Pages : 1 [2]

Ironman92
08-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Winker oppo

2 hits on first pitch

He’ll probably sit

Ron Madden
08-06-2020, 09:07 PM
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains.

Ironman92
08-06-2020, 09:07 PM
Glad only 2 bench guys got to get an AB in this game where no one but Winker hit

Ron Madden
08-06-2020, 09:09 PM
Box Score

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/reds-vs-indians/2020/08/06/631571#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab= box,game=631571

Reds
08-06-2020, 09:11 PM
Box Score

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/reds-vs-indians/2020/08/06/631571#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab= box,game=631571

Ty but I watched it and can't bear to relive it ��

Red Raindog
08-06-2020, 09:11 PM
I’m glad I shut it off when Cleveland went up by three......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mhs95_06
08-06-2020, 09:14 PM
It pained me greatly to see the Reds allow the runners to move to 2nd and 3rd on that hot box play early in the bottom of the 7th inning. The 3rd baseman should be right on top of 3rd base as the catcher runs the runner back toward 3rd. The SS should be 6' to the 2B side of 3rd base and back 6' so he can see the runner who started from 1B when he commits to coming to 3B so he can alert the C and 3rd baseman. The 2nd baseman follows the runner who started from first as he moves toward 3rd base. CF comes in to cover 2nd, RF comes in to cover 1st, LF backs up 3B for a bad throw, 1st baseman comes in to cover home. The catcher with the ball quickly runs the runner back to 3rd and does not release it until he either tags out the runner who started from 3rd, or times his throw to 3rd after the runner commits to 3B to tag him as he goes back into 3B. If the C tags the runner out, he immediately turns his attention to the next runner and if he has committed from 2nd, he throws to 3B, SS, or the 2nd baseman to get the runner tagged or trapped. If the first runner is tagged out by the 3rd baseman, with the SS's voice help, he immediately looks to tag out or throw to get the next runner trapped, if he is vulnerable. If he is not vulnerable, then the original goal is met of getting the lead runner out without either of the other runners advancing more than their one base. If an other runner is vulnerable, then you attack for a 2nd out at 2nd base with it being possible to have two runners that are each closer to 2B. If the Reds could have executed the play better they may not have given up 10 runs in the inning. For 60 years I've been waiting to see a 3rd baseman to get a double play on two tags within a half second, one on a runner coming back to 3rd, then on a runner coming into 3rd. Even rarer would be the 3rd baseman to tag the runner coming into 3rd first, and then tag the runner coming back to 3rd. That would be more rare than another play I've never seen, which is the catcher intentionally dropping a foul tip on a first or 2nd strike to make a runner who seems to have the base stolen go back to his original base for the next pitch.

Mutaman
08-06-2020, 09:16 PM
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains.

Over the last seven years with this organization, more often then not, they lose.

foster15
08-06-2020, 09:17 PM
It pained me greatly to see the Reds allow the runners to move to 2nd and 3rd on that hot box play early in the bottom of the 7th inning. The 3rd baseman should be right on top of 3rd base as the catcher runs the runner back toward 3rd. The SS should be 6' to the 2B side of 3rd base and back 6' so he can see the runner who started from 1B when he commits to coming to 3B so he can alert the C and 3rd baseman. The 2nd baseman follows the runner who started from first as he moves toward 3rd base. CF comes in to cover 2nd, RF comes in to cover 1st, LF backs up 3B for a bad throw, 1st baseman comes in to cover home. The catcher with the ball quickly runs the runner back to 3rd and does not release it until he either tags out the runner who started from 3rd, or times his throw to 3rd after the runner commits to 3B to tag him as he goes back into 3B. If the C tags the runner out, he immediately turns his attention to the next runner and if he has committed from 2nd, he throws to 3B, SS, or the 2nd baseman to get the runner tagged or trapped. If the first runner is tagged out by the 3rd baseman, with the SS's voice help, he immediately looks to tag out or throw to get the next runner trapped, if he is vulnerable. If he is not vulnerable, then the original goal is met of getting the lead runner out without either of the other runners advancing more than their one base. If an other runner is vulnerable, then you attack for a 2nd out at 2nd base with it being possible to have two runners that are each closer to 2B. If the Reds could have executed the play better they may not have given up 10 runs in the inning. For 60 years I've been waiting to see a 3rd baseman to get a double play on two tags within a half second, one on a runner coming back to 3rd, then on a runner coming into 3rd. Even rarer would be the 3rd baseman to tag the runner coming into 3rd first, and then tag the runner coming back to 3rd. That would be more rare than another play I've never seen, which is the catcher intentionally dropping a foul tip on a first or 2nd strike to make a runner who seems to have the base stolen go back to his original base for the next pitch.

Too much thought and too many words for a game thread post.

mhs95_06
08-06-2020, 09:18 PM
I'm beginning to think this team is jinxed.Since they fired Dusty for not winning in the playoffs, this team has not played very well. All the cries to fire Dusty snd all we got was misery and a rebuild that didn't work. They've made FA signings and new players. That didn't work so far and the bullpen is horrid. Surely this will end soon.

I will grant the point that they have not played well for much of the time since they fired Dusty. But it was not the fact they didn't have Dddddusty that they went bad, it was they had already peaked in 2012 and failed to achieve what they could have if Dusty was not the manager.

JFLegal
08-06-2020, 09:22 PM
is anyone still defending this group of uninspired underachievers?

RedsBrick
08-06-2020, 09:22 PM
Over the last seven years with this organization, more often then not, they lose.

In part that's true. However, the reality is this organization has had only 4 winning seasons since 2000. So, it's actually much worse.

...and the hits just keep on comin'. Well, except for this team...very few hits are actually coming...

Griffey012
08-06-2020, 09:27 PM

I stopped reading after the 2nd sentence cause I’m pretty sure you nailed it, and I’m a millennial. I agree that was bad Baseball.

texasdave
08-06-2020, 09:29 PM
NVM.

goreds2
08-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Good news: Indians off the books until we meet them in the World Series.

foster15
08-06-2020, 09:40 PM
I will grant the point that they have not played well for much of the time since they fired Dusty. But it was not the fact they didn't have Dddddusty that they went bad, it was they had already peaked in 2012 and failed to achieve what they could have if Dusty was not the manager.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks the same players we've had since 2014 on would've won with Dusty is fooling themselves.

WVRedsFan
08-06-2020, 09:43 PM
I will grant the point that they have not played well for much of the time since they fired Dusty. But it was not the fact they didn't have Dddddusty that they went bad, it was they had already peaked in 2012 and failed to achieve what they could have if Dusty was not the manager.No hidden meaning. Just pointed it out that's when it started.

Griffey012
08-06-2020, 09:47 PM
No hidden meaning. Just pointed it out that's when it started.

Key theme, a manger is always holding the players back until the players play well.

Ironman92
08-06-2020, 10:23 PM

Not cool, things like that don’t matter

Rantly
08-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Maybe I’ll read this tomorrow if I’m bored at the office and without several beers.

Larkin90
08-06-2020, 10:39 PM
Over under 20 wins for this team? I say under.

Under. I'm going with 18-42

Wonderful Monds
08-06-2020, 11:37 PM
Under. I'm going with 18-42

With that kind of winning percentage, that would make them a 48 or 49 win team in a full season depending on how you round it, ie the worst Reds team of all time. So uh, they aren’t that bad.

WVRedsFan
08-07-2020, 02:12 AM
The Reds will be fine regardless. Sometimes, the pitcher is better or the umpire incompetent. We saw many pitches called as strikes or balls that were obviously outside the trike box. We also saw Indian pitchers pitching on the edge of the box and getting favorable results. it all evens out over a 162-game season, but we don't have that. This season really means nothing. It doesn't mean the Reds suck. Enjoy that we have baseball. And don't swing at those sliders.

Larkin90
08-07-2020, 09:11 AM
With that kind of winning percentage, that would make them a 48 or 49 win team in a full season depending on how you round it, ie the worst Reds team of all time. So uh, they aren’t that bad.

I dunno about worst in team history, but they're likely a bottom 5 team in MLB this year. They don't really have to be the worst team in Reds history to run off a terrible record like that though. In a shortened season, they just have to go through a prolonged rough spell.

REDREAD
08-07-2020, 10:13 AM
I dunno about worst in team history, but they're likely a bottom 5 team in MLB this year. They don't really have to be the worst team in Reds history to run off a terrible record like that though. In a shortened season, they just have to go through a prolonged rough spell.

No, they are not a bottom 5 team in MLB.. No way.
Worst teams: Miami, Pittsburg, Royals, Orioles, and Tigers.
To make your case, you would have to argue the Reds are worse than one of those 5 teams. Good luck.

EnglishRed
08-07-2020, 10:35 AM
To make your case, you would have to argue the Reds are worse than one of those 5 teams. Good luck.

Think the argument needs to be more focussed on where this team should be. Pound for pound we are better than those 5 by a long way. At the moment we're playing like we belong on that list.

REDREAD
08-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Think the argument needs to be more focussed on where this team should be. Pound for pound we are better than those 5 by a long way. At the moment we're playing like we belong on that list.

I agree the offense is underachieving now, and the bullpen is a mess.
With that said, we are only 1.5 games behind the Brewers for second place, which is good enough to make the playoffs this year.
So in spite of the bad start, we are still contending, because the Cubs are the only NL Central team that got off to a good start.

Larkin90
08-07-2020, 11:38 AM

Well, 3 of those teams have better records than the Reds. 1 of them is in first place and has only lost 1 game.

Larkin90
08-14-2020, 11:40 AM

Still want to argue that the Reds are better than ANY of these teams? Much less all of them?...I stand by my statement. Bottom 5.