PDA

View Full Version : Reds vs Indians 8-4-20

Pages : 1 2 [3]

malcontent
08-04-2020, 09:00 PM
If Reed could only get that ERA down to 4.50, we might still win the $Cueto$ trade.

Ron Madden
08-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Nice Play Freddy!

podgejeff_
08-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Family board

:lol:

Rantly
2 nice plays by Galvis.

Falls City Beer
If Reed could only get that ERA down to 4.50, we might still win the Cueto trade.

Post of the night lol

Cursh14
I've asked this before of those who have made a similar point: Then why employ a manager? Why spend any kind of money on one when it's a zero-culpability scenario?

I mean, someone has to make in the in game decisions. And from what analysis has been done, an extremely high performing manager can impact 1-2 games. But people act like the manager dictates almost every game when the players are the ones that have to perform. I just find it to be lazy analysis to constantly blame the manager when they get blamed for any bad outcome almost regardless. Case in point, pulling Mahle. If Mahle stays in and gets lit, people would lose their minds. He pulls him for a reliever who gets hit, people lose their minds. Unless the players perform exactly as hoped, then its the manager's fault for choosing wrong.

Falls City Beer
08-04-2020, 09:02 PM
I mean, someone has to make in the in game decisions. And from what analysis has been done, an extremely high preforming manager can impact 1-2 games. But people act like the manager dictates almost every game when the players are the ones that have to perform. I just find it to be lazy analysis to constantly blame the manager when they get blamed for any bad outcome almost regardless. Case in point, pulling Mahle. If Mahle stays in and gets lit, people would lose their minds. He pulls him for a reliever who gets hit, people lose their minds. Unless the players perform exactly as hoped, then its the manager's fault for choosing wrong.

I place far more blame on the GM.

Reds
I would kindly request 3 runs here

Tom Servo
Please donít muddy the water with facts.
Isn't it a fact that you wanted Strop to close last night over Iglesias?

The bullpen has obviously been bad. I'd say the major question is if you think Lorenzen and Iglesias are going to continue to be terrible and bordering on unusable. I lean towards no, though I'm not certain.

PuffyPig
08-04-2020, 09:03 PM
How many teams in the majors per season have a reliable bullpen? It can't be more than what you can count on one hand. Certainly not arguing the Reds' bullpen is up to snuff, but bullpen guys are so volatile year to year, you never know what you're going to get.

Last year the Reds bullpen ranked 13th in MLB in ERA, 16th in 2018.

So largely average over the last 2 years.

So letís not act like itís been bottom of the league every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phoenix2
So why didn't Bell bring in Amir in the 7th? Is there some self-imposed rule that Amir pitches the 8th inning and Iglesias the 9th? Just curious what kind of self-imposed restrictions we're looking at here.

Ironman92
Blackout time ended at 9:00

Iím watching...Hand struggles, letís win

Ironman92
08-04-2020, 09:04 PM
Dangit...Farmer smoked that

Griffey012
Last year? I thought we were talking about tonight's game.

Do you feel Mahle is a materially different pitcher than last year? One that can suddenly go 115 pitches

Kc61
How many teams in the majors per season have a reliable bullpen? It can't be more than what you can count on one hand. Certainly not arguing the Reds' bullpen is up to snuff, but bullpen guys are so volatile year to year, you never know what you're going to get.

It isn’t rocket science. Mankind does more difficult things than finding good relief pitchers. It can be done if you make it a priority.

Cursh14
So why didn't Bell bring in Amir in the 7th? Is there some self-imposed rule that Amir pitches the 8th inning and Iglesias the 9th? Just curious what kind of self-imposed restrictions we're looking at here.

Iglesias isn't pitching tonight. Amir could have been brought in the 7th, but he could also have been planning to bring him in the 8th or 9th.

Reds
08-04-2020, 09:05 PM

Amir's role isn't defined. Jones pitched the 8th last night

Jomama

PuffyPig
Cards, Aís, Astroís, Yankees, Dodgers build them year after year.

Cards were ranked 20th in 2018. So they ainít doing it every year.

Reds
08-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Davidson is our last hope

RedForLife
08-04-2020, 09:07 PM
I place far more blame on the GM.

It's just frustration. We all just want to see the Reds win.

podgejeff_
08-04-2020, 09:07 PM
I know whatever the outcome of this game is...it's Davidson's fault.

Phoenix2
08-04-2020, 09:08 PM
Well I was expecting a loss tonight. Too bad they kept Bieber in all the way to the 8th inning.

Bruce Berenyi
davidson is hope what a farce it is impossible to believe in this moronic team

JFLegal
what a collapse. had this game locked down. then pissed it away.

Kc61
Cards were ranked 20th in 2018. So they ain’t doing it every year.

Cards had a tremendous pen late last season as I recall.

Reds - it’s been awhile.

PuffyPig
It's just frustration. We all just want to see the Reds win.

Well, clearly not everyone.

Tom Servo
08-04-2020, 09:09 PM
The 7 inning games were on Sunday, these are 9 innings.

Ironman92
After that AB Iíll be clamoring for Ervin in that situation next time.

Kc61
A tale of two bullpens.

Reds Freak
08-04-2020, 09:10 PM
Cards, A’s, Astro’s, Yankees, Dodgers build them year after year.

I'm not hip enough to know what the best bullpen stat to use is, but if we're going by bullpen ERA (which you cited earlier), all but the Yankees and the Dodgers have spent a season ranked in the bottom half of MLB in the last three years in that category.

Phoenix2
We need more 7 inning games

NebraskaRed
Well, maybe Davidson should have taken one for the team. It worked for the Bad News Bears.

NC-Red
Reds offense and Bullpen are both just atrocious. SP is the only quality aspect of this team

Rantly
Iglesias isn't pitching tonight. Amir could have been brought in the 7th, but he could also have been planning to bring him in the 8th or 9th.

That was my thought that Amir was the plan for the 8th. Isnít he more effective starting an inning rather than putting out a fire mid inning!

Mitri
Davidson is an easy cut on Thursday, no?

UK Reds Fan
I mean, someone has to make in the in game decisions. And from what analysis has been done, an extremely high preforming manager can impact 1-2 games. But people act like the manager dictates almost every game when the players are the ones that have to perform. I just find it to be lazy analysis to constantly blame the manager when they get blamed for any bad outcome almost regardless. Case in point, pulling Mahle. If Mahle stays in and gets lit, people would lose their minds. He pulls him for a reliever who gets hit, people lose their minds. Unless the players perform exactly as hoped, then its the manager's fault for choosing wrong.

1. If we had the Nasty Boys, maybe you'd be accurate. But this bullpen was a mess last year and is the 2nd from bottom so far in 2020.
2. It's a 60 game season...you don't have to watch innings like it's 162 games. Cheat a bit on leaning on your better players and don't depend so much on your less players is a rule of thumb.
3. We pull Moose again and now Farmer hits twice...we end games with a few of our best players on the bench as Bell just loves over managing yet again...a 60 game season.
4. Can you honestly defend not having Garret in when tied 2-2 for Jones? Then to bring in Garret who blows 2 dudes away....what are we saving Amir for?

Our top players and pitchers will win or lose the season and not the manager. But for the love...leave Votto, Cast, Moose, Senzel, Suarez alone...Lean on starting pitchers extra innings if they aren't laboring and just rotate in/out Davidson, Catchers, Akiyama, Ervin, Aquino, Winker all you want. Bell is tantamount to taking the game from everyday lineup starting in 7th inning every time out.

Cursh14

2 run lead in the 6th isn't exactly locked down man.

Griffey012
08-04-2020, 09:11 PM
Cards had a tremendous pen late last season as I recall.

Reds - it’s been awhile.

They did it with prospects while their big $$$ arms stunk or were on the sidelines. What prospects should we add to the pen?

Kilgore_Trout
08-04-2020, 09:11 PM

Should be. Won’t be.

RedForLife
08-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Do you feel Mahle is a materially different pitcher than last year? One that can suddenly go 115 pitches

As different as anyone else might be from last year. Pitchers used to routinely go well beyond 115 pitches and their arms didn't fall off. He was pitching lights out and knowing the condition of our bullpen Bell should've asked if he could go one more. We probably would've had a more favorable outcome and I don't think his arm would've fallen off.

Reds Freak
Reds offense and Bullpen are both just atrocious. SP is the only quality aspect of this team

Is there a reason you posted postgame tonight but not last night?

Griffey012
1. If we had the Nasty Boys, maybe you'd be accurate. But this bullpen was a mess last year and is the 2nd from bottom so far in 2020.
2. It's a 60 game season...you don't have to watch innings like it's 162 games. Cheat a bit on leaning on your better players and don't depend so much on your less players is a rule of thumb.
3. We pull Moose again and now Farmer hits twice...we end games with a few of our best players on the bench as Bell just loves over managing yet again...a 60 game season.
4. Can you honestly defend not having Garret in when tied 2-2 for Jones? Then to bring in Garret who blows 2 dudes away....what are we saving Amir for?

Our top players and pitchers will win or lose the season and not the manager. But for the love...leave Votto, Cast, Moose, Senzel, Suarez alone...Lean on starting pitchers extra innings if they aren't laboring and just rotate in/out Davidson, Catchers, Akiyama, Ervin, Aquino, Winker all you want. Bell is tantamount to taking the game from everyday lineup starting in 7th inning every time out.

Moose left the game with an injury.

Roy Tucker
I still like to watch Reds games. I don’t take it as a personal insult if they lose.

Go get ‘em tomorrow.

Reds Freak
08-04-2020, 09:13 PM

I'm not going to argue about Garrett in the 8th, but Moose was pulled with a bruised thigh.

Ron Madden
Sometimes ya just get beat by the other guys who are trying their best to win the game too.

Come back and try to get'em tomorrow.

BluegrassRedleg
I mean, someone has to make in the in game decisions. And from what analysis has been done, an extremely high performing manager can impact 1-2 games. But people act like the manager dictates almost every game when the players are the ones that have to perform. I just find it to be lazy analysis to constantly blame the manager when they get blamed for any bad outcome almost regardless. Case in point, pulling Mahle. If Mahle stays in and gets lit, people would lose their minds. He pulls him for a reliever who gets hit, people lose their minds. Unless the players perform exactly as hoped, then its the manager's fault for choosing wrong.

Then you name a player manager, use the money you saved on a guy who can only positively impact 1-2 games on some bullpen help. I'm kinda out there on an island with my thinking on this, but if what you say is genuinely true (and I concede it might be) there's no point in hiring a manager.

As for Mahle. I didn't see anyone complain about that. Strop was the right call. But it was painfully obvious Strop wasn't on his game tonight. He was laboring, even though Cleveland wasn't really hitting him at all. And then going to Sims and/or Jones when you have Garrett available? Those were your high-leverage situations. Use him in ONE of them. These are the type of decisions that you hire a competent manager to work through. And Bell has flunked the tests for two years running.

Jomama

I guess we'll never find out, will we?

Griffey012
As different as anyone else might be from last year. Pitchers used to routinely go well beyond 115 pitches and their arms didn't fall off. He was pitching lights out and knowing the condition of our bullpen Bell should've asked if he could go one more. We probably would've had a more favorable outcome and I don't think his arm would've fallen off.

You realize we just completed game number 11 and it’s August. There’s a pandemic going around that has thrown things all out of sort. 5th starters used to throw 85, not 95. Times have changed.

Phoenix2
I still like to watch Reds games. I don’t take it as a personal insult if they lose.

Go get ‘em tomorrow.

Yup. And who knows how much longer we'll be able to.

mth123
08-04-2020, 09:14 PM

I'd cut Davidson and Jankowski

WVRedsFan
We need more 7 inning gamesOne thing is certain. The 7-inning games were against a bad team. Cleveland is a good team. Big difference. Also, the team is still not hitting. Just have to be patient.

Griffey012
I guess we'll never find out, will we?

Tyler Mahle must have signed into his RZ account.

dsterry
I'm not a guy who blames the manager for every thing that happens, but it's rather inexcusable to have Garrett available in a close game and not use him until he's already run out Pedro Strop, Lucas Sims and Nate Jones. I never loved Bell but I'm pretty much over him at this point.

Coopdaddy67
08-04-2020, 09:15 PM

Okay and that doesn't happen much anymore, especially during a shortened season where guys didn't have an opportunity to build up their arms.

Also, Mahle's biggest problem in the past has been after getting through the lineup 2 times.

Cursh14
08-04-2020, 09:17 PM

Why does it matter if Garret is in during the 7th or 8th or 9th? Why was Jones in during the 7th such a terrible decision? If Garret is in and pitches a clean 7th, then what for the 8th or 9th? Your first point is even more relevant to why blaming Bell is so lazy. The whole over managing thing and then saying it is a shortened season seems counter intuitive. In a playoff game, does a manager make more or less moves? I would think it is generally more. I don't have particularly strong opinions here, but I don't buy that Bell is the one to blame here. Players will succeed and players will fail. Sometimes it is on the manager, but again... if a bad outcome occurred without the moves occurring, I guarantee you people would be complaining that Bell isn't making enough moves.

Jomama
The 7 inning games were on Sunday, these are 9 innings.

When the home team is up 2 runs through 6 innings they have an 87.46% chance of winning.

PuffyPig

Yet their offense has been well above average this year.

WVRedsFan
08-04-2020, 09:18 PM
Reading Moustakas has a strained left quad. Uh oh.

Tom Servo
08-04-2020, 09:21 PM
When the home team is up 2 runs through 6 innings they have an 87.46% chance of winning.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/8811354-3x2-940x627.png

Ron Madden
08-04-2020, 09:23 PM
Box Score

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/indians-vs-reds/2020/08/04/631597#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab= box,game=631597

Jomama
08-04-2020, 09:24 PM

Unless that team is the Cincinnati Reds.

RedForLife
08-04-2020, 09:24 PM
Okay and that doesn't happen much anymore, especially during a shortened season where guys didn't have an opportunity to build up their arms.

Also, Mahle's biggest problem in the past has been after getting through the lineup 2 times.

Yup. I've seen his blowups in the past. But, he was in a zone tonight. I'm just frustrated as to how our bullpen can collectively go off the rails when some of them have had success in recent years. Maybe when the rosters go down to 28 they'll get more work and find a comfort zone and some consistency.

Griffey012
08-04-2020, 09:26 PM
I do wonder. Why wasn’t Lorenzen in the mix tonight. He was filthy last night.

50YrRedsFan
08-04-2020, 09:28 PM
Reds have scored almost 52% of their runs by home runs. 54 runs total and 28 runs by home runs. They will have a hard time scoring in bigger parks if this continues.

Griffey012
Watching the replay. That is on Votto for his floating toss. Any zip on that and it’s an out.

Rantly
I tentatively agree with this. Back in the super 70ís they didnít even keep track of pitch counts

malcontent
08-04-2020, 09:31 PM
Watching the replay. That is on Votto for his floating toss. Any zip on that and it’s an out.
Yeah, Strop had to wait on it.

Patrick Bateman
08-04-2020, 09:32 PM
The bullpen arms just have to be better. There is some talent here, and they have been pathetic, but they can do better.

Again there was finite resources this year and big aquisitions in other areas led us bargain bin shopping in the pen.

Iím good with the process as if rather have Bauer, moose, cast than a reliever. But they gotta be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rantly
08-04-2020, 09:32 PM
I'd cut Davidson and Jankowski

I would cut at least one or two of the 11 relief pitchers. I think that is part of the problem as Welsh mentioned, too many rusty arms,

RedForLife
08-04-2020, 09:34 PM
Reds have scored almost 52% of their runs by home runs. 54 runs total and 28 runs by home runs. They will have a hard time scoring in bigger parks if this continues.

That's food for thought. We seem to either have a weak ground ball or a towering home run. If we can put together some consistent line drives to the gaps we should be ok. Especially with this lineup.

Ron Madden
08-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Unless that team is the Cincinnati Reds.

Says the troll who never makes a comment after a Reds win.

Griffey012
08-04-2020, 09:41 PM
Yeah, Strop had to wait on it.

I thought it was that rough angle but ball wasnít that shallow.

Ron Madden
08-04-2020, 09:41 PM
C. トレント・ローズクランズ
@ctrent
Antone-Castillo-Bauer-DeSclafani-Gray is the #Reds upcoming pitching rotation

Griffey012
08-04-2020, 09:42 PM
I’m curious if he had Castillo and Antone flipped or not.

WVRedsFan
08-04-2020, 09:45 PM
I like the new press conference style manager comments. No more Jim and cut.

mth123
08-04-2020, 09:57 PM
I would cut at least one or two of the 11 relief pitchers. I think that is part of the problem as Welsh mentioned, too many rusty arms,

I'd leave Raley in the pen ad only use him to soak up innings when the reds are way behind. It;s a lot easier to just stick a reliever on the back burner. Positions players end up playing too much.

If I had my way, I'd cut Raley, Reed, Davidson, Jankowski, Ervin, Colon and VanMeter. I'd recall Aquino and just use the guys that are left. If they could find a lefty PH with a track record off the scrap heap, I'd add him.

UK Reds Fan
08-04-2020, 10:01 PM
Why does it matter if Garret is in during the 7th or 8th or 9th? Why was Jones in during the 7th such a terrible decision? If Garret is in and pitches a clean 7th, then what for the 8th or 9th? Your first point is even more relevant to why blaming Bell is so lazy. The whole over managing thing and then saying it is a shortened season seems counter intuitive. In a playoff game, does a manager make more or less moves? I would think it is generally more. I don't have particularly strong opinions here, but I don't buy that Bell is the one to blame here. Players will succeed and players will fail. Sometimes it is on the manager, but again... if a bad outcome occurred without the moves occurring, I guarantee you people would be complaining that Bell isn't making enough moves.

Why is Amir only able to pitch 1 inning? Why not 2 innings? He threw what 7 pitches and got 2 outs. Why can't a relief pitcher go 2 innings or heaven forbid 3 innings at times?

If we have a short season, why not throw a higher percentage of at bats and innings on your better players vs. a bullpen that is hot mess? You knew he was pulling Mahle in the 7th and the dude was rolling thru dudes (and just went thru the heart of Cleveland lineup). We was going to face the backend of Cleveland lineup in the 7th. Bell is just obsessed with pulling all the pitchers in 7th regardless for a bullpen that has been awful for 2 years.

IF you want to defend Jones over Amir to start the 8th...I don't know what else to say. Why not just rest Votto for Davidson, etc...if anything Bell does is just the players fault. Why have a manager if this is how we view his job?

RedsBrick
08-04-2020, 10:08 PM
The strength of this team is clearly the starting rotation. So many adjustments are being made in this crazy, shortened season. The Reds need to highlight the team's strength and these starters need to pitch deeper in games. It's definitely against the grain in today's game, but they gotta do what they gotta do.

RichRed
08-04-2020, 10:09 PM
He's due. Reds score 8 tonight.

This guy’s dumb.

RedForLife
08-04-2020, 10:11 PM
I'd leave Raley in the pen ad only use him to soak up innings when the reds are way behind. It;s a lot easier to just stick a reliever on the back burner. Positions players end up playing too much.

If I had my way, I'd cut Raley, Reed, Davidson, Jankowski, Ervin, Colon and VanMeter. I'd recall Aquino and just use the guys that are left. If they could find a lefty PH with a track record off the scrap heap, I'd add him.

I'm with you on Aquino. He has good range, a great arm and runs well. He can also launch a baseball into orbit. Get rid of Colon and Jankowski. Maybe trade Winker for a reliever. I'd like to give VanMeter a little more of a look. I'd also use Casali as the primary catcher with Stephenson as the backup. Move Tucker.

RedForLife
08-04-2020, 10:17 PM
This guyís dumb.

After tonight's game a good laugh is much appreciated!

08-04-2020, 10:23 PM
Why is Amir only able to pitch 1 inning? Why not 2 innings? He threw what 7 pitches and got 2 outs. Why can't a relief pitcher go 2 innings or heaven forbid 3 innings at times?

If we have a short season, why not throw a higher percentage of at bats and innings on your better players vs. a bullpen that is hot mess? You knew he was pulling Mahle in the 7th and the dude was rolling thru dudes (and just went thru the heart of Cleveland lineup). We was going to face the backend of Cleveland lineup in the 7th. Bell is just obsessed with pulling all the pitchers in 7th regardless for a bullpen that has been awful for 2 years.

IF you want to defend Jones over Amir to start the 8th...I don't know what else to say. Why not just rest Votto for Davidson, etc...if anything Bell does is just the players fault. Why have a manager if this is how we view his job?

Amir tweeted that Bell only wants to use him one inning at a time, and never on back to back days, and that he, Amir, is on the same page as his manager.

Ron Madden
08-04-2020, 10:37 PM
Lance McAlister
@LanceMcAlister
"98 pitches is the most I've thrown in a long time. No doubt it was the right call,"-Tyler Mahle

Rantly
08-04-2020, 10:38 PM
I'm with you on Aquino. He has good range, a great arm and runs well. He can also launch a baseball into orbit. Get rid of Colon and Jankowski. Maybe trade Winker for a reliever. I'd like to give VanMeter a little more of a look. I'd also use Casali as the primary catcher with Stephenson as the backup. Move Tucker.
No to your last sentence IMO. Tucker is so good defensively and knows and handles the staff well.

DocRed
08-04-2020, 10:43 PM
VOtto's D is trash

Griffey012
08-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Amir tweeted that Bell only wants to use him one inning at a time, and never on back to back days, and that he, Amir, is on the same page as his manager.

I didnít realize it was back to back days. But I myself was caught on the multi inning thing.

08-04-2020, 11:05 PM
I didn’t realize it was back to back days. But I myself was caught on the multi inning thing.

I went back and checked his twitter and you’re right. I can’t find the tweet I read, but in the ones up on Twitter he only talks about pitching multiple innings. He says he doesn’t pitch multiple innings so he can pitch the next day. I probably read the first one wrong or remembered it wrong.

Griffey012
08-05-2020, 12:29 AM
I went back and checked his twitter and you’re right. I can’t find the tweet I read, but in the ones up on Twitter he only talks about pitching multiple innings. He says he doesn’t pitch multiple innings so he can pitch the next day. I probably read the first one wrong or remembered it wrong.

I wasn’t even questioning your statement. Just saying I was thrown off enough by the non multi inning thing that it makes sense.

NC-Red
08-05-2020, 07:34 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is an all or nothing offense, they don't have anyone who can consistently get on base and then steal bases and play small ball as a team. Those are not the types of offenses that win, yes they will put up some double digit runs here and there and make you think the offense is good but in reality it isn't.

NC-Red
08-05-2020, 07:37 AM
VOtto's D is trash

He's old, slow, and unathletic. Reds have got to have BY FAR the worst fielding infield between him, Galvis, and Moose. All slow and uncoordinated

RedTeamGo!
08-05-2020, 09:14 AM
He's old, slow, and unathletic. Reds have got to have BY FAR the worst fielding infield between him, Galvis, and Moose. All slow and uncoordinated

If Galvis is slow and uncoordinated I’m Miles Davis

goreds2
08-06-2020, 12:08 PM
I am just now listening to the 700wlw podcast after this Tuesday night game. If we would have won this game, we would have been over .500 for the first time since May 14, 2017.

Also, we lead the league in giving up the most unearned runs.