PDA

View Full Version : 3/24 Padres at Reds

JaxRed
03-24-2018, 04:03 PM
No lineup pic from C. Trent today. Finnegan starting and I think Garrett is supposed to get some innings today.

JaxRed
03-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Finnegan records ground out of 1st hitter. Home run to Will Myers. Hosmer pops out. Pirela grounds out.

JaxRed
03-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Peraza singles to open game for Reds. Hitting .327 now. ....then gets picked off. :( Gosselin strikes out. Votto walk. Gennett singles. Ervin flies out.

1-0 Padres

JaxRed
03-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Finngean gets groundout of first hitter. Next guy singles. Line out to SS. Next guy doubles. Second and Third, 2 out. Next hitter was a the pitcher and he k's swinging.

Winker leads off and gets plunked. ......and then gets picked off. Stop me if you've heard this before. Blandino grounds out.Barnhart lines out.

1-0 Pads going to 3rd.

JaxRed
03-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Finnegan gives up double to 1st batter. Not fooling many people. Runner steals 3rd. Single 2-0 Pads. Single first and third still 0 outs. Strikeout. 1 down. Flyout to CF. Ranner does not score. I assume it was shallow.

Sounds like the runner was thrown out in some kind of run-down. I think it went "runner on first starts to second, Barnhardt throws to second, runner retreats to 1st, Peraza throws there, Runner on 3rd strays off bag,
Votto throws to 3rd, runner breaks for home, thrown out at plate".

Bottom 3rd, Peraza, and Finnegan quick strikeouts. Gosselin does likewise. 2-0 Pads

klw
03-24-2018, 04:49 PM
No lineup pic from C. Trent today. Finnegan starting and I think Garrett is supposed to get some innings today.
From Sheldon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZD5MwBVwAExQ8u.jpg

JaxRed
03-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Finnegan done after 3. 5.06 ERA. Could wave been worse. Hughes in. K's the first 2 hitters. And make it 3 K's.

Votto walks and Scooter homers. 2-2. Ervin K's, Winker K's. Blandino lines out.

mth123
03-24-2018, 05:18 PM
So three today. Finnegan could go in a minor league game on opening day. Maybe 4 or 5. Then he can go April 3rd and go 5 for sure. Seems like he may be ready for April 9th, but I might wait one more outing. No need to rush him in a season where they aren't trying. .

JaxRed
03-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Garrett in to pitch!! That's a let down.... back to back doubles.... 3-2 Pads. Flyout to center runner advances. Single 4-2 Pads. Walk. Flyout. Flyout.

4-2 Pads.

rooscooter
03-24-2018, 05:23 PM
Garrett 2 pitches..... 2 doubles.

rooscooter
03-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Garrett getting hit hard. another double and a homer now.

ScotlandRed
03-24-2018, 05:47 PM
Maybe Garrets worst spring start in his last/most important spring start.

Kc61
03-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Maybe Garrets worst spring start in his last/most important spring start.

If the Reds are picking their team that way, they need a new FO.

ScotlandRed
03-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Yeah I think he’s already earned a spot. But the FO/coaching staff might not see it that way.

mth123
03-24-2018, 07:07 PM
If the Reds are picking their team that way, they need a new FO.

If they are letting 13 Spring Innings take precedence over a season getting crushed at every level he played in 2017 determine the roster, they also need a new FO. Garrett and Reed should have been ticketed for AAA from the start IMO. Stephenson on the fence, but showing he hasn't changed much doomed him.

Maybe Garrett was hurt today. We assume that's why he was awful last year and are chomping at the bit to throw him out there again. Maybe proving that it wasn't something else with a nice stretch in AAA would be a good idea.

Ron Madden
03-24-2018, 07:16 PM
Box Score

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/padres-vs-reds/2018/03/24/534234#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=534234

CincyDave
03-25-2018, 03:23 AM
The Reds need to cut bait with people like Reed, Stephenson, Garrett.

But, hey, they won't. Instead they'll run out Star Wars and Grateful Dead and Bark in the Park promos and hope we don't notice. We will, we do.

This front office is worthless. This team is a joke.

mth123
03-25-2018, 07:47 AM

But, hey, they won't. Instead they'll run out Star Wars and Grateful Dead and Bark in the Park promos and hope we don't notice. We will, we do.

I wouldn't go that far. I still have hopes for all of them. They just need to stop letting guys fail their way to a role on the big league roster. Guys who were obviously horrible in 2017, including being horrible in their time in AAA, should just be considered minor leaguers until they prove otherwise and the Reds should plan the roster accordingly. I don't think you can wash away what happened last season with a few good outings in Spring Training. A guy like Stephenson, whose results were more mixed in 2017 (decent results for a stretch late in the year but still some signs of trouble) is the kind of guy whose Spring performance may matter. This Spring he showed that the bad stuff he did in 2017 might be more who he is right now, so he goes down.

The Reds ignore their problems and put themselves in this position every year it seems. It's not fair to the pitchers. My hope right now is that Mahle isn't being rushed. A couple of years ago, I thought Reed would be able to handle a quick promotion to the big leagues with only 10 or so AAA starts. We see how that turned out. I'd be cautious, but the Reds frittered away the off-season and did nothing, so its too late for that now.

Raisor
03-25-2018, 07:50 AM

So the Reds should release Garrett, Reed, and Stephenson?

No.

RedTeamGo!
03-25-2018, 07:51 AM

Reed and Stephenson aren’t making the team and Garrett has had a good spring.

This post is a joke, right?

CincyDave
03-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Reed and Stephenson aren’t making the team and Garrett has had a good spring.

This post is a joke, right?

No. The joke is that management keeps trotting out these guys in hopes of convincing the fans that they are the pitching staff that will help this team. Sending them down is, of course, the right move. But what is their Plan B?

CincyDave
03-25-2018, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't go that far. I still have hopes for all of them. They just need to stop letting guys fail their way to a role on the big league roster. Guys who were obviously horrible in 2017, including being horrible in their time in AAA, should just be considered minor leaguers until they prove otherwise and the Reds should plan the roster accordingly.

The Reds ignore their problems and put themselves in this position every year it seems. It's not fair to the pitchers. My hope right now is that Mahle isn't being rushed. A couple of years ago, I thought Reed would be able to handle a quick promotion to the big leagues with only 10 or so AAA starts. We see how that turned out. I'd be cautious, but the Reds frittered away the off-season and did nothing, so its too late for that now.

I generally agree. Yet when they bring in FA journeymen to 'eat innings'-- not that they usually end up accomplishing that-- certain fans start screaming that they need to put the 'kids' out there, on a big league mound, facing big league hitters, to season them and show what they can do. We've seen how well that strategy has worked.

BTW, I don't blame these pitchers. They are who they are, and I'm sure they're giving it their all. I don't want to criticize them or call them terrible. They're still better than 99% of all the human in the world who play baseball.

mth123
03-25-2018, 06:34 PM
I generally agree. Yet when they bring in FA journeymen to 'eat innings'-- not that they usually end up accomplishing that-- certain fans start screaming that they need to put the 'kids' out there, on a big league mound, facing big league hitters, to season them and show what they can do. We've seen how well that strategy has worked.

BTW, I don't blame these pitchers. They are who they are, and I'm sure they're giving it their all. I don't want to criticize them or call them terrible. They're still better than 99% of all the human in the world who play baseball.

They just need to acquire a bonafide big league pitcher or two when there is a need. They can still devote spots to kids, but get a base of established innings to build on instead, go with the best kids they have and make the rest prove they belong by actually pitching well in AAA. They just don't want to pay anybody. They are making it much harder for these kids to be successful by the way they promote them. For the record, I'm not in favor of some fringe place holder along the lines of Feldman or Adelman, I want a solid starter. Those fringe guys are part of the problem. They pitch like the fringe guys they are and it creates the temptation to rush the kids instead.