PDA

View Full Version : 3/5/2020 Reds vs. Brewers - Senzel debut, Castellanos return, AA in CF

WrongVerb
03-05-2020, 10:29 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESWvULfU0AM6hrb?format=jpg&name=small

goreds2
03-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Today @ 3:05 pm ET
Reds vs Brewers
XM Radio: Streaming 846

AM Radio: WSAI-AM 1360 in Cincinnati

TV:

FSO (Fox Sports Ohio)

Also, replay airs 12:01am and 6 a.m. Friday (tomorrow) on MLB Network

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 02:25 PM
Cincinnati Reds
@Reds
Today’s lineup has been updated after a shuffle at the top. The first four now look like this:

Nick Castellanos, RF
Joey Votto, 1B
Mike Moustakas, 2B
Nick Senzel, DH

The rest are unchanged.

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 02:47 PM
I think Jim Day will fill in for Thom today calling PBP.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 03:30 PM
Brewers catcher created a couple of those strikes that inning in my opinion.

Red Raindog
03-05-2020, 03:31 PM
So I’m watching the game on YouTube TV and suddenly the screen shows a message that this program is unavailable to watch.
I switch to mlbtv and it’s on.

I have to wonder if the plug has been pulled mid game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HammerTime
03-05-2020, 03:34 PM
So I’m watching the game on YouTube TV and suddenly the screen shows a message that this program is unavailable to watch.
I switch to mlbtv and it’s on.

I have to wonder if the plug has been pulled mid game

Mine is still working, it had a little glitch like that when I first opened it.

- - - Updated - - -

Castillo strikes out the first 2 on 6 pitches and gets the 3rd out on his 7th pitch in the 2nd.

Red Raindog
03-05-2020, 03:43 PM
Odd

The Fox Sports Ohio feed isn’t even an option for me now.

Strange

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Brewers 1
Reds 0
After 2 innings

adkindo
03-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Farmer with a HR!

JaxRed
Farmer goes deep 1-1 !!

Ron Madden
Farmer Goes BOOM!!!
The ballgame 1-1

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 03:57 PM
Votto has walked about 9 times this spring.
I think that's a good sign

adkindo
03-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Votto going to have more walks in Spring Training than Peraza did all season last year....RBI Double by Moose

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Moose hammers a double Joey scores

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Senzel hits it to the track....Moose to 3rd on the Fly out

HammerTime
03-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Senzel puts a nice swing on one but it's about 10 feet short of an oppo HR.

NachoMan
03-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Senzel gave that a pretty good ride. Looking pretty healthy.

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 04:03 PM
Senzel flys out to deep to RCF into the teeth of the wind

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Andrews looks like a half an Aquino

- - - Updated - - -

Aquino legs out the infield hit for an RBI!

Cherokee
03-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Great hustle by Aquino!

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Aquino steals 2nd!

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Wild pitch, Aquino to 3rd

- - - Updated - - -

VanMeter with a RBI Double

HammerTime
03-05-2020, 04:07 PM
VanMeter is gonna make it really hard to keep DD.

ochoa30
03-05-2020, 04:07 PM
Gonna be tough to keep Van Meter down. Looks great so far this spring.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Ervin to 1st...HBP

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:09 PM
Casali HBP...bases loaded

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Reds 4
Brewers 1
After 3 innings

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:12 PM
Gonna be tough to keep Van Meter down. Looks great so far this spring.

I feel like several guys that will likely be on the bench are really solid offensive players....VanMeter, Farmer, Ervin....none of them come to the plate and I feel surprised if they get a solid hit

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Who was the pitcher that Senzel mentioned to keep an eye on in the Minors on the Jim Day....Jim Day responded that he had been recently added to the 40 man?

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:15 PM
Whether he goes to AAA or stays a Red on OD, Aquino is one heck of an athlete and has terrific potential.

He can run, throw, tons of power.

Chris says he’s been pressing but he’s looked ok today, a hard hit fly ball, an infield single, stolen base.

Note Aquino hit fifth today, Ervin hit seventh.

Really like AA’s upside.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Whether he goes to AAA or stays a Red on OD, Aquino is one heck of an athlete and has terrific potential.

Chris says he’s been pressing but he’s looked ok today, a hard hit fly ball, an infield single, stolen base.

Really like AA’s upside.

feels like he has struck out too much in the Spring....but he has been unlucky more than average also. He has hit the ball hard several times that has resulted in outs. He smoked that infield single and it was almost an out. I have not lost an ounce of faith in him....I expect him to be on our playoff roster this season. ;)

Chip R
03-05-2020, 04:20 PM

Really like AA’s upside.

I understand why people think he should start the season in AAA. September wasn't anything to write home about. But, man, if we keep this guy in the minors and going forward he turns into a star, the Reds are going to be kicking themselves that they kept him in the minors.

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:21 PM
I feel like several guys that will likely be on the bench are really solid offensive players....VanMeter, Farmer, Ervin....none of them come to the plate and I feel surprised if they get a solid hit

Issue is defensive versatility.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Who was the pitcher that Senzel mentioned to keep an eye on in the Minors on the Jim Day....Jim Day responded that he had been recently added to the 40 man?

just looking over 40 man....has to be Hendrix I assume.

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:22 PM
I understand why people think he should start the season in AAA. September wasn't anything to write home about. But, man, if we keep this guy in the minors and going forward he turns into a star, the Reds are going to be kicking themselves that they kept him in the minors.

Chip, I tend to agree. The worst thing is AA hits ten homers in about a month of AAA ball.

But the Reds have so many outfielders.

I”m still hoping they can make some trades, subtract from OF, add to utility/relief squads.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:23 PM
Issue is defensive versatility.

Farmer plays 12 positions :)

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:26 PM
Chip, I tend to agree. The worst thing is AA hits ten homers in about a month of AAA ball.

I”m still hoping they can make some trades, subtract from OF, add to utility/relief squads.

I agree, without a trade or two....I have kind of given up on the hope he is on the roster. I do not think the Reds can allow Ervin to just walk for nothing and Senzel is healthy. The fact that Farmer, VanMeter and even Dietrich can also play a corner OF if needed....feels like Aquino will go to AAA and play CF.

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 04:26 PM
I think Aquino to AAA is the smart move. Hopefully an infield single because the pitcher was late covering isn't a deciding factor. He has to really step it up.

ochoa30
03-05-2020, 04:29 PM

Not sure how that is the worst thing that could happen. It's exactly what you want to happen if anything. He needs to prove he can be a consistent performer which he hasn't done at any level. If he performs well then the Reds can either make a trade of some sort to bring him up or wait until there is an injury. It's a good problem to have.

Ron Madden
I don't know. It would be just our luck if we traded an outfielder then one of two of the ones we keep will spend a lot of time in the IL.depth

I like having the depth.
I'd rather keep the extra talented OFers than trade one for a less talented player just to balance things out

adkindo
I think Aquino to AAA is the smart move. Hopefully an infield single because the pitcher was late covering isn't a deciding factor. He has to really step it up.

you need to step it up

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:31 PM
I don't know. It would be just our luck if we traded an outfielder then one of two of the ones we keep will spend a lot of time in the IL.depth

I like having the depth.
I'd rather keep the extra talented OFers than trade one for a less talented player just to balance things out

so you are a "no" on trading Castellanos?

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Reds 4
Brewers 3
After 4 innings

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Subs coming in Fairchild for Castellnos, AlfRod for Moose, Votto has 3 plate appearances, I assume someone will come in for him.

Edit Blandino replaces Votto and Mahle in to pitch.

ochoa30
03-05-2020, 04:37 PM
Despite the 0 for 3 Senzel has looked good. Happy he's back. Hopefully he can get that timing down and hit the ground running.

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:39 PM

I like having the depth.

If you’re trying for a pennant, you need strong backups all over the field. You need a very strong bullpen.

IMO Reds have focused very heavily on outfielders and not enough elsewhere. I’d like to see them balance it out.

Straw man to say trade for less talented player. How about equally talented player at different position.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:39 PM
For last season to be such a crappy season.....there was some exciting stuff going on all year....we had the dominance of Castillo the first half of the season.....then Sonny was near lock down the back half of the season. We had Senzel mania for a few weeks when he first arrived....even a little excitement around the same time when his buddy VanMeter was raking. The Aquino month was simply must watch baseball. The Bauer trade. Seemed like it was something always keeping us engaged even though we never closed the gap in the standings.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:40 PM
Despite the 0 for 3 Senzel has looked good. Happy he's back. Hopefully he can get that timing down and hit the ground running.

he is just one of those dudes that always looks like a good baseball player for some reason.....if you came out of a coma all season and he was at the plate, you likely would assume he is a good hitter if that makes sense.

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 04:43 PM
I like Jim Day up in the booth. To answer his question.... I want Mahle in AAA starting, not in the pen.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:44 PM
If you’re trying for a pennant, you need strong backups all over the field. You need a very strong bullpen.

IMO Reds have focused very heavily on outfielders and not enough elsewhere. I’d like to see them balance it out.

I think the bullpen could be really good.....average....or bad. I know that sounds silly, but I just think there is a lot of unproven high potential beyond the 3 or 4 main guys (Strop, Lorenzen, Garrett and Iglesias).

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:44 PM
I like Jim Day up in the booth. To answer his question.... I want Mahle in AAA starting, not in the pen.

Why?

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 04:45 PM

I agree with both points

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:46 PM
I think the bullpen could be really good.....average....or bad. I know that sounds silly, but I just think there is a lot of unproven high potential beyond the 3 or 4 main guys (Strop, Lorenzen, Garrett and Iglesias).

Iglesias was a HR machine last year. Garrett a walk machine. Strop rebounding from injury. Three spots are essentially open. I”m not so into unproven potential this year. Rebuild is over.

Bullpen might be ok, guys may rebound, but there is room to use an outfielder to get another very good reliever.

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 04:46 PM
We have plenty of good guys in pen, we keep him "rotation ready" to step in at moment's notice, he gets more work which he needs, we preserve his service time.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:48 PM

for sure.....what is the expected rotation the first week in Louisville? Mahle, Santillan, Guttierrez?, Antone?, Ramono?

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:49 PM
We have plenty of good guys in pen, we keep him "rotation ready" to step in at moment's notice, he gets more work which he needs, we preserve his service time.

Mostly bounce back guys coming off injury, some still trying to make majors.

It’s fine, but the idea this year is wins, not development, not trying guys out. Still room to add.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Iglesias was a HR machine last year. Garrett a walk machine. Strop rebounding from injury. Three spots are essentially open. I”m not so into unproven potential this year. Rebuild is over.

Bullpen might be ok, guys may rebound, but there is room to use an outfielder to get another very good reliever.

I would be ok with it also....but just hoping Stephenson has another good year.....guys like Reed and Sims have shown they have the ability to be very good in that role if they can be consistent.

Red Raindog
03-05-2020, 04:51 PM
No idea if this is permanent but the Reds’ feed on my YouTube TV has disappeared for me.

Mid game

Tried a couple devices

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 04:53 PM
for sure.....what is the expected rotation the first week in Louisville? Mahle, Santillan, Guttierrez?, Antone?, Ramono?

I think DeLeon also, so probably Santillan in AA. I personally would have Romano in bullpen.

Ron Madden
Relievers are volatile they are all question marks by nature.

adkindo
VanMeter robbed of a HR!

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:55 PM
I would be ok with it also....but just hoping Stephenson has another good year.....guys like Reed and Sims have shown they have the ability to be very good in that role if they can be consistent.

I’d much prefer another proven reliever given the makeup of this pen.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:56 PM

that is soooo 2019....everything changes with another year of Johnson....then Boddy getting everyone to potential in the minors. A well oiled machine going forward my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Ervin steals 2nd....error on throw...Ervin to 3rd.

Kc61
03-05-2020, 04:57 PM

This is a different world, my friend. You’re no longer competing with the Pirates for fifth place.

Tryout camp is over. As many solid, proven relievers as possible.

There will always be room for some bounce back candidates or young guys.

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 04:58 PM
Reds 4
Brewers 3
After 5 innings

adkindo
03-05-2020, 04:59 PM
left 7 guys on base through 5 innings

adkindo
03-05-2020, 05:01 PM
I think we have simultaneous split roster games both days this weekend.

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 05:01 PM
The Cubs signed a proven veteran reliever for big bucks last season. He wasn't worth half of what they paid for him

ochoa30
03-05-2020, 05:02 PM
This is a different world, my friend. You’re no longer competing with the Pirates for fifth place.

Tryout camp is over. As many solid, proven relievers as possible.

There will always be room for some bounce back candidates or young guys.

I get where you're coming from but outside of the very large market teams this is just how bullpens are being handled these days. I'd call it the Tampa Bay Ray's model. They spend nothing on there pen yet it was the best in baseball last year. The Reds have accumulated a lot of very good arms and now it's up to them and the coaching staff to make it work. IMO it will be solidly above average this year but we'll see.

adkindo
03-05-2020, 05:02 PM
The Cubs signed a proven veteran reliever for big bucks last season. He wasn't worth half of what they paid for him

feel like that has been a theme in MLB in recent years

adkindo
03-05-2020, 05:03 PM
anyone know is Castillo is non English speaking or not comfortable speaking in English to media?

WrongVerb
03-05-2020, 05:05 PM
left 7 guys on base through 5 innings

Clogged basepaths, dang it!

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 05:05 PM
Payton replaces Ervin, Crook replaces Aquino,

Mahle gives up a run. 2 walks in 2 innings. Still an issue.

Kc61
03-05-2020, 05:07 PM

People make mistakes. It’s not an exact science.

But Reds fans are way too confident in unproven guys and bounce back guys.

The way to go is with quality and experience as much as practicable. That will give you the best yield at the end of the day.

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 05:21 PM
4 hits, 2 walks, 2 runs.... hopefully someone warming. (I have sound off)

ochoa30
03-05-2020, 05:22 PM
Mahle getting hit around by minor leaguers. He just hasn't been able to take that next step in his development. Talent is there. Hopefully he can figure it out and contribute if and when the Reds need him this year.

Red Raindog
03-05-2020, 05:39 PM
No idea if this is permanent but the Reds’ feed on my YouTube TV has disappeared for me.

Mid game

Tried a couple devices

Update —- YouTube told me they couldn’t reach an agreement for the Fox RSN’s and they were unavailable to me — I cancelled — I hope you people have better luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 05:50 PM
Brewers 5
Reds 4
After 8 innings

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 05:54 PM
I would have like to ask Krall the question "Who makes the final call on that 26th man?" If there's a a difference of opinion like you said... who makes the call? Bell, Krall, Williams?

North
03-05-2020, 06:02 PM
Brewers 5
Reds 4
After 8 innings

I didn't realize the game is on...and I think I have a migraine coming on. That makes me a snarky poster, Time for me to stop posting and turn off the computer.

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Santillan gave up a run but he really looked pretty good, Fairchild lost a ball in the "high sky" that went for double but should have been out. Then a ground ball to second, but the second baseman was shifted out of position.

The a potential DP grounder was hit too slowly to turn two and run scores.

Ron Madden
03-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Brewers win 6-4

JaxRed
03-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Last 2 innings the Reds saw 10 pitches combined.

goreds2
03-05-2020, 06:17 PM
I posted this earlier but........

TV replay airs 12:01am and 6 a.m. Friday (tomorrow) on MLB Network

cumberlandreds
03-05-2020, 07:07 PM
After the first two hitters Castillo looked really good.

Van Meter is hitting like he wants to be on the 26 man roster Opening Day. He may just be there.

Votto in mid season form with three walks.

Cant Touch This
03-05-2020, 08:41 PM
After the first two hitters Castillo looked really good.

Van Meter is hitting like he wants to be on the 26 man roster Opening Day. He may just be there.

Votto in mid season form with three walks.

Really after the first hitter. The second double was a few inches from being a foul ball - not really a bad pitch, just a stroke of luck that favored the Brewers. Castillo was flat out nasty after that. Van Meter hits the ball hard.

North
03-06-2020, 01:51 AM
I didn't realize the game is on...and I think I have a migraine coming on. That makes me a snarky poster, Time for me to stop posting and turn off the computer.

Thanks for the likes on my OP. A magnisum citrate pill and an Excedrin Migraine did the trick. :thumbup:

Sea Ray
03-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Mahle getting hit around by minor leaguers. He just hasn't been able to take that next step in his development. Talent is there. Hopefully he can figure it out and contribute if and when the Reds need him this year.

Exactly. Mahle has not improved one bit in the past 2 yrs. At his age that's not good. Some guys peak at age 23. Austin Kearns and Willie Greene are a couple examples