PDA

View Full Version : 9/10/2017 Redlegs @ Metropolitans

WrongVerb
09-10-2017, 11:50 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJXocJLWsAAamJ9.jpg:small

WrongVerb
09-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Peraza starting in CF is...intriguing. I wonder if he's improved any from last year.

DocRed
09-10-2017, 12:10 PM
No TV?

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 12:49 PM
No TV?

Nope. Evidently they are abandoning Sundays to the NFL.

mth123
09-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Peraza starting in CF is...intriguing. I wonder if he's improved any from last year.

I wish he'd play CF all winter. I still think given some reps it's his best defensive position and he'd be a guy who could spell Billy without a huge drop-off if he can take to it. I don't like any of the other in house options in CF.

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Perhaps this is a sign that they are considering a supersub role for him, similar to that of Bip Roberts back in the early 90's.

mth123
09-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Perhaps this is a sign that they are considering a supersub role for him, similar to that of Bip Roberts back in the early 90's.

Hope so. It's the right role for him.

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 01:09 PM
I would prefer Scooter and Geno to be flip-flopped in the order, but other than that I like it.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Peraza doing a solid Hamilton impression so far, single on a soft liner and steals 2nd.

Cozart single and Peraza scores. 1-0 Redlegs.

WVRedsFan
09-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Center fielder leads off. Classic Dusty, er, Bryan.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Ervin is not that terrible of a CF that he cannot play there. This is BS. I cannot stand this philosophy that Baker and now Price has saddled this team with.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Suarez fouled off a 3-2 pitch and Mets announcers baffled why Price was sending the runners. Same.

He does it again but Suarez walks. Long inning for DeGrom.

Duvall sac fly 2-0 Reds.

Schebler goes down looking to end the frame.

dougdirt
09-10-2017, 01:29 PM
I hate Major League Baseball so much.

Game is not on Fox Sports Ohio. Game is not on MLB Network. Game is not on Fox. Game is not on ESPN. Game is IN NEW YORK. Game is free MLB.tv game of the day. People in Cincinnati? You can't watch it. People everywhere else on the planet? YOU GET TO WATCH IT!

I pay for Fox Sports Ohio. I pay for MLB.tv. Unless I'm willing to travel several states away there's no way for me to go to the game. But I can't watch the game because why?

Force me to watch the freakin' Bengals. Good job baseball. Thanks.

Kc61
09-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Second and third, no outs, for Mets against Romano in first inning.

One out, strikeout.

Mets score one, 2-1 Reds after one.

Kc61
09-10-2017, 01:43 PM

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Hamilton is out, so Price is probably just looking at a number of guys in CF.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it.

I read it as Price is an ass who doesn't understand the concept of playing younger players when you get the chance.

klw
09-10-2017, 01:45 PM
nice sunny day here, winter will be here soon, I will be outside and not watching this. (lunch break from treehouse building atm)

BCubb2003
09-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Mets announcers sound so depressed.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 02:00 PM
This guy has good stuff but again like anyone not named Castillo they either refuse to throw a change up or do not understand the value of it.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Good grief Keith Hernandez. The Cubs do not miss Chapman as the reason they are not doing better. That's not even top 2 on the list. Talk about just throwing out a name because it's a big name to throw out. I loathe Keith Hernandez and his just for men commercials.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Once again 2 outs and Romano just cannot finish it off.

Mutaman
09-10-2017, 03:00 PM
One of the boys' many problems is that they don't add on very well.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Duvall did better in this AB. But th ump as these guys do call a 2-0 ball a strike. High and wide. But it's 2-0 so I gotta call it a strike.

RED VAN HOT
09-10-2017, 03:12 PM
By my count the Mets have outhomered the Reds in this series 8-0. Where is the law of averages when you need it?

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 03:19 PM
I can understand Dartanian overpowering them but the other 3 are barely average. You can't blame the big ballpark either.

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 03:20 PM
Listening to the Cincinnati.com commerical on the radio with Marty Brennaman and Linda Antus.

Amanda should be worried. ;)

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Dropping four straight (as it appears they will) to basically a AAA Mets team in New York is pretty embarrassing.

mth123
09-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Wojo entered the game with a 5.84 ERA. Are their still people who want to bring him back next year at age 29?

WVRedsFan
09-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Dropping four straight (as it appears they will) to basically a AAA Mets team in New York is pretty embarrassing.

This whole season has been embarrassing.

mth123
09-10-2017, 03:24 PM
This whole season has been embarrassing.

Tanking. This loss helps the cause. Not my preference, but it's what they've been doing.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Wojo entered the game with a 5.84 ERA. Are their still people who want to bring him back next year at age 29?
Was anybody saying he should be some lock to return in 2018? I was intrigued by his K/BB but I was certainly never figuring him to be some 2018 solution.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Cozart! :jump:

Tie game

WVRedsFan
09-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Tanking. This loss helps the cause. Not my preference, but it's what they've been doing.Sad, but true. I still can't see sitting Ervin, playing Peraza in CF and leading off, and Substituting Kivlehan for Duvall with the pitching change. I get mystified at the lineups and moves. The Cozart HR ties it, but remember, this is a AAA team we're playing. Guess that's appropriate because I'm many ways, the lineup we put out there was only AAA+.

RED VAN HOT
09-10-2017, 03:36 PM
By my count the Mets have outhomered the Reds in this series 8-0. Where is the law of averages when you need it?

That's what I'm talking about.

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Scooter tossed by the home plate umpire.

09-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Overly sensitive home plate ump. Scooter was madder at himself than the call.

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Zach Vincej now at 2B, batting 4th.

mth123
09-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Sad, but true. I still can't see sitting Ervin, playing Peraza in CF and leading off, and Substituting Kivlehan for Duvall with the pitching change. I get mystified at the lineups and moves. The Cozart HR ties it, but remember, this is a AAA team we're playing. Guess that's appropriate because I'm many ways, the lineup we put out there was only AAA+.

Ervin is a fringe prospect whose minor league career pretty much told the Reds he's not a CF. They moved him off the position and played guys like Darnell Sweeney and Beau Amaral there instead. He may have a career as a 5th OF who rides the AAAA bus between the big leagues and AAA but he's a .240 hitter in the minor leagues who is more of an offense first corner player. He runs fast but his arm says he's more of a LF than a RF. They don't need to see him every day in September to have an opinion of who he is.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Ervin is a fringe prospect
This is not the popular consensus, only yours. The worst I've seen scouts/writers say is that he might be AAA tweener, which is apparently what you view his ceiling as.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 03:57 PM
He's performed better than AAA tweener so far. What the he'll does it matter if winning does not matter. By definition he should be playing more so they lose more. It's just Price trying to be like Dusty and go with who's been here.

Mutaman
09-10-2017, 03:59 PM

When Citifield opened it was really hard to hit a HR there. (Although I seem to recall seeing David Weathers give up back to backers). Drove David Wright crazy. Now guys I never heard of are hitting them out. I know they moved the fences in a little but this is ridiculous.

mth123
09-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Was anybody saying he should be some lock to return in 2018? I was intrigued by his K/BB but I was certainly never figuring him to be some 2018 solution.

Here is a post that suggested that.

There are several guys who may no longer be deemed "prospects", who would be nice to retain for next season. McGuire, Ross, Wojo, Shackleford are four who come to mind. (Shackleford based on his recent string of scoreless appearances.)

There have been others scattered about the various threads that all run together.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Here is a post that suggested that.
I was with you in that regard, those aren't guys I'm using a 40 Man spot on. I thought you went overboard lumping a guy like Jackson Stephens in with that motley crew though.

Reds go ahead on a Barnhart double, he's had a big game.

Tony Cloninger
Schebler ? The stop sign is on and you do that. He's safe because he did not tag him.

mth123
He's performed better than AAA tweener so far. What the he'll does it matter if winning does not matter. By definition he should be playing more so they lose more. It's just Price trying to be like Dusty and go with who's been here.

It doesn't really, but I think Peraza has a better chance to be the guy who spells Hamilton in CF than any of the others. I'd rather see him out there every day for the rest of the year. He's pretty rough out there now, but he needs OF reps to find out if he can improve. Ervin has had plenty in his minor league career and the Reds know what they have even if we haven't seen it.

Bourgeois Zee
This is not the popular consensus, only yours. The worst I've seen scouts/writers say is that he might be AAA tweener, which is apparently what you view his ceiling as.

I'd argue a AAA 'tweener (which is pretty much the consensus outside of doug) is the very definition of fringe prospect.

mth123
09-10-2017, 04:06 PM
I was with you in that regard, those aren't guys I'm using a 40 Man spot on. I thought you went overboard lumping a guy like Jackson Stephens in with that motley crew though.

My point was that Stephens was the least accomplished pitcher they should be interested in. If they need a spot, he should be the first to go. These other journeyman can't even pass that threshold and shouldn't even be in the picture IMO.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 04:07 PM
I'd argue a AAA 'tweener (which is pretty much the consensus outside of doug) is the very definition of fringe prospect.
Again I'm not sure what consensus you guys are looking at. Going into this year Fangraphs said a platoon guy. Baseball Prosepctus said he could be a solid regular. That's not "5th outfielder riding the bus to Louisville", I haven't seen anybody that down on him outside of Redszone.

Personally, I envision a solid 4th outfielder.

Bourgeois Zee
09-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Reds up 7 - 5 after Price intelligently challenges call on field.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Scott gets bailed out of his knuckleheadness.

mth123
09-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Reds up 7 - 5 after Price intelligently challenges call on field.

They're tanking. That may hurt the draft position. Fire his butt.;)

mth123
09-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Again I'm not sure what consensus you guys are looking at. Going into this year Fangraphs said a platoon guy. Baseball Prosepctus said he could be a solid regular. That's not "5th outfielder riding the bus to Louisville", I haven't seen anybody that down on him outside of Redszone.

Personally, I envision a solid 4th outfielder.

Is it the .250BA, the below .400 slugging percentage or the fact that his organization relegated him to being a corner OF that give you that impression? None of that screams big league prospect.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Is it the .250BA, the below .400 slugging percentage or the fact that his organization relegated him to being a corner OF that give you that impression? None of that screams big league prospect.
It's probably the tools and not just the numbers. Try telling the Nationals this year that they should have stopped giving Brian Goodwin playing time because his minor league numbers were disappointing and see what they say.

Bourgeois Zee
09-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Again I'm not sure what consensus you guys are looking at.

He's ranked 23rd among Red prospects by Mayo. His blurb mentions a possible Marlon Byrd career, but he's behind Winker, Hamilton, Duvall, and Schebler at the major league level and a questionable CF according to all. That pegs him as a fifth OF. At best.

BP said, in 2016, "...it’s tough to see him becoming more than a fourth outfielder." They followed that up with a comment about his play during the season, "Ervin’s been a mess since returning to Triple A after a quick cup of coffee. The combination of his own poor performance and Scott Schebler’s breakout has Ervin drifting farther away from significant 2017 time in Cincinnati."

The best John Sickels could say about a professional career: "I think it’s possible. No, he’s not going to hit .300 or be the star the Reds originally envisioned, but if he can hit .240-.250, his speed and power should still give him a career."

If he becomes a Chris Heisey type, I'd be tickled to death. I just don't see the (minor league evidence of) power.

- - - Updated - - -

Scott gets bailed out of his knuckleheadness.

How so?

He was safe. It was a good play.

mth123
09-10-2017, 04:28 PM
It's probably the tools and not just the numbers. Try telling the Nationals this year that they should have stopped giving Brian Goodwin playing time because his minor league numbers were disappointing and see what they say.

I get the tools. But they basically have never shown up in games since his draft year. Goodwin went .280/.349/.438/.787 in AAA in 2016 and actually did play the majority of his games in CF.

Ervin does have good plate discipline, which is why he's intriguing, but you have to hit for it to matter when making the jump and he really hasn't hit much IMO.

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 04:37 PM
He's ranked 23rd among Red prospects by Mayo. His blurb mentions a possible Marlon Byrd career, but he's behind Winker, Hamilton, Duvall, and Schebler at the major league level and a questionable CF according to all. That pegs him as a fifth OF. At best.

BP said, in 2016, "...it’s tough to see him becoming more than a fourth outfielder." They followed that up with a comment about his play during the season, "Ervin’s been a mess since returning to Triple A after a quick cup of coffee. The combination of his own poor performance and Scott Schebler’s breakout has Ervin drifting farther away from significant 2017 time in Cincinnati."

The best John Sickels could say about a professional career: "I think it’s possible. No, he’s not going to hit .300 or be the star the Reds originally envisioned, but if he can hit .240-.250, his speed and power should still give him a career."

If he becomes a Chris Heisey type, I'd be tickled to death. I just don't see the (minor league evidence of) power.

- - - Updated - - -

How so?

He was safe. It was a good play.

Did you watch the play? He ran through the stop sign. Catcher was waiting for him but tagged through him instead of at him. It was not a good play. It was a bad play to run through the sign with 1 out and a worse play by the catcher to bail him out.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Now a three run jack by Tucker

BCubb2003
09-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Tucky!

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2017, 04:40 PM
I get the tools. But they basically have never shown up in games since his draft year. Goodwin went .280/.349/.438/.787 in AAA in 2016 and actually did play the majority of his games in CF.

Ervin does have good plate discipline, which is why he's intriguing, but you have to hit for it to matter when making the jump and he really hasn't hit much IMO.

Give me his plate discipline and his other tools over Kiev for the bench spot then. I will take that plus the fact I think he could outperform Billy and help the team not wear Hamilton out.

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Now a three run jack by Tucker

http://tuckerclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/tucker-1003.jpg

mth123
09-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Give me his plate discipline and his other tools over Kiev for the bench spot then. I will take that plus the fact I think he could outperform Billy and help the team not wear Hamilton out.

If I thought he could do that I'd be with you. The defensive drop alone would be a huge downgrade from Billy. I'm all for getting a 4th Of who can play all three positions adequately with some offensive ability and would allow Billy to sit 30 or so times per year. That isn't Ervin IMO. The Reds have a need to fill in this area IMO.

It could be Peraza if he can develop out there but more likely they need some one from outside the organization.

_Sir_Charles_
09-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Helluva game by Barnhart. :thumbup:

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Today's Joe Nuxhall Star of the Game is Tucker Barnhart, who was 3-for-4 with a single, 2-run double, and 3-run HR, 5 RBI's, 1 run scored, and 1 BB.

WVRedsFan
09-10-2017, 04:59 PM
The Reds now know what the rest of the league feels about our bully. Lousy bullpen makes it easy. Nice come from behind win, 10-5, and a win for Stephens. Lousy baseball is no fun to watch unless your guys win.

Big Klu
09-10-2017, 04:59 PM
On pace for 70-92.

Mutaman
09-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Reds sweep BrewCru, BrewCru sweeps Cubs, Reds lose 3 of 4 to the Maddoffs.

Tom Servo
09-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Just watched the clip of Schebler's overturned run scored on the Barnhart double with Marty commentary and he was just burying Schebler, ("he's out and he can't get out of his own way right now") because of course he was.