PDA

View Full Version : BP Midseason Prospect List - Trammell Up Greene Down

07-13-2018, 07:11 PM
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/41327/2018-prospects-the-midseason-top-50/

#7 Nick Senzel, IF, Cincinnati Reds
Why he’ll succeed: Senzel came into the season as one of the “safest” high-end prospects in baseball, and then proceeded to hit .310/.378/.509 in the International League. There’s no real weakness in his profile, and whatever spot the Reds drop him on the dirt, the above-average hit/power combo should play.

Why he might fail: Despite the near .900 OPS for Senzel, it’s been a bit of a lost season. He missed a month with vertigo symptoms and then tore a tendon in his finger shortly after his return. He’ll miss the rest of 2018, and while there’s few long term concerns—and it’s the only reason he is even still eligible for this list—we’ll exercise a bit of caution.

#21 Taylor Trammell, OF, Cincinnati Reds
Why he’ll succeed: Premium athleticism, plus-plus speed, and an advanced approach that helps the hit tool play up. There’s more pop here than initially expected, too.

Why he might fail: For all his athleticism, he might end up in left field rather than center, increasing the offensive expectations of the profile. His arm won’t be an asset in either position

#45 Hunter Greene, RHP, Cincinnati Reds
Why he’ll succeed: It’s hard to argue with an arsenal as electric as the one Greene brings to the table. An eye-popping fastball is obviously the highlight here, and he shows signs that his command will surpass that of many fireballers. Not only is he able to blow the the ball by guys, his slider elicits swings and misses. He’s built well, and there isn’t any obvious reason he won’t be able to start games for a few more seasons at least.

Why he might fail: As a two-way player in high school and for a brief time after turning pro, there’s a lot more work to do with Greene than many prospects of his caliber. He needs to find a repeatable delivery that maximizes on his command potential—advanced hitters will punish a poorly located fastball, no matter how explosive. Not only that, he needs to show hitters a better changeup to keep them off the heater.

ochoa30
07-13-2018, 07:18 PM
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/41327/2018-prospects-the-midseason-top-50/

#7 Nick Senzel, IF, Cincinnati Reds
Why he’ll succeed: Senzel came into the season as one of the “safest” high-end prospects in baseball, and then proceeded to hit .310/.378/.509 in the International League. There’s no real weakness in his profile, and whatever spot the Reds drop him on the dirt, the above-average hit/power combo should play.

Why he might fail: Despite the near .900 OPS for Senzel, it’s been a bit of a lost season. He missed a month with vertigo symptoms and then tore a tendon in his finger shortly after his return. He’ll miss the rest of 2018, and while there’s few long term concerns—and it’s the only reason he is even still eligible for this list—we’ll exercise a bit of caution.

#21 Taylor Trammell, OF, Cincinnati Reds
Why he’ll succeed: Premium athleticism, plus-plus speed, and an advanced approach that helps the hit tool play up. There’s more pop here than initially expected, too.

Why he might fail: For all his athleticism, he might end up in left field rather than center, increasing the offensive expectations of the profile. His arm won’t be an asset in either position

#45 Hunter Greene, RHP, Cincinnati Reds
Why he’ll succeed: It’s hard to argue with an arsenal as electric as the one Greene brings to the table. An eye-popping fastball is obviously the highlight here, and he shows signs that his command will surpass that of many fireballers. Not only is he able to blow the the ball by guys, his slider elicits swings and misses. He’s built well, and there isn’t any obvious reason he won’t be able to start games for a few more seasons at least.

Why he might fail: As a two-way player in high school and for a brief time after turning pro, there’s a lot more work to do with Greene than many prospects of his caliber. He needs to find a repeatable delivery that maximizes on his command potential—advanced hitters will punish a poorly located fastball, no matter how explosive. Not only that, he needs to show hitters a better changeup to keep them off the heater.

Seems like a decent list but they have Keston Hiura way too high. No way he is a better prospect then Senzel.

WrongVerb
07-13-2018, 07:23 PM
That all seems like poor information. Senzel's finger was fractured but there was no tendon damage. Doug's more recent report on Trammell says his arm is going to be reasonable enough for center. And Greene has supposedly developed a nice changeup and his K/BB ratio over the past two months show that he's walking very, very few hitters which means he's repeating his delivery.

Griffey012
07-13-2018, 07:50 PM
I don't know how Greene drops with his performance this year. He is 18 and doing well after a rough start in A ball.

dougdirt
07-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Hunter Greene at 45 is hilariously bad. I just don't know how you could have watched him at some point in the last 2 months and thought there's 44 better prospects in minor league baseball than him.

07-13-2018, 10:26 PM
One interesting note...

Not a single Cardinal or Cub on this list. When was the last time that happened?

podgejeff_
07-13-2018, 10:31 PM
One interesting note...

Not a single Cardinal or Cub on this list. When was the last time that happened?

With how down the Cardinals have looked lately, I can only say that this is a very good thing.

Bourgeois Zee
07-14-2018, 11:55 AM
I suspect the author of the list hasn't seen Greene since early in the season (if at all) and has given only a cursory glance at his production since.

What I find interesting about the three Red prospects is each of their relatively high floors.

Senzel's only worry, according to the article, is a hurt finger and vertigo.

Trammell's worry is a position switch to LF.

Greene's worry is experience.

mth123
07-14-2018, 01:14 PM
The Reds need to be planning on Trammell as the CF by next season at this time when they peddle pending FA Billy Hamilton. His track and position should be decided upon with that in mind. They can always slow down or adjust if he shows he's having problems, but he should be plan A in CF for the next core group.

Kc61
07-14-2018, 03:25 PM
The Reds need to be planning on Trammell as the CF by next season at this time when they peddle pending FA Billy Hamilton. His track and position should be decided upon with that in mind. They can always slow down or adjust if he shows he's having problems, but he should be plan A in CF for the next core group.

I wouldn’t be spending too much time planning on Trammel in CF. I’d wait until next season and see if he’s around. Trammel may be the prime prospect Reds have to trade to get their pitching target, assuming they want to keep Senzel and Greene.

Benihana
07-14-2018, 03:55 PM
I wouldn’t count on Trammell until 2020, and I really hope they don’t trade him unless it’s a true ace coming back. Since the moment they drafted him, I always thought Trammell would be a special player.

As I said in another thread, perhaps Trammell plays CF for the first three years of his big league career until Votto retires and Winker moves to 1B.

corkedbat
07-15-2018, 05:06 AM
Noticed that the Reds had someone in the Top 10 of 5 of the 8 listed position groups by MLB.com.

1B (None)
2B Shed Long (6)
SS (None)
3B Nick Senzel (2)
OF Taylor Trammell (7)
CA Tyler Stephenson (9)
RH Hunter Greene (7)
LH (None)