PDA

View Full Version : Reds vs Cubs 7-27-20 6:40PM

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

wvreds
07-28-2020, 12:17 AM
Much to do about nothing.

Nothing gets the juices flowing for a playoff and as they say “championship” caliber team quite like Phil Ervin getting the chance to go 0-5 and do so, so magically that it looks like 0-10.

Big Red Smokey
I wouldn't go that far. Irvin is plenty good enough to be on this roster. As a backup OFer to spell guys here or there and PH when needed.

That at-bat cost them pretty much a series. 1 60 game season game = 2.7 162 game season games.

He's now cost them 3 games this year by that performance tonight. That Votto sac fly should have won it

This isn't April 4th. No time to give guys time to get things figured out.

It's go time now. And the Reds have guys swinging at pitches like it's April 4th

Reds
im out. wild game. rookies played well.

Mutaman
07-28-2020, 12:18 AM
How does Ervin swing at that pitch in that situation? A lack of common sense continues to be an attribute of this organization.

Edskin
Nothing and I mean nothing in 2020 is the same as it was in 2019.... except for the Reds. The last two games have been like a time warp to last summer. Figuring out whatever it takes to lose in the most maddening fashion. Need a one run loss where the starter lights it up and the bullpen and bats let you down? We got you. Need a one run loss where the starter gets lit up and we do the hard part to rally within a run and then can’t get that final clutch hit? We got you.

Stray
Ervin was not the problem tonight....the guy that started on the mound is why we lost

Miley was terrible no doubt, but Irvin had some real ugly ABs.

Lots to be excited about tonight.

Antone looked sharp in his MLB debut
Stephenson looked amazing in his MLB debut
The Reds managed to come back from an 7-0 start, even if it came up one run short.

mhs95_06
ervin really didn't come through

Jankowski there still brings Votto up if he Ks, his speed likely scores a run on an infield grounder, and a fly to the OF probably ties the game.

Stray
07-28-2020, 12:19 AM
Not a classic game, but worth watching. Beats the hell out of being no hit and lose 8-1.

Exactly. Sucks we lost but man I missed nervously pacing around in front of the tv watching games like these.

adkindo
07-28-2020, 12:19 AM
That at-bat cost them pretty much a series. 1 60 game season game = 2.7 162 game season games.

He's now cost them 3 games this year by that performance tonight. That Votto sac fly should have won it

that at bat? not the 6 runs given up by Miley? Not Van Meter leaving runners in scoring position in back to back innings including bases loaded? Just that bat by Ervin?

Big Red Smokey
07-28-2020, 12:20 AM
The line out by Joey Votto had an exit velo. of 96.4 mph and an xBA of .470. Cubs got a bit lucky there.

Stray

This isn't April 4th. No time to give guys time to get things figured out.

It's go time now. And the Reds have guys swinging at pitches like it's April 4th

I get that it's more important in a short season, but Irvin makes our team better. As OF depth.

Roy Tucker
Oh well, we’ll get them tomor... er... later today.

InsaneinthBrame
07-28-2020, 12:21 AM
Well Votto could have been like the Cubs hitters and just let one of the inside pitches just hit him to tie the game. But I am glad he tried to win it because I like that type of confidence

Ron Madden
07-28-2020, 12:23 AM
Box Score

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/cubs-vs-reds/2020/07/27/631592#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab= box,game=631592

Kc61
07-28-2020, 12:24 AM
I’ve seen this game before. Reds will come back. Then they’ll lose. And the announcers and loyalists will marvel at the great comeback.

Same old, same old.

Win tomorrow.

JFLegal
07-28-2020, 12:25 AM
there is no excuse for a manager to get a guy like phil ervin 5 ABs in a game like this, and only 1 plate appearance for a guy like shogo.

and yes, wade miley looked very bad.

Roy Tucker
07-28-2020, 12:27 AM
I’m just glad we got a ballgame worth watching. With all the crazy stuff that’s happening in the world, I still got totally wrapped up in a Monday night Reds game that probably won’t mean anything. I’m grateful for that.

westofyou
07-28-2020, 12:28 AM
That was fun, fun like holding your breath too long and passing out.

I missed baseball, Thom talking during Stephenson's AB was worse than anything I saw between the lines including Miley

Reds Freak
07-28-2020, 12:29 AM
24-33 a year ago in one-run games. 0-2 this year.

mhs95_06
07-28-2020, 12:30 AM
Well Votto could have been like the Cubs hitters and just let one of the inside pitches just hit him to tie the game. But I am glad he tried to win it because I like that type of confidence

I think he tried to be hit on the one pitch, but is not as accomplished at the technique as others such as Rizzo and Dietrich.

brian5562
07-28-2020, 12:31 AM
The line out by Joey Votto had an exit velo. of 96.4 mph and an xBA of .470. Cubs got a bit lucky there.

Agree. Terrible start and many missed opportunities. Ervin's performance makes me want them to pick up the phone and call Puig. That or start Shogo and leave him in. He should not be platooning.

Rolando
07-28-2020, 12:32 AM
I wish they would bail would learn how to push the right buttons cuz obviously in every close game he gets royalty out managed

KronoRed
07-28-2020, 12:33 AM
That was fun, fun like holding your breath too long and passing out.

I missed baseball, Thom talking during Stephenson's AB was worse than anything I saw between the lines including Miley

"Can you imagine what it would be like if he won this? Can you imagine? HE WAS A BRAVES FAN! CAN YOU IMAGINE?!?!?"

joshua
07-28-2020, 12:34 AM
Imagine David Bell being cute and running that lineup out in the NLDS.

Reds Freak
07-28-2020, 12:34 AM
24-33 a year ago in one-run games. 0-2 this year.

Looking at this a little closer, the Reds' 57 one-run games last year was the most in MLB. Giants were second with 54 and not many teams anywhere close to that.

Rolando
07-28-2020, 12:35 AM
The one thing going for thom every nighthe's not the dumbest guy in the ballpark anymore the other Cincinnati kid in The dugout definitely dumber than Thom

Tony Cloninger
07-28-2020, 12:35 AM
absolutely heartbreaking. bell gave ervin how many at-bats? and shogo how many?

Since Ervin started and Shogo only PH that means Ervin by logic would have had the most AB.

Tom Servo
07-28-2020, 12:36 AM
Don't think I've been as viscerally upset about a game since NLDS Game 5 in 2012. It's almost a cathartic feeling.

JFLegal
07-28-2020, 12:36 AM
Since Ervin started and Shogo only PH that means Ervin by logic would have had the most AB.

correct. which is poor manager-ing.

westofyou
07-28-2020, 12:39 AM

Mathing tonight are we?

Bravo

The Operator
07-28-2020, 12:40 AM
Wanted to drop by and see if anybody else is watching the postgame.

David Bell got a little snippy on the very first question asked to him. “We must have been watching a different game.”

I wonder if someone is already feeling some heat?

westofyou
07-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Don't think I've been as viscerally upset about a game since NLDS Game 5 in 2012. It's almost a cathartic feeling.

I had to go into the basement and dig through some boxes for my torches (I keep the pitchfork in the garage)

Reds Freak
07-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Imagine David Bell being cute and running that lineup out in the NLDS.

Agreed. You gotta manage these games like each is a playoff game until you clinch a spot. On what planet does Christian Colon DH with Shogo and Winker on the bench? I don't care about splits, starting pitchers aren't gonna go much more than five.

Of course, seven runs should win you a game.

JFLegal
07-28-2020, 12:43 AM

David Bell got a little snippy on the very first question asked to him. “We must have been watching a different game.”

very beta move out of him. no surprise.

david bell is not a leader.

westofyou
07-28-2020, 12:43 AM
Agreed. You gotta manage these games like each is a playoff game until you clinch a spot. On what planet does Christian Colon DH with Shogo and Winker on the bench? I don't care about splits, starting pitchers aren't gonna go much more than five.

Of course, seven runs should win you a game.

Starting Winker against Lester is ill advised

malcontent
07-28-2020, 12:44 AM
Jankowski there still brings Votto up if he Ks, his speed likely scores a run on an infield grounder, and a fly to the OF probably ties the game.
Good point. I forgot about him.

Tony Cloninger
07-28-2020, 12:45 AM
Mathing tonight are we?

Bravo

I fully expect that if Shogo starts tomorrow and Ervin does not that Shogo will have more AB. Unless Bell decides to go all Sparky Anderson and PH Dan Driessen for John Vuckovich in the 2nd inning.

Reds Freak
07-28-2020, 12:46 AM

Winker would have got at most two ABs off Lester. But if we can't stomach Winker vs. LHP then Ervin or Aquino DHs and Shogo is in center. You gotta play your best players in a 60 game season.

HammerTime
I wouldn't go that far. Irvin is plenty good enough to be on this roster. As a backup OFer to spell guys here or there and PH when needed.

There is no excuse to sit Shogo going forward.

Ron Madden
Everyone crying about the one run loss would ya rather it woulda stayed an 8-2 ballgame?

Lord have mercy!

brian5562
07-28-2020, 12:47 AM

Agree. Shogo should have started and led off and either Ervin or Aquino DH or hell Stephenson.

malcontent
07-28-2020, 12:48 AM
Why, exactly?

Rolando
Everyone crying about the one run loss would ya rather it woulda stayed an 8-2 ballgame?

Lord have mercy!
Not trying to be snarky but in the end does it really matter if you lose?

DocRed
That was a brutal swinging strikeout by Ervin. Ball was a foot up and inside of the strike zone

westofyou
He didn't.

Correct, the argument was he should have

brian5562
07-28-2020, 12:50 AM

yep my fault for not reading.

Reds Freak
07-28-2020, 12:51 AM

In order of preference:
1. Shogo in CF, Aquino DH
2. Shogo in CF, Ervin DH
3. Ervin in CF, Winker DH
23. Ervin in CF, Colon DH

Again, the Reds scored 7 runs. That should win a ballgame. I just hate not using the best weapons we have in such a short season.

westofyou
07-28-2020, 12:53 AM
Not trying to be snarky but in the end does it really matter if you lose?

I've been a baseball fan for 50 years, it always matters. It's really how you process the game I suppose. I can get melancholy or disgusted pretty easy over a loss. I myself don't get mad, there's too much else in the world that pisses me off, sports belongs to happy me, not angry me.

kaldaniels
That was a brutal swinging strikeout by Ervin. Ball was a foot up and inside of the strike zone

Someone better than me can post the pitch chart but that was not a foot high.

Ervin stunk it up tonight but that was an extremely tough pitch to lay-off of 3-2.

Tom Servo
Am I the only one who still remembers Bell getting raked over the coals for not playing Ervin *more* last year?

Stray
07-28-2020, 12:55 AM

What was the question?

HUHUH
07-28-2020, 12:56 AM
Imagine David Bell being cute and running that lineup out in the NLDS.Not quite "playin 'em all like game 7"

The Operator
07-28-2020, 12:57 AM
What was the question?

Forget the exact wording but something to do with leaving runners in scoring position.

Bell snapped back about “oh absolutely not, I wasn’t thinking about that at all. We scored 7 runs! We must have been watching a different game, honestly...”

I’m paraphrasing but it seemed awfully short considering it was a pretty tame question and the very first question he was asked on top of that.

Ron Madden
07-28-2020, 12:57 AM
Am I the only one who still remembers Bell getting raked over the coals for not playing Ervin *more* last year?

Damned if ya do Damned if ya don't around here anymore

Kc61
07-28-2020, 01:01 AM
Bell should have had the advantage in the ninth. Ross brought in a righty and was stuck with him. Bell had the freedom to use any hitter still available.

But lefties Van Meter and Shogo were already used. Jankowski was an iffy choice, not a great hitter, although not a high DP risk.

So Bell’s advantage turns into a disadvantageous matchup - Ervin v righty Jeffress.

It’s 20-20 hindsight but a decent lefty bat had a good chance of hitting a fly ball and tying the game.

WVRedsFan
07-28-2020, 01:05 AM

Lord have mercy!Really, makes no difference, does it? It's only 4 games in, but many see and wonder what's the mindset with the manager. To be honest, I can't figure him out. That said, he mystifies me.

DocRed
07-28-2020, 01:06 AM
Someone better than me can post the pitch chart but that was not a foot high.

Ervin stunk it up tonight but that was an extremely tough pitch to lay-off of 3-2.

I said up and in and foot off the strike zone. Not a foot high. There's a difference

westofyou
07-28-2020, 01:10 AM
Forget the exact wording but something to do with leaving runners in scoring position.

Bell snapped back about “oh absolutely not, I wasn’t thinking about that at all. We scored 7 runs! We must have been watching a different game, honestly...”

I’m paraphrasing but it seemed awfully short considering it was a pretty tame question and the very first question he was asked on top of that.

Sixth, Seventh and ninth had runners in scoring position, Five other innings they ended with a guy on first. They had chances early and never could string a couple hits around a BB or a HBP or error. The Cubs churned through their pen, they will feel it over the next couple days

kaldaniels
07-28-2020, 01:29 AM
I said up and in and foot off the strike zone. Not a foot high. There's a difference

So a foot from the upper corner (or heck, any part of) of the zone? Nah.

If roles were reversed and a Reds pitcher made that pitch we’d be lauding the pitch, not thinking the batter made a dumb decision.

Kc61
07-28-2020, 01:35 AM
So a foot from the upper corner (or heck, any part of) of the zone? Nah.

If roles were reversed and a Reds pitcher made that pitch we’d be lauding the pitch, not thinking the batter made a dumb decision.

No problem with Ervin swinging if he thought it might be called strike three. Very quick decision to make.

But he has to at least foul it off.

Stray
07-28-2020, 01:53 AM

Does sound pretty stand-off-ish this early in the season. Especially when the guy he went with hard tonight was a dud and every Reds fan is wondering about Shogo.

07-28-2020, 02:00 AM
The one move I don’t understand is taking Aquino out so early but leaving Ervin in all game. Aquino is the one guy who provide lots of runs with one swing. Why take him out when you’re down by 7 runs.

Stray
07-28-2020, 02:10 AM
The one move I don’t understand is taking Aquino out so early but leaving Ervin in all game. Aquino is the one guy who provide lots of runs with one swing. Why take him out when you’re down by 7 runs.

Especially with how bad Irvin looked in his at bats. Wouldn't have minded Aquino getting another chance or two to run into one and Shogo with like 2 more at bats.

RedsBrick
07-28-2020, 07:01 AM

For me it's not so much about IF Ervin plays, but where...and where, specifically, in the batting order. The only place he's worse, statistically speaking than the lead-off spot, is the 9-hole. The approach for a lead-off hitter just has to be different. Bell has to know that. Ervin is a 5, 6 guy.

Roy Tucker
07-28-2020, 08:13 AM

Almost but not quite. It was a regular season game and I’m not sure it was even that.

Mat Latos will forever be in my John Tsitouris hall of shame.

Coopdaddy67
07-28-2020, 08:21 AM
I knew Votto hit that too hard given where the OF was playing the second it left the bat.

The Ervin AB was brutal. It was never a strike.

SunDeck
07-28-2020, 08:33 AM
Ugh, this seems like the Reds 2019 v2.0.
Except for the beating the Cubs part.

They need to get this thing righted quick. If it were a regular length season I'd not have a concern, but this is unacceptable in a shortened season (that may very well end in a couple weeks, anyway.)

Ironman92
07-28-2020, 08:54 AM
It was 3-1. Was probably looking for something else. Pitch was a meatball so he tried to take it the other way.

Odd considering he’s pulled nearly every batted ball so far this season. I don’t know how he got out of the way of the 2-1 pitch

Roy Tucker
07-28-2020, 08:55 AM
8 HBP. Cubs had 5, Reds had 3.

Doesn’t seem to be any bad blood to it. At least yet.

Tom Servo
07-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Almost but not quite. It was a regular season game and I’m not sure it was even that.

Mat Latos will forever be in my John Tsitouris hall of shame.
Oh of course that one was worse, I’m saying since that time I haven’t been able to get truly, deeply upset over a game result. Until last night.

SunDeck
07-28-2020, 11:08 AM
8 HBP. Cubs had 5, Reds had 3.

Doesn’t seem to be any bad blood to it. At least yet.

Maybe nobody wants to get in a fight and have to touch anyone.

Ron Madden
07-28-2020, 11:09 AM
All teams are going to have their ups and downs during a baseball season no matter if the season is 60 games or 162 games.

Let's try to enjoy the season and see how it plays out.

wolfboy
07-28-2020, 12:43 PM
This game can be explained as follows: Thom Brennaman's unexpected optimism after the first inning wasn't enough to overpower Thom Brennaman's intense love of the Cubs.

PuffyPig
08-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Don’t worry I’m done watching. This past weekend showed me all I needed to see with this team and now I’m done

To bad you aren’t a man of your word.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk