Uptown LF
Thaiss 3B
Smith C
Walsh 1B
Rengifo 2B
Cole P

cumberlandreds
08-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Angels fly into town for a quick two game series.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBOLGW9WkAA9hwq?format=jpg&name=large

DocRed
08-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Rookie Pitcher for the Angels going with a 6 ERA at AAA....no hitter alert.

cumberlandreds
08-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Someone on Twitter said this pitcher will be an "opener". So he is only going a couple of innings if that is true.

Great minds think alike, Ron. I think we posted the lineups at the same time. So I merged.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 01:14 PM

Hopefully we can knock him outta the game early

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Someone on Twitter said this pitcher will be an "opener". So he is only going a couple of innings if that is true.

Great minds think alike, Ron. I think we posted the lineups at the same time. So I merged.

Thank You My Friend I appreciate it but you didn't have to do that. I will add the Angels lineup as soon as I get it.

08-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Aquino already batting cleanup.

Rolando
08-05-2019, 01:27 PM

I believe the rookie left-hander is going to be the second picture tonight the opener the right-handed reliever name Taylor Cole.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Let's hope he enjoys hitting at GABP

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Would like to see JVM in there somewhere but not complaining.

Scoring 12 sounds like fun

adkindo
08-05-2019, 01:47 PM

Exactly where "The Punisher" belongs. :cool:

bigfoot52
08-05-2019, 02:04 PM
No Ervin even though facing a rookie LHP.
Winker starting everyday now, I guess?
:confused:

Rolando
08-05-2019, 02:11 PM
No Ervin even though facing a rookie LHP.
Winker starting everyday now, I guess?
:confused:

a right-handed reliever is starting the game

bigfoot52
08-05-2019, 02:20 PM

And who would that person be? Where are you getting that info?
MBL and other sites have Patrick Sandoval the starting pitcher.

Rolando
08-05-2019, 02:45 PM
And who would that person be? Where are you getting that info?
MBL and other sites have Patrick Sandoval the starting pitcher.

I got it off of Baseball Press the guys starting the game is just going to be an opener

RiverfrontRed
08-05-2019, 03:11 PM
It's a great managerial move to take your hottest hitter - Ervin - and bench him until he cools off. That takes away the other team's advantage of guessing what your going to do.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure Aquino is right-handed like Ervin. I'd rather see the latter.

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 03:25 PM
It's a great managerial move to take your hottest hitter - Ervin - and bench him until he cools off. That takes away the other team's advantage of guessing what your going to do.

So Ervin was just going to keep batting .350 if only the Reds hadn't stopped playing him every day, I guess.

Rolando
08-05-2019, 03:25 PM

- - - Updated - - -

the hottest hitter stuff is a myth. I will give him credit he had a great couple weeks but I still think he is what he is oportun fourth outfielder at best and that's great because if you want to be a good team you need those guys to you need plenty of depth. I like Phillip Ervin I just don't think he's anything special that's all

TeamSelig
08-05-2019, 03:48 PM
So the LHP is only pitching the first inning?? Why lead off with Winker then?

Rolando
08-05-2019, 04:10 PM
So the LHP is only pitching the first inning?? Why lead off with Winker then?

the right-hander is starting

DocRed
08-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Taylor Cole RHP Opening today now, has 5 "starts" this year. No ER in his first 4 and then Cleveland bombed him last time out.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=coleta01&t=p&year=2019

TeamSelig
08-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Okay thanks for the clarification. Now my question switches to why Peraza and not JVM?

Kc61
08-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Okay thanks for the clarification. Now my question switches to why Peraza and not JVM?

This is a lineup to face a LHP. Except that with the RH opener, Winker gets the lead off spot. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ervin replaces him if there’s a key spot mid-game against the LHP.

It’s a bit of a hybrid, but one good reason to use the opener is to make it difficult to create an opposing lineup. It’s a good effort by Reds IMO.

davereds24
08-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Was the appeal of the suspensions today?

RiverfrontRed
08-05-2019, 04:52 PM
So Ervin was just going to keep batting .350 if only the Reds hadn't stopped playing him every day, I guess.

He will bat .350 until he bats .220. Just like Dietrich hit 11-12 HRs a month right up until he hit zero in a month. The point is that you allow a hot streak run its course on it's own.

RiverfrontRed
08-05-2019, 04:55 PM
the hottest hitter stuff is a myth. I will give him credit he had a great couple weeks but I still think he is what he is oportun fourth outfielder at best and that's great because if you want to be a good team you need those guys to you need plenty of depth. I like Phillip Ervin I just don't think he's anything special that's all

Anybody who's played sports knows it's not a myth. There are times when you're in the zone and everything is easier. There are also times when everything is a grind. They are NOT the same thing.

CaiGuy
08-05-2019, 04:55 PM
He will bat .350 until he bats .220. Just like Dietrich hit 11-12 HRs a month right up until he hit zero in a month. The point is that you allow a hot streak run its course on it's own.

How do you know when the hot streak is over? After a week's worth of AB's with a .100 BA? A month's worth? If you play him until he's hitting .220, then you are going to have a really crappy player in your lineup for quite a while. You don't get to foresee how long a streak lasts.

Wouldn't it be simpler/wiser to just play your best players?

CaiGuy
08-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Who does Ervin play over? Winker is hitting 338/434/508/942 over his past 28 games. Does that qualify as a hot hitter? Senzel? Ervin shouldn't play CF. Aquino and Van Meter have been better this year.

Nobody was begging for more Phil Ervin after he got 300 plate appearances last year.

He probably hits for Winker at some point today, though.

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 05:17 PM

Surely they'll leave him in until he at least allows a baserunner. Will they pinch hit for him if he hasn't allowed a base runner and his spot comes up with bases loaded and 2 out in a 0-0 game in the 2nd?

JaxRed
08-05-2019, 05:22 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I like Ervin. I feel about 99% sure Ervin is on the team next year splitting time with Winker. But we need to see Aquino.

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 05:24 PM
How do you know when the hot streak is over? After a week's worth of AB's with a .100 BA? A month's worth? If you play him until he's hitting .220, then you are going to have a really crappy player in your lineup for quite a while. You don't get to foresee how long a streak lasts.

The eye test is key in knowing when to stop playing a player with a recent hot past.

Bruce Berenyi
08-05-2019, 05:24 PM
very perspicaciocious Tom, dont play the giuy batting .350 because he eventually will cool off,, nice reasoning, you should be the g.m.

BluegrassRedleg
08-05-2019, 05:26 PM
I was really hoping to see Trout sit tonight. I'm going to tomorrow's game, and I'm worried they're going to pick that for his rest day. (Although Disco would probably be A-OK with it.) It will probably be my only chance to ever see him in person.

NC Reds
08-05-2019, 05:28 PM
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard

If you like exit velocity data, Phil's success may have been a bit of BABIP luck. He's behind Tucker in that category.

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 05:31 PM
very perspicaciocious Tom, dont play the giuy batting .350 because he eventually will cool off,, nice reasoning, you should be the g.m.
Thought you said you were more interested in talking about Glenn Sutko then this pack of losers.

I'm not surprised by which crop of posters fully believe that Ervin was about to become Hank Aaron if only the Reds hadn't screwed everything up.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Angels lineup has been added to original post

CaiGuy
08-05-2019, 05:41 PM
The eye test is key in knowing when to stop playing a player with a recent hot past.

What do you look for? How long does the eye test take? A bad AB? A bad game? Honest question, because you may have some insight that I don't have.

Everyone agrees that Ervin will cool down, but say hey let's play him until his numbers go down. I just think they should play the players who are most likely to play the best from today moving forward.

Not to mention that Winker is on a tear right now himself.

Jomama
08-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Thought you said you were more interested in talking about Glenn Sutko then this pack of losers.

I'm not surprised by which crop of posters fully believe that Ervin was about to become Hank Aaron if only the Reds hadn't screwed everything up.

Yes, that's exactly our argument. :confused:

08-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Maybe Ervin is putting up such strong numbers because Bell is selectively using him when there is a good matchup.

RiverfrontRed
08-05-2019, 05:53 PM

You don't need some fantasy baseball nerd to tell you when it's over... you can see it with your eyes. When did sports become so hard to figure out what was good and what was bad???

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Yes, that's exactly our argument. :confused:
This "argument" isn't even an argument, it's just mindless bashing. If they'd have played Ervin for two weeks and he did nothing, your group would be decrying the lack of playing time for VanMeter, or Aquino, or someone else. There's no actual conviction or thought behind it, just a devotion to endless *****ing.

RiverfrontRed
08-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Maybe Ervin is putting up such strong numbers because Bell is selectively using him when there is a good matchup.

When is Bell going to find a good matchup for Derek Dietrich?

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 05:56 PM
You don't need some fantasy baseball nerd to tell you when it's over... you can see it with your eyes. When did sports become so hard to figure out what was good and what was bad???

Fantasy Baseball Nerd?

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 05:59 PM
When is Bell going to find a good matchup for Derek Dietrich?

Dietrich is on the IL.. He has looked pretty bad in his last 100 ABs.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Who does Ervin play over? Winker is hitting 338/434/508/942 over his past 28 games. Does that qualify as a hot hitter? Senzel? Ervin shouldn't play CF. Aquino and Van Meter have been better this year.

Nobody was begging for more Phil Ervin after he got 300 plate appearances last year.

He probably hits for Winker at some point today, though.

Ervin comes off bench today and likely not look too locked in.

Over Ervin’s last 28 games Ervin .404/.448/.677/1.125

CaiGuy
08-05-2019, 06:03 PM

That's not nice, and I don't play fantasy baseball.

I am honestly asking, what do you see with my eyes? What tells you that the "hot streak" is over?

CaiGuy
08-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Ervin comes off bench today and likely not look too locked in.

Over Ervin’s last 28 games Ervin .404/.448/.677/1.125

That's nice, but what kind of numbers do people honestly expecting Ervin to put up from today to the end of the season? An .800 OPS? A .900 OPS? That's all that matters when it comes to playing him frequently, everyday, or not. What he doesn't moving forward.

I am probably just beating this into the ground...I see there "Where's Ervin?!" posts every game and wonder what the thought process is there. If people actually think he is better than he is based on a hot streak or what the thinking is.

Jomama
08-05-2019, 06:07 PM
This "argument" isn't even an argument, it's just mindless bashing. If they'd have played Ervin for two weeks and he did nothing, your group would be decrying the lack of playing time for VanMeter, or Aquino, or someone else. There's no actual conviction or thought behind it, just a devotion to endless *****ing.

Baseball is a game of streaks for hitters and pitchers. They have hot streaks and cold streaks. It makes sense to play a player who is hot. Research has indicated that a hitter's last 25 at bats is a significant predictor of his next at bat. Anybody who denies that hot streaks exist must not be very familiar with baseball. Here's an interesting article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/research-supports-the-notion-of-the-hot-hand-baseball-players-always-believed-in-it/2014/07/16/5a70653e-0cf9-11e4-b8e5-d0de80767fc2_story.html?noredirect=on

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed...that is a valid well-reasoned argument and that is a possibility.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 06:28 PM

I am honestly asking, what do you see with my eyes? What tells you that the "hot streak" is over?

Just to answer and not to argue.

Watching the PA’s closely. I saw Puig starting to not look as good at the plate while he was still pretty hot....his shirt quick swing was slowly becoming swinging bunts and his line drives of 93-95 mph pitches in his zone were becoming pop ups and near bat breaks but he was getting a 1-3 or 1-4 in there and hit run of numbers was hanging on. He very clearly could not hit above 93 mph in top half of zone early in the season....when he got hot I was worried for the pitcher a bit......about 5-6 games after I started mentioning he wasn’t looking as good he went on his 12/58 slump and 0-15 finish......dude definitely needed a day off and certainly needed to work on whatever issues. I saw it and saw it early, surely the Reds have 500 people watching that know a hell of a lot more than me....surely they saw it too. Maybe I’m just wrong, I’ve been wrong before.

Ervin was 17/31 and had the look and spraying line drives. His swing was very short and quick with no extra movement. He was solid some before that run but not anything worth noting. At one point in that timeframe he was 9-20 off of righties. As for riding out the hot streak...to me he is what he is but what he was doing was crazy steroid Barry Bonds for that tiny sample size. To me he gets a few starts to follow the 17/31....an 0-4 with 4 strikeouts swing 14 total pitches and yeah go ahead and pat him in the back and say....hope you enjoyed your little run but I’d bet his confidence at 17/31 was going to give him some help in maybe another 2-4 or 3-5 game....and then keep him in there. Could’ve been a simple couple more games or maybe a few more. His liners turn into 3 hoppers or pop ups and the run ends. Not a science and not critically difficult either.

Right now he’s Phillip Ervin and hasn’t looked good his last 8 or so at bats bs righties. He’s earned a bit of leeway with lefties...but if they are getting him out....he’s SOL not being a very good defender or base runner.

It’s over....the run was like 2 weeks ago. He’s not locked in right now. He should be starting vs lefties and Winker, JVM way over him vs righties. Really shouldn’t be many yelling about him playing right now and really shouldn’t be any grouping of everyone that thought his hot streak deserved a bit more of a look and making them all out to be the same.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 06:31 PM
That's nice, but what kind of numbers do people honestly expecting Ervin to put up from today to the end of the season? An .800 OPS? A .900 OPS? That's all that matters when it comes to playing him frequently, everyday, or not. What he doesn't moving forward.

I am probably just beating this into the ground...I see there "Where's Ervin?!" posts every game and wonder what the thought process is there. If people actually think he is better than he is based on a hot streak or what the thinking is.

You mentioned a random 28 games for Winker and I used that same 28. That’s all.

Ervin’s hot streak is done. Winker should be a regular in the lineup.

I agree with Winker playing tonight. I agree with Ervin not starting tonight.

RiverfrontRed
08-05-2019, 06:32 PM

Lol. I wasn’t referring to you. But seriously, you can’t see that he has a hot bat? Clutch hits? Frequent triples?

Rolando
08-05-2019, 06:36 PM
I need a drink:beerme::beerme:

Jomama
08-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Lol. I wasn’t referring to you. But seriously, you can’t see that he has a hot bat? Clutch hits? Frequent triples?

Apparently some never played sports before and don't know what "being in the zone" means. I was in the zone this past weekend on the golf course where I was 1 under par throught 6 holes. Unfortunately that zone was fleeting. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I need a drink:beerme::beerme:

Great idea. 15 year old bourbon for me!

DocRed
08-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Too bad we aren't playing a 4 game series vs the Angels :X

RiverfrontRed
08-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Apparently some never played sports before and don't know what "being in the zone" means. I was in the zone this past weekend on the golf course where I was 1 under par throught 6 holes. Unfortunately that zone was fleeting. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea. 15 year old bourbon for me!

Well I’m not too quick to judge people on here. Some may have been much better athletes than me so I don’t assume anything.

As to golf, there are times the shots come so easy I want to laugh at the game but it always gets the last laugh. My goal is to be a scratch golfer but whenever I get close, the wheels come off.

Jomama
08-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Well I’m not too quick to judge people on here. Some may have been much better athletes than me so I don’t assume anything.

As to golf, there are times the shots come so easy I want to laugh at the game but it always gets the last laugh. My goal is to be a scratch golfer but whenever I get close, the wheels come off.

Scratch? Impressive. I'm just trying to get my handicap into the single digits. :)

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Too bad we aren't playing a 4 game series vs the Angels :X

They swept us in LA.

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 07:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBPgM6mW4AEY8WT?format=jpg&name=small

GADawg
08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Play ball! I love the freakin’ Reds

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
You people on here arguing already before the games even started? LOL

Jomama
08-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Luis already dealing at 98 mph. Could be a good night.

- - - Updated - - -

We gotta warm up too!

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:17 PM
I’ve enjoyed listening to Marty and the radio guys.....but man I’m missing the tv view

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:17 PM

That's been pretty much it.

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 07:18 PM
Just to answer and not to argue.

Watching the PA’s closely. I saw Puig starting to not look as good at the plate while he was still pretty hot....his shirt quick swing was slowly becoming swinging bunts and his line drives of 93-95 mph pitches in his zone were becoming pop ups and near bat breaks but he was getting a 1-3 or 1-4 in there and hit run of numbers was hanging on. He very clearly could not hit above 93 mph in top half of zone early in the season....when he got hot I was worried for the pitcher a bit......about 5-6 games after I started mentioning he wasn’t looking as good he went on his 12/58 slump and 0-15 finish......dude definitely needed a day off and certainly needed to work on whatever issues. I saw it and saw it early, surely the Reds have 500 people watching that know a hell of a lot more than me....surely they saw it too. Maybe I’m just wrong, I’ve been wrong before.

Ervin was 17/31 and had the look and spraying line drives. His swing was very short and quick with no extra movement. He was solid some before that run but not anything worth noting. At one point in that timeframe he was 9-20 off of righties. As for riding out the hot streak...to me he is what he is but what he was doing was crazy steroid Barry Bonds for that tiny sample size. To me he gets a few starts to follow the 17/31....an 0-4 with 4 strikeouts swing 14 total pitches and yeah go ahead and pat him in the back and say....hope you enjoyed your little run but I’d bet his confidence at 17/31 was going to give him some help in maybe another 2-4 or 3-5 game....and then keep him in there. Could’ve been a simple couple more games or maybe a few more. His liners turn into 3 hoppers or pop ups and the run ends. Not a science and not critically difficult either.

Right now he’s Phillip Ervin and hasn’t looked good his last 8 or so at bats bs righties. He’s earned a bit of leeway with lefties...but if they are getting him out....he’s SOL not being a very good defender or base runner.

It’s over....the run was like 2 weeks ago. He’s not locked in right now. He should be starting vs lefties and Winker, JVM way over him vs righties. Really shouldn’t be many yelling about him playing right now and really shouldn’t be any grouping of everyone that thought his hot streak deserved a bit more of a look and making them all out to be the same.

I agree. I think Ervin should have been starting some of those games that Puig did when Puig had cooled off and Ervin still seemed to be hot. I'm thinking they wanted Puig in to showcase him, but it probably hurt both players and the team. A couple other points on getting hot and cold. Getting good contact to the oppo field is a sign of getting hot and trying to pull everything is a sign of going cold, as well as getting the ball blown by you and swinging at outside breaking balls. Complaining about pitches that were in the zone and called strikes is a sign you are cold and have lost the proper perspective of the strike zone, if you ever had it like many of the reds hitters, except maybe now that is a bit less with the arrival of Senzel and VanMeter. Also laying off those outside breaking balls is a sign of being hot, or getting there.

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:20 PM
I’ve enjoyed listening to Marty and the radio guys.....but man I’m missing the tv view

I did it last night for a little bit, and I like doing it ... going out on my deck and listening to the Reds on radio. Thom drives me nuts!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you buy those Mike Trout oven mitts?

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Pretty fancy slidin' there, Mr. Trout

BluegrassRedleg
08-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Jesus, he’s even the best at sliding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Great slide more than bad tag

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:24 PM
So are we going to have to listen to Thom educate us on turf toe for the next four innings? I could care less that Steeler Jack Lambert had to retire because it turf toe! LOL

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Pretty fancy slidin' there, Mr. Trout

Absolutely amzaing at the speed he came into 2B, that he could hold the bag after that very evasive move where all his momentum was off-line to the outside of the bag!

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:25 PM
So are we going to have to listen to Thom educate us on turf toe for the next four innings? I could care less that Steeler Jack Lambert had to retire because it turf toe! LOL

It’s a legit injury...Thom might be legitimately irritating about it though

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Stay hot Wink [emoji122][emoji122]

GAC
Winker dinker

NebraskaRed
Votto starts to back out of the box as soon as that pitch left Cole's hand.

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:29 PM
It’s a legit injury...Thom might be legitimately irritating about it though

It's just that he never shuts up LOL

Big Klu
Votto with a walk, but no RBI.

#notelite

BluegrassRedleg
Where are Joseph’s Redlegs???

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:30 PM
First two men on nobody out

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Knock this starter out before it’s time

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 07:31 PM

This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who!

https://y.yarn.co/52a145be-b483-4d16-9f1e-065e6b1b7bc5_screenshot.jpg

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 07:32 PM
There's a sign of a cooling Geno AB!

Tom Servo
Aquino! 1-0 Redlegs

Ron Madden
Aquino comes through with an rbi

Ironman92
Aquino a little Tony Bautista stance

Nice hit young man

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 07:33 PM
1 run, 2 singles and a walk. Is that bad for your "opener"?

GADawg
I know y’all talked about it this weekend but I wasn’t around...seeing that tall, lean dude with that “44” on his back is very exciting

GAC
OK. Somebody fill me in on this Aquino kid. No nothing LOL

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Iglesias! 2-0 Redlegs

Ron Madden
Iglesias rbi double

Aquino’s RBI single on a soft liner up the middle on an elevated pitch out of the zone, was reminiscent of Tony Perez back in the BRM days,

Ironman92
That darn Iglesias batting 5th smh

GAC
Ole Jose!

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Good start haha

Ironman92
Love the starter

Tom Servo
Nasty Nick bloop! 4-0 redlegs

Ron Madden
WTG Nick!

mhs95_06
That's how you make them pay for using an opener!

HammerTime
There we go boys. Let Luis pound that strike zone now.

Ironman92
Keep it rolling....don’t need HR

BluegrassRedleg
Castillo getting run support! #GASP

Spanky
Opener isn't working out for the Halos today.

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Senzel will take it. LOL

NebraskaRed
Obviously, this is not how the Angels hoped the first inning would go.

Tom Servo
Peraza! 5-0 Redlegs

North
I love angel food cake.

Ron Madden
RBI double for Peraza!

Ironman92
5-0

4-0 equals losses

Jomama
This dude is so bad he could be in the Reds bullpen. LOL

Ironman92
Wonder what the starting pitcher thinks of this? Lol

NCReds
I LOVE IT

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:37 PM
I said 12 would be fun

Big Klu
This "opener" theory is a really good idea!

GAC
Keep it rolling....don’t need HR

Peraza almost got one. 5-0 now

HammerTime
Aquino’s RBI single on a soft liner up the middle on an elevated pitch out of the zone, was reminiscent of Tony Perez back in the BRM days,

Great plate coverage to reach and get that.

NebraskaRed
LOL

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 07:38 PM
wow! Trout dropped it. Wow.

GADawg
That stupid 8 game losing streak is just ruining this season....you know potentially

Ironman92
Haha

Ron Madden
Error Mike Trout!

Spanky
This trout guy is a bum huh?

GAC
OMG! LOL

Ironman92
Winker would’ve had it [emoji3]

HammerTime
Holy Cow. He’s human maybe. Angels might want to unplug and plug him back in after this inning.

NCReds
This is nuts....

BluegrassRedleg
Wow. Speechless.

Saven
08-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Lol, everything that can go wrong for the Angels is going wrong.

mhs95_06
If there is one thing from this game that you may never see again, it may be that: Trout dropping a routine fly ball

Big Klu
E8! Would have been ruled a hit for certain in Orange County.

Tom Servo
there’s our Reds

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Oops.

Ironman92
And there’s your momentum swing

I’m guessing a missed sign.

Spanky
STFU Thom.

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 07:41 PM
I don’t get doing a suicide squeeze there.

Burger Beer

Castillo missed the sign.

Spanky
I don’t get doing a suicide squeeze there.

Yeah pretty dumb if you ask me.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Get momentum back now

Jomama
Thom backhandedly hating on Bell makes me almost want to like him.

Ron Madden

Looked like Castillo missed the sign

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 07:43 PM
After one inning, Peraza and Trout both involved in 2 out of the 3 worst plays of the game!

Spanky
Thom backhandedly hating on Bell makes almost want to like him.

Yeah because when benavides blew that game against the Cardinals when we were up 7 to nothing that was awesome... Or the one against the braves where he let the guy walk in the leading run, that was cool too.

WVRedsFan
If I had to bet, I'd say Peraza missed the sign, but who knows?

Big Klu
You know, maybe the club ran more this weekend because the Braves have a weakness against the running game, and not because Benavides was calling the shots instead of Bell.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 07:44 PM
After one inning, Peraza and Trout both involved in 2 out of the 3 worst plays of the game!

Don't think that was on Peraza.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:45 PM

I mean we don’t know for certain...I assumed Castillo but could’ve been Peraza

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 07:46 PM

I would guess Castillo missed the sign, because the first pitch after a mound visit is normally an excellent time to call a "trick play" like a squeeze.

Burger Beer

saw his body language on a replay. threw his hands up like "whadda you DOING!"

davereds24
Hopefully this big lead will allow Castillo to be efficient enough to go 8 or 9

Jomama
08-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Yeah because when benavides blew that game against the Cardinals when we were up 7 to nothing that was awesome... Or the one against the braves where he let the guy walk in the leading run, that was cool too.

Thom forgot about those.

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 07:47 PM
nice quick inning for Castillo

- - - Updated - - -

now the starter gets to come in to the game down 5-0. Bet he's happy.

GADawg
08-05-2019, 07:48 PM
My wife and kids went to see the Lion King so I should get in 3 or 4 peaceful innings....I should get one of those Disney t-shirts that day “best day ever”....in xxl of course

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 07:48 PM

Probably not on the bunt, notice I only said involved, on the failed tag play and the squeeze, whether it was to be suicide or safety.

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Castillo missed the sign. Peraza wasn't trying to steal home. LOL

Rolando
08-05-2019, 07:49 PM
You know, maybe the club ran more this weekend because the Braves have a weakness against the running game, and not because Benavides was calling the shots instead of Bell.
I think they ran big time this weekend because Tyler Flowers stinks didn't seem like they read as much on Brian McCann I agree with you I figure that was exploiting a weakness

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 07:50 PM
now the starter gets to come in to the game down 5-0. Bet he's happy.

The pressure's off him -- he can't get charged with the loss.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 07:52 PM
DaWink wit DaWalk

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Add on

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Am I watching Groundhog Day? LOL

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Wink keeps getting n base like a leadoff hitter

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 07:54 PM

Maybe just might be the best thing for a debut.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 07:55 PM

I mean he could....

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 07:56 PM
That'll Work!

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 07:56 PM
6-0 Reds.

NC Reds
08-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Geno needs to get in on the fun before this is over.

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 07:57 PM
I would have called the second one a passed ball.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Geno needs to get in on the fun before this is over.

I think he will

GAC
08-05-2019, 07:59 PM
I would have called the second one a passed ball.

Alright Thom. :mooner:

RedTeamGo!
08-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Yo, uh, are the reds .... guh...guh....I cant seem to remember this word....guhd? Good! Are the reds good?

08-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Aquino’s walk up music is Sinatra’s “Fly Me To The Moon”

I might have a new favorite Red.

Big Klu
The Reds should have worn their red jerseys for this game, just to force the Angels to wear gray.

GADawg
At worst “Sandoval” can gain comfort in knowing he’s the most fit “Sandoval” in the bigs

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 08:01 PM

He’s a real paisan

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Alright Thom. :mooner:

Is that what THom said? (I had the TV muted.)

In that case, I say "Wild Pitch".

Ron Madden
Looks like a good crowd at the ballpark tonight

North
The Reds should have worn their red jerseys for this game, just to force the Angels to wear gray.

I remember every detail - the Germans wore grey...

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Sometimes rookies don't get to choose. Veterans in the clubhouse make the choice for them.

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Thom casually mentioned that these past few games have been long and taxing on the pitching staff after Castillo gives up a solo homer.

What exactly was the connection there?

- - - Updated - - -

"If you give up one run, it's going to a long, taxing game on your pitching staff" - Thom, I guess?

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Thom casually mentioned that these past few games have been long and taxing on the pitching staff after Castillo gives up a solo homer.

What exactly was the connection there?

Thom just likes to hear himself yap incessantly.

Burger Beer
08-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Rook is wondering why he's getting squeezed and Castillo got two calls on the fringe.

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 08:10 PM
5Ks in 3 innings for Castillo.

6-1 Reds.

- - - Updated - - -

and Trout is still good

GAC
08-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Is that what THom said? (I had the TV muted.)

In that case, I say "Wild Pitch".

Yep. That's what Thom said. LOL

Rantly
08-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Thom obviously doesn’t want to hear about Trout’s WAR stats.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Keep scoring

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Puig 6 for 16 with the Tribe....did interview wearing his Reds slides lol

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 08:13 PM
I preferred the Angels' navy cap w/red bill from the 70's and 80's.

https://cdn-s3.si.com/images/1982-0304-Fred-Lynn-Don-Baylor-Reggie-Jackson-Rod-Carew-001091684.jpg

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 08:14 PM

Noticed FS Ohio gave the Angels the navy blue on-screen graphic, despite the fact that their current crop of uniforms don't have any navy blue.

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Thom started that sentence with "Very close to getting out of here" and I thought he was about to complain about the game not being over yet.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Thom started that sentence with "Very close to getting out of here" and I thought he was about to complain about the game not being over yet.

He's usually ready to go home around the 4TH inning

GAC
08-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Tom's problem is he likes to be a wet blanket. He's Ray Romano pessimist. He thinks he's telling us stuff we don't already know LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Did you guys know about Upton's battle with turf toe? LOL

The Operator
08-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Changeup is filthy tonight for Castillo

First two pitches to Upton were beautiful

Big Klu
Noticed FS Ohio gave the Angels the navy blue on-screen graphic, despite the fact that their current crop of uniforms don't have any navy blue.

I really dislike numbers that are the same color as the body of the jersey, like the red numbers on the Angels' red jerseys. Basically, it's just a white outline of a number.

NebraskaRed
I'll never forgive Justin Upton for messing up Cueto's first game.

GAC
08-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Angel batters are making Castillo's job pretty easy

- - - Updated - - -

I really dislike numbers that are the same color as the body of the jersey, like the red numbers on the Angels' red jerseys. Basically, it's just a white outline of a number.

Clash with purse?

The Operator
08-05-2019, 08:23 PM
7 K's

Castillo in a groove

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 08:26 PM
7 K's

Castillo in a groove

Remember when a bunch of people raised hell when Bell named Castillo as Opening Day Starter?

The Operator
08-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Remember when a bunch of people raised hell when Bell named Castillo as Opening Day Starter?

Those spring training stats, though! Lol

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Angel batters are making Castillo's job pretty easy

- - - Updated - - -

Clash with purse?

For me, I think my dislike stems from the fact that for many years I have worked in the press box for the local high school football team. It is very difficult to read the numbers when they are the same color as the jersey.

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 08:29 PM

https://cdn-s3.si.com/images/1982-0304-Fred-Lynn-Don-Baylor-Reggie-Jackson-Rod-Carew-001091684.jpg

That’s back when I first started watching

Rantly

*coughMarty

mhs95_06
7 K's

Castillo in a groove

But he isn't going to last too long averaging over 17 pitches per inning.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Third baseman may have saved a run there

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Third baseman may have saved a run there

Cowboy said he did

08-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Votto having fun with his walk up music. He switched from Miley Cyrus to Carly Rea Jepsen

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 08:35 PM
looked high but too close to take

The Operator
Brutal strike 3 call on Joey

Need robot umps

mhs95_06

Need robot umps

Ticked the box!

Spanky
08-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Need robot umps

High strikes are tough, I'll give him a pass on that one.

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 08:37 PM
Votto having fun with his walk up music. He switched from Miley Cyrus to Carly Rea Jepsen

Who is Carly Rea Jepsen?

Burger Beer
Need robot umps

Nope.

stein1214
6-1 in the 4th and you’re taking down Winker already? Seriously?

Rantly
looked high but too close to take

Yea, Joey benefited from one on outside corner fringe earlier in the count.

Ironman92

Lol

The Operator
I'm sure it's not easy

That's why it needs to be automated

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Yea, Joey benefited from one on outside corner fringe earlier in the count.

Did he tip his cap to the ump on that one lol?

The Operator
Who is Carly Rea Jepsen?

Don't google her. You'll miss the carefree time in your life before you heard her music.

Tadasimha

Need robot umps

Nope.

Yep

Jomama
08-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Suarez needs a day off.

Ironman92
Suarez has been better

Tom Servo
really wanted that run in from 3rd, Votto and Suarez couldn't deliver.

Spanky
I'm sure it's not easy

That's why it needs to be automated

I agree

Ironman92
Suarez needs a day off.

Not until he goes 3-5 with 2 HR

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 08:40 PM

Are you giving the pass to Joey or the ump? I agree we need tech calls for balls and strikes, but I think the ump got it right in that case.

Spanky
Brutal night for Geno

Burger Beer
Ticked the box!

And it's not just a flat box on a tv screen.

Spanky
Are you giving the pass to Joey or the ump? I agree we need tech calls for balls and strikes, but I think the ump got it right in that case.

The ump

Big Klu
08-05-2019, 08:43 PM
I turned the sound back on, and heard Thom mention Martin Maldonado when they were discussing Willson Contreras going on the DL. Didn't the Cubs trade Maldonado to Houston?

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 08:44 PM
I turned the sound back on, and heard Thom mention Martin Maldonado when they were discussing Willson Contreras going on the DL. Didn't the Cubs trade Maldonado to Houston?

Yes

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Waiting for the daily tweet explaining where Bell is watching this game from.

GAC
08-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Smoking in the Boys Room!

Ron Madden
Ya think this Castillo kid will ever be any good?

mhs95_06

I figured he'd be taken down before his first time up vs the lefty, but I guess since we had the big lead he gave him an extra AB to more solidify his stats vs lefties, and he did.

GAC

Where's Waldo?

mhs95_06
08-05-2019, 08:48 PM

He was on the pre-game show with Marty.

Tadasimha
Where's Waldo?

Ask Carmen San Diego

RedsfaninMT
Ya think this Castillo kid will ever be any good?

Not sure, but what a terrible idea it was to make him Opening Day starter after that miserable spring he had.

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 08:50 PM

They tape that show early.
Bell has to leave the clubhouse before the game starts

GAC
I figured he'd be taken down before his first time up vs the lefty, but I guess since we had the big lead he gave him an extra AB to more solidify his stats vs lefties, and he did.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the other day Winker tweeked his lower back

The DARK
Castillo about to single-handedly bankrupt LaRosa’s, thus unraveling the social fabric of the city and leading to the end of the tri-state area as we know it. You have been warned.

NebraskaRed

So, I shouldn't expect the cameraman to catch him sitting out in the bleachers chugging a beer like Baker Mayfield?

Tom Servo
08-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Sandoval looks pretty good...good thing the Reds got to face The Opener

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 08:52 PM
I'm starting to think that the Angels should not have tried an "opener" today.

Jomama
08-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Not until he goes 3-5 with 2 HR

:laugh:

Burger Beer
08-05-2019, 08:54 PM
I'm starting to think that the Angels should not have tried an "opener" today.

They just got their bullpen implosion done early; the Reds are saving theirs for later.

Sorry.

GADawg
08-05-2019, 08:55 PM
I’m thinking if I’m paying Albert what he’s getting paid that I’m playing him at shortstop or wherever just to get my moneys worth

Ron Madden
08-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Sweet play!

Ironman92
08-05-2019, 08:56 PM
I’m thinking if I’m paying Albert what he’s getting paid that I’m playing him at shortstop or wherever just to get my moneys worth

Doubt he makes that play

The Operator
Oh. Trout

I guess that'll happen

6-2

NebraskaRed
Trout is good.

NebraskaRed
08-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Thankfully it was a solo shot.