PDA

View Full Version : 8/18/18 Reds vs Giants

Ironman92
08-18-2018, 03:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180818/5e9f4de4f0651792a31c3fb16a699d20.png

cumberlandreds
08-18-2018, 04:05 PM
The Dilson faction in RZ will be very happy tonight. :)

If Harvey is on his game tonight this cold be a very good pitching matchup with Bumgardner going for the Giants. Now watch it be a 15-14 game. :p

Ron Madden
08-18-2018, 04:17 PM
What are the odds of Dilson getting to play the whole game?
(without being double switched out of the game)

Big Klu
08-18-2018, 04:58 PM

That is unlikely for anyone playing 1B or corner OF in the next week or two (or until Votto and/or Schebler return).

Herrera, Dixon, Ervin, Williams, Tucker, and Aquino are all going to be swapped in and out.

Ron Madden
08-18-2018, 05:01 PM
That is unlikely for anyone playing 1B or corner OF in the next week or two (or until Votto and/or Schebler return).

You're probably right but I wouldn't bet against it.
LOL

Kc61
08-18-2018, 05:31 PM
The question is why Ervin is playing primarily against LHP.

He’s on the short side of a platoon, which doesn’t bring many ABs.

It’s not a good sign that LH bats Mason W and Turner are playing instead against RHP.

Would expect Ervin might have priority even against RHP as he seems to have more upside potential. Maybe Reds don’t see it that way.

texasdave
08-18-2018, 07:44 PM
What if Matt Harvey was perfect, and nobody cared?

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Pitching duel so far
Bum with 28 pitches thru 3
Harvey with clean 3 innings and 32 pitches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Good to see you around

Big Klu
08-18-2018, 07:51 PM

Not tonight.

E5

texasdave
08-18-2018, 07:54 PM
E5ugenio Suarez has ended Harvey's quest for the elusive Holy Grail of pitching. The next batter walks. So, Suarez is off the hook.

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Peraza! :jump:

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Peraza bomb
I like this version of him

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Another offensive blackout in Cincinnati. Peraza's HR could be the only run of the game. Redszone members missing in action.

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 08:11 PM
Broken bat flare double for Dixon, better to be lucky than good! 3-0 Redlegs.

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Broken bat flare double for Dixon, better to be lucky than good! 3-0 Redlegs.

As soon as I commented on the lack of offense, the Reds come through.

Big Klu
08-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Another offensive blackout in Cincinnati. Peraza's HR could be the only run of the game. Redszone members missing in action.

https://resizing.flixster.com/a9e72-BpNGAxqh2J5PR6Xw4vZjU=/206x305/v1.bTsxMTI5MTUzMDtqOzE3ODYwOzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

'69
08-18-2018, 08:17 PM
As soon as I commented on the lack of offense, the Reds come through.

Well, between Hererra and Dixon, the odds were 85% you'd be right. Glad you weren't ;)

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Lots of Redzoners missing this Harvey effort

JaxRed
08-18-2018, 08:23 PM

I'm catching up on Roku.....

Flair4Horsemen
08-18-2018, 08:26 PM

So Peraza homers against MadBaum and you complain about the offense? Harsh.

RedlegsFanatic
08-18-2018, 08:31 PM
We may have finally found our lead off hitter.
Peraza being top 5 in the NL in hits this late into the season is something I never dreamed would happen.
Although I have no idea why Riggleman keeps running Billy out there in the 1 spot.
When Peraza learns how to take a walk we will really have something.

Why does Bumgarner have to be such an a**hole?
I'm not sure who is worse...him or Bryce Harper.

RedlegsFanatic
08-18-2018, 08:33 PM
I'm catching up on Roku.....

How do you get the Reds game on Roku?
FoxSports Go?

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Peraza being top 5 in the NL in hits this late into the season is something I never dreamed would happen.
Although I have no idea why Riggleman keeps running Billy out there in the 1 spot.

Harper, easily

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 08:35 PM
I watch mlb at bat on it

08-18-2018, 08:36 PM
I truly feel sorry for Buster Posey and how far his game has declined since he...

:lol::laugh::lol::laugh:

Sorry, couldn’t say it with a straight face.

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 08:37 PM
So Peraza homers against MadBaum and you complain about the offense? Harsh.

I just said it to get the bats going.....reverse psychology. :laugh:

RedlegsFanatic
08-18-2018, 08:39 PM
I have Extra Innings so I have MLB.tv on the Roku, but Reds games are blacked out.
And for whatever reason my iPhone thinks I am closer to Cleveland than Cincinnati because when I download FoxSportsGo it gives me Indians games instead of Reds games.
Does FoxSportsGo have an app on Roku?

'69
08-18-2018, 08:39 PM

I'm OK with it, Hamilton with .360 OBP the last seven games before tonight. Peraza might be the story of the season.

davereds24
08-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Anyone notice on that play Scooter went 2nd to home Hatcher had no idea where the ball was?

RedlegsFanatic
08-18-2018, 08:41 PM
I watch mlb at bat on it

I have the At Bat App also but it blacks out Reds games too.

JustaFan
08-18-2018, 08:42 PM
two more harvey good innings and he will soon be elsewhere

Tadasimha
08-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Cancel the press conference - just get that shutout, Mattman!

Kc61
08-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Nice game by Harvey.

Can certainly understand why so many don’t want sign him.

Big Klu
08-18-2018, 08:44 PM
Anyone notice on that play Scooter went 2nd to home Hatcher had no idea where the ball was?

That's funny. I noticed Billy Hatcher pointing to the ball to let Scooter know where it was.

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 08:45 PM

I meant mlbtv

Right

I’m blacked out of Reds games on it too and I’m near South Bend indiana!

RiverRat13
08-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Nice game by Harvey.

Need to cut him to give Robert Stephenson more chances to walk people.

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Nice game by Harvey.

Surely he’s just dying to reup with this team where his several innings of no hit performance goes almost completely unnoticed.

'69
08-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Do you have your location blocked from the app? Works a treat. Still couldn't get the Cleveland series.

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 08:50 PM
I don’t
Can get Fox sports off of Dish so I can stream it or watch it on the dish
The mlb app for other games

Big Klu
08-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Dilson! Blinky lights!

Red Raindog
08-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Blinky lights for Dilson

kaldaniels
08-18-2018, 08:53 PM
It’s not “Bum-GarD-ner” Jim Day.

'69
08-18-2018, 08:55 PM
Dilly Dilly!!

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 08:55 PM
1 hit per game is Dixon's quota.

Tadasimha
08-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Dilly Dilly!!

Free Dilly Bars at DQ for every Dilson homer - its a deal, son!

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 08:57 PM
Harvey smoked that one. Too bad it was caught.

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Billy, hit it on the ground

Big Klu
08-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Harvey smoked that one. Too bad it was caught.

Billy made solid contact, too. Bumgarner isn't fooling anyone.

Kc61
08-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Surely he’s just dying to reup with this team where his several innings of no hit performance goes almost completely unnoticed.

That’s up to Matt, you know.

But from the Reds’ perspective, they are absolutely desperate for starting pitching. They have a former TOR in house, and he’s regaining his prowess.

Seems to me you try and extend him. And you might want to avoid waiting until January just because, you know, some leftover free agents might be available then too.

JaxRed
08-18-2018, 09:06 PM
How do you get the Reds game on Roku?
FoxSports Go?

On MLB-TV. I'm in Florida so I'm out of market.

Big Klu
08-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Herrera, Dixon, Ervin, Williams, Tucker, and Aquino are all going to be swapped in and out.

You're probably right but I wouldn't bet against it.
LOL

Williams replaces Herrera as a straight defensive substitution. (An expected move, especially with the Reds having a lead in the late innings.)

'69
08-18-2018, 09:07 PM
Nice standing O for Harvey

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 09:09 PM
That’s up to Matt, you know.

But from the Reds’ perspective, they are absolutely desperate for starting pitching. They have a former TOR in house, and he’s regaining his prowess.

Seems to me you try and extend him. And you might want to avoid waiting until January just because, you know, some leftover free agents might be available then too.
Seems to me like anybody who follows baseball outside of the Reds knows Matt Harvey loves the bright lights and is represented by Scott Boras to boot. It’s on you to explain to me why in your scenario he’s eschewing free agency entirely, and any “he seems to like it here” answers get a big fart noise.

'69
08-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Seems to me like anybody who follows baseball outside of the Reds knows Matt Harvey loves the bright lights and is represented by Scott Boras to boot. It’s on you to explain to me why in your scenario he’s eschewing free agency entirely, and any “he seems to like it here” answers get a big fart noise.

Since Harvey has been a Red, when was the last article about Harvey liking the bright lights? If I recall correctly, he has said (sure, player-speak) that he likes it here.

The other stuff doesn't matter, you make an effort to sign him.

'69
08-18-2018, 09:25 PM
The Giants are wearing a groove in the dirt from the worm burners they are hitting on the right side.

Kc61
08-18-2018, 09:27 PM

Funny to me how some Reds fans seem to live in dread of Scott Boras or a client like Harvey. No reason. Worst thing Harvey can say is no. He and Boras are practical.

Reds should pursue Matt Harvey, period.

I’ve explained ad nauseum why he might sign. Business reasons. You mischaracterize the argument repeatedly.

But the bottom line is that the worst thing he can say is no. Try to extend him.

JaxRed
08-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Since Harvey has been a Red, when was the last article about Harvey liking the bright lights? If I recall correctly, he has said (sure, player-speak) that he likes it here.

The other stuff doesn't matter, you make an effort to sign him.

You only make an effort if it's a good deal. I would have no problem with a 1 year, 10 million (tops) prove it deal. Would give Harvey a chance to hit FA next year, would give Reds more protection in a qualifying offer scenario.

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Good thing it's a 7 run lead. Lorenzen walks a lot of hitters (22 in 48 innings)

Mutaman
08-18-2018, 09:36 PM
They should make an effort to sign Bryce Harper too. Worst he can do is say no.

'69
08-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Good thing it's a 7 run lead. Lorenzen walks a lot of hitters (22 in 48 innings)

Woah. Seems more a thrower, not his biggest fan.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the spirit.

Kc61
08-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Reds can’t afford Bryce Harper. They can afford Matt Harvey.

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Funny to me how some Reds fans seem to live in dread of Scott Boras or a player from a big market. No reason. Worst thing Harvey can say is no.

Reds should pursue Matt Harvey, period.

I’ve explained ad nauseum why he might sign. Business reasons. You mischaracterize the argument repeatedly.

But the bottom line is that the worst thing he can say is no. Try to extend him.
I don't live in dread of Scott Boras, I personally support him in getting his clients the best possible deal. And I think a lot of times the stuff about guys from big markets is overblown. With Harvey, it is underblown if anything. He goes to B movie premieres, he goes to fashion shows, he goes on dates in public with super models that he knows will get TMZ coverage, and he went on every late night talk show there was. He's a celebrity, and he likes it. Maybe there's a slight chance he's ready to settle down in the Kentucky suburbs. But he's going to see what is out there in November, there's next to no reason why he or his representatives would try and hammer out a deal with the Cincinnati Reds before then. And for all we know the Reds did broach the subject post-deadline. Scooter immediately blabbed about his talks but Harvey has refused to publicly comment on any of that stuff.

Mutaman
08-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Reds can’t afford Bryce Harper. They can afford Matt Harvey.

Maybe Bryce really likes Cincinnati.

JaxRed
08-18-2018, 09:42 PM

they should. 5 year , 12 million per. When he says no, you move on.

50YrRedsFan
08-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Cardinals are leading Milwaukee late in their game. If they win, they will move into 2nd place in the division and be 1/2 game back for the wild card. They have been on a run since Matheny was fired. Was he that bad?

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 09:43 PM
They have been on a run since Matheny was fired. Was he that bad?
Yeah.

'69
08-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Cardinals are leading Milwaukee late in their game. If they win, they will move into 2nd place in the division and be 1/2 game back for the wild card. They have been on a run since Matheny was fired. Was he that bad?

The deals at the deadline might have something to do with it, revamped their bullpen.

JaxRed
08-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Almost caught up. This home ump has been very good. Anyone else see Wilfred Brimley behind home plate? 2nd row behind the sub...

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 09:48 PM
We're still good! :beerme:

Kc61
08-18-2018, 09:50 PM
I don't live in dread of Scott Boras, I personally support him in getting his clients the best possible deal. And I think a lot of times the stuff about guys from big markets is overblown. With Harvey, it is underblown if anything. He goes to B movie premieres, he goes to fashion shows, he goes on dates in public with super models that he knows will get TMZ coverage, and he went on every late night talk show there was. He's a celebrity, and he likes it. Maybe there's a slight chance he's ready to settle down in the Kentucky suburbs. But he's going to see what is out there in November, there's next to no reason why he or his representatives would try and hammer out a deal with the Cincinnati Reds before then. And for all we know the Reds did broach the subject post-deadline. Scooter immediately blabbed about his talks but Harvey has refused to publicly comment on any of that stuff.

Unless you actually know Matt Harvey - presumably you don’t - you have no idea what he wants. Nor do I.

But his career is at issue.

If he feels an extra year in the Cincy environment will help his career, he’ll probably be interested. If not, he probably won’t.

My guess is he’s intelligent snf knows that fashion shows and his public persona are not the pertinent issue here. Restoring his pitching value is the issue.

The biggest impediment for the Reds is that they aren’t set with a manager and coaching staff for next year. I doubt he’d sign before that information. But the Reds should pursue him.

Ironman92
08-18-2018, 09:51 PM
That was fun.

Tom Servo
08-18-2018, 09:55 PM
But this won’t be about fashion shows. His career is at issue.
I agree with that. And I think he views Cincinnati as rehab of sorts. He had a thing he liked a lot in New York but bad press and bad performance made it come to an end. So now he's on his best behavior and being a model citizen, and it's so that he can get another crack at that life that he loved. Not one of toiling away on a loser team in one of the sports smallest markets, one where he lives in a city with a roaring nightlife and ample super models and where he goes out every 5th day to a huge crowd and pitches under bright lights.

But this is all just a distraction from the pertinent question of what upside there is not even testing the free agency market.

Kc61
08-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Upside to Harvey is Reds don’t use his salary slot on somebody else. He avoids the unknown for a short deal.

Let’s say Reds re-sign Danny Darwin and an acceptable manager.
Let’s say Boras’ sense is there’s no huge LTC this year.
Let’s say Reds make Harvey a generous (for Reds) one year offer.

I could see a deal very early this winter. Since the Reds’ coaching staff is unknown it likely won’t come earlier. Assuming Matt feels Darwin and Reds are helping him progress.

08-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Maybe Bryce really likes Cincinnati.

He grew up a Reds and Pete Rose fan.