Cruz.... not exactly made for towing anything.

I'm probably capable of spending a little more than the $5K I talked about if I had to. But, yes, I'm certainly thinking something from about 1990 because it does indeed fit my price range. One thing I'm considering is just going with solar power. For about $1300 I believe I could have enough power to run everything I'd need it to run in order to live/work out of there for a bit of time.

My uncle bought a very large RV last summer. He doesn't live in Ohio any longer, but I'm going to try and call him later in the week and see what he has learned along the way with his over the last year or so.

dougdirt
07-17-2017, 04:21 PM
You have to factor in MPG as well. What is a 1990 RV getting? 4 mpg? My cousin bought a 20+ year old RV thinking he and his wife were going to save money on vacations. They drove from Toledo to Statesville, NC and spent hundreds of dollars on gas, would have been much cheaper to just get a hotel. When they got back to Toledo they immediately put it up for sale in the paper.

I've certainly thought about it. Here's my thinking: Hotels in Arizona where I feel like I won't be murdered at and don't have absolutely disgusting living arrangements are $145 a night. If I stay there for a week, that's $1000 bucks. That also doesn't include the gas money to get there and back in my car (which gets very good milage, of course - but it's still a heck of a drive and probably $350 in gas). So, for a week, we're talking about $1500. I probably don't recoup that money with the amount of content that I produce, at least in the short-term. Long term with the things I pick up, people I meet and two years of youtube views on some videos and reads on posted content on the site, maybe I do. But, what would it cost me to get to Arizona and back, but stay for a month while I'm there because I don't have to pay $145 a night for a hotel? I can turn around and produce a lot more content, maybe spend a little more money, but also be able to recoup that money easier, too.

The same idea applies to making trips to Daytona and Pensacola. While they certainly aren't as far, and the hotels are a little bit cheaper, being able to stay there for weeks at a time is going to lead to much more, and much better content that I can provide. I haven't done all of the math yet to figure out exactly where the break even point is. It's just an idea I'm still kicking around. But, starting next week when I get paid, that's when I'm placing as much money as I possibly can from each pay day into a don't touch account for whatever project I eventually take on.

RedTeamGo!
07-17-2017, 04:26 PM
I've certainly thought about it. Here's my thinking: Hotels in Arizona where I feel like I won't be murdered at and don't have absolutely disgusting living arrangements are $145 a night. If I stay there for a week, that's $1000 bucks. That also doesn't include the gas money to get there and back in my car (which gets very good milage, of course - but it's still a heck of a drive and probably $350 in gas). So, for a week, we're talking about $1500. I probably don't recoup that money with the amount of content that I produce, at least in the short-term. Long term with the things I pick up, people I meet and two years of youtube views on some videos and reads on posted content on the site, maybe I do. But, what would it cost me to get to Arizona and back, but stay for a month while I'm there because I don't have to pay $145 a night for a hotel? I can turn around and produce a lot more content, maybe spend a little more money, but also be able to recoup that money easier, too.

The same idea applies to making trips to Daytona and Pensacola. While they certainly aren't as far, and the hotels are a little bit cheaper, being able to stay there for weeks at a time is going to lead to much more, and much better content that I can provide. I haven't done all of the math yet to figure out exactly where the break even point is. It's just an idea I'm still kicking around. But, starting next week when I get paid, that's when I'm placing as much money as I possibly can from each pay day into a don't touch account for whatever project I eventually take on.

Have you ever thought about talking to the the MILB franchise for help with a hotel room? I'm sure they have deals where they could either set you up with a discounted rate or even pay for it. Just randomly thought of it.

You aren't providing a service to them for no cost to them.

WrongVerb
07-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Have you factored in how much it will cost to reserve a space for your camper for the length of time you'll be there?

Redsfaithful
07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
#vanlife

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/vanlife-the-bohemian-social-media-movement

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/vanlife/?hl=en

If I were you this is what I'd consider, but there really aren't any good options at $5k, honestly. I think this is more of a do it because you think it would be cool and fun more than a money saving venture, once you back out all the costs.

Boston Red
07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Have you factored in how much it will cost to reserve a space for your camper for the length of time you'll be there?

Can't you stay in a Wal-Mart parking lot for free?

dougdirt
07-17-2017, 06:13 PM
#vanlife

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/vanlife-the-bohemian-social-media-movement

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/vanlife/?hl=en

If I were you this is what I'd consider, but there really aren't any good options at $5k, honestly. I think this is more of a do it because you think it would be cool and fun more than a money saving venture, once you back out all the costs.

I've certainly been considering it - though not as a full time thing, just as a travel option.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't you stay in a Wal-Mart parking lot for free?

Some, but not all. And you can stay on certain public lands for free, too, though those are tougher to find than a Wal-Mart, which is nearly everywhere.

redhawkfish
07-17-2017, 08:14 PM
A lot of campgrounds especially KOA's have camper cabins which are usually a lot cheaper than hotel rooms. The state park where I do most of my fishing has camper cabins I stay in that have air conditioning and heat. A small propane grill and microwave and maybe a dorm fridge would work for extended stays. I keep those items in my boat storage unit, but if you are traveling solo shouldn't take up to much car room. They almost always have free WiFi also. You would have to use a shower house though because they don't have bathrooms. Just an idea!

kaldaniels
07-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Some, but not all. And you can stay on certain public lands for free, too, though those are tougher to find than a Wal-Mart, which is nearly everywhere.

I mean I've seen the signs at a Wal-Mart parking lot that say no overnight camping...but do they really have someone enforcing it? Especially a late-night pull in and early departure? Longer stays, I suppose would take some creativity? I'm just curious on the matter, that's all.

dougdirt
07-19-2017, 01:08 AM
I mean I've seen the signs at a Wal-Mart parking lot that say no overnight camping...but do they really have someone enforcing it? Especially a late-night pull in and early departure? Longer stays, I suppose would take some creativity? I'm just curious on the matter, that's all.

I don't really know - I've never done it. But, I've been following plenty of #vanlife people and some have noted that you probably shouldn't try staying at the same Wal-Mart more than one day/night or they will ask you to move on. Not really sure how accurate that is, and like most things in life, it's probably a case-by-case basis depending on the manager and past histories with experiences.

klw
07-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Question to consider would be if you would have sufficient web access if you are in a RV/Van instead of a hotel room. I would imagine large established campgrounds would have wifi but not so much the Walmart parking lot.

Also would an RV get a bit toasty in Arizona?

dougdirt
07-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Question to consider would be if you would have sufficient web access if you are in a RV/Van instead of a hotel room. I would imagine large established campgrounds would have wifi but not so much the Walmart parking lot.

Also would an RV get a bit toasty in Arizona?

My experience with hotel internet is that my phone is usually 5 times as fast, at worst. Unless I'm willing to pay for it, in which case the phone is usually only 2-3 times as fast, at worst.

Wifi is generally pretty easy to find these days. It's one of my least concerns. I'll get an unlimited wireless phone plan, then just use that at night, and go to anywhere I need to during the day for uploading videos and things like that (libraries are usually good for quality internet speeds - McDonalds are usually solid, too).

And yes, any vehicle would get hot anywhere. Likewise it would get cold anywhere when it's cold. That's why my plan is to get and use solar panels for power in whatever I choose, to have plenty of power for my limited needs. Which would include some sort of heating and cooling device(s).

klw
07-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Here you go - tiny house on wheels
https://www.etsy.com/listing/533262959/beautiful-custom-built-tiny-house-on?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-home_and_living-other&utm_custom1=20d91db5-cadd-41d4-b3b2-ae9015890550&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qnH-tyW1QIVUlYNCh0rvwG2EAQYAiABEgL_9fD_BwE

alwaysawarrior
07-20-2017, 10:04 AM
If you are staying a month you would come out ahead over all. I'm guessing any rv is going to get b/t 5-7 mpg, so fuel is going to cost you an extra 500-600 each way (to arizona). In most areas you are going to be able to book a full hookup camp site for around 30-40 dollars a night. So if you are staying a month at a time you'll come out money ahead after a few trips (assuming a $5k initial investment.

There is some logistical issues you may want to consider though. I mention the full hookup site (water, electric, sewer) because you can't really live off the grid for a month at a time. Even if you have solar to power everything you'll need water, and you'll need a place to get rid of waste water, Shower (gray water) and toilet (black water) your gray water tank will more than likely run out of capacity long before the other. As a single guy you could probably get 5 or 6 days or more out of your waste water capacities if you were conservative with your water usage. (this is of course dependent on the size of your waste water tanks). Another issue to consider is if you are going to tow your car behind the rv. If you do setup the rv it can and will be a pain to break camp every day. It's doable but it would not be very enjoyable for me at least to do that everyday.

Typically rving is not really about saving money on vacations etc, because in the long run it often is a break even at best. However if you will use it a little more long term in one area I believe you could come out ahead over all. And for me (and my family) we like having our own space with us wherever we travel, and so we really enjoy our camper. Good luck!

dougdirt
07-20-2017, 02:24 PM
https://www.etsy.com/listing/533262959/beautiful-custom-built-tiny-house-on?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-home_and_living-other&utm_custom1=20d91db5-cadd-41d4-b3b2-ae9015890550&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qnH-tyW1QIVUlYNCh0rvwG2EAQYAiABEgL_9fD_BwE

That would require way more money than I've got, a new vehicle (and way more money) to pull it, way more money to stay (you can't just park those things anywhere you want). I love them, though. I know two people who have them. One couple lives in theirs full time. The other doesn't do it full time, yet.

dougdirt
07-20-2017, 02:43 PM
If you are staying a month you would come out ahead over all. I'm guessing any rv is going to get b/t 5-7 mpg, so fuel is going to cost you an extra 500-600 each way (to arizona). In most areas you are going to be able to book a full hookup camp site for around 30-40 dollars a night. So if you are staying a month at a time you'll come out money ahead after a few trips (assuming a $5k initial investment.

There is some logistical issues you may want to consider though. I mention the full hookup site (water, electric, sewer) because you can't really live off the grid for a month at a time. Even if you have solar to power everything you'll need water, and you'll need a place to get rid of waste water, Shower (gray water) and toilet (black water) your gray water tank will more than likely run out of capacity long before the other. As a single guy you could probably get 5 or 6 days or more out of your waste water capacities if you were conservative with your water usage. (this is of course dependent on the size of your waste water tanks). Another issue to consider is if you are going to tow your car behind the rv. If you do setup the rv it can and will be a pain to break camp every day. It's doable but it would not be very enjoyable for me at least to do that everyday.

Typically rving is not really about saving money on vacations etc, because in the long run it often is a break even at best. However if you will use it a little more long term in one area I believe you could come out ahead over all. And for me (and my family) we like having our own space with us wherever we travel, and so we really enjoy our camper. Good luck!

I'm not too terribly concerned about the water/waste kind of thing. Perhaps it's just me not having the experience yet, but the plan has generally been that when that kind of stuff is needed, that I could hit up a campground to stay for a day or two, use the hook ups and "waste" issues. But, when it comes to bodily function waste, one thing I've considered more and more is a composting toilet instead of using one that would come with an RV that would go to the tanks. For showers, the plan all along has been to upgrade my planet fitness membership to a black card, which gets you access to all planet fitness locations and just do my daily workout, grab a shower and then be done, leaving me without a ton of need for showering in the RV, IF I do go with that plan, of course. The only place that planet fitness thing wouldn't work, is in Billings, as they don't have any locations there. In that case, I'd probably try to find a local gym where I could sign up for a month without a contract and go the same route.

I would not be towing my car. I just imagine that not being worth it given the length of my trips. One, it would put more stress on the RV, and since I am definitely not buying new, that's something I'd like to have as little as possible on the engine. Then there are the logistical things of being able to park/stay places much easier without a towing trailer behind me.

As I said, I haven't really run the numbers to see if it's going to be something that would truly save me money. In terms of pure "saves money" versus staying in a hotel, it might not. But, there's the built in part where me staying for longer periods of time lets me, at least in theory, make a lot more content for the site that I otherwise wouldn't be able to, which, again, in theory, should mean more money coming in for me in the long run. And that's tough to really calculate in a pure way without actually doing it.

There's still so much that I just don't know when it comes to this kind of thing. It's why I came here so you and others can chime in with your thoughts and experiences, and I can kick back my ideas and get feedback.

I'm going to do my best to up my budget to try and find something a little bit nicer/newer. I'm far more concerned with finding something that runs well than something that's "nice" on the inside. I'm handy enough that I can outfit the inside and fix that kind of stuff as long as it's non-electircal types of problems. I've got about 6ish months to save up and try to figure out what I'm going to do. I'd like to have it all figured out by February. What stinks is that right now, I haven't really even started saving yet, but I'm already looking everywhere at options and I am thinking to myself, go get a loan and buy that! I won't be doing that, but the temptation is already there.

Boston Red
07-20-2017, 02:44 PM

This is how I imagine hell.

bounty37h
07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
I don't, but my family did growing up. My dad and I logged a lot of miles and hours in it, going to spring training several times, to Cooperstown, and then regular family trips we all took around the country. I drove it as a 16 year old so no special license needed. Don't know that I can help with the other questions, eps $ questions as I never dealt with any of that. It was supposed to be mine when I graduated college, but my grandfather gave it away before I could get it. Have you considered/looked into renting one vs buying for the trips you want to take?

dougdirt
07-25-2017, 03:26 AM
I don't, but my family did growing up. My dad and I logged a lot of miles and hours in it, going to spring training several times, to Cooperstown, and then regular family trips we all took around the country. I drove it as a 16 year old so no special license needed. Don't know that I can help with the other questions, eps $ questions as I never dealt with any of that. It was supposed to be mine when I graduated college, but my grandfather gave it away before I could get it. Have you considered/looked into renting one vs buying for the trips you want to take?

Not until you mentioned it did I consider looking at renting. The first place I looked, for a very small RV (similar to the one I'd be looking to buy) was $3400 for 3 weeks. So, yeah, that's not going to be an option in the slightest.

I'm considering trying to find a part-time job in the winter to save up and put more money into my "buy a travel vehicle" fund to try and get something a bit newer than what I believe my current budget is. Now, what job that is, I don't know. I've thought about trying to maybe drive for Uber or something, but haven't looked into it to see if it's actually worth it or not. Not too sure what my other options would be - I can't work retail, even though I know that they are always hiring around the winter because of Christmas. We will see how things go.

For now, I'm keeping my options open. I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for smaller RV's, buses/vans that I could fit out for my needs. Just sort of keeping an eye on prices/options right now to have a better idea of what's out there, what it's going for and hoping something falls into whatever my eventual budget is.

goreds2
07-25-2017, 08:44 AM
I don't really know - I've never done it. But, I've been following plenty of #vanlife people and some have noted that you probably shouldn't try staying at the same Wal-Mart more than one day/night or they will ask you to move on. Not really sure how accurate that is, and like most things in life, it's probably a case-by-case basis depending on the manager and past histories with experiences.
If you stay at the same Walmart more than one night, at least move it to a totally different spot in the parking lot. Lot's of videos on YOUTUBE. Also, casinos let you stay over night. Just park in the back lot out of the way. The downtown Cincinnati casino does not allow RV's. Keep us up to date. Best wishes - Love to hear these story's. Also, Cracker Barrel restaurants let you stay overnight. Call ahead though.

On Edit: I see a lot of Vaner's on YouTube get Planet Fitness passes for I think $20 a month. They can go in any location (over 900 nation wide). They mainly use this venue to take showers and clean up. I have heard you can stay over night in their lots also because most are 24/7.

My camper van is on the left, fiance's is on the right.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb468/goreds2/2%20rvs%20091316_zpsjisz3urb.jpg

dougdirt
07-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Picture doesn't work....

bounty37h
07-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Holy crap, never mind! I thought it might be a good option to get started and see how like it and if worth to buy later, esp if won't be using it year round but that's a crazy price, never would have guessed! I sure wish I still had the family one that was supposed to be mine, had some good times in it and would love to have some more. Good luck!

Not until you mentioned it did I consider looking at renting. The first place I looked, for a very small RV (similar to the one I'd be looking to buy) was $3400 for 3 weeks. So, yeah, that's not going to be an option in the slightest.

I'm considering trying to find a part-time job in the winter to save up and put more money into my "buy a travel vehicle" fund to try and get something a bit newer than what I believe my current budget is. Now, what job that is, I don't know. I've thought about trying to maybe drive for Uber or something, but haven't looked into it to see if it's actually worth it or not. Not too sure what my other options would be - I can't work retail, even though I know that they are always hiring around the winter because of Christmas. We will see how things go.

For now, I'm keeping my options open. I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for smaller RV's, buses/vans that I could fit out for my needs. Just sort of keeping an eye on prices/options right now to have a better idea of what's out there, what it's going for and hoping something falls into whatever my eventual budget is.

bucksfan2
07-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Doug you rent correct? Have you ever thought about giving up your apartment for a year and RV'ing it? I think you may find some cost savings that way, but you would need a home base to come home to.

dougdirt
07-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Doug you rent correct? Have you ever thought about giving up your apartment for a year and RV'ing it? I think you may find some cost savings that way, but you would need a home base to come home to.

I hadn't really thought about it - mostly because I would need that home base to come home to. While I'm gone, if I'm going to be gone for a while, the bills that I do pay for would be cut into a little bit. I'd still be paying rent, though - I've got to have a place for my stuff. While I could rent a storage unit, I feel less than comfortable about that - especially since I wouldn't be around for long period of time to check on my stuff.

I've got a fairly good deal going for my rent. I don't have an apartment - I live with a family member. They own a condo and I essentially live in the basement. I've got a couple hundred square feet down here - studio style. Don't have a kitchen, so I do need to go upstairs to cook - but everything else is available downstairs for me. And I have a garage. I cover some of the bills (water/sewage/internet/cable and there's something else that I'm just drawing a complete blank on right now) and pay some rent - but I still think I'm coming out ahead of what I'd be doing for an apartment, even with a roommate there. The garage is the important part - I've got a lot of tools that were my dads, that I still use plenty of for various things.

The saving of money issue is more about saving more now to get a better vehicle for traveling.

goreds2
07-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Picture doesn't work....

This must be why.

Photobucket continues to offer limited free photo storage — 2 gigabytes worth — but now it charges to store more than that, and only its $399.99 per-year plan allows users to link to Photobucket-stored images.

http://www.9news.com/money/business/free-service-is-unsustainable-in-an-age-of-online-ad-blockers-photobucket-ceo-says/454952304

Back on TOPIC: Sounds like you have a pretty good home base with no real ties to it. Search "Van life" in youtube for videos.

dougdirt
07-30-2017, 10:14 PM
The more and more I've been thinking about this over the last two weeks, the more and more I feel like I'm leaning more towards an RV. Things can obviously change between today and February. But it just *seems* like the best fit, if I can find the right one. The biggest issue is being able to make the finances work to buy the right one. I'm looking at options up to $10,000 right now. I don't think I'll be able to go beyond that if I want to make it something to buy before the 2018 baseball season begins... but I do think there are some actual options out there at that price that would work for me for what I need, and then later in the year after the season is over, I could put a little extra money into it if needed to spruce some things up.

kaldaniels
07-31-2017, 12:52 AM
The more and more I've been thinking about this over the last two weeks, the more and more I feel like I'm leaning more towards an RV. Things can obviously change between today and February. But it just *seems* like the best fit, if I can find the right one. The biggest issue is being able to make the finances work to buy the right one. I'm looking at options up to $10,000 right now. I don't think I'll be able to go beyond that if I want to make it something to buy before the 2018 baseball season begins... but I do think there are some actual options out there at that price that would work for me for what I need, and then later in the year after the season is over, I could put a little extra money into it if needed to spruce some things up.

A question that should be asked that maybe someone else can answer is what is the worst case scenario with a lemon RV? Compare that to the relative worst case scenarios of your other options. Or furthermore, could you handle just a lousy RV with more upkeep/repair costs than planned for?

I'm just a plan for the worst type of guy so I think about that stuff.

dougdirt
07-31-2017, 01:01 AM
A question that should be asked that maybe someone else can answer is what is the worst case scenario with a lemon RV? Compare that to the relative worst case scenarios of your other options. Or furthermore, could you handle just a lousy RV with more upkeep/repair costs than planned for?

I'm just a plan for the worst type of guy so I think about that stuff.

A lemon is going to be a lemon in any scenario I go with, I guess. In any situation, it's going to be thousands and thousands of dollars down the drain.

I couldn't handle replacing an engine/transmission on any of the vehicles. Other types of repairs/upkeep, I do believe that I could afford.

But, planning for the worst case scenario means that I'm never going to do anything. And realistically, the worst case scenario is getting stuck somewhere without the ability to truly fix it. I'd still have a place to "live" while I'd try to sell it to someone who either could fix it, or would be interested in it for some other reason (or to simply scrap it), and rent a van to drive my stuff back home. That would certainly suck. But it's not the end of the world. I'd love to avoid that, of course, but unless I'm spending $50K, which I'm not, I don't think I'm going to be able to 100% cover myself on being covered by some warranty against things going wrong.

Rantly
08-01-2017, 01:37 PM
To answer your question about storing it while not in use, a friend of mine owns storage units and charges $30/month to park RVs...not bad.

dougdirt
08-01-2017, 03:12 PM
To answer your question about storing it while not in use, a friend of mine owns storage units and charges $30/month to park RVs...not bad.

Thank you!

With every reply I kept hoping someone would chime in with this. I'm sure it varies a little bit, but I'm glad to hear that is a range that it could fall within.

I hadn't really called anywhere to check yet since I'm still quite a bit of time away from buying anything, though. I figured if no one chimed in before things got closer I'd have to start calling around and check (which, of course, I'll still have to do).

BillDoran
08-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Thank you!

With every reply I kept hoping someone would chime in with this. I'm sure it varies a little bit, but I'm glad to hear that is a range that it could fall within.

I hadn't really called anywhere to check yet since I'm still quite a bit of time away from buying anything, though. I figured if no one chimed in before things got closer I'd have to start calling around and check (which, of course, I'll still have to do).

Not sure what it is, but I really like the idea of you hauling ass around the country in an RV, dropping anchor in small and mid-sized cities and taking in shabby baseball for weeks at a time.

I hope this RV plan comes to fruition.

Rantly
08-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Not sure what it is, but I really like the idea of you hauling ass around the country in an RV, dropping anchor in small and mid-sized cities and taking in shabby baseball for weeks at a time.

Agree, maybe Doug can write a book about his experiences and include excerpts from this very thread.:)

dougdirt
08-01-2017, 04:59 PM

Well, I've got some good news: I really plan to make this happen. If it does, I also plan to make plenty of videos about the experience as a whole. Maybe not daily VLOG's, but probably a few a week, documenting my experiences while on the road.

One thought that I had was maybe hitting up the winter meetings and seeing if any baseball companies would be interested in working with me to make it happen, and while I'm out doing the baseball thing, I could possibly meet up with athletes they sponsor/provide goods for, and doing some stuff for their social media - pictures, short interviews, promotional type stuff. Still kind of looking into that one in terms of whether it would be worth the trip to go to the Tradeshow portion of the meetings to do some meet-and-greet and try to sell the plan to companies.

bucksfan2
08-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Well, I've got some good news: I really plan to make this happen. If it does, I also plan to make plenty of videos about the experience as a whole. Maybe not daily VLOG's, but probably a few a week, documenting my experiences while on the road.

One thought that I had was maybe hitting up the winter meetings and seeing if any baseball companies would be interested in working with me to make it happen, and while I'm out doing the baseball thing, I could possibly meet up with athletes they sponsor/provide goods for, and doing some stuff for their social media - pictures, short interviews, promotional type stuff. Still kind of looking into that one in terms of whether it would be worth the trip to go to the Tradeshow portion of the meetings to do some meet-and-greet and try to sell the plan to companies.

Maybe its me, but the idea of watching a grown man film himself traveling across the country doesn't interest me. I would be more interested in a blog, not redsminorleauges.com blog, but a different blog just about your travels and such. You could attached photos and the occasional video if something funny, stupid, amusing happens.

BernieCarbo
08-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Ok, I'll say it: I think the RV idea will turn into a disaster. I think you way underestimate the cost of upkeep and cost the potential expensive repairs that can happen to an RV within your budget. Before I struck out in a vehicle like that and I didn't know the vehicle history intimately, I would put in a few thousand just in wheel bearings, seals, u-joints/cv-axle, etc, timing belt/chain, water pump, etc. Going through the Texas heat and up and down mountains puts an incredible stress on a vehicle like this.

I don't know what kind of geographical area you are looking at, but I would just rent an apartment in Arizona and drive your car around. Find a month-to-month rental, or find someone who may be going on vacation and is looking for a one month tenant. Anything but an RV. Don't do it.

WrongVerb
08-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Ok, I'll say it: I think the RV idea will turn into a disaster. I think you way underestimate the cost of upkeep and cost the potential expensive repairs that can happen to an RV within your budget. Before I struck out in a vehicle like that and I didn't know the vehicle history intimately, I would put in a few thousand just in wheel bearings, seals, u-joints/cv-axle, etc, timing belt/chain, water pump, etc. Going through the Texas heat and up and down mountains puts an incredible stress on a vehicle like this.

I don't know what kind of geographical area you are looking at, but I would just rent an apartment in Arizona and drive your car around. Find a month-to-month rental, or find someone who may be going on vacation and is looking for a one month tenant. Anything but an RV. Don't do it.

I kind of agree with this. Seems like extended-stay hotel plus uber to get around would essentially accomplish what you want without the hassles if something goes pear shaped.

kaldaniels
08-02-2017, 10:29 AM
I know where you can dump your sewage.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8f/e2/c4/8fe2c4da260e6b0fb7048e79eb6d4cde--vacations-funny-stuff.jpg

kaldaniels
08-02-2017, 11:26 AM
To someone echo the past two guys I'm concerned this would turn you into an RV guy (in terms of time and resources). I want Doug to be a baseball guy.

bucksfan2
08-02-2017, 02:08 PM

On my bucket list is to rent a RV and travel across the county in it. Take a year or more and head out hitting all kinds of destination points I want. Mainly it would be out west in the Rockies, I think it would be fun to be skiing one week and then in Arizona the next and then Big Sur the next. I think it would be fun to do that, wouldn't mind the expense of a long RV rental, but sure wouldn't want to own one.

I can't speak for Doug, but for me it seems like the "dream" of doing this outweighs the reality. With any kind of vehicle, you usually get what you pay for, and in his budget you could potentially get more than you can handle. Any repair work that will need to be done, outside of some basic repairs, and you are looking at paying someone upwards of $80/hour and often times on the road when you are at the mercy of the mechanic. If he could find a way to supplement his income he may be able to get a nicer RV with fewer headaches. I wish him well in whatever he decides to do.

Redsfaithful
08-02-2017, 04:44 PM
I still don't know why it has to be an RV. Van seems workable for one person with about 75% less things that can go wrong.

dougdirt
08-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Maybe its me, but the idea of watching a grown man film himself traveling across the country doesn't interest me. I would be more interested in a blog, not redsminorleauges.com blog, but a different blog just about your travels and such. You could attached photos and the occasional video if something funny, stupid, amusing happens.

While it may not interest you, it does interest lots and lots of people. Maybe not necessarily me, but I follow lots of people on youtube that are doing bus/van/rv life that have 100,000+ subscribers each. It's definitely something that people are interested in.

Month to month renting isn't exactly easy to find. Looking at, say VRBO options, to stay in Goodyear for the month of March, starts at $1800 a month, or about $800 a month to rent a room in an already occupied house (this is a non-starter for me). A hotel in the Phoenix area (which is still 20-30 minutes from Goodyear on the highway) would be even more. Now, Phoenix/Goodyear is the most expensive of the places I travel for baseball in terms of hotel prices, but Pensacola is gaining ground, too. Now, perhaps I am underestimating the cost of repairs at some stage of the game. That's certainly possible.

If I can push my budget into that $9-10,000 range, I've seen some options from actual RV dealerships that would get me into that 1995-1999 range in terms of years with under 50,000 miles. From private dealers, similar ones are a little bit cheaper. Now, obviously, a dealer can get you just as much as a private seller can, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. I've got a friend who is a mechanic by trade, who if and when I decide to seriously look at something, I'm going to take with me to give it a look over and test drive. While that won't promise anything, it'll at least keep me from, hopefully, buying something that's going to need major mechanical work right out of the gate. I *think* I can probably handle any other kind of work that would need to be done, if needed (and could do a little bit of the mechanical work, depending on what it was).

dougdirt
08-02-2017, 06:35 PM
I kind of agree with this. Seems like extended-stay hotel plus uber to get around would essentially accomplish what you want without the hassles if something goes pear shaped.

Well, if I went this route, I wouldn't need an uber as I'd just drive my car. But, just browsing Extended Stay America dot com puts me at over $2K for a 30 day stay. My plan was to spend roughly 30 days in each of Goodyear/Billings/Pensacola/Daytona. The math for that works out for 1 year to cost roughly what I'd be spending on the RV. Sure, there's no hassle if something goes pear shaped.... but that's also significantly more money than I can afford over a long period of time, too.

Assuming that things didn't go poorly in that first year, I could then re-sell the RV that I did have, save up again the following winter, and upgrade to something new/more reliable (in theory at least).

Again, I'm just talking my ideas out loud here. Maybe I'm completely missing out on something when it comes to staying in a city for 30ish days at a time not costing me $1800, but I'm not seeing it (again, for reasons I'm not getting into other than to say a disability causes me to have certain needs that sharing a home with someone I don't know isn't going to happen - so an airbnb room won't work.

To someone echo the past two guys I'm concerned this would turn you into an RV guy (in terms of time and resources). I want Doug to be a baseball guy.
It wouldn't. Probably. I mean, I guess you never know - but that would apply whether or not this plan happens or not. Maybe Anna Kendrick falls madly in love with me. That would probably change Doug, too.

dougdirt
08-02-2017, 06:42 PM
I still don't know why it has to be an RV. Van seems workable for one person with about 75% less things that can go wrong.

It doesn't have to be an RV. I've been considering short bus conversions as well as van conversions.

The RV is just a tad more enticing because it's generally already done, so to speak. It's got the bathroom already (and I'd have to have at least a toilet in whatever vehicle I chose). It would save time of me having to put in all of that work. Perhaps (and probably not even perhaps) it's a little more expensive in the short term, and gas mileage wise, definitely more expensive in the long term - but it also gives more options. Having a traveling companion would be far easier. Being able to stay places that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Long term upkeep on an RV probably costs a lot more, too, though. With that said, I also think that as long as the RV doesn't just flat out die on me, it would be an easier sell if things didn't work out than finding someone to buy a 2002 Dodge customized camper van would be (as an example).

Rantly
08-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Good luck to you Doug. Seems like you have done your homework on this and I will be following updates. Very interesting and a nice diversion from some of the reds discussions on whether Schebler will ops .800 going forward or not etc.

BernieCarbo
08-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Month to month renting isn't exactly easy to find. Looking at, say VRBO options, to stay in Goodyear for the month of March, starts at $1800 a month...

If you can get a month to month for $1800, then that is cheaper than an RV will ever be. It will be completely furnished, and unless the laws are different in AZ, you won't pay sales tax on rentals that are 30 days and over. Plus, you won't be living in a Walmart parking lot, and you can have a normal life. And, as a prospective baseball journalist, people will take you more seriously.

I mean, I get where you are coming from. When I played music, I was car-less and practically homeless for months at a time, so I get the sense of adventure. If you want the RV for that purpose, then go for it. But it will not be cheaper. Good luck.

goreds2
08-03-2017, 08:39 AM
In my opinion, Fall to late fall is the best time of year to buy an RV because if they want to sell it, they want to before paying to place in storage. I got my camper van via an estate sale for only $2200. People post and say they got a good deal on something but never say how much they paid so there you go. It has a stove, fridge, toilet but no shower or generator. Mine is on the left. Fiance's on the right.

Rantly
08-03-2017, 10:47 AM
If you can get a month to month for $1800, then that is cheaper than an RV will ever be. It will be completely furnished, and unless the laws are different in AZ, you won't pay sales tax on rentals that are 30 days and over. Plus, you won't be living in a Walmart parking lot, and you can have a normal life. And, as a prospective baseball journalist, people will take you more seriously.

I mean, I get where you are coming from. When I played music, I was car-less and practically homeless for months at a time, so I get the sense of adventure. If you want the RV for that purpose, then go for it. But it will not be cheaper. Good luck.
I think Doug mentioned he was hoping to take four 30 day trips in a year though.

dougdirt
08-03-2017, 12:33 PM

Not be cheaper? How long do you think I plan on paying $2K a month, 3-4 times a year? Once? Twice? I don't plan on quitting my job anytime soon. This isn't a 1-year plan. This is a 15 year plan.

As far as taking me seriously.... I'm not bringing people back to my house. What's it matter if I'm staying in a roach infested motel, the Marriott or an RV?

dougdirt
08-03-2017, 12:36 PM
In my opinion, Fall to late fall is the best time of year to buy an RV because if they want to sell it, they want to before paying to place in storage.

That's kind of been a worry of mine because I simply won't have money to buy what I want until February - when I figure it's probably more of a sellers market because spring is around the corner and people are getting the "let's get out of the house" bug.

BernieCarbo
08-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Not be cheaper? How long do you think I plan on paying $2K a month, 3-4 times a year? Once? Twice? I don't plan on quitting my job anytime soon. This isn't a 1-year plan. This is a 15 year plan.

As far as taking me seriously.... I'm not bringing people back to my house. What's it matter if I'm staying in a roach infested motel, the Marriott or an RV?

You have to remember that I am someone on the outside looking in. I don't know what your business plan is. All I know about you is that you live in someone's basement, and you have some kind of job that allows you to leave 3 to 4 months out of the year. And I made the assumption that you want to do this baseball thing full-time eventually. I think that's great. I've run a business for a long time, and it can be very good for the right person.

I'm just saying that I don't see the savings in using an RV. And if there are savings, I don't think it's enough for the trouble. It's going to cost you close to $1000 just for gas to Arizona and back, and we haven't even factored in additional car insurance or maintenance cost. If you are there specifically for spring training, every moment counts, and I'd hate to see you have on the deal with the broken RV instead of the task at hand.

As far as being taken seriously, I have no idea what the job environment is there. I assumed there would be a lot of networking involved, and the possibility of meeting new people and important contacts. I assumed that might be the possibility that you run into some executive, hit it off and start talking about our future business relationship, where you might be in the position to say, "Hey Bob, why don't you swing by tonight and we''ll put some ideas to paper." Things like that happen all the time and business, and you have to be ready to pounce. Heck, years ago I got into a conversation with the CEO of a company, and somehow we started talking about cooking. And he and his wife ended up coming over to the house so I could show her how to make biscuits. I've been getting work from that company ever since.

dougdirt
08-04-2017, 03:06 AM
I'm not even sure of my business plan, either.

But, I do think that to continue growing my business that I need to spend more time at the stadiums. Right now, staying in hotels simply doesn't make that feasible for periods of time that I believe would be necessary to keep things growing the way I'd like. If I can spend 3-4 weeks with a team, and I understand they won't be home every day while I'm "in town", but if I plan well, maybe they will be for 20 of the 30 days, that over the course of enough time, assuming there's no catastrophic issue, this will pay for itself. While my car certainly seems very reliable (it is a 2015), there's nothing really stopping it from also having some catastrophic failure. Sure, it's not nearly as likely because it is new and has 32,000 miles on it - but things do happen like that to cars like mine from time-to-time.

Maintenance costs are something I'm a little unsure of. I *think*, however, that short of big time issues like a transmission or something major with an engine, that I could handle something like that as long as it's not something that pops up on every single trip. Insurance is something that I do need to look into, though. I'm hoping my age and perfect driving record help out there.

Networking exists, but it's done at the fields. My business doesn't generally rely in products or services - I've never once had a meeting with someone that wasn't at a ballpark or at a restaurant as it relates to my business. Maybe that will change one day, but it's tough for me to see right now. However, if "Bob" and I have some ideas we'd like to discuss, there's always an Applebees somewhere.

My trip to Arizona last spring cost me nearly $1000. And that meant I was able to stay for five days. If I can stay for 3-4 weeks for $1500, that's a slam dunk for me business wise, assuming there are no problems along the way.

And just to clear up any confusion - I do this baseball thing full time now. It's been my full time job for years.

goreds2
08-07-2017, 12:32 PM
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1994-road-trek-190/6222151272.html

1994 Road Trek 190 - $5500 (Hamilton)

bucksfan2
08-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Doug I was thinking about this the other day. While you can pretty much find a YouTube video on how to do repairs, they are leaving out one key component. In order to do a lot of repairs, you need specialized tools, most repair shops have air powered tools that make repairs a lot easier. Stuff like regular sockets, deep well sockets, standard and metric sockets, etc as well as shop supplies like thread locker and liquid wrench. I have a pretty stocked tool chest at my house and when doing repairs I often end up needing to either buy a new tool or borrow one. You "can" do things with tools as simple as a few set of pliers, but man is it difficult.

dougdirt
08-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Doug I was thinking about this the other day. While you can pretty much find a YouTube video on how to do repairs, they are leaving out one key component. In order to do a lot of repairs, you need specialized tools, most repair shops have air powered tools that make repairs a lot easier. Stuff like regular sockets, deep well sockets, standard and metric sockets, etc as well as shop supplies like thread locker and liquid wrench. I have a pretty stocked tool chest at my house and when doing repairs I often end up needing to either buy a new tool or borrow one. You "can" do things with tools as simple as a few set of pliers, but man is it difficult.

My father used to be a mechanic (granted, this was about 25 years ago when he was actually a mechanic for a living - but he continued working on cars until a few months before he passed away), but I've got a whole heck of a lot of mechanic type tools. Air tools, impact sockets, specialty tools for mechanic-y type stuff that isn't in your typical home garage. With that said, generally speaking - for under the hood stuff that isn't "simple", I'd take it somewhere. My buddy owns his own garage - so it would probably go over to him.

goreds2
08-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Here you go...... https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1979-allergo/6228288695.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_bvxZNSAe3bI_600x450.jpg

dougdirt
08-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Here you go...... https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1979-allergo/6228288695.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_bvxZNSAe3bI_600x450.jpg

I've come across that one a few times in my "Craigslist weekly search" as I call it. Right now I don't even have $2000 saves up, so I'm merely window shopping just to be sure I am aware of what things are going for in the 150 mile from my house area.

Definitely a bit older than what I'm looking for, though.

goreds2
08-23-2017, 06:28 PM
I've come across that one a few times in my "Craigslist weekly search" as I call it. Right now I don't even have $2000 saves up, so I'm merely window shopping just to be sure I am aware of what things are going for in the 150 mile from my house area.

Definitely a bit older than what I'm looking for, though.

Yeah, I was posting that as a joke. For sure, get something with fuel injection. I had an old 1976 which I loved camping in but had a carb and was a nightmare so I sold it. Try to take 10 minutes each day to look on craigslist.

dougdirt
08-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I was posting that as a joke. For sure, get something with fuel injection. I had an old 1976 which I loved camping in but had a carb and was a nightmare so I sold it. Try to take 10 minutes each day to look on craigslist.

Well, once I actually get some real money saved up, I'll be spending a lot more time on Craigslist than I do now. Right now, I'm not finding anything for what money I've got, so I just check every few days to see what's listed and the prices just to keep myself fresh on what I may be expecting to pay.

My biggest thing right now is: Do I want to try and spend $5K and fix one up with another 3-4K. Or spend $10K and not have to fix anything up, hopefully.

JaxRed
08-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Well, once I actually get some real money saved up, I'll be spending a lot more time on Craigslist than I do now. Right now, I'm not finding anything for what money I've got, so I just check every few days to see what's listed and the prices just to keep myself fresh on what I may be expecting to pay.

My biggest thing right now is: Do I want to try and spend $5K and fix one up with another 3-4K. Or spend $10K and not have to fix anything up, hopefully.

The latter.

dougdirt
08-23-2017, 11:09 PM
The latter.

I've thought that about 95% of the time, too. In either scenario, I'm not skimping on needing to fix something like mechanical problems with an engine/transmission - I won't be buying something that doesn't run well. But there are scenarios where doing some work to fix some leaks and redo some interior (or lots of interior, as long as the structure itself doesn't need true work), is that something I'm willing to work with? I actually saw a pretty good deal for $8K in Indiana at a dealership this afternoon, or at least it seemed like a good deal based on their listing. I was not shocked to find that the sale was pending on it despite it being listed less than 24 hours ago. Not that I had the money for it right now, but it seemed like a big time steal - particularly from a dealer.

Rantly
08-24-2017, 10:38 PM
I've thought that about 95% of the time, too. In either scenario, I'm not skimping on needing to fix something like mechanical problems with an engine/transmission - I won't be buying something that doesn't run well. But there are scenarios where doing some work to fix some leaks and redo some interior (or lots of interior, as long as the structure itself doesn't need true work), is that something I'm willing to work with? I actually saw a pretty good deal for $8K in Indiana at a dealership this afternoon, or at least it seemed like a good deal based on their listing. I was not shocked to find that the sale was pending on it despite it being listed less than 24 hours ago. Not that I had the money for it right now, but it seemed like a big time steal - particularly from a dealer.
Here's wishing you find a similar deal when you're ready.

goreds2
09-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Starting looking more often now for RV's. People tend to sell after Labor Day.

dougdirt
09-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Starting looking more often now for RV's. People tend to sell after Labor Day.

Well, if I had the money right now to buy one, I would. But I simply don't have the kind of money right now that I need to buy something.

dougdirt
09-19-2017, 10:11 PM
So, "Doug saves all of his money for an RV" has been sort of stalled. Sort of. I just spent about a third of what I had saved up on some equipment to start a new business/business venture. I'm hoping that will bring an influx of income in, and hopefully have paid for itself within a month or two, and then it's all profit. But, we will see. Not too much risk - and I think the reward could be pretty good if I don't completely screw things up. And hey, maybe it'll get me closer to my RV that I want, quicker.

goreds2
11-07-2017, 01:04 PM
$4500 located in Lexington, KY It's a 1992 so it should be fuel injected.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1992-chevy-van/6375354038.html

dougdirt
11-08-2017, 12:32 AM
Will they take multiple credit cards?

klw
11-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Will they take multiple credit cards?

Do banks not do car loans for RV's? I have never had an RV so I have no idea.

And shame on you Doug for the thread title! Don't you know it should be "Does anyone own an R5?"

dougdirt
11-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Do banks not do car loans for RV's? I have never had an RV so I have no idea.

And shame on you Doug for the thread title! Don't you know it should be "Does anyone own an R5?"

I wouldn't qualify for another loan right now, probably. Still have two years left on my car. Not that I'd apply for a loan on this.

goreds2
12-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Working from home yesterday, an elderly gentleman stopped at my house and asked if my camper van is for sale. He has traveled across to the West Coast in an RV multiple times and wanted something that gets better gas mileage.

I politely said, it is not for sale.
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B

https://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/21843204/rig/Van%20Pic1.jpg

dougdirt
12-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Working from home yesterday, an elderly gentleman stopped at my house and asked if my camper van is for sale. He has traveled across to the West Coast in an RV multiple times and wanted something that gets better gas mileage.

I politely said, it is not for sale.
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B

https://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/21843204/rig/Van%20Pic1.jpg

Everything is for sale, man.

What if he offered $15,000 because he's a crazy, rich person?

goreds2
12-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Everything is for sale, man.

What if he offered $15,000 because he's a crazy, rich person?

Good point but I would only sell it if I was financially strapped which I am fortunate to not be at the moment. Just like my camper, you will find one when you least expect it.

JaxRed
12-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Here you go Doug

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/280005315861182

goreds2
12-26-2017, 07:36 PM
https://dayton.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1981-ford-diamond-gtw2-class/6395224849.html

goreds2
01-08-2018, 11:42 AM
https://dayton.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1988-dodge-b250-conversion/6450242896.html ($3200)

https://images.craigslist.org/00C0C_745dH9ymfRK_600x450.jpg

goreds2
02-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Just had this RV (Car) Port built over the weekend. Our RV's are older so thought the investment would be good.

dougdirt
02-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Should help, I'd imagine. Something that I did think about earlier today when talking with someone about an RV (still just a plan for the future), what is the "winter proof" stuff that you go through? The low temps, at least around here, could seem to be a problem for water lines and such. Do you just drain everything during the winter? How often do you go out and start it up, drive it around the block a few times just to keep it from sitting for months at a time?

goreds2
02-06-2018, 06:10 AM
Should help, I'd imagine. Something that I did think about earlier today when talking with someone about an RV (still just a plan for the future), what is the "winter proof" stuff that you go through? The low temps, at least around here, could seem to be a problem for water lines and such. Do you just drain everything during the winter? How often do you go out and start it up, drive it around the block a few times just to keep it from sitting for months at a time?
Everything is drained before winter. There is pink type liquid stuff that you put in the lines to assure nothing freezes. Any break in the weather during the winter I start up for awhile and try to take them out for a drive. I drive the van to work on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone 4 hand me down

dubc47834
02-13-2018, 10:29 AM

We take our travel trailer in every winter and have it winterized. Should be able to get it done for less that $100. It usually cost us about $75. They just drain all the water from the lines and pumps and run RV antifreeze thru the lines. Once it's finished we put a cover over it and call it good for the winter!

dougdirt
02-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it. It's been added to my ever expanding checklist of RV Things.

dougdirt
02-15-2018, 03:14 AM
Scooter Gennett sort of stole my RV idea.

https://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sports/mlb/reds/2018/02/13/reds-gennett-drives-rv-spring-training/110376466/

JaxRed
02-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Obviously he's afraid to sign up for 2 month stint at Extended Stay. He's ready to head to another camp at a moment's notice.

goreds2
05-01-2018, 12:51 PM
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1986-ford-e150-high-top/6573966456.html ($1500)

goreds2
07-08-2018, 12:23 PM
This would make into a great stealth camper. $2500

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-ford-econoline-150-luxury/6637303584.html

Stealth Camping is the act of sleeping in non-conventional areas without trace or discovery. Though it may sound illegal, stealth camping, by definition, does not imply an illegal activity. Instead, stealth campers take advantage of free or extremely low cost sleeping areas where other campers never think to stay.

goreds2
08-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Finally took mine out camping for the first time this year. Sported a Cincinnati Reds shirt each day. Everyone liked my "This Team Cincinnati Makes Me Drink" t-shirt. I bought it from a vendor just outside GABP.

Here is the campsite. My great picture taking has my finger on the right hand side.

dougdirt
08-03-2018, 01:23 AM
Now you're talking!

Also, I'm going to need that cooler from you.

Rantly
09-26-2018, 09:17 PM
So Doug, just curious, are you still looking for an RV, or change of plans?

dougdirt
09-29-2018, 02:22 PM
So Doug, just curious, are you still looking for an RV, or change of plans?

Casually looking. There's been a few newer thoughts on perhaps going the van route, if I can get a shower/toilet situation going.

goreds2
10-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Probably asking a little too much but kinda cool.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2007-chevrolet-express-3500/6706536789.html

dougdirt
10-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Probably asking a little too much but kinda cool.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2007-chevrolet-express-3500/6706536789.html

I'm not sure if that's too much or not.... but it doesn't seem that outrageous on the surface.

That said, I'm out of the market for a while. Something exciting came up and is going to take every last penny that I've got to make happen.

WrongVerb
10-11-2018, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure if that's too much or not.... but it doesn't seem that outrageous on the surface.

That said, I'm out of the market for a while. Something exciting came up and is going to take every last penny that I've got to make happen.

Anna Kendrick is single again? :D

Kinsm
10-11-2018, 03:58 PM

Doug paid Hilton to hire her?

dougdirt
10-11-2018, 04:06 PM

The great Michael Scott once said: BFD, engaged ain't married.

And last I knew, she wasn't even engaged.

Can't talk about what's happening yet, because it could technically still fall through..... but when it happens, you guys will probably notice. It's not as exciting as that makes it sound. I'm excited about it, though.

JaxRed
10-12-2018, 11:39 AM
DougDirt Television Network.....

dougdirt
10-12-2018, 12:19 PM
DougDirt Television Network.....

I mean, that could definitely happen via the Youtubes. The RML channel has 764,400 alltime views in 10.5 years. If we could just get that on each video, we'd be doing some real damage!

bucksfan2
10-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Doug is becoming Pete Rose's publicist!

dougdirt
10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Doug is becoming Pete Rose's publicist!

It's not THAT exciting.

GAC
10-28-2018, 10:31 AM
In my opinion, Fall to late fall is the best time of year to buy an RV because if they want to sell it, they want to before paying to place in storage. I got my camper van via an estate sale for only $2200. People post and say they got a good deal on something but never say how much they paid so there you go. It has a stove, fridge, toilet but no shower or generator. Mine is on the left. Fiance's on the right.

My wife and I are getting ready to retire, want to travel some to see this country, and a camper-van like you have is right up our alley. Going to look into it at some point.

goreds2
05-31-2019, 11:56 AM
In honor of school being out now.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/d/hebron-mini-bus-turned-into-camper/6877618887.html

marcshoe
06-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Did we ever determine that, yes, some people do own RV's?

goreds2
06-15-2020, 07:13 AM
We have a seasonal campsite this year. Here is part of the setup.
(Maybe a moderator can flip the picture in the correct position)