About
Who
Is
Playing
For
Boston?

Kc61
09-23-2017, 03:40 PM
This is the 34th game Reds have played against a LH starting pitcher this year.

Reds have faced RH starters 121 times. Under 22% of starting pitching facing the Reds this season has been left handed.

The NL Central was particularly heavy on RH starters this season. There has been a recent reduction in LH starters in MLB generally.

Reds should consider this in forming next year’s team. In particularly, facing so many righties, Reds should consider keeping Scooter Gennett who hits righties so well.

OTOH, Reds have won only 8 of the 33 games against lefty starters. So there is a need to keep some effective RH hitting. But it’s such a small sample, not sure much can be derived from that W-L record.

BluegrassRedleg
09-23-2017, 03:56 PM
I will miss ol' 61. This is a great tribute.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
I will miss ol' 61. This is a great tribute.

Nice touch by the Sox to bring and present a #61 metal plate from the Green Monster.

BluegrassRedleg
09-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Nice touch by the Sox to bring and present a #61 metal plate from the Green Monster.

That's a truly awesome keepsake.

redsmetz
09-23-2017, 04:09 PM

I don't understand what this means. What sort of metal plate? Can't find anything on it.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 04:13 PM
I don't understand what this means. What sort of metal plate? Can't find anything on it.

The plates that the Red Sox hang on the manual scoreboard on the Green Monster. They brought the #61 plate that they hang to identify the uniform number of the pitcher in the game.

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Bogaerts just sneaks a double down the 3B line, goes to third on passed ball and scores on a sac fly.

BluegrassRedleg
09-23-2017, 04:16 PM
The plates that the Red Sox hang on the manual scoreboard on the Green Monster. They brought the #61 plate that they hang to identify the uniform number of the pitcher in the game.

The real deal, too, weathered and dented. It was really cool.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Would it kill the Reds to spring for green undershirts and helmets on Irish Day?

mth123
09-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Would it kill the Reds to spring for green undershirts and helmets on Irish Day?

What is Irish day? I'm not a uniform guy, but I really hate the green ones.

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Thought we were working on development here, why walk an #8 hitter early in a game to face the pitcher?

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 04:36 PM
What is Irish day? I'm not a uniform guy, but I really hate the green ones.

Today is "Irish Heritage Day" at the ballpark. (I was unaware until I turned the game on.) They are wearing green jerseys, caps, and socks, but still have red undershirts, helmets, and catching gear.

At least Bronson was wearing the traditional white home uniform during the pregame ceremony.

mth123
09-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Today is "Irish Heritage Day" at the ballpark. (I was unaware until I turned the game on.) They are wearing green jerseys, caps, and socks, but still have red undershirts, helmets, and catching gear.

At least Bronson was wearing the traditional white home uniform during the pregame ceremony.

So, it's something they invented to get more use out of the green unis beside just on St. Patrick's day. They need to stick them in a trash bag IMO.

Then throw it off the suspension bridge.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 04:46 PM
So, it's something they invented to get more use out of the green unis beside just on St. Patrick's day. They need to stick them in a trash bag IMO.

Then throw it off the suspension bridge.

I don't mind them on St. Patrick's Day, but I don't know why they are wearing them now. But I also don't know why they were wearing the "Los Rojos" jerseys last night, yet they don't wear German-themed "Roten" jerseys for Oktoberfest.

mth123
09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
I don't mind them on St. Patrick's Day, but I don't know why they are wearing them now. But I also don't know why they were wearing the "Los Rojos" jerseys last night, yet they don't wear German-themed "Roten" jerseys for Oktoberfest.

Agreed, but at least those are actually red. Nothing dumber than seeing "Reds" written across a green jersey. At least write "Cincinnati" instead.

WVRedsFan
The more likely answer as to why the green uniforms is fan sales. I don't like them either, but I remember them wearing them way back once per year on St. Patty's day.

Tom Servo
It's Hispanic Heritage Month so I at least get that. Plus there is no shortage of hispanic players. The Irish thing though is just designating a random day as "Irish Heritage Day" in order to wear the green uniforms.

Donder
09-23-2017, 04:52 PM
I would much much much prefer them wear throwbacks than the green, camo, and Rojos jerseys. And I agree with Big Klu, Cincinnati is known for its German heritage. Why not German instead of Irish? Other than they already have them, which would be a cheap explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Only a walk for Suarez for offense for the Reds through the first three.

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Three scoreless frames for Bob since the run in the first inning.

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Joey delivered the Reds first hit but got greedy and was thrown out at 2nd.

Still 1-0 BoSox after 4.

Banshee
09-23-2017, 05:20 PM
BobSteve's changeup is really looking like a ++ pitch, totally changing the swings against him. Cruising through 5.

Banshee
09-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Hope I didn't jinx him..

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Hope I didn't jinx him..
Nah it's on him. Errors and walks haunt. Then a HR doesn't help.

4-0 Red Sox.

Banshee
09-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Crap. Hanging Changeup, 3 run HR. 4-0 Sox.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 05:36 PM
It's Hispanic Heritage Month so I at least get that. Plus there is no shortage of hispanic players. The Irish thing though is just designating a random day as "Irish Heritage Day" in order to wear the green uniforms.

I had no idea September was Hispanic Heritage Month.

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Nice to see Bob work out of a bad inning.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Agreed, but at least those are actually red. Nothing dumber than seeing "Reds" written across a green jersey. At least write "Cincinnati" instead.

I don't mind the green "Reds" jerseys for St. Patty's Day; it's sort of ironic. I remember when I was 10 I saw a picture of Ken Griffey in the St. Patrick's Day uniform during Spring Training (it was a green-trimmed version of the traditional home white BRM uniform), and I thought it was neat that the uniform still said "Reds" but everything was green, including the caps, helmets, undershirts, and stirrups.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 05:55 PM
One last comment about the uniforms, and then I'll shut up (this comment is a positive one):

I notice that the numbers do not have black trim around them, but are a plain white number on the green background. I think this is an improvement.

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Amir Garrett started off well in the 7th with a strikeout and groundout but then walk, walk, RBI single, though Duvall once again throws out a baserunner to end the inning.

Kc61
09-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Amir Garrett started off well in the 7th with a strikeout and groundout but then walk, walk, RBI single, though Duvall once again throws out a baserunner to end the inning.

I thought Garrett looked more solid in his delivery today. He needs to begin next season at AAA, as does Cody Reed.

malcontent
09-23-2017, 06:23 PM
I thought Garrett looked more solid in his delivery today. He needs to begin next season at AAA, as does Cody Reed.
At this point I trust Reed to turn the corner more than I do Garrett.

Kc61
09-23-2017, 06:25 PM
At this point I trust Reed to turn the corner more than I do Garrett.

I think the opposite. But neither is a major league pitcher right now.

The first question Reds need to ask about every member of next year’s pitching staff, starter or reliever - is this guy a major league pitcher?

malcontent
09-23-2017, 06:43 PM
The first question Reds need to ask about every member of next year’s pitching staff, starter or reliever - is this guy a major league pitcher?
But starter or reliever? These two guys have been starters in the minors but are now being used in relief.

Can't some of the issues be attributable to that switch? And which role do you think suits each best?

blumj
09-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Weird, pretty sure the Red Sox manager didn't want the Red Sox to score.

WVRedsFan
09-23-2017, 06:50 PM
I guess I look at these prospects and wonder if they will be major league pitchers. Young pithing is mostly up and down but with a couple of exceptions, it's been down. I hope I'm wrong, but getting a couple of starters like Kc says, might be the ticket.

Tom Servo
09-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Pretty lifeless effort from the home team today, shut out. Thought Stephenson looked pretty good despite the four total runs allowed.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Pretty lifeless effort from the home team today, shut out. Thought Stephenson looked pretty good despite the four total runs allowed.

Today's Joe Nuxhall Star of the Game is Bronson Arroyo, because...well, just because.

50YrRedsFan
09-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Reds received more walks than they had hits. These are the type of teams the Reds need to be competitive with to really show they can contend. They are definitely a ways away from that. Overmatched by Boston completely.

Big Klu
09-23-2017, 07:09 PM
On pace for 69-93.

Kc61
09-23-2017, 07:09 PM
But with that question the eternal conundrum, starter or reliever? These two guys have been starters in the minors but are now being used in relief.

Can't some of the issues be attributable to that switch? And which role do you think suits each best?

I don’t attribute their problems to switching from starter to relief. Reed has had the walk problem both roles. Garrett is only relieving now, has been a starter all season.

I think Garrett will be a starter. He’s been injured, his hip. He needs to be fully healed and get back on track.

Reed? Can’t seem to lick the walks. Not much progress, at least visibly, this year. I’d be inclined to let him relieve next year - get better in shorter outings.

Both should begin at AAA IMO.