PDA

View Full Version : 7-17-2019 Reds at Cubs DAY GAME

Pages : [1] 2

cumberlandreds
07-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Lets' win this series!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_rxyvJXUAAlwXg?format=jpg&name=900x900

- - - Updated - - -

Game time is 2:20 pm. This is the free game of the day on MLBTV.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Ervin is 17 for his last 29....I mean are all of those off of LH pitching?

He’s hitting .292 off of righties, not with good OPS but man he needs to be in the IMO while he’s so hot at the plate.

Rolando
07-17-2019, 10:54 AM

He’s hitting .292 off of righties, not with good OPS but man he needs to be in the IMO while he’s so hot at the plate.

It's definitely mind-boggling especially what all Dietrich and do right now is get hit by a pitch. And I like Dietrich so I'm not knocking him as a player.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 11:02 AM
It's definitely mind-boggling especially what all Dietrich and do right now is get hit by a pitch. And I like Dietrich so I'm not knocking him as a player.

I like Dietrich too but he has more HBP than singles lol

Again, I don’t mind anyone in there starting but I do wish Ervin was in there, for really anyone.

If Votto, Puig or Suarez got a “day off”....and Ervin was in there, would that be a big deal to anyone ?

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 11:03 AM
One thing I do hope is that Farmer has a game free of violent fouls off his face mask

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Ervin is 17 for his last 29

Dietrich is 17 for his last 94

Rolando
07-17-2019, 11:08 AM
I like Dietrich too but he has more HBP than singles lol

Again, I don’t mind anyone in there starting but I do wish Ervin was in there, for really anyone.

If Votto, Puig or Suarez got a “day off”....and Ervin was in there, would that be a big deal to anyone ?

I hope I didn't mess up my last Point I was agree with you on Irvin you should be playing right now. I definitely would have given Votto a day off.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 11:22 AM
I hope I didn't mess up my last Point I was agree with you on Irvin you should be playing right now. I definitely would have given Votto a day off.

No, not at all man

Go Reds

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 12:59 PM
All of our lefties are struggling. I'd have probably had Ervin in LF. But if you're going to play a lefty in LF, why Dietrich and not Winker?

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 01:04 PM
All of our lefties are struggling. I'd have probably had Ervin in LF. But if you're going to play a lefty in LF, why Dietrich and not Winker?

That’s a question as well and I feel the answer would be something like “we gotta keep getting guys like Winker and Dietrich regular at bats somehow”.....with no thought of Ervin

Fil3232
07-17-2019, 01:15 PM
Good luck to Sonny today. He may have to go all 9 if he wants a win, the bullpen is in sorry shape.

Rolando
07-17-2019, 01:26 PM
No, not at all man

Go Reds

Go Reds indeed! Let's take the series!

cumberlandreds
07-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Update to the lineup per multiple tweets: Jaun Graterol is now starting at catcher and batting in Farmer's slot.

cumberlandreds
07-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Yu Darvish is starting for the Cubs today. Since coming to the Cubs Darvish has not recorded a win in Wrigley. Let's hope that trend continues.

Ron Madden
07-17-2019, 01:51 PM
That’s a question as well and I feel the answer would be something like “we gotta keep getting guys like Winker and Dietrich regular at bats somehow”.....with no thought of Ervin

Ya never know, they might be showcasing Dietrich to a trade partner.

gagliano
07-17-2019, 01:54 PM

they'll never listen. they'll put him in once we're down 7-0

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 01:54 PM
Update to the lineup per multiple tweets: Jaun Graterol is now starting at catcher and batting in Farmer's slot.

Good. I don’t care how much he costs us either.

gagliano
07-17-2019, 01:56 PM

no winker! no!

Strikes Out Looking
07-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Ervin is 17 for his last 29

Dietrich is 17 for his last 94

Actual stats are so overrated - don't you realize batting average doesn't matter anymore...

kaldaniels
07-17-2019, 02:16 PM
I still can’t get over the awful lighting and makeup on the Reds studio team. Public access level.

CaiGuy
07-17-2019, 02:18 PM
I am happy that he is hitting well lately, but Ervin isn't very good...really don't get the call to give him a lot of playing time.

Tom Servo
07-17-2019, 02:22 PM
I am happy that he is hitting we lately, but Ervin isn't very good...really don't get the call to give him a lot of playing time.
Baseball fans have never met a small sample size they didn't love. The confusing part to me about the big outcry for giving Ervin a lot of playing time is that Ervin DID get a lot of playing time last year down the stretch, and didn't do anything special. It's like a Men in Black brain wipe happened, I guess everyone was already watching Bengals preseason games by that point or something.

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 02:23 PM
they'll never listen. they'll put him in once we're down 7-0

If Sonny Gray gives up 7 today, we're all just wasting our time here anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Baseball fans have never met a small sample size they didn't love. The confusing part to me about the big outcry for giving Ervin a lot of playing time is that Ervin DID get a lot of playing time last year down the stretch, and didn't do anything special. It's like a Men in Black brain wipe happened, I guess everyone was already watching Bengals preseason games by that point or something.

Thing about life, you can keep working at your craft and get better.

bigfoot52
07-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Guess the Reds are going to look at third strikes today.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Given Bell’s style, Ervin wasn’t even next in line to play.

Dietrich is in LF. If not, it would be Winker. Ervin isn’t even on the screen against this pitcher.

Big Klu
07-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Going with the red alternates on the road again today. I don't mind it, as long as they don't overdo it. (And so far, they haven't.)

The Brewers, Pirates, Rockies, and Indians are examples of teams that wear their alternates entirely too often on the road. I'm not sure they even have gray jerseys anymore.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Reds are 15-28 in day games. There’s no good reason for it, so the law of averages points to things evening out, beginning with this win today.

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 02:32 PM
I prefer these to the grays.

Alabama
07-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Reds are 15-28 in day games. There’s no good reason for it, so the law of averages points to things evening out, beginning with this win today.

Reason is they just aren’t a good baseball team. It’s not rocket science.

adkindo
07-17-2019, 02:35 PM
I am happy that he is hitting well lately, but Ervin isn't very good...really don't get the call to give him a lot of playing time.

personally, I consider the guy that is hitting well better than the guy that is not on any given day. You say he is not very good...ok, maybe you are correct, but why not squeeze as much as you can get out of his hot streak if it is going to be short lived? Most of the other guys have had all year without a sniff of a hot streak.

- - - Updated - - -

I recall Graterol from spring training....didn't he hit surprisingly well in Arizona this year?

gagliano
07-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Actual stats are so overrated - don't you realize batting average doesn't matter anymore...

it rocks. batting avg, hr, rbi. that's all you need to know about a hitter. for a pitcher, w/l and era. thank you.

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Going with the red alternates on the road again today. I don't mind it, as long as they don't overdo it. (And so far, they haven't.)

The Brewers, Pirates, Rockies, and Indians are examples of teams that wear their alternates entirely too often on the road. I'm not sure they even have gray jerseys anymore.

Red jersey and gray pants are a great look IMO.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Reason is they just aren’t a good baseball team. It’s not rocket science.

Then why are they 28-21 in night games?

Big Klu
07-17-2019, 02:39 PM
I prefer these to the grays.

I think the grays would look better if they got rid of the road cap (red w/black bill) and just wore the all-red cap both home and away.

Or if they really want a "road" cap, go with something like this (inspired by the caps from the late 50's and early 60's):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41iPTe%2BAIuL._SX466_.jpg

CaiGuy
Thing about life, you can keep working at your craft and get better.

I mean...I guess, but you could say the same thing about the guys ahead of him on the depth chart, Winker and Dietrich. Those guys are better than him to start with, so I would bank on them being better moving forward as well.

I know that guys can improve and even exceed expectations, but I hate the fact that that is used as an argument every time when you have literally thousands of AB's of data that show that a guy isn't destined to be good.

adkindo

half the lineup are vampires?

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 02:41 PM
So is Alabama just a bad poster, or is he in a slump?

Kc61
half the lineup are vampires?

No, it’s special lighting where Reds guys are positioned.

BluegrassRedleg
I wish the FSO guys would mention Darvish hasn't won in his own ballpark a few more times. Because, of course, it cannot happen today.

Alabama
07-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Are you saying this is a good team?

CaiGuy
personally, I consider the guy that is hitting well better than the guy that is not on any given day. You say he is not very good...ok, maybe you are correct, but why not squeeze as much as you can get out of his hot streak if it is going to be short lived? Most of the other guys have had all year without a sniff of a hot streak.

Because with that line of thinking, you have to keep playing the guy after he cools off to find out if the hot streak is over. You don't get to know in advance how long it will last or how good he will be for how long.

I would rather play the guys who are likely to play the best starting today and moving forward. And to figure out who those guys are you need to look at all the information you have, not just the last couple of weeks.

BluegrassRedleg
I mean...I guess, but you could say the same thing about the guys ahead of him on the depth chart, Winker and Dietrich. Those guys are better than him to start with, so I would bank on them being better moving forward as well.

I know that guys can improve and even exceed expectations, but I hate the fact that that is used as an argument every time when you have literally thousands of AB's of data that show that a guy isn't destined to be good.

It applies to anyone you choose. That's the beauty of it. We don't have to be slaves to our past (and sample sizes). :)

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Are you saying this is a good team?

I’m saying it’s the top of the second, two outs, Darvish off to a hot start, but Reds only back one run.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:45 PM
For anybody watching or following the game, DD vindicates the decision to play him today by getting his usual - HBP.

malcontent
07-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Graterol with a 0.501 career OPS. Ouch.

And he gets the 8-hole when Casali and Farmer don't. LOL.

Tom Servo
it rocks. batting avg, hr, rbi. that's all you need to know about a hitter. for a pitcher, w/l and era. thank you.
https://media.giphy.com/media/6OpusTwW1csaQ/giphy.gif

adkindo
Because with that line of thinking, you have to keep playing the guy after he cools off to find out if the hot streak is over. You don't get to know in advance how long it will last or how good he will be for how long.

I would rather play the guys who are likely to play the best starting today and moving forward. And to figure out who those guys are you need to look at all the information you have, not just the last couple of weeks.

a couple 0 for 4's would be a pretty good sign to me the streak has cooled....you know, a typical Winker game.

- - - Updated - - -

For anybody watching or following the game, DD vindicates the decision to play him today by getting his usual - HBP.

wasn't that Scooter?

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:47 PM
1-0 Cubs, mid-second inning.

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Graterol with a 0.501 career OPS. Ouch.

If he was playing against us, I'd be scared to death right now. That's 2018 Tony Wolters stuff.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:48 PM
a couple 0 for 4's would be a pretty good sign to me the streak has cooled....you know, a typical Winker game.

- - - Updated - - -

wasn't that Scooter?

Oops. Sorry, when I see an HBP I just assume it’s Dietrich. Yes, Scooter. That’s all he needs is to get hit by some pitched balls, LOL.

Big Klu
07-17-2019, 02:49 PM

That was his tag-team partner, Scooter.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Did the Reds make a forty man roster move for Graterol?

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 02:50 PM

That was his identical twin Gennett.

Big Klu
07-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Did the Reds make a forty man roster move for Graterol?

Evidently not. Were either of the Nick's (Travieso or Howard) on the 40-man roster before they were released?

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 02:55 PM
That was his tag-team partner, Scooter.

What would DD and SG's tag-team name be?

adkindo
07-17-2019, 02:57 PM
I can live with a few solo HR's.....one of the most exciting and least damaging play in baseball

Kc61

True Grit.

Tracy Jones

Obviously the Midnight Rockers

JaxRed
Russell goes deep. I think it was caught by Ferris Buehler. That may already be too much to overcome. I was hoping for Gray shutout.

TheBigLebowski
07-17-2019, 02:58 PM
I can live with a few solo HR's.....one of the most exciting and least damaging play in baseball

A solo HR isn't damaging?

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 02:58 PM

I’m not saying he deserves even 50 starts this year...I’m saying baseball is hard and right now he’s hot, ride him while he is. Is that crazy?

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Obviously the Midnight Rockers

Because, you know, they have a bad record in day games. :p

Big Klu
07-17-2019, 02:59 PM
True Grit.

I was thinking The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but I like yours better.

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 03:00 PM
I’m not saying he deserves even 50 starts this year...I’m saying baseball is hard and right now he’s hot, ride him while he is. Is that crazy?

No, you're absolutely right.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:01 PM

Like Scooter?

Tom Servo
07-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Didn't say it was crazy, just seems like much ado about nothing in the long run.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Huh? He struck out looking.

Scooter got hit

Big Klu
07-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Jim and Chris were wondering who Graterol's backup might be, if Casali and Farmer are both unavailable.

I think it would be Dietrich.

Tracy Jones
Because, you know, they have a bad record in day games. :p

Lol exactly!

Or they are just guys I could easily see rocking mullets and zebra spandex

Ironman92
Oops. Sorry, when I see an HBP I just assume it’s Dietrich. Yes, Scooter. That’s all he needs is to get hit by some pitched balls, LOL.

I slowed it down twice and saw no sign of a HBP

adkindo
07-17-2019, 03:04 PM

Storm....Thunder Dietrich and Lightning Gennett

Tom Servo
07-17-2019, 03:06 PM
btw that HR by Russell was his 6th of this season, half of which have come against the Reds.

adkindo
07-17-2019, 03:07 PM
A solo HR isn't damaging?

not as much as a 2 Run HR, 3 Run HR or a Grand Slam....in all seriousness, it often seems like they are not, and often happen randomly as opposed to innings where guys are getting doubles and driving in runs.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 03:07 PM
12 consecutive scoreless innings for the Red team.

Chip R
07-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Jim and Chris were wondering who Graterol's backup might be, if Casali and Farmer are both unavailable.

I think it would be Dietrich.

What specifically is wrong with Casali? I haven't heard anything about it here or anywhere else. I know he got nailed a few times on Monday and he was out last night but is it his shoulder, head or what?

Tom Servo
07-17-2019, 03:10 PM
12 consecutive scoreless innings for the Red team.
is that bad

What specifically is wrong with Casali? I haven't heard anything about it here or anywhere else. I know he got nailed a few times on Monday and he was out last night but is it his shoulder, head or what?
knee inflammation

BluegrassRedleg

I think they said knee.

Big Klu

Jim Day said something about Casali's knee bothering him. It's why Farmer pinch-hit for him a couple of nights ago.

Alabama
not as much as a 2 Run HR, 3 Run HR or a Grand Slam....in all seriousness, it often seems like they are not, and often happen randomly as opposed to innings where guys are getting doubles and driving in runs.

The one last night was pretty damning. With this offense, they all are

Ironman92
Didn't say it was crazy, just seems like much ado about nothing in the long run.

I’m just posting stuff in today’s game thread.

I’m the biggest Puig fan on here and he’s getting heralded since June 14th or whatever but the last few games he’s showing signs of his swing not being as quick/short and his front foot timing isn’t quite in sync

Right now....game on the line and need a big hit

1. Ervin
2. Farmer off bench
3. Senzel
4. Suarez
5. Puig

Just my thoughts

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 03:12 PM
If you're a righty and throw anything other then a breaking ball to Nick Senzel you should be fined. He simply cant hit them. Wonder how he fared against them in the minors? Obviously they are better up here but it's kind of alarming

malcontent
07-17-2019, 03:12 PM
If they lose today, I'd say it's time to be looking to sell.

Williams saying the Reds would be buyers was always such a hoot.

Chip R
07-17-2019, 03:15 PM
knee inflammation

I think they said knee.

Jim Day said something about Casali's knee bothering him. It's why Farmer pinch-hit for him a couple of nights ago.

Thanks, guys. :) I thought it may have been his shoulder from the ball that hit him on Monday. Day initially thought he got hit in the cup.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:19 PM
Not many good swings so far. Darvish has them guessing

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:20 PM
His hanging 87 mph curve often up in zone for a strike but it’s freezing everyone

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Sucks that Darvish is starting to figure it out. He looks great so far today.

TheBigLebowski
07-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Yes, if they lose ground in this series, it's time to admit defeat.

Mutaman
07-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Wish they would sell Williams. And some of his relatives.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:25 PM
I don’t see the outcome being good but this is one hell of an at bat

Tuff Nut
07-17-2019, 03:26 PM

All once-struggling pitchers look good against the Reds.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:27 PM
All once-struggling pitchers look good against the Reds.

I think this is different. He’s hitting 98mph and rarely missing in the hitting zone. This is the best I’ve seen him in years

JCM11
07-17-2019, 03:29 PM

It's funny how opposing pitchers start to figure it out against the Reds offense.

Ironman92
Puig seems to really be thinking at the plate...not too much but in a good way. He seems to be evaluating after each swing and pitch. He’s not licked in physically with it but seems very good mentally up there.

Chip R
btw that HR by Russell was his 6th of this season, half of which have come against the Reds.

Russell hits the reds like they're his wife.

TheBigLebowski
07-17-2019, 03:30 PM
It's funny how opposing pitchers start to figure it out against the Reds offense.

Never fails. Or seldom.

adkindo
07-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Darvish does not have a no hitter going in Ervin was playing....:deadhorse:

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:32 PM

We’ve moved on. He can ground out to 3rd in the 8th inning

Rolando
07-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Lol

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Ok Scooter, get us going

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Uh oh...hope not hurt

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Uh oh...hope not hurt

Hmmmm do we? If he took 10 days off I'd be ok with it.

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Getting hit by a pitch is seemingly the only thing this crew can do the last 15 innings.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:40 PM
Dietrich limping, put Winker, Peraza or Ervin in

adkindo
Dietrich should steal 2nd

Jomama
The Reds are currently 26th in the majors in runs scored for the year, ahead of only Baltimore, the White Sox, Miami, and Detroit.

adkindo
07-17-2019, 03:41 PM
finally....Ervin time!

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Hmmmm do we? If he took 10 days off I'd be ok with it.

Yes, I definitely hope he is not hurt

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Ervin already on base. We told you !!

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 03:43 PM
That palm is gonna hurt tomorrow.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Ervin isn’t fast but with 2 outs....see if you can steal

adkindo
07-17-2019, 03:44 PM
That palm is gonna hurt tomorrow.

yeah, but he is the hero of the bleachers for the next 5 minutes

BluegrassRedleg
Hahahahahahaha. Of course, Graterol.

ochoa30
Yes, I definitely hope he is not hurt

Yeah but honestly could Van Meter probably not give you what he has the last 30+ days? He would probably be considerably better actually

Ironman92
Congrats on your first Reds hit

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Yeah but honestly could Van Meter probably not give you what he has the last 30+ days? He would probably be considerably better actually

I don’t disagree but I refuse to act like I’m ok with a Reds player getting hurt in any way

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 03:46 PM
I don’t disagree but I refuse to act like I’m ok with a Reds player getting hurt in any way

Not ok with it. Just saying we have a capable replacement IMO

mhs95_06
07-17-2019, 03:49 PM

How much different and for better or worse are their offensive runs scored and ERA in day vs. night games?

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 03:51 PM
Not ok with it. Just saying we have a capable replacement IMO

I know we do but like Farmer getting smoked twice last night and having to call up a guy that can’t hit in the minors, I don’t care. If he goes 0-3 with 3 double plays and several passed balls costing us the game...I don’t care this one game. I want Farmer ok because he’s a good guy sacrificing himself for the team ......Dietrich, while cold and potentially not going to produce much the rest of the year...He’s a Red and he’s been great on this team for what most of us expected. I’m just showing what I feel is the necessary compassion on a forum that sometimes feels like robotic gm’s waiting to make their next move.

CrackerJack
07-17-2019, 03:56 PM
I see 0 runs in the 5th against a guy with a 4.72 ERA, ugh, cmon already with this lineup.

adkindo
07-17-2019, 03:57 PM
gotta get Ervin to the plate....get this offense going

Rolando
07-17-2019, 03:58 PM
we're going to get some runs this inning let's go!

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Gray's pitched a pretty nice game.

JCM11
07-17-2019, 04:00 PM
Rocket shot double to get the inning started.

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Was hoping he could get 3

Ironman92
Knock him in Joey

ochoa30
Very nice swing on the hanger by Darvish. Keep it going Joey!

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 04:02 PM
I see 0 runs in the 5th against a guy with a 4.72 ERA, ugh, cmon already with this lineup.

On the heels on 9 empty frames against a cast of slapnuts yesterday.

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Good AB needed by Geno

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Terrible 1st swing

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 04:04 PM
They just aren’t picking up Darvish

adkindo
07-17-2019, 04:05 PM
why did Senzel run?

BluegrassRedleg
Good God.

Ironman92
Great game here...bleh

C’mon Stupid, do something big

JCM11
Senzel should've stayed in the throwing lane.

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Man, that just sucks. Hit it anywhere else and it's a run or any softer for that matter

Ironman92
why did Senzel run?

Replay shows he hesitated too. Ugh

bigfoot52
Same thing happened last night. Plate blocked without the ball. What happened to that rule?

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Desperate. Had he broke immediately maybe

adkindo
07-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Same thing happened last night. Plate blocked without the ball. What happened to that rule?

I just think on this one he was out by so much, it would not really be considered blocking the plate

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 04:08 PM
98 on the corner

Geesh

Ironman92
07-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I just cussed

JCM11
Dang Puig was just ahead of that hanger.

6 shutout innings for Cy Darvish.

Kc61
How much different and for better or worse are their offensive runs scored and ERA in day vs. night games?

Just looked quickly. Difference seems to be in the pitching. Team ERA is 3.22 at night - best in NL. 4.68 in day games. Slightly more runs scored per game at night.

ochoa30
Replay shows he hesitated too. Ugh

Would not have mattered. Ball was smoked right at Bote. Just bad luck really.

BluegrassRedleg
That was a HR pitch. Out in front. Missed his chance.

Jomama
07-17-2019, 04:10 PM
why did Senzel run?

Cubs were playing back. You have to run on contact and hope it isn't hit really hard right at someone (which, unfortunately, it was). I don't mind being aggressive there.

BluegrassRedleg
When they said Yu had never won at Wrigley, and it was a day game for the Reds, this was basically over.

Ironman92
Swing isn’t as short and quick as it was

TheBigLebowski
07-17-2019, 04:11 PM
I can't watch, but that doesn't seem like a bad thing reading this thread.

coryfly
07-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Yeah, he needed to run inside and then probably just plow into the catcher or something. The way he ran and gave himself up I don't think they really had an argument though.

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 04:12 PM
When they said Yu had never won at Wrigley, and it was a day game for the Reds, this was basically over.

I had this same thought, lol. Dude has been very good though. 98 is no joke.

adkindo
07-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Cubs were playing back. You have to run on contact and hope it isn't hit really hard right at someone (which, unfortunately, it was). I don't mind being aggressive there.

I guess, but he had a perfect view of the hit, and I would speculate that he could get back to the bag before the 3rd baseman.

BluegrassRedleg
07-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Jesse Winker doesn't catch that. :deadhorse:

:evil:

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Cubs only have 2 hits also, but.....

coryfly
What a baby.

JCM11
Best start of the series so far by Sonny.

ochoa30

2 very long hits unfortunately. Gray has been very good again though. Offense a no show.

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Nobody bunts on Juan Graterol.....

adkindo
07-17-2019, 04:17 PM

have to wonder if a good Pitcher even would sign with the Reds in free agency with this offense

mhs95_06
07-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Just looked quickly. Difference seems to be in the pitching. Team ERA is 3.22 at night - best in NL. 4.68 in day games. Slightly more runs scored per game at night.

thanks

Jomama
07-17-2019, 04:18 PM
I guess, but he had a perfect view of the hit, and I would speculate that he could get back to the bag before the 3rd baseman.

At least it's a rookie making the mistake, and he seems to actually care. I'm tired of seeing the veteran players having brain cramps on the base paths. Here's hoping he learns from the situation. And ultimately Puig struck out anyway.

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 04:19 PM
have to wonder if a good Pitcher even would sign with the Reds in free agency with this offense

They will sign but the Reds would need to overpay. It's more the ballpark though IMO. Should help that Johnson and the pitching staff have had a nice year so far.

bigfoot52
07-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Now we get a lefty.

JCM11
07-17-2019, 04:20 PM
You can't keep Phillip Ervin off base.

adkindo
07-17-2019, 04:21 PM
can't keep Ervin off base

mhs95_06
07-17-2019, 04:21 PM
Lefty played right into Ervin's hand, but he gets a bad strike one call which is negated by the HBP!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice play by Russell.

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 04:22 PM
That might have been a time to pinch hit Peraza

bigfoot52
07-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Scooter doing his Winker impression.
However Winker would have been doubled up.

malcontent
Gotta wonder what kind of year the injury took away from Gennett. Still not the same.

Can't have nice things, case #3135.

Alabama
This team is so bad at getting that runner in from 3rd with less than 2. Need some guys with legit contact skills, that can handle the bat.

malcontent
07-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Graterol needs a Hal King moment.

TheBigLebowski
2 very long hits unfortunately. Gray has been very good again though. Offense a no show.

Someone told me earlier solo HRs do not matter.

JCM11
I think the wind knocked that one down.

Boy Iglesias is a terrible baserunner.

bigfoot52
07-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Juan gave it a ride.
Peraza: Knock somebody in!

Kc61
07-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Gotta wonder what kind of year the injury took away from Gennett. Still not the same.

Can't have nice things, case #3135.

I think he’s coming on, Scooter, that was lefty-lefty, never been his strong suit. Hopefully on the home stand.

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 04:26 PM
That might have been a time to pinch hit Peraza

Or now....

adkindo
07-17-2019, 04:26 PM
At least it's a rookie making the mistake, and he seems to actually care. I'm tired of seeing the veteran players having brain cramps on the base paths. Here's hoping he learns from the situation. And ultimately Puig struck out anyway.

like that?

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 04:27 PM
He better be safe. Like how does that even happen?

Jomama
Ugh...what was I saying about veteran players having brain cramps on the base paths?

adkindo
close....think he was safe

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 04:28 PM
That will burn Peraza's at bat too.

JCM11
Just brutal to get picked off first base by the catcher in that spot.

ochoa30
What an idiotic thing to do. Just insane.

Kc61
Iglesias called out on replay.

I think we’ll see Peraza take over at shortstop.

That way he stays in the game and leads off next inning.

Pitcher would take Iglesias batting spot which doesn’t come up for awhile.

ZakkW
07-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Has there ever been a worse base-running team than this one? They run themselves right out of so many innings and scoring opportunities

BluegrassRedleg
7/17/19 - When the buy/sell riddle was finally solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adkindo
that is bs....seems like as the season has aged, they have leaned heavily with the call on the field if it was even close...maybe trying to create some data to support their umpires

TheBigLebowski
These things are how a team like the Reds can defy Pythag. How to lose ballgames 101, by the 2019 Cincinnati Reds.

Jomama
07-17-2019, 04:30 PM
close....think he was safe

Too close to overturn, I guess.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 04:30 PM
7/17/19 - When the buy/sell riddle was finally solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Big four game home series against Cards coming up.

mhs95_06
07-17-2019, 04:31 PM
He better be safe. Like how does that even happen?

By trying to be in position to score the tying run on a lazer double off the LCF wall like Senzel got cut down on last night!

Redsfan6272
07-17-2019, 04:32 PM
Yep and the Reds manager won't get ticked at his players for any of this. Just give excuses after the game . Wish we could clone Lou Pinella

Rolando
Nope. Big four game home series against Cards coming up.
Big for the cardinals?

ochoa30
By trying to be in position to score the tying run on a lazer double off the LCF wall like Senzel got cut down on last night!

Just cant happen. There is not one valid excuse. He is the trailing runner with 2 outs in the 7th inning. You only get so many chances and he absolutely nuked that one.

JaxRed
Iglesias called out on replay.

I think we’ll see Peraza take over at shortstop.

That way he stays in the game and leads off next inning.

Pitcher would take Iglesias batting spot which doesn’t come up for awhile.

Good call.

Rolando
07-17-2019, 04:33 PM
It's still lazy baserunning

malcontent
07-17-2019, 04:33 PM
White Flag time.

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 04:34 PM
It's about to be out of reach anyways. Hernandez has nothing left for whatever reason.

Jomama
Oh boy...Hernandez. I guess Bell is waving the white flag.

JaxRed
If he doesn't get this guy he would be out of game for me.

Jomama
07-17-2019, 04:35 PM
The big question is...is there anyone warming up in the bullpen yet?

JaxRed
Don't talk to him.....pull him !!!

CaiGuy
I am a fan of Hernendez but he can't get hitters out at this point. Time for a DL stint or demotion or something.

mhs95_06
07-17-2019, 04:36 PM
At least need to have Herget warming.

Kc61
07-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Big for the cardinals?

Reds have 8 at home against Cards in next few weeks. They can catch and pass the Cards. That would be big.

Alabama
I just don’t understand how y’all can continue to support this crap with a positive attitude.

adkindo
Hernendez is finished.....this is malpractice by Bell

mamell
Yet another way to speed up baseball, have someone who really can't sing come out and sing yet another song between every inning.. How about a brass band come out and play the long version of Stars and Stripes forever between the 3rd? Jeeeez..

Jomama
Don't talk to him.....pull him !!!

That assumes there is somebody ready to come in. Bell would have had to have been ahead of the curve for once. Let's call it the Bell Curve...or the Bell Curse.

Big Klu
The big question is...is there anyone warming up in the bullpen yet?

Bowman is.

Jomama
07-17-2019, 04:38 PM
See....he just got Bowman up when they went out to talk to him. Ridiculous.

CaiGuy
07-17-2019, 04:38 PM
I just don’t understand how y’all can continue to support this crap with a positive attitude.

I don't understand why you keep following the game and posting if you hate the team so much.

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 04:39 PM

You're either a bandwagon fan or your not. The people here are loyal. Go be a Braves fan please. Not a single person here will mind.

mhs95_06
Framing error for a PB?

JaxRed
Whiff (Graterol)

Jomama
How do you miss catching that?

JCM11
07-17-2019, 04:40 PM
How do you miss catching that?

By trying to frame a strike before catching it.

Big Klu
07-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Chris won't come out and suggest that Hernandez is injured, but he said that there is definitely something not right with him.

ochoa30

Exactly. If we had robo umps dumb things like that wouldnt happen. Atleast get the strike call right though. It wasnt even borderline.

Red Raindog
Hernandez does what he's been doing -- someone should mention this to Bell

CaiGuy
You could feel that coming.

mamell
So much for the law of averages working in Hernandez's favor.. He's done.

JCM11
Hernandez is a great guy, but it's time to send him packing. Also this was a 2 run game and you have Bell going to DH yet again vs the heart of the order.

Jomama

It was more of a rhetorical question.

Reds Fanatic
Something has to be done with Hernandez. You can't think you are in a race and keep giving away games with him. ERA is now up to 6.92

ochoa30
07-17-2019, 04:43 PM
He literally threw 4 hangers in a row, lol

Redsfan6272
Im yelling go outside dang it , noooo lets put it in Heywards wheelhouse. GRRRRRRRRR

Jomama
Too late, Bell.

mhs95_06
07-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Just cant happen. There is not one valid excuse. He is the trailing runner with 2 outs in the 7th inning. You only get so many chances and he absolutely nuked that one.

Not saying it shouldn't not happen, just giving a thought process and motivation for how it could happen.

Redsfan6272
Chris won't come out and suggest that Hernandez is injured, but he said that there is definitely something not right with him.

Bell will keep throwing him out there!!!!

Jomama
Something has to be done with Hernandez. You can't think you are in a race and keep giving away games with him. ERA is now up to 6.92

The only race the Reds are in is for the basement with Pittsburgh.

ochoa30
"I'm starting to think this Hernandez guy isnt very good." - David Bell probably

Rolando
07-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Reds have 8 at home against Cards in next few weeks. They can catch and pass the Cards. That would be big.

I truly want to be optimistic but it's hard to be when you don't score and for some odd reason the manager keeps putting the worst picture alive right now in the game

JaxRed
I hate to harp on this but... I have no problem trying Hernandez. (ok maybe a little), but given his recent record you have someone warming before he even enters game. After walking 2, there was ZERO reason to be in the game.

adkindo
You're either a bandwagon fan or your not. The people here are loyal. Go be a Braves fan please. Not a single person here will mind.

I am not sure he meant "support" the team as in cheering for the Reds....assume he meant excusing the terrible job Bell has did this year and players just not getting the job done. Our offense is not hot and cold....it is either warm or in hibernation. I am beyond frustrated with many things with this team...do not think that means I should change teams after nearly 40 years.

Alabama
I don't understand why you keep following the game and posting if you hate the team so much.

I’m here because I love the Reds. Obviously wouldn’t be here if I hated them. You can be a fan and call out the incompetence of the organization. It is so bad, from the top down. I want to see them win but they just continue to do the opposite.

JaxRed
07-17-2019, 04:46 PM
They need to talk to Hernandez and come up with an 'arm strain' and give him some time off followed by stint in minors.

Rolando
"I'm starting to think this Hernandez guy isnt very good." - David Bell probably

I doubt it for some reason Bell is being stubborn with us and it's really making him look silly

Jomama
I hate to harp on this but... I have no problem trying Hernandez. (ok maybe a little), but given his recent record you have someone warming before he even enters game. After walking 2, there was ZERO reason to be in the game.

Agreed. The bullpen should have been active as soon as Hernandez got to the mound. Instead he waited until he walked two straight batters.

mhs95_06
07-17-2019, 04:47 PM
I truly want to be optimistic but it's hard to be when you don't score and for some odd reason the manager keeps putting the worst picture alive right now in the game

Thinking that maybe the picture wouldn't be reality!

Big Klu
Well, the double and the flyout to deep LF makes both runs earned. (The second run could have been questionable due to the passed ball.)

bigfoot52

If you don't like, go back to your country!

Rolando
They need to talk to Hernandez and come up with an 'arm strain' and give him some time off followed by stint in minors.

I would just cut him.
I think at this point he's old and washed-up just like Zach Duke was

malcontent
07-17-2019, 04:48 PM
I can't, Alabama. Specifically, I'd have sent Bell packing weeks ago.

JCM11
Of course Bowman comes in and makes it look easy.

adkindo
David Hernandez ERA in July....27.00....teams are batting .579 on him

Baseballdad
I think Hernandez got be injured! How could someone who was lights out in the first and have results like this!

Redsfan6272
Just sucks. Win a huge 1st game ag the Cubs, score 3 runs in the first inning yesterday and ZERO after that!!! They need to trade for a leader for next season. Is there any player out there like Greg Vaughn???

Rolando
Thinking that maybe the picture wouldn't be reality!
Well hell I can't get on anybody else I can't even make a coherent sentence lol

Alabama
I am not sure he meant "support" the team as in cheering for the Reds....assume he meant excusing the terrible job Bell has did this year and players just not getting the job done. Our offense is not hot and cold....it is either warm or in hibernation. I am beyond frustrated with many things with this team...do not think that means I should change teams after nearly 40 years.

Thank you man. I wouldn’t be on a Reds message board if I didn’t love them. Some stuff is inexcusable though and of course what we post here doesn’t matter, but someone needs to hold the decision makers accountable.