PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily Moving to Cincinnati -suggestions

Raisor
02-12-2018, 09:14 PM
Amanda, our cat, and I are going to spend the next couple years moving around North America every month or two to see where we want to settle down.

Probably going to use Airbnb most of the time, but also extended stay hotels when we have to.

Our first stop will be Dallas for a week or two while we help her mom move (she's taking a job as a live in nanny with our best friend), but after that we are going to hit the Cincinnati area for the beginning of the baseball season.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some smaller towns in the area (don't really care which state)?

My only real requirement is that I need a Starbucks, or other coffee place, with wifi to work out of.

What say you?

Bourgeois Zee
02-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Northern Kentucky's Erlanger seems to have some nice people in it.

What size town are you looking for?

Raisor
02-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Northern Kentucky's Erlanger seems to have some nice people in it.

What size town are you looking for?

Small enough that there isn't more than two Starbucks. (One of them should be in a grocery store or Target)

But seriously, 50k people and less.

KronoRed
02-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Elanger also has a Tim Horton's if you want real coffee.

westofyou
02-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Phospates... Graeters

Thank me later

Raisor
02-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Elanger also has a Tim Horton's if you want real coffee.

Maple logs, poutine, and a side of hockey

Kinsm
02-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Oxford

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, how far from the stadium - drive time - are we talking? I could name a dozen smaller towns that would work in the tri-state area depending on that question.

BernieCarbo
02-13-2018, 12:03 AM
South Dayton is cool, and you wouldn't be far from the Dragons.

medford
02-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Lebanon might fit your bill. Small town feel, I know there is 1 starbucks inside the Kroger, can't think of another Starbucks location. A lot of good mom & pop type restaurants downtown, about 30 minutes north of Downtown Cincy, about 30 min south of Down Town Dayton depending on traffic/time of day. Close to Kings Island if that floats your boat, close to a racino if that floats your boat. If you are only looking at a month or two, I think a lot of any recommendation is going to depend on the type of activities/work you plan to do over those 2 months. If you like to do a lot of outdoor adventures, some areas are going to be better than others, if you want to satisfy your appetite, another area may work better. If you want/need convenient access to the highway, then another area may work better. If you want to be able to walk everywhere possible, including the grocery store, diner, etc... a 4th spot may be best. There are lots of good areas to settle into for a month or two, but the best is going to depend upon what you want to do over those 2 months; what you enjoy.

Ohayou
02-13-2018, 05:03 PM
I second Lebanon. Mason is similarish. Liberty Township is also nice, although it is rapidly growing.

dougdirt
02-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Small enough that there isn't more than two Starbucks. (One of them should be in a grocery store or Target)

But seriously, 50k people and less.

Well, at least I don't have to worry about Phil being my neighbor.

Signed,
Guy who lives in a township with over 70,000 people.

WrongVerb
02-13-2018, 05:28 PM
Well, at least I don't have to worry about Phil being my neighbor.

Signed,
Guy who lives in a township with over 70,000 people.

Hey now, Phil is everyone's neighbor.

Kinsm
02-13-2018, 05:36 PM
I second Lebanon. Mason is similarish. Liberty Township is also nice, although it is rapidly growing.

There are probably a dozen + starbucks in Mason/Liberty/West Chester...

too big for his parameters.

dabvu2498
02-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Resident of Liberty Township here. I dig it. Although when you combine us with WC, we’re over 100k. I’d recommend Monroe. Easier access to I-75. Not much of a town, per se, but there is a good coffee spot and it’s accessible to LT and WC and Lebanon and Middletown (for visiting the Kyle Schwarber shrine).

- - - Updated - - -

There are probably a dozen + starbucks in Mason/Liberty/West Chester...

too big for his parameters.

Only thing you need in WC is CAVU Coffee.

Yachtzee
02-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Resident of Liberty Township here. I dig it. Although when you combine us with WC, we’re over 100k. I’d recommend Monroe. Easier access to I-75. Not much of a town, per se, but there is a good coffee spot and it’s accessible to LT and WC and Lebanon and Middletown (for visiting the Kyle Schwarber shrine).

- - - Updated - - -

Only thing you need in WC is CAVU Coffee.

Monroe also has a Tim Horton's, a Waffle House, and the famous church which used to have the ginormous "Touchdown Jesus" statue that was destroyed by lightning and replaced with a more traditional looking ginormous Jesus statue.

Raisor
02-21-2018, 02:13 PM
Leaning towards Dayton right now. I have a ton of family in the Richmond, IN area, so it would be in a good centralized area between there and Cincinnati

medford
02-21-2018, 03:22 PM
The main suburbs south of Dayton (Kettering, Centerville & Springboro) would all exceed your 50,000 size. I'm not familiar with the northern suburbs, Tipp City may work. Can't really offer much about that part of town. I'm not sure how big Oakwood is, but may fit your needs for a few months. Its definently on the pricier side of things, but there are a decent amount of good places one could walk to if that was a desire, plus your are in the middle of Kettering and the City of Dayton, so you'd be close to most larger amenities.

RedsfaninMT
02-21-2018, 03:25 PM
Leaning towards Dayton right now. I have a ton of family in the Richmond, IN area, so it would be in a good centralized area between there and Cincinnati

Oxford does fit your requirements, and is more central to Richmond and Cincinnati.

dabvu2498
02-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Monroe also has a Tim Horton's, a Waffle House, and the famous church which used to have the ginormous "Touchdown Jesus" statue that was destroyed by lightning and replaced with a more traditional looking ginormous Jesus statue.

Don’t forget the Hustler store.

Kinsm
02-21-2018, 05:33 PM
So...Oxford it is?!

Raisor
02-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have a mother-in-law suite attached to their house they aren't using?

Asking for a friend.

My cat.

Roy Tucker
02-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Yeah, much of it depends on what you want to do for that month.

All the ones named here, Mason (home of Roy), Lebanon is a nice real town, West Chester, Springboro, Centerville, Kettering, Beavercreek.

More Cincinnati-way, you’ve got Fairfield west of town, Wyoming is very nice, Blue Ash, Mariemont is a quaint burg.

If I were young and mobile, I’d check out OTR downtown and hang with all the hipsters and drink all the great beer down there and go to all the shows and nightlife. There is a lot happening there.

dougdirt
02-21-2018, 06:57 PM

All the ones named here, Mason (home of Roy), Lebanon is a nice real town, West Chester, Springboro, Centerville, Kettering, Beavercreek.

More Cincinnati-way, you’ve got Fairfield west of town, Wyoming is very nice, Blue Ash, Mariemont is a quaint burg.

If I were young and mobile, I’d check out OTR downtown and hang with all the hipsters and drink all the great beer down there and go to all the shows and nightlife. There is a lot happening there.

Be careful with Fairfield. Some parts are nice. Some parts I wouldn't let my mom drive through.

Roy Tucker
02-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Be careful with Fairfield. Some parts are nice. Some parts I wouldn't let my mom drive through.

Yeah. I work there so yes, pick the good spots.

WrongVerb
02-21-2018, 07:12 PM

Dayton really is just one big metropolitan area that contains all those smaller cities. If you're looking for <50,000 population and don't care that it's attached to a larger metro area, then definitely select one of those. But if you're more looking for a town in the middle of a rural area, Waynesville or Brookville or Xenia might better suit your needs.

SunDeck
02-25-2018, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure Cincinnati is ready for this.

BernieCarbo
02-25-2018, 09:41 AM
Dayton really is just one big metropolitan area that contains all those smaller cities. If you're looking for <50,000 population and don't care that it's attached to a larger metro area, then definitely select one of those. But if you're more looking for a town in the middle of a rural area, Waynesville or Brookville or Xenia might better suit your needs.

Centerville and Kettering kind of run into each other, but Springboro is still off by itself. Downtown Miamisburg is awesome too, and they are both close to I-75. Once you get out by Waynesville and Lebanon, you have to figure in the commute.

Personally, as far as living close to something, I much prefer Dayton over Cincy. Downtown Dayton has so many options for live music, and the dining is more eclectic. Plus, if you live in a place like Miamisburg, you are living rural, but are still fifteen minutes from downtown Dayton.

paintmered
02-25-2018, 09:50 AM

If your goal is to be accessible to both Cincy and Richmond, Tipp City would be a good option and meets your criteria. It's still relatively small (around 10,000 people) but has all the basics of modern civilization and a nice historic downtown area. It's also five minutes drive north of the I-75/I-70 interchange and an hour to downtown Cincy (if traffic is behaving). However, Tipp is a bedroom community of Dayton, which means it will give you a taste of living in Dayton but not Cincy.

If you consider Tipp, be aware that some of the approach patterns for Dayton's airport are nearby - I've known more than a few Tipp residents who complained about aircraft noise after building a home not realizing they're aligned to a runway a few miles away.

Ohayou
02-25-2018, 03:15 PM
I was recommending cities closer to Cincinnati, but if you're willing to live a little closer to Dayton, then I would second everything Roy said. I would also recommend Bellbrook/Sugarcreek Township, Miamisburg, and Waynesville. I've lived in Beavercreek for most of my adult life - it's kind of the go-to suburb for families in south Dayton, other than Oakwood. Not as small as you'd prefer, maybe, but it does have a country-living sort of aspect to it. I would tell you to just go to Yellow Springs, actually, but good luck finding a house there.

North Dayton, I personally don't care for. Englewood may be an option, though. Short drive to Richmond, not too far from Cincinnati.

15fan
02-26-2018, 10:00 PM
What other places are you considering after metro-Cincinnati?

Raisor
02-27-2018, 07:23 AM
What other places are you considering after metro-Cincinnati?

After Cincinnati we head back to Atlanta to house sit for my parents while they are in Europe for their 50th(!) anniversary. Then we are heading towards Vegas. Probably will take a few month to get there as we will only be able to drive an hour or two each day after I'm done working for the day

medford
02-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Why only an hour or two? I have no clue what you do for work, but it would seem that even after a 12 hour work day, you could put in 4-6 hours of driving, moving 1-2 hours at a time doesn't really let you experience any certain area at any length, why not put in a longer drive, then settle in somewhere for a few days before moving on again, say Atlanta to Birmingham to Memphis, long stretch to Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, somewhere in the Grand Canyon, then finally Vegas?

15fan
02-27-2018, 03:25 PM
You might check out Asheville NC, Nashville, and/or Santa Fe. Different vibes to each place, none terribly big, but big enough to offer reasons to put down roots.

After growing up there, the midwest isn’t for me, but whenever we visit my sister and her family in Indianapolis, I’m pleasantly surprised by what the city has to offer.

Edit: my college roommate moved to Richmomd VA a couple of years ago. His wife grew up there and that’s another place that seems to have a lot to offer if you want something smaller yet urban.

Spanky
02-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Alexandria KY, is about 25 minutes south of Cincinnati, has a population of around 10,000 people, and there is a Starbucks in the Kroger.

TRF
02-27-2018, 05:03 PM
After Cincinnati we head back to Atlanta to house sit for my parents while they are in Europe for their 50th(!) anniversary. Then we are heading towards Vegas. Probably will take a few month to get there as we will only be able to drive an hour or two each day after I'm done working for the day

You stop in Amarillo, we are getting dinner.

Raisor
02-27-2018, 05:31 PM
You stop in Amarillo, we are getting dinner.

I am always up for food.

TRF
02-27-2018, 05:32 PM
I am always up for food.

Finally you will get decent Mexican Food.

Don't believe the haters from California.

Raisor
02-27-2018, 05:43 PM
Finally you will get decent Mexican Food.

Don't believe the haters from California.

I'm going to Joe T Garcia's in Ft Worth next week.

It's my favorite Mexican place.

TRF
02-27-2018, 05:45 PM
I'm going to Joe T Garcia's in Ft Worth next week.

It's my favorite Mexican place.

Texas has the best mexican food. And the best BBQ.

It's true, it's damn true.

Roy Tucker
03-03-2018, 12:01 AM
I would tell you to just go to Yellow Springs, actually, but good luck finding a house there.

I’m not sure Phil is hippie enough to live there.

I lived and worked there for 3 years after I got divorced. It’s a cool town. I still try to get up there at least once a year. Hike at Glen Helen, a bison burger and a brew at Ye Old Trails Tavern, browse some vinyl at Toxic Beauty, catch a flick at the Little Art Theater, and dinner at the Winds. Good times.

Yachtzee
03-05-2018, 08:55 PM

If I lived in Fairfield, all my money would be gone, spent at Jungle Jim's.

dougdirt
03-05-2018, 09:55 PM

Understandable. That place is the best.

RedTeamGo!
03-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Texas has the best mexican food. And the best BBQ.

It's true, it's damn true.

North Carolina would like to have a word with you about best bbq!

Also, I’m going to go with Mexico having the best Mexican food.

Kinsm
03-05-2018, 10:23 PM

There are 2 of them now.

Roy Tucker
03-05-2018, 10:35 PM

If I take the back way home from work, it’s in my way. Since it’s now just my wife and I for dinner (the kids have scattered to the 4 winds), I stop off a couple nights a week and freelance dinner. My wife puts up with my experiments as long as I cook.

Ohayou
03-05-2018, 10:35 PM

snob

dougdirt
03-06-2018, 12:21 AM

Everyone knows that Brooklyn has the best BBQ.

https://images.vice.com/munchies/wp_upload/fette-sau-BBQ.jpg

KronoRed
03-06-2018, 01:09 AM
....what is that?

RedTeamGo!
03-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Everyone knows that Brooklyn has the best BBQ.

https://images.vice.com/munchies/wp_upload/fette-sau-BBQ.jpg

Those pickles look delicious

medford
03-06-2018, 09:14 AM

The best Tex-Mex food I ever had was oddly enough in Bordeaux France. A little place I stumbled across, completely by chance, close to 20 years ago. Better than anything I ever had while in Mexico, Texas or anywhere else. It was amazing.

CySeymour
03-06-2018, 09:16 AM
I’m actually going to be relocating the family to the Dallas area later this year. What are the must go to eateries there?

RedTeamGo!
03-06-2018, 09:38 AM
The best Tex-Mex food I ever had was oddly enough in Bordeaux France. A little place I stumbled across, completely by chance, close to 20 years ago. Better than anything I ever had while in Mexico, Texas or anywhere else. It was amazing.

Tex-mex does not = Mexican

TRF
03-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Tex-Mex > Mexican

I mean duh.

dougdirt
03-06-2018, 10:24 AM
....what is that?

Seriously, and this is not a joke, that is a picture of "The Best BBQ" according to a recently, and insanely mocked VICE article. https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/d75jza/why-is-brooklyn-barbecue-taking-over-the-world?utm_source=munchiestwitterus

medford
03-06-2018, 11:07 AM

True, for sure, but it still blows my mind that the best food that I've ever ate resembling something closely related to Mexican food came while I was on the North Shores of France. Just seems that is as far away from the SW US-Mexico as you can get.

KronoRed
03-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Seriously, and this is not a joke, that is a picture of "The Best BBQ" according to a recently, and insanely mocked VICE article. https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/d75jza/why-is-brooklyn-barbecue-taking-over-the-world?utm_source=munchiestwitterus

Those people need a trip to the pit of misery.

Yachtzee
03-07-2018, 10:03 PM

One of the best steaks I've ever had was at an Argentinian restaurant in Salzburg, Austria. It was amazing. But then, I was at the end of my second year in Austria and had not had steak in that entire time. Of course, now that I've been away for over 20 years, I dream of Schnitzel from Figlmuller (https://www.figlmueller.at/de/willkommen.html) in Vienna and beers at the Augustiner Brewery (https://www.augustinerbier.at/?L=1) in Salzburg.

RedsBaron
03-14-2018, 08:31 AM
The best suggestion I can give to you is do not fly on United Airlines to get to Cincinnati, especially if you are bringing your dog.

Raisor
03-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Been delayed due to weather & work.

Looking at next week now. Going to set up shop in Dayton at first and see how it goes.

WrongVerb
03-14-2018, 08:01 PM
Been delayed due to weather & work.

Looking at next week now. Going to set up shop in Dayton at first and see how it goes.

Will you still be there in early June? I'll be back for a family visit.

Raisor
03-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Will you still be there in early June? I'll be back for a family visit.

We are going to be house sitting for my parents starting the second week in June. Not sure yet when we are leaving.

(And we still haven't left for Cincinnati. Work is getting in the way)

Bacon
03-28-2018, 07:51 AM
There are 2 of them now.

But the Fairfield (original) one blows the other away

Raisor
03-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Our plans have changed and when we come it'll only be for a week. Thanks for all the suggestions and maybe we'll do this next year.

RiverRat13
04-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Our plans have changed and when we come it'll only be for a week. Thanks for all the suggestions and maybe we'll do this next year.

You could have moved to Dayton and become Hunter Greene's host family.

dougdirt
04-02-2018, 12:22 PM

And the city threw a parade upon hearing this news.

Boston Red
04-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Our plans have changed and when we come it'll only be for a week.

21c

WrongVerb
04-02-2018, 12:34 PM
And the city threw a parade upon hearing this news.

It's actually a smaller parade than was planned for Raisor's grand entrance. In fact, it's now only a dog pulling a small child riding in a red wagon while blowing on a kazoo.