PDA

View Full Version : 8/1/19 - Reds @ Braves

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 01:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA5kwnpX4AAPrwn.jpg

cumberlandreds
08-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Aquino is in the lineup tonight. He did play in one game for the Reds last season. Also I thought VanMeter was going to get playing time at 2nd? I guess not tonight anyway.

Also note the game time, 7:20 PM. The Braves always have to be different on the game time. Goes back to the Turner days when their home games started at 7:40 pm.

I merged the two threads. Looks like Tom beat me by a few seconds.

08-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Glad to see them throwing Aquino into the fire immediately. I hope they park him in RF and see what he can do.

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 01:14 PM
Interesting

Tuff Nut
08-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Anyone know Ervin's splits, RHP vs LHP?...= thanks in advance.

Ironman92
08-01-2019, 01:41 PM

Bs righties he’s Billy Hamilton vs lefties he’s steroid Barry Bonds...he is 9 for last 22 vs righties

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Votto is not only the sole 30+ person in the lineup, he's 6 years older than the next oldest person in the lineup.

Hillsdale87
08-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Aquino is in the lineup tonight. He did play in one game for the Reds last season. Also I thought VanMeter was going to get playing time at 2nd? I guess not tonight anyway.

Facing a lefty. I'm sure Van Meter is going to play every day against righties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 02:15 PM
https://img1.southernliving.timeinc.net/sites/default/files/styles/4_3_horizontal_inbody_900x506/public/image/2016/06/main/gdad_names_gettyimages-3230429.jpg?itok=SxWEFmjr

Votto and the rest of this lineup

cumberlandreds
08-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Facing a lefty. I'm sure Van Meter is going to play every day against righties

The one thing I read lead me to believe he was going to play no matter what. I may have read too much into it. I have no problem with platooning. I think its the way to go with the vast majority of players.

woodyjoe
08-01-2019, 02:27 PM

Also note the game time, 7:20 PM. The Braves always have to be different on the game time. Goes back to the Turner days when their home games started at 7:40 pm.

I merged the two threads. Looks like Tom beat me by a few seconds.

This year against lhp.

Vanmeter - .222 .462 .333 .795
Peraza - .277 .329 .400 .729

Peraza career vs lhp - .297 .331 .404 .736

Very small sample size with Vanmeter. Average low but obp is excellent.

JCM11
08-01-2019, 02:30 PM
This year against lhp.

Vanmeter - .222 .462 .333 .795
Peraza - .277 .329 .400 .729

Peraza career vs lhp - .297 .331 .404 .736

Very small sample size with Vanmeter. Average low but obp is excellent.

VanMeter killed LHP in AAA this year to the tune of an 1.150 ops in 76 PA. I'm tired of Peraza taking ab's from better players, and I hope we move him this off season.

woodyjoe
08-01-2019, 02:38 PM
VanMeter killed LHP in AAA this year to the tune of an 1.150 ops in 76 PA. I'm tired of Peraza taking ab's from better players, and I hope we move him this off season.

I don't completely disagree. I think Vanmeter is the real deal. On the other hand Peraza would be an excellent player off the bench especially considering his versatility. He could also go back to ss if the Reds decide not to sign Iglesias, until we are able to find a reincarnated Barry Larkin. Lol.

adkindo
08-01-2019, 02:38 PM

I thought it was 7:35 during the TBS days...

Reds Fanatic
08-01-2019, 02:39 PM

This numbers versus lefties are pretty amazing so far this year

Vs LHP .533 BA, .600 OBP, 1.033 SLG 1.633 OPS
Vs RHP .255 BA, .317 OBP, .345 SLG, .662 OPS

Alabama
08-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Van Meter is gonna play everyday .....next day.....no Van Meter.

cumberlandreds
08-01-2019, 02:45 PM
I thought it was 7:35 during the TBS days...

Maybe it was? Its been a long time now. :laugh:

Chip R
08-01-2019, 02:47 PM
The one thing I read lead me to believe he was going to play no matter what. I may have read too much into it. I have no problem with platooning. I think its the way to go with the vast majority of players.

I would guess he will get 85-90% of the starts. Maybe bench him against a tough lefty and put Peraza in there or just sit him for a day to give DD a start.

stein1214
08-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Winker 7-12 the last 3 games, Puig is gone, but he still can’t get a sniff at a lefty.

woodyjoe
08-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Winker 7-12 the last 3 games, Puig is gone, but he still can’t get a sniff at a lefty.

Yeah. I would have rather seen Winker in there over Aquino.

Fil3232
08-01-2019, 03:06 PM
The fun thing about the lineup is there’s always something to complain about!

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 03:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA6EYn3XUAAiL9G.jpg

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 03:20 PM
I can't find anyone saying that JVM would play every single day, but that he'd get the bulk or the majority of starts at 2B.

But I guess some people can't wait to complain or be negative.

CaiGuy
08-01-2019, 03:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA6EYn3XUAAiL9G.jpg

Can't believe that ball hit that guy right in the face...hope he's OK.

Jomama
08-01-2019, 03:53 PM
I can't find anyone saying that JVM would play every single day, but that he'd get the bulk or the majority of starts at 2B.

But I guess some people can't wait to complain or be negative.

So you're complaining about the complainers? :)

Spanky
08-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Yeah. I would have rather seen Winker in there over Aquino.

Jesse Winker Vs LHP - .175/.267/.175 :barf:
Aristides Aquino Vs LHP(AAA) - .313/.374/.637:D

gagliano
08-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Maybe it was? Its been a long time now. :laugh:

the tbs innovation of 5 minute late start times was the beginning of the end of all we hold dear.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't believe that ball hit that guy right in the face...hope he's OK.

must have been against the pirates

woodyjoe
08-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Jesse Winker Vs LHP - .175/.267/.175 :barf:
Aristides Aquino Vs LHP(AAA) - .313/.374/.637:D

I realize Winker hasn't hit lhps very well in his career but lately he has been seeing the ball very well. I don't really have a strong argument in this situation. I think I would have rather had Winker in there over a guy who's had 1 ab in the big leagues, which was a so. I could be wrong and Aquino has the game of his life. I'm rooting for him.

Spanky
08-01-2019, 04:48 PM
I realize Winker hasn't hit lhps very well in his career but lately he has been seeing the ball very well. I don't really have a strong argument in this situation. I think I would have rather had Winker in there over a guy who's had 1 ab in the big leagues, which was a so. I could be wrong and Aquino has the game of his life. I'm rooting for him.

Just to clarify, the stat lines I posted were this year only.
I think it's refreshing to have the guy who was called up start right away instead of sit on the bench for a couple of games.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 04:55 PM
So you're complaining about the complainers? :)

Or just being accurate.

If someone's complaint is based on something inaccurate or completely made up, then yeah, I'll complain.

woodyjoe
08-01-2019, 04:57 PM
I think it's refreshing to have the guy who was called up start right away instead of sit on the bench for a couple of games.

Maybe he'll go 4 for 5, with 6 rbis and a leaping catch over the wall, to rob the Braves of a home run. I would like to see it.

Ironman92
08-01-2019, 05:04 PM

And when he goes 3-5 with 2 HR, double and 6 rbi get tomorrow off

Spanky
08-01-2019, 05:05 PM
And when he goes 3-5 with 2 HR, double and 6 rbi get tomorrow off

what? that hasn't happened before. :D

Jomama
08-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Or just being accurate.

If someone's complaint is based on something inaccurate or completely made up, then yeah, I'll complain.

Nick Krall to Lance McAlister on Wednesday night: "Josh Vanmeter is a guy who has really taken a step forward this year. We want to try and get his bat in the lineup and see what he can do on a daily basis."

https://redsminorleagues.com/2019/08/01/josh-vanmeter-to-play-every-day-for-the-reds/

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Nick Krall to Lance McAlister on Wednesday night: "Josh Vanmeter is a guy who has really taken a step forward this year. We want to try and get his bat in the lineup and see what he can do on a daily basis."

https://redsminorleagues.com/2019/08/01/josh-vanmeter-to-play-every-day-for-the-reds/

Ok. So you think that means he'll start every single game?

stein1214
08-01-2019, 05:11 PM

I pretty much always complain about the same thing.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 05:11 PM
This is because we were denied the "where is Aquino" posts due to Aquino being in the lineup. We had to reposition that pointless anger towards something else, so now it's that VanMeter, who had started 7 of the last 8 games, is sitting against a lefty.

Jomama
08-01-2019, 05:18 PM
Ok. So you think that means he'll start every single game?

Yes, he's going to break Cal Ripken Jr's. record. Of course not. But the previous commenter did probably hear this or read the article. The article is headlined: "Josh VanMeter to play EVERY DAY for the Reds". With the GM saying that he wants to see what he can do on a daily basis. Most people would find it humorous (or at least ironic) that the day after this statement and article that the guy is on the bench. That's all.

woodyjoe
08-01-2019, 05:27 PM
I don't see a big issue with complainers unless it's all someone does. Half the comments during the game in this game thread are going to be someone complaining about something. Just the way it is. Where would this country be be if Americans didn't complain about taxation without representation.

We'd be sipping tea and and participating in a soccer game thread.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Yes, he's going to break Cal Ripken Jr's. record. Of course not. But the previous commenter did probably hear this or read the article. The article is headlined: "Josh VanMeter to play EVERY DAY for the Reds". With the GM saying that he wants to see what he can do on a daily basis. Most people would find it humorous (or at least ironic) that the day after this statement and article that the guy is on the bench. That's all.

You're right. This "previous commenter" was pointing out the humor of JVM not being in the lineup instead of being his usual excessively negative, critical self.

Ironman92
08-01-2019, 05:36 PM
This is because we were denied the "where is Aquino" posts due to Aquino being in the lineup. We had to reposition that pointless anger towards something else, so now it's that VanMeter, who had started 7 of the last 8 games, is sitting against a lefty.

Off talk a touch but yeah it’s not really any deal a guy gets a start off after playing 7 of 8....but at what point does it convert? VanMeter hot as fire and looks locked in gets days off.....but say Puig who was CLEARLY off at the plate and 0-15 and struggling some for two weeks and even looking like he needed a day off.....never got one?

That’s what confuses me. I’m glad he was very good from mid May to the ASB....but why no day off ever? He literally went from the guy I trusted most to the guy I trusted the least. Why didn’t he get a day off? Why not Votto? Because he was HOF caliber for many years from 2010-2017? I want Votto in there everyday and even though sometimes he’s playing because of his past greatness.....but has he not shown any signs of needing a day off every now and then?

It’s not maddening or frustrating but it doesn’t make any sense to me. Seems weird to give the hot bats rest when others may be struggling and needing a day....but they are established stars or veteran players. This has nothing to do with past performance....we know that Suarez is going to produce and Votto is going to get on base and we know VanMeter and Ervin are what they are but sometimes guys like Steve Pearce lead a team of stars to better things.....if given the chance, regardless of age, past seasons, where drafted...hot is hot. But that seems to carry zero weight whereas past greatness, expectations and which hand that releases the ball.

All are factors of different weight but not all get looked at I feel.

Again, not mad (I’m mad I can’t watch on tv [emoji35])...I just want a win.

bigfoot52
08-01-2019, 05:48 PM
The same can be said about Phil Ervin. He's been white hot over the past month and has gotten 4 plate appearances in the last 7 days.
Finally we face a lefty tonight, so Ervin gets a start.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 05:51 PM
Off talk a touch but yeah it’s not really any deal a guy gets a start off after playing 7 of 8....but at what point does it convert? VanMeter hot as fire and looks locked in gets days off.....but say Puig who was CLEARLY off at the plate and 0-15 and struggling some for two weeks and even looking like he needed a day off.....never got one?
Puig struggled in his last few games before being traded. Prior to that, he was going fine.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Haven't seen any mention of a delay tonight, but the weather there doesn't look promising.

Jomama
08-01-2019, 05:56 PM
You're right. This "previous commenter" was pointing out the humor of JVM not being in the lineup instead of being his usual excessively negative, critical self.

I also said irony. He could have been pointing out the irony of it and yes, he may actually be mad about it. He has that right. I don't get mad any more because nothing this organization does surprises me. All I tried to do was point out an article that actually said that VanMeter would pretty much be an every day player because you said you couldn't find one. Sorry, I thought you might find the article interesting. I didn't know you would react in this manner.

Rolando
08-01-2019, 06:14 PM
I also said irony. He could have been pointing out the irony of it and yes, he may actually be mad about it. He has that right. I don't get mad any more because nothing this organization does surprises me. All I tried to do was point out an article that actually said that VanMeter would pretty much be an every day player because you said you couldn't find one. Sorry, I thought you might find the article interesting. I didn't know you would react in this manner.

They are going to platoon all over the place. I can't say I like it particularly but at least they have a plan. the only thing I disagree with is Jose Iglesias needs to have his playing time cut back a lot. He shouldn't be back next year

15fan
08-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Early in the thread there was a question about odd start times in Atlanta. Braves moved their start times back when they moved from downtown (Turner Field) to the 'burbs (SunTrust soon to be Truist - ugh). The rationale, at least publicly:

They were moving the stadium much closer to the geographic center of the fan base in the metro region - those folks would be much closer to home when the games end.

What they didn't say is that because they have nowhere near the amount of parking or any access to MARTA like they did at Turner Field, they need all of the corporate folks to leave their office megaplexes at the end of the workday to open up parking spaces in the private decks all over the area for people coming to games.

Oh, and they also put the stadium at an even worse spot for traffic (anything on the north side of town) than where they were.

mhs95_06
08-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Maybe they were showcasing him.

gagliano
08-01-2019, 06:36 PM
They are going to platoon all over the place. I can't say I like it particularly but at least they have a plan. the only thing I disagree with is Jose Iglesias needs to have his playing time cut back a lot. He shouldn't be back next year

peraza is the gary sutherland of the reds

- - - Updated - - -

Early in the thread there was a question about odd start times in Atlanta. Braves moved their start times back when they moved from downtown (Turner Field) to the 'burbs (SunTrust soon to be Truist - ugh). The rationale, at least publicly:

They were moving the stadium much closer to the geographic center of the fan base in the metro region - those folks would be much closer to home when the games end.

What they didn't say is that because they have nowhere near the amount of parking or any access to MARTA like they did at Turner Field, they need all of the corporate folks to leave their office megaplexes at the end of the workday to open up parking spaces in the private decks all over the area for people coming to games.

Oh, and they also put the stadium at an even worse spot for traffic (anything on the north side of town) than where they were.

atlanta is the capital of corporate yuppiedom

malcontent
08-01-2019, 06:48 PM
I don't hear anyone complaining that Bell isn't in the dugout. I'm concerned the suspension could prevent him from making history...

From the WSJ:

The good news for Bell is that with two months left in the season, there’s still plenty of time for him to make history. In fact, if he tries hard enough, he could even set an all-time record for ejections. Nobody has ever been ejected more than 11 times in a season, an honor held by John McGraw (1905), Dahlen (1911) and Bobby Cox (2001), the true ejection king: Cox was tossed from 158 regular-season games in his Hall-of-Fame career.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rookie-manager-who-is-really-good-at-getting-thrown-out-of-games-11564692294

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 06:52 PM
I don't hear anyone complaining that Bell isn't in the dugout. I choose to believe that's a positive sign.

I hope we see him in there with a fake mustache and glasses.

klw
08-01-2019, 06:54 PM

And it will be moot as half the guys will be double switched out by the end!

North
08-01-2019, 06:55 PM
I hope we see him in there with a fake mustache and glasses.

He will be in a Mr. Reds costume.

Ironman92
08-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Puig struggled in his last few games before being traded. Prior to that, he was going fine.

Last 15 games....15 straight starts

.207 avg
.281 ob%
.327 slug

.608 OPS.....a pop up and swinging bunt machine, with a lot of k’s

He looked really bad the last many games, not the last few.

mamell
08-01-2019, 07:09 PM

.207 avg
.281 ob%
.327 slug

He had about a month or maybe a bit longer where he was hitting the hell out of the ball then just fell right off the cliff again, but his arm in RF never fell off the cliff. His arm saved a bunch of runs from scoring. I'd love if Aquino came right out to gun down anyone trying to score on him.. Somehow though I'm sure anyone rounding 3rd will try to test him until proven otherwise. They'll all want to see if the scouting reports are right or not..

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 07:10 PM
The A's beat the Brewers today.
The Phillies beat the Giants 10-2 Scooter didn't play.
Puig is hitting cleanup tonight in Cleveland vs Houston.
Cubs @ Cardinals
Pirates are off tonight

Jomama
08-01-2019, 07:12 PM

.207 avg
.281 ob%
.327 slug

Agreed. He had looked bad for a while.

BluegrassRedleg
08-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Whoever we'd like to see rake tonight, let's get mad about whoever's not in the lineup in their spot. Seems to be working fairly well of late. :D

- - - Updated - - -

The A's beat the Brewers today.
The Phillies beat the Giants 10-2 Scooter didn't play.
Puig is hitting cleanup tonight in Cleveland vs Houston.
Cubs @ Cardinals
Pirates are off tonight

A's beat the hell out of Hader in that series.

mamell
08-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Haven't seen any mention of a delay tonight, but the weather there doesn't look promising.

It's likely just the evening popup showers (I hope) .I'm close to Columbia SC just east of Atlanta . It looked like all heck (misspelled version of Hades) was breaking lose in the sky earlier. It poured down rain for about an hour then quit soon as the sun began setting..Nice n cool and comfortable outside now..
Actually I made it rain by watering the grass earlier.. Not quite as effective as washing a car, but close. :thumbup:

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 07:20 PM
Another game without Thom?

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Nothing doing for the Reds in the top of the first

BluegrassRedleg
08-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Acuna is ridiculously good... and just scratching the surface.

RedseatHR
08-01-2019, 07:32 PM
The Braves are frightening. They’re so strong at the ML level and they still have a top ten farm system.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Yikes. 3-0 Braves.

Tom Servo
That was very predictable.

3-0 Braves on a Freeman HR

BluegrassRedleg
Non-optimal start.

JCM11
This Braves team looks pretty good lol.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 07:37 PM
I'm shocked that Freeman was only 3-10 against Disco with one HR going into that AB, I felt like I'd seen that a bunch of times before. But I guess I'm thinking of Freeman vs. Other Reds pitchers, and Disco vs. other LH hitters.

woodyjoe
08-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Winker would have caught that!

Fil3232
08-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Disco had nothing to get Freeman except the grace of God.

NebraskaRed
https://media.giphy.com/media/3orif3n6YWrpRX5ita/giphy.gif

wvreds
Disco trying to prove he’s the weakest link

BluegrassRedleg
08-01-2019, 07:39 PM
This Braves team looks pretty good lol.

Organization that knows what it's doing and ownership that gives a damn. Winning is important to places like ATL and STL.

RedForLife
08-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Disco serving up beach balls. Might be a long night. Hope not. Go Reds!

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Duvall fails to hit a home run.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Organization that knows what it's doing and ownership that gives a damn. Winning is important to places like ATL and STL.
I don't think I'd give much credit to their ownership, which is a faceless corporation that closes the string purses on them regularly. But John Coppolella with his nefarious ways gave them some pieces, and Alex Anthopoulos has done a good job fitting it all together.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Disco just wanted an early look at everyone in the lineup.

mamell
08-01-2019, 07:42 PM
hmm... my vpn just not connecting tonight so no TV for me.. Oh well...3-0 so I'm not missing much for now.. I can still listen to the Martster..

Rolando
08-01-2019, 07:43 PM
come on disco step it up

Equinox
08-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Since we are out of playoff contention might as well just sit back and enjoy watching baseball while it’s on. Next year with this pitching rotation and a couple more bats added in the off season then the reds will be good.

mamell
08-01-2019, 07:44 PM
The game ain't over yet. Maybe Aristides will be the ignitor we need..

Ron Madden
Nice hustle Ervin

NebraskaRed
Since we are out of playoff contention might as well just sit back and enjoy watching baseball while it’s on. Next year with this pitching rotation and a couple more bats added in the off season then the reds will be good.

While extremely unlikely, they are could actually still make the playoffs.

Ironman92
08-01-2019, 07:45 PM
He had about a month or maybe a bit longer where he was hitting the hell out of the ball then just fell right off the cliff again, but his arm in RF never fell off the cliff. His arm saved a bunch of runs from scoring. I'd love if Aquino came right out to gun down anyone trying to score on him.. Somehow though I'm sure anyone rounding 3rd will try to test him until proven otherwise. They'll all want to see if the scouting reports are right or not..

He was my favorite player...I never cared he played everyday. I LOVED watching him in the OF.....I just don’t follow the logic of Bell [emoji2371]

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 07:46 PM
I swear Iglesias in 90% of his ABs goes to an 0-2 count after 2 pitches.

gets an 0-2 hit here though, something brewing...

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 07:47 PM

he's really adopted a swing-at-nearly-everything approach. And it works just like that enough to justify it.

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Keep the line moving

mamell
08-01-2019, 07:49 PM
He was my favorite player...I never cared he played everyday. I LOVED watching him in the OF.....I just don’t follow the logic of Bell [emoji2371]

Bell didn't trade Puig if that's your point. That was on Williams and Krall..

RedseatHR
08-01-2019, 07:49 PM
That’s quite a stance on Aquino

Ironman92
08-01-2019, 07:50 PM

gets an 0-2 hit here though, something brewing...

Yep, always 0-2, seems like he’s trying to hit upper deck HR more than earlier

Ironman92
Bell didn't trade Puig if that's your point. That was on Williams and Krall..

lol, no not at all

[emoji3]

Tom Servo
GIDP

Bust. Get this bum outta here.

Equinox
While extremely unlikely, they are could actually still make the playoffs.

With the offense we have it just doesn’t seem possible, seven games back in August isn’t easy to come back from either. However the future is bright, just need a couple strong offensive players to add over the winter.

mamell
08-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Well, he won't be the last guy who ever hit into a double play..

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Good Job Jose

Tom Servo
Peraza! 3-1 game.

JCM11
I knew my complaining about Peraza playing would pay off.

NebraskaRed
With the offense we have it just doesn’t seem possible, seven games back in August isn’t easy to come back from either. However the future is bright, just need a couple strong offensive players to add over the winter.

I agree. It's extremely unlikely. But still possible. There was zero hope at this point the last few years, so I'll take a LITTLE hope and hold on to it.

RedseatHR
08-01-2019, 07:53 PM
That hit from Peraza played Donaldson

Rolando
08-01-2019, 07:56 PM
GIDP

Definitely not saying he's a bust I knew you were kidding. but he did look awful bad on those breaking balls LOL

mamell
08-01-2019, 07:56 PM
I agree. It's extremely unlikely. But still possible. There was zero hope at this point the last few years, so I'll take a LITTLE hope and hold on to it.

It's possible, sure, but unlikely. I still like the direction they're headed although I'm not holding out a lot of hope in Aquino. I'd love to be wrong though.. Maybe he should only play against fastball pitchers with lousy breaking stuff.. Good luck with that, eh?

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Bad pitch to a pitcher results in that.

50YrRedsFan
08-01-2019, 08:00 PM
GIDP

Fits right in with this team.

mamell
08-01-2019, 08:00 PM
I have a feeling this just ain't gonna be Disco's night..

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 08:03 PM
Alright gotta get Albies here, don't want to face Freeman with multiple runners again.

mamell
08-01-2019, 08:04 PM
I have to wonder how much energy went out the window with Puig. Yes, he wasn't hitting well most of the season, but he still brought plenty of energy. It's one of those abstract things tough to put a number on..

Tom Servo
Barnhart guns Acuna down!

JCM11
Tucker showing of the gun.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 08:05 PM
I like the hats the Braves are wearing but not the jerseys.

BluegrassRedleg
08-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Perfect throw. That was 2017 TB.

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 08:06 PM
I like the hats the Braves are wearing but not the jerseys.

1974 uniforms

mamell
08-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Barnhart guns Acuna down!

Didn't expect that.. Maybe that injury did Tucker some good. I had a really nasty spasm down the left side of my body the other day and once it calmed down I've felt much better..

RedseatHR
08-01-2019, 08:07 PM
I like the hats the Braves are wearing but not the jerseys. I know people really enjoy this uniform for the Braves. I’m with you on this one.

Tom Servo
we got some Dick in the booth

Rolando
Great job Tucker! Got let's get the runs back

Ron Madden
Dick Williams in the tv booth

Rolando
08-01-2019, 08:08 PM
we got some Dick in the booth

Thom isn't there

Big Klu
08-01-2019, 08:09 PM
I get tired of players pointing to the dugout for a replay every time they are called out. It's like watching football where every time a receiver drops a ball he reaches for an imaginary flag.

If teams didn't have the luxury of looking at film before asking for a review, it would cut down on this silliness.

RedseatHR
08-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Dick Williams “the clubhouse loves the trade”. Really?

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Disco gets Freeman this time.

adkindo
08-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Tucker getting his swag back

Patrick Bateman
08-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Did Dick just say the prospect we got back was comparable to the one we gave up??

JCM11
08-01-2019, 08:18 PM
You can't throw Donaldson 2 straight fastballs down the middle.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Did Dick just say the prospect we got back was comparable to the one we gave up??

Yeah. Could just be GM talk, but wonder if that means they're really high on Hannah (maybe) or secretly skeptical about Trammell (it seems like this one).

Alabama
08-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Just different levels of baseball, talent, and excitement between these two clubs.

Patrick Bateman
Yeah. Could just be GM talk, but wonder if that means they're really high on Hannah (maybe) or secretly skeptical about Trammell (it seems like this one).

Its just a laughable thing to say.

Alabama

Most likely he just has no clue what he’s talking about

RedseatHR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk he did. Maybe he meant comparable to Scott Moss. He wasnt specific

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 08:23 PM
uh oh. Bases loaded for Duvall, I remember what he did in those spots last year.

adkindo
08-01-2019, 08:25 PM
saw Amir setting in bullpen, did he appeal his suspension?

Tom Servo
Yeah

NebraskaRed

Yeah, they all did.

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Big K

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Big K of Duvall. Need one more.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Disco labors but escapes!

Ron Madden
Good Job Disco!

NebraskaRed
Disco got himself into big trouble there but didn't lose his composure.

mamell
Nice job getting out of bases full..

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Donaldson robbed Geno

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 08:34 PM
What a catch by Donaldson

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Looked safe to me

Big Klu
08-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Thom isn't there

Cowboy isn't bad as a TV commentator when he's not working with Thom.

NebraskaRed
08-01-2019, 08:37 PM
The Reds vs. Josh Donaldson

mamell
08-01-2019, 08:38 PM
sleeeepeee... I'm just gonna have to read about the win (or loss) tomorrow.. Enjoy the win kids.. If not enjoy the game anyway..
G'night..

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Nice clean inning for Disco

JCM11
08-01-2019, 08:47 PM
Pretty impressed by Disco battling to keep it a 3-1 game without his best stuff or control.

Alabama
08-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Don’t see how Aquino is ever gonna square the ball up against any decent pitcher with all that movement. Got a few hittable pitches there.
Fried looking like chicken young

Jomama
08-01-2019, 08:55 PM
Don’t see how Aquino is ever gonna square the ball up against any decent pitcher with all that movement. Got a few hittable pitches there.
Fried looking like chicken young

Agreed. Those 25 year old guys making their first career major league start rarely set the world on fire.

davereds24
08-01-2019, 08:58 PM
How cool is that to see Wood and Bauer talking pitches already? I really hope they both are healthy and with the Reds next year.

JCM11
08-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Nice recovery by Disco to go 4 scoreless innings in a row after that 1st inning.

ochoa30
08-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Great job by Disco after the rough start!

davereds24
08-01-2019, 09:05 PM
We have watched Disco become a solid MLB starter over the last few months.

Jomama
08-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Reds are position player poor, so naturally they went out and traded for more pitching. No righties on the bench other than Farmer.

RR1971
08-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Winker didn’t look good there.

Alabama
08-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Lol. Catchers interference breaks up an 11 in a row sat down streak....then that guy, the lead off hitter, gets picked off. But this team is ready to compete

RedseatHR
Dang it. Would have been nice to have that runner on first

Big Klu
Votto with a double, but no RBI.

#notelite

coryfly
08-01-2019, 09:09 PM
His move looks slow and not very good. Surprised he got picked there.

RR1971
08-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Reds are position player poor, so naturally they went out and traded for more pitching. No righties on the bench other than Farmer.
I don’t really understand the trade. Right now we’re 4-5 position players short of being a serious contender. TT is struggling in AA but why give him up for a pitcher for one year? We also gave up one of our best pitching prospects.

JCM11
08-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Really great move having Wandy face Duvall there Freddie.

RedseatHR
There’s really not a great spot to see Peralta

ochoa30
Lol, what a terrible pitch.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Really great move having Wandy face Duvall there Freddie.
So much for the “Benavides is way better than Bell” theory, what the hell was he thinking there

Rolando
08-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Senzel needs to learn how to run bases. That was just a lazy play by him

Rolando
08-01-2019, 09:18 PM
So much for the “Benavides is way better than Bell” theory, what the hell was he thinking there

it's not like David Bell doesn't always make the same stupid decisions

BluegrassRedleg
08-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Will Duvall have more HRs than Votto by end of August?

Birwin34
08-01-2019, 09:19 PM
I just don't understand why pitchers get pulled so early in games now.

RedseatHR

Man got a lot of thinking done as Bill Doran’s understudy so I’m sure it was something

JCM11
Suarez has been pretty underwhelming on defense lately.

wvreds
Honestly, how much longer does Peralta get to keep pitching for this team?

Rolando
08-01-2019, 09:20 PM
I just don't understand why pitchers get pulled so early in games now.

because I needed to try to score last inning

Big Klu
08-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Off topic rant:

Not a fan of the shortsleeved hooded pullovers worn by the coaching staff. It makes them look sloppy.

adkindo
08-01-2019, 09:21 PM

I will be very happy when he no longer is with the Reds

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 09:22 PM
Sir this is a family board

adkindo
08-01-2019, 09:22 PM
oh god, it gets worse

Rolando
08-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Sir this is a family board

stupid voice to text I apologize

WVRedsFan
The only good time to use Wandy is mop up.

Alabama
I don’t really understand the trade. Right now we’re 4-5 position players short of being a serious contender. TT is struggling in AA but why give him up for a pitcher for one year? We also gave up one of our best pitching prospects.

It doesn’t make sense. Just in the past year the Reds have given up like 4 of their top 12 prospects for one year players. They won’t make the playoffs this year and barring some offseason like the Reds have never had, they won’t next year. Then you are left with Castillo, Gray, Suarez, and Senzel as solid, contending team starter talent. And a bottom 3rd farm system. Unless they have something super innovative up their sleeve, 2021 and beyond could make the 13-18 teams look talented.
Next year will be interesting tho

Big Klu
08-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Man got a lot of thinking done as Bill Doran’s understudy so I’m sure it was something

Freddie Benavides was also Bill Doran's understudy at 2B for the Reds in 1992.

RedForLife
08-01-2019, 09:25 PM

I was surprised (considering our FO, not really) they didn't get at least one middle reliever before the deadline.

Patrick Bateman
08-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Man Senzel is a natural out there.

Rolando
nice catch

RedForLife
The only good time to use Wandy is mop up.

You mean in the clubhouse?

RR1971
It doesn’t make sense. Just in the past year the Reds have given up like 4 of their top 12 prospects for one year players. They won’t make the playoffs this year and barring some offseason like the Reds have never had, they won’t next year. Then you are left with Castillo, Gray, Suarez, and Senzel as solid, contending team starter talent. And a bottom 3rd farm system. Unless they have something super innovative up their sleeve, 2021 and beyond could make the 13-18 teams look talented.
Next year will be interesting tho
Yeah, I’m just just not sure how the front office thinks they’re going to turn this roster into a contender with our farm system and limited payroll. Throw in the fact free agents aren’t running to small market teams.

wvreds
08-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Didn’t Wandy essentially have a good first half 2 years ago, and the Reds have kept trotting him out there based on that flash in the pan?

Birwin34
08-01-2019, 09:29 PM

I could understand that if runners were on base, but used the best left handed hitter in a no rbi situation. Took out a pitcher that was doing pretty good to put in a left hander to face Duvall. Doesn't make sense to ne. Maybe it was the pitch count.

BluegrassRedleg
08-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Puig 1-2 with a BB so far against Cole tonight. Just had real nice lead-off AB... and now a SB.

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Rain Delay

CTA513
08-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Didn’t Wandy essentially have a good first half 2 years ago, and the Reds have kept trotting him out there based on that flash in the pan?

seems like it.

Tom Servo
08-01-2019, 09:34 PM
I think Wandy is only still around because Reed got injured. Hopefully the end is nigh for Wandy.

Rolando
08-01-2019, 09:38 PM
I think Wandy is only still around because Reed got injured. Hopefully the end is nigh for Wandy.

is Cody Reed pitching yet in the minors

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 09:38 PM
How has the Atlanta bullpen looked lately?

Rolando
08-01-2019, 09:40 PM

not great but it is a totally different then it was yesterday

adkindo
08-01-2019, 09:40 PM

half of it is brand new

Ironman92
08-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Off topic rant:

Not a fan of the shortsleeved hooded pullovers worn by the coaching staff. It makes them look sloppy.

It’s the screw you NFL Belichick hoodie

Alabama
08-01-2019, 09:47 PM

Lately, as shaky as possible. Jackson has been their Hernandez or Peralta, awful but continuously being used. The. They traded for 3 solid to upper echelon relievers and should be....maybe not a strength but a lot deeper and reliable.

Not trying to harp(I know it’s all I do) but Atlanta is an example of a team being ready to contend and making a few moves to put them in a position to get over the hump. They were strong everywhere except back end of the rotation and bullpen. They traded for bullpen help and are waiting and hoping Folty gets right. And they picked up Keuchel
The Reds, just have so many holes, I don’t feel like trading for one pitcher, with one year left is enough. Even with an off-season ahead. Just too many holes.

Rolando
08-01-2019, 09:53 PM
If the reds could ever come back and win a game please be tonight

adkindo
08-01-2019, 10:01 PM
any update on getting the game restarted?

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Cardinals lead the Cubs 8-0 going to the 9TH inning

Rolando
08-01-2019, 10:08 PM
Cardinals lead the Cubs 8-0 going to the 9TH inning

Good as much of a long shot it is it is for the Reds to come back and win the division it's probably good the home team wins when some combination of Chicago St Louis and Milwaukee play each other

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Cardinals shut the Cubs out 8-0

Kc61
08-01-2019, 10:26 PM
If
it's not like David Bell doesn't always make the same stupid decisions

Bell makes his mistakes, but he’s a stickler for handedness matchups. He usually tries to get the advantage.

It’s hard for me to believe Bell picked Peralta to face Duvall. Whomever called it, just an awful matchup, particularly when Duvall is hot.

redsrule2500
08-01-2019, 10:26 PM
If the reds could ever come back and win a game please be tonight

Will they even play?...

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Will they even play?...

I doubt it

adkindo
08-01-2019, 10:39 PM
after the multiple times we have waited for hours to play when we had the lead.....tonight will get called when we are losing...

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 10:43 PM
after the multiple times we have waited for hours to play when we had the lead.....tonight will get called when we are losing...

Sure seems like that's the way the season has gone so far

KronoRed
08-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Why no roof on this stadium? they had already ripped the people off, why not go all the way?

adkindo
08-01-2019, 11:04 PM
how do the suspensions work when appealed....like if Amir and Hughes are not used tonight, it still will not count against suspension?

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 11:05 PM

Dick Williams has recently traded for 3 All-Star Pitchers..

I'd say the Reds organisation is headed in the right direction

adkindo
08-01-2019, 11:09 PM
^^^^places like St. Louis have no choice but try to be competitive....I mean the city (and region) really supports the Cardinals, and will not accept anything less. It is one of the few unique baseball towns left in my opinion.

davereds24
08-01-2019, 11:16 PM
how do the suspensions work when appealed....like if Amir and Hughes are not used tonight, it still will not count against suspension?

The suspensions will not start until they drop the appeal or the appeal is heard. MLB usually allows teams to stagger the suspensions when multiple players of the same position are suspended, so either Garret or Hughes will serve first, then the other second.

adkindo
08-01-2019, 11:18 PM
The suspensions will not start until they drop the appeal or the appeal is heard. MLB usually allows teams to stagger the suspensions when multiple players of the same position are suspended, so either Garret or Hughes will serve first, then the other second.

so that kind of sucks if the game is called....what is the history or odds they get reduced on appeal?

Ironman92
Water coolers being dumped....

redsrule2500
^^^^places like St. Louis have no choice but try to be competitive....I mean the city (and region) really supports the Cardinals, and will not accept anything less. It is one of the few unique baseball towns left in my opinion.

"really supports the cardinals"....

Aka

"really supports one of the highest winning percent franchise in major league sports"

Shocking.

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Game called

Braves 4 Reds 1

davereds24
08-01-2019, 11:20 PM
Honestly that's probably better for the Reds, we didn't need to see their pen give up another 5 runs. Just disappointing that they had a chance to make a statement this series and it starts off so bad. Good news is they have 3 great pitchers coming up.

adkindo
08-01-2019, 11:24 PM
"really supports the cardinals"....

Aka

"really supports one of the highest winning percent franchise in major league sports"

Shocking.

I am not really shocked by it....but if it shocks you, I am good with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Game called

Braves 4 Reds 1

sucks

Ron Madden
08-01-2019, 11:27 PM
Box Score

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/reds-vs-braves/2019/08/01/567220#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab= box,game=567220

Rolando
08-01-2019, 11:42 PM
Honestly that's probably better for the Reds, we didn't need to see their pen give up another 5 runs. Just disappointing that they had a chance to make a statement this series and it starts off so bad. Good news is they have 3 great pitchers coming up.

it definitely have been nice if the umpiring crew would have waited it out a little longer the Reds did play a game with the Braves this year that got over like at 1 in the morning after a long rain delay. The Braves look out again at some point their luck Is going to change. the Reds had the better pitcher pitching the next 3 nights make a statement and win the next three

WVRedsFan
08-01-2019, 11:53 PM
Bummer 7-inning loss,

Alabama
08-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Dick Williams has recently traded for 3 All-Star Pitchers..

I'd say the Reds organisation is headed in the right direction

Well if you say it in that context, he’s also traded away two all star position players recently

Big Klu
08-02-2019, 12:09 AM
Well if you say it in that context, he’s also traded away two all star position players recently

Four, if you count Duvall and Mesoraco last year.

He also released Kemp earlier this year.

Big Klu
08-02-2019, 12:14 AM
so that kind of sucks if the game is called....what is the history or odds they get reduced on appeal?

It seems to me (and this is just me working from memory, no statistical evidence) that most players usually get one or two games knocked off their suspensions on appeal. I would think that Hughes has the better chance of the two of getting his suspension commuted.

Ron Madden
08-02-2019, 02:25 AM
If I'm Williams I still make those moves all day everyday

hebroncougar
08-02-2019, 07:48 AM

Yes, but two of the pitchers were all stars after he traded for them.