PDA

View Full Version : From Slivers to reality

TRF
04-25-2018, 11:17 AM
I'm as optimistic as anyone about the Reds. I regularly pick them to win 90+ games in the prediction thread. Because Spring.

But, I'm also turning 50 this year and reality hits hard.

So, here are my reality takes.

14 games under .500 is daunting.
Castillo seems to be improving with each start, has yet to pitch a game that resembles anything he did last year.
Nobody has emerged to solidify the 5th starters spot
4 of the 5 Reds SP's have WHIP's above 1.40. The other is Homer Bailey at 1.16
If there is a plan for Nick Senzel, the brightest fans on Redszone cannot seem to see what it is.
Votto, despite the HR last night is in a bit of a funk.
The bullpen has been really good, but that chemistry is about to change with 2 additions in the next month. Which means 2 subtractions.
The bullpen has been ridden hard and shows signs of needing a break. Last night was a perfect example.
Duvall has been a disaster this year and LESS VALUABLE offensively than Billy Hamilton.
Blandino, Gosselin and Pennington have combined for 1 HR, 0 doubles and triples, 0 SB's and this line: .159 .250 .195 .445

I'm not trying to be a downer, but enthusiasm must be tempered by reality. If the Reds go on a 10 game winning streak counting the last 2 wins, they would still be 5 games under .500.

But..

Getting Schebler back has been a boost.
Suarez returning likely does the same.
Riggleman using a mix of Winker/Schebler at the top of the order is interesting.
I think the FO has provided the team with a VERY good, albeit underrated bullpen.
Mahle was DOMINANT for 6 innings last night. Romano more than solid his last outing. There have been some bright moments from the SP's over the last 2 weeks.

I'm not completely negative. The team has some interesting components.

Edskin
04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm not trying to be a downer, but enthusiasm must be tempered by reality. .

Good post, but I don't think you need to worry about tempering enthusiasm around these part.

TRF
04-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Good post, but I don't think you need to worry about tempering enthusiasm around these part.

I was giddy for 6 innings last night thinking of the post for today stating the league needs to get ready, the Reds are coming.

Reality kicked in during the 7th.

Edskin
04-25-2018, 02:38 PM
I was giddy for 6 innings last night thinking of the post for today stating the league needs to get ready, the Reds are coming.

Reality kicked in during the 7th.

Well, what's funny is no matter the reality I can't remove the "fan" from inside of me. I have pondered a few times what an all-time amazing story it would be if the Reds somehow reversed this and say, got to .500 in early August and made a late push for a wild card... All the while knowing the reality is that 65 wins might be the absolute best case.